Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

BFG4

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by BFG4 »

Failure

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:37 pm
Teflon's honeymoon period is well and truly over.

Bring in an A-lister with the balls to turn this shower of shit round and coach defending - preferably Simeone.
While I agree on Simeone (or Allegri) I don't think it will make a difference while the wig molester owns us. We need a complete rebuild. We need to offload and replace at least 5 or 6 first teamers and that wig fondling cùnt will never finance that.

HerbertChapman

Post by HerbertChapman »

Bob Bayliss wrote:

Bring in an A-lister with the balls to turn this shower of shit round and coach defending - preferably Simeone.
Like Ancelotti Bob? Apparently we "dodged a bullet there" according to some on here.

I doubt very much if we'd ever see Simeone over here. His loathing for the British is well known. Some family history with the Falklands apparently.

Gunnersaurus

Post by Gunnersaurus »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:01 pm
Bob Bayliss wrote:

While I agree on Simeone (or Allegri) I don't think it will make a difference whole the wig molester owns us. We need a complete rebuild. We need to offload and replace at least 5 or 6 first teamers and that wig fondling cùnt will never finance that.
We need a manager who doesnt give everyone who has failed the last 3 managers a clean slate, he got what he deserved tonight, unfortunately, we feel it too.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Here we are again talking about manager's (head coach?!), have we learnt nothing from the 2nd half of Wenger's reign?, it doesn't matter who we get because whoever it is will be substandard and working on a shoestring budget.

Never mind the corona virus the club has the Kroenke virus.... :banghead:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Let's see if he can even get us to finish higher than the position Emery left us in - I very much doubt it

Garbage football, garbage selections. Mr Nice Guy giving all the little Ozils and Xhakas a clean slate

Brilliant - what an inspired choice

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:44 pm
Here we are again talking about manager's (head coach?!), have we learnt nothing from the 2nd half of Wenger's reign?, it doesn't matter who we get because whoever it is will be substandard and working on a shoestring budget.

And we've had Kroenke Virus for over 10 years. At least Corona Virus puts us out of our misery pretty quick.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Would say our Europa league exit was mainly due to arteta inexperience in this situation. He made poor substitutions, moved formations and players around too much chasing the game. In last 15 minutes of extra time Ozil was right wing back, then left side of front three then centre midfield. Luiz was moved from left to right and left again. Lacazette was left on the pitch far too long. Pepe and Saka had the beating of their full back but rarely did it, as they'd play it back or across when hitting.
He'll learn from this and I'd imagine he'd be annoyed with himself. It felt a bit like the Benfica defeat in 1991/92 season. Graham learnt from that, as Arteta will learn from tonight.
Hope it rallies the team to place sole focus on the league and get them points in the bag. Top 5 becomes a priority. The longer wolves, spurs and manure are in European competition, the better for us.

John F

Post by John F »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:44 pm

I think a lot of supporters will start to self isolate from the Bowl now.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

As I trudged back to Finsbury Park last night after the game, I could hear the pennies dropping all around me. "The football was shit", "can't believe we were so bad" etc. The only one that cracked me up was "I haven't seen us play so badly under Arteta" :D

In an age where virtually every game is broadcast one way or the other I didn't have the heart to ask if he'd watched all but the first 35 minutes of the Chelsea game, the first half of the Leeds game, all of the Palace game, all of the Sheffield United game, the second half of the Bournemouth cup game, all of the Burnley game, the first half of the Newcastle game, all of the away game in Pireus, and large chunks of the Everton game.

Its absolutely fucking dire - it just so happens it needed a foreign team to expose the cracks that existed in all those games

Yeah we drew 2-2 at Chelsea against a team who have lost 8 at home (their worst record since 1986 incidentally)

Yeah we beat powder puff Man Ure 2-0 - the one decent 90 minute display under the manager

The cracks will be blown wide open when we get to April and play the teams that people seem to think we will be rivalling for the top 4

Honest to god - not since the days of Morrow, Jensen, Hillier and Selley clogging up the midfield places have I seen such boring shit served up as in those games listed above - 3 goals in 4 games against Leeds, Palace, Burnley and Sheffield United. Rely on Auba to try and pinch something. Its like GG 1995 with Wrighty up front all over again. If we're going to be 0-0, 1-0, 1-1 kings can we at least hire a manage who perfects that

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

It should be becoming painfully obvious by now that it doesn't really matter who is the manager now, there is so little direction now at the top level of the club that there is now way we can continue to compete at the highest level.

I don't think Arteta has done a bad job so far (although his omission of Martinelli last night was criminal) but it is what he does from now that he will be judged on, and last night was horrendous, and a big warning sign that he might not be up to the job.

I think we might as well write off the CL next season (I can't really see the point of us being in it anyway as we would just be in there to make up the numbers).
I can see it being a tough end to the season, with us hoping to scrape into the Europa League again, although as a wake up call for the club it would probably be best i we fail to qualify for that too.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:23 am
Would say our Europa league exit was mainly due to arteta inexperience in this situation. He made poor substitutions, moved formations and players around too much chasing the game. In last 15 minutes of extra time Ozil was right wing back, then left side of front three then centre midfield. Luiz was moved from left to right and left again. Lacazette was left on the pitch far too long. Pepe and Saka had the beating of their full back but rarely did it, as they'd play it back or across when hitting.
He'll learn from this and I'd imagine he'd be annoyed with himself. It felt a bit like the Benfica defeat in 1991/92 season. Graham learnt from that, as Arteta will learn from tonight.
Hope it rallies the team to place sole focus on the league and get them points in the bag. Top 5 becomes a priority. The longer wolves, spurs and manure are in European competition, the better for us.

You are too kind - he picked the wrong team and hadn't the guts to sub the senior players who were stinking the place out of it. He has pandered to those senior players since he came in, and they have responded with a lax attitude that results in a "cant be arsed" period in every single game. The senior players (ozil, xhaka, laca etc.) don't respect arteta and have been publicly praising him cos he has restored them all to the line up - it is well known that several senior players didn't want arteta to begin with, which is a fair indicator of how they rate him. I don't blame him over the formation changes last night cos he was trying everything and the players just couldn't be arsed

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:18 am
Nos89 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:23 am

You are too kind - he picked the wrong team and hadn't the guts to sub the senior players who were stinking the place out of it. He has pandered to those senior players since he came in, and they have responded with a lax attitude that results in a "cant be arsed" period in every single game. The senior players (ozil, xhaka, laca etc.) don't respect arteta and have been publicly praising him cos he has restored them all to the line up - it is well known that several senior players didn't want arteta to begin with, which is a fair indicator of how they rate him. I don't blame him over the formation changes last night cos he was trying everything and the players just couldn't be arsed
We fired the bloke who was prepared to tackle those players head on, but impatient c.unts that our fans are they weren't prepared to suffer the short term fall out that went with it. Xhaka was as good as gone.....Ozil and Mustafi too. Martinelli was emerging as the natural replacement to the lazy, fat French slob up front .....but the poor little diddums didn't like it did they? We were more than halfway through the rebuilding project that needed to happen and that everyone was crying out for under Wenger. We're now back to the start again with the super coach who wants to be everyone's best buddy. Every supporter who abused Emery deserves what they're getting now. FFS, there was even a piece in the Evening Standard the other night where it was put to Xhaka whether he would consider being captain again!!!!

"Emery lost the dressing room and the players didn't want to play for him" - fucking good job in most cases because with few exceptions we didn't want them playing for us either.
Martinelli did more in 15 minutes last night than Lacazette did in 105. That lazy c.unt had the cheek this week to say he won't push for a move if we don't make the CL......well push away you fucking useless chump and start doing it now, so when the window opens you can go back to playing for a Joe Average team in Ligue 1

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

The thing I think a couple of you lads are either entirely missing - or are just plain ignoring - is that the players we have on staff to replace those "senior players" are actually far worse players - with the exception of Martinelli obviously.

We have one of the worst weakest squads in our history at the moment.

AM-N, Willock, Nelson, the injured Chambers are all garbage of varying degrees at present and none of them are capable of stepping into that team and improving it right now. And some of them never will be.

Arteta is not experienced enough to find a solution to this but let's not rewrite the past ffs. We were complete shit under the likeable Emery. It's like last season's utter collapse in the easy PL run in and the debacle of the EL final and the completely shit chaos early this season never happened ! And hey let's not forget it was Dick that signed Pepe (the club record signing ffs) and Sideshow Chav too.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:01 pm
Bob Bayliss wrote:

While I agree on Simeone (or Allegri) I don't think it will make a difference while the wig molester owns us. We need a complete rebuild. We need to offload and replace at least 5 or 6 first teamers and that wig fondling cùnt will never finance that.
this is the uncomfortable truth.
to balance the books we will now need to sell our best players and any that are brought in are now likely to be of a lesser standard than we already have. This is where hiring Arteta was a mistake - as a mid table club we need tough experienced PL players to drag us up the table.
Chris Wlder or Sean Dyche are managers that the old Arsenal would have turned to for help, in the way that George Graham arrived in 1986.

the club today has the mentality that we are better than those type of managers though.
that mindset will need to change and fast.