Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

OneBardGooner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:49 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:32 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:40 am
Should point out that what I'm saying about GG above is in no way meant to detract from what he did for, and achieved with, the club.

While Wenger may be our most successful manager GG for me is our greatest ever manager. I love the man. 8)

And while some Gooners hate on him for the job he took with the scum I've long gotten over it and forgiven him for it. He did it to say "fuck you" to our board for scapegoating him to save a few quid at a time when most managers were taking bungs. :censored:

I look on GG at the scum much like a really fit bird you've been banging who just after you dump her then starts banging that local arsehole you hate and let's you know she is and then a few years after she has left him you meet up again in a cafe somewhere and you only remember the good bits about her and forget that she banged that inbred twat and you maybe slip her a finger under the table for old times sake. 8)

What, was one of your ex's banged by Herd then ?? :shock: :shock:

No wonder it kicks off with you two on occasion !

:lol: :wink:
A bit harsh on poor old Herdy. :(

Also I was referring to er...... a friend not me yeah um..... a friend. :D :wink:

I was wondering why you gave Retro's postal address to herd!? :?

:D :wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:10 pm
Probably won't be long until the players down tools again. They've done it before so it won't be a problem to them
I don't think the players will down tools as the leaders of that team under emery have left the squad. Believe it or not i don't think a player like luiz or Auba would let players down tools. Koscielny led the dowining of tools because he was a wengerite.
The biggest threat to arteta is ozil and his gang, the longer they are at the club the tougher it will be for him because ozil has world class quality. I wouldn't be surprised that ozil can and does turn it on in training which then leaves other players wondering why he is being left out.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:04 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Probably won't be long until the players down tools again. They've done it before so it won't be a problem to them
I don't think the players will down tools as the leaders of that team under emery have left the squad. Believe it or not i don't think a player like luiz or Auba would let players down tools. Koscielny led the dowining of tools because he was a wengerite.
The biggest threat to arteta is ozil and his gang, the longer they are at the club the tougher it will be for him because ozil has world class quality. I wouldn't be surprised that ozil can and does turn it on in training which then leaves other players wondering why he is being left out.
Don't rule out his 'cup captain' :banghead: :banghead: Xhaka proving to be an absolute c.unt again if the regular starting PL partnership ends up being Partey & Elneny/Ceballos. It has been noticeable that that prick has been dropped from the last 2 league games, albeit injury to Partey might now see him get a temporary reprieve. We'll see what his excuse is this time for spitting the dummy

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:53 am
Good to see the great TA6 questioning arteta's tactics and the effect it is having on the players 8)

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/premier ... d=msedgntp
Mmm.... I dunno augie.... not sure I'd be quoting TA6 as the voice of reason. Fantastic defender, truly great leader and captain. Arsenal Legend.... but let's be honest here, a complete failure as a manager, and often comes across as mad as a box of frogs when he makes these comments. :|

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:13 am
Nos89 wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Don't rule out his 'cup captain' :banghead: :banghead: Xhaka proving to be an absolute c.unt again if the regular starting PL partnership ends up being Partey & Elneny/Ceballos. It has been noticeable that that prick has been dropped from the last 2 league games, albeit injury to Partey might now see him get a temporary reprieve. We'll see what his excuse is this time for spitting the dummy
That would be complete irony overload if Xhakatard was the one to lead the revolt. :lol:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:01 am
augie wrote:
Good to see the great TA6 questioning arteta's tactics and the effect it is having on the players 8)

Mmm.... I dunno augie.... not sure I'd be quoting TA6 as the voice of reason. Fantastic defender, truly great leader and captain. Arsenal Legend.... but let's be honest here, a complete failure as a manager, and often comes across as mad as a box of frogs when he makes these comments. :|
:rubchin: Like Augie :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:51 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

You've heard about me then sid ? :rubchin: :wink: :barscarf:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:24 pm
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

You've heard about me then sid ? :rubchin: :wink: :barscarf:
No Augie, but I’ve been reading your posts for 10 years :wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:02 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:13 am
Nos89 wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
That would be complete irony overload if Xhakatard was the one to lead the revolt. :lol:
One of my real concerns about Xhaka is not that he will lead a revolt against the manager, but that the manager re-installs him in the starting 11 because we've lost 2 games he hasn't started in against supposedly weaker opposition, and sees Partey / Xhaka being the balanced midfield, similar to Petit / vieira.
I do remember when petit first came to Arsenal and he wasn't a hit straight away but alongside Vieira, and in front of a back 2 that absolutely knew what they were doing, he became an integral part of the double winning team.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

Adams does have a point about tactics. However, Adams also suggested a back 4 wins league titles. I disagree with him on this as football has changed. If he were right and during his playing days if the team with the best defence won the league Arsenal would have won 6 league titles as opposed to the two we did win, as we had a better defensive record in the league in 6 different seasons.
The reason for our recent losses are that we have moved to a back 4, with a squad of players that are strongest in a 3-5-2/ 3-4-3 system.
Watching City, Liverpool and chelski title winning sides over the last 5 seasons, they rarely played with a flat back 4. They only line up in a back 4 as graphics for TV line ups.
Recently watched Adams interview with Merson on Sky recorded when wenger was still in charge, and Adams made the point about bellerin never being coached and will not get any better over the "next 6 years". Absolutely spot on. Just because he didn't make it as a big time manager doesn't mean he doesn't understand football, or footballers. Don't write off Mr Arsenal as a nutter, he's a lot smarter than people think he is.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:14 am
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

Adams does have a point about tactics. However, Adams also suggested a back 4 wins league titles. I disagree with him on this as football has changed. If he were right and during his playing days if the team with the best defence won the league Arsenal would have won 6 league titles as opposed to the two we did win, as we had a better defensive record in the league in 6 different seasons.
The reason for our recent losses are that we have moved to a back 4, with a squad of players that are strongest in a 3-5-2/ 3-4-3 system.
Watching City, Liverpool and chelski title winning sides over the last 5 seasons, they rarely played with a flat back 4. They only line up in a back 4 as graphics for TV line ups.
Recently watched Adams interview with Merson on Sky recorded when wenger was still in charge, and Adams made the point about bellerin never being coached and will not get any better over the "next 6 years". Absolutely spot on. Just because he didn't make it as a big time manager doesn't mean he doesn't understand football, or footballers. Don't write off Mr Arsenal as a nutter, he's a lot smarter than people think he is.
Getting a couple of points right about a player here and a player there is very different to being a successful manager. And no matter how much we love the legend he was not a successful manager. We all know a few things about football......

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:03 pm
Nos89 wrote:
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:

Getting a couple of points right about a player here and a player there is very different to being a successful manager. And no matter how much we love the legend he was not a successful manager. We all know a few things about football......

Think you've posted this on the wrong forum mate :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:53 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:03 pm
Nos89 wrote:
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Think you've posted this on the wrong forum mate :lol:
:lol: :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Captain Scarlet's pre Leeds game Pressy thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ5VpwznshQ

:|

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

I can't imagine it's anyone other than ratface Ozil. Unless of course, he's on holiday again.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/55023525