Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

DB10GOONER

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by DB10GOONER »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:05 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:54 pm
What it comes down to is experience. Like any management job in any industry all managers have a golden era where they are still highly motivated but also have accumulated the skills and the experience required to get the best results from the people that work for them.

GG was in his golden era with us - as was Wenger for the first 10 years.

Arteta simply does not have the practical experience to get the best from these players. He doesn't have the savy and street smarts that years of experience give you.

Yes the squad is not strong, but I agree with augie we have many players that are better than the scum players but the scum have a manager with experience in Moron-hio. A busted flush past his best no doubt, but with enough miles under the hood to get more from his scum players than an inexperienced manager would.

Arteta may go on to become a great manager, who knows. But right now he is a novice. And the job is too big for him.

Is that a long winded version of my second paragraph in the post above ? :rubchin:

:D :wink:
No idea mate. I don't read your posts.

:lol: :wink: :wink:

You were talking about "top managers" though. I'm talking about managers like Moron-hio that are no longer top managers but have the experience to get more from limited players. Arteta is neither a top manager or an experienced enough manager that can get that bit extra from players.

Basically similar points but of course mine was made a good deal more intelligently. As per. :D :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

I was never confident nor happy with arteta's appointment, but now I have totally given up on the guy and want him to fcuk off. That is all I have to say about that (forest gump style :wink: ) 8)

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:34 am
I was never confident nor happy with arteta's appointment, but now I have totally given up on the guy and want him to fcuk off. That is all I have to say about that (forest gump style :wink: ) 8)
Wasn't that Stone Cold Steve Austin?

(one for the wrasslin fans that :wink: )

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:52 am
augie wrote:

Forest is sitting on the bench waiting for the bus to go meet jenny and he is telling the old woman about his life story when he says that line

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:23 am
rodders999 wrote:
augie wrote:

Forest is sitting on the bench waiting for the bus to go meet jenny and he is telling the old woman about his life story when he says that line

Alright Barry Norman, take it fucking easy :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:47 am
augie wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:23 am
rodders999 wrote:
augie wrote:

Alright Barry Norman, take it fucking easy :wink:
:lol: :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:48 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
What it comes down to is experience. Like any management job in any industry all managers have a golden era where they are still highly motivated but also have accumulated the skills and the experience required to get the best results from the people that work for them.

Arteta simply does not have the practical experience to get the best from these players. He doesn't have the savy and street smarts that years of experience give you.

Yes the squad is not strong, but I agree with augie we have many players that are better than the scum players but the scum have a manager with experience in Moron-hio. A busted flush past his best no doubt, but with enough miles under the hood to get more from his scum players than an inexperienced manager would.

Arteta may go on to become a great manager, who knows. But right now he is a novice. And the job is too big for him.

Is that a long winded version of my second paragraph in the post above ? :rubchin:

You were talking about "top managers" though. I'm talking about managers like Moron-hio that are no longer top managers but have the experience to get more from limited players. Arteta is neither a top manager or an experienced enough manager that can get that bit extra from players.

Basically similar points but of course mine was made a good deal more intelligently. As per. :D :wink:

Far be it from me to accuse a mod of splitting hairs :) :wink: , but there's no end of experienced managers that lack quality and aren't able to get any extra from their players, but I get your point. Of course, the main thing is that Arteta, despite what he may or may not become, is currently neither experienced nor top quality and that makes him unsuitable for the role at the Arsenal. It was unfair on the fans, the players and indeed, Arteta himself, to appoint a novice.

I think most of us would probably accept that he stays in place until the end of the season, unless he gets into a complete tailspin, as Emery did last autumn imo.

As for intelligent posts, I'm sure that the good people of the OG will be the judge of that. MInd you, let's not forget that you lost the last "poll-off" between us. :lol: :wink:

Just re-read that....I'm not sure that "poll-off" is a well chosen turn of phrase ! :shock: :lol:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I think Arteta is a disaster for the club. Totally out of his depth. No ideas other than be defensive and try not to concede....oh and be obsessed with CB’s and wingers!!?? :banghead:

He’s just not ready and needs to learn at a championship club. Of course Arsenal will give him till the end of the season but he’ll finish in 11th or 12th place (or worse) and it will be impossible for him to stay on......good riddance I say!!

augie

Post by augie »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:32 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:48 am
Retro Gunner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Far be it from me to accuse a mod of splitting hairs :) :wink: , but there's no end of experienced managers that lack quality and aren't able to get any extra from their players, but I get your point. Of course, the main thing is that Arteta, despite what he may or may not become, is currently neither experienced nor top quality and that makes him unsuitable for the role at the Arsenal. It was unfair on the fans, the players and indeed, Arteta himself, to appoint a novice.

I think most of us would probably accept that he stays in place until the end of the season, unless he gets into a complete tailspin, as Emery did last autumn imo.

As for intelligent posts, I'm sure that the good people of the OG will be the judge of that. MInd you, let's not forget that you lost the last "poll-off" between us. :lol: :wink:

Just re-read that....I'm not sure that "poll-off" is a well chosen turn of phrase ! :shock: :lol:

I seem to remember a lot of dogshite being spewed from some members on here about how we had got one of the best up and coming managers in the game, and how he couldnt fail to have learned from pep whilst at citeeh :roll: Absolutely no doubt that has proven to be dilusional at best and embarrassing for any fools that thought it (mind you they probably still believe in him :roll: ) :oops: :oops: :oops:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:01 pm
I seem to remember a lot of dogshite being spewed from some members on here about how we had got one of the best up and coming managers in the game, and how he couldnt fail to have learned from pep whilst at citeeh :roll: Absolutely no doubt that has proven to be dilusional at best and embarrassing for any fools that thought it (mind you they probably still believe in him :roll: ) :oops: :oops: :oops:
I think Arteta could well be a very good up and coming manager. Certainly too soon to write him off!

There’s plenty to be concerned about but it’s not all doom and gloom. I like that he won the FA cup a few months back against the odds, I like that our record against the big 6 is improving, I like the clarity when he talks, as well as the focus and energy he brings. He clearly is starting to gain influence at the club, convinced Auba and Saka to stay and has massively improved the way we set up defensively.

I’m concerned that we’re too regimented to create enough goals and so dull to watch but, in fairness, he asked to spend big on a creative midfielder and was given Partey on deadline day when the main deal fell through.

I’m also worried he’s too strict on some players. Guendouzi is a kid, so perhaps an arm around the shoulder instead of banishing him and ruining his transfer value? Did we also need to banish ozil?

Anyway, let’s see. Time will tell, he deserves to see this season out at the very least! I can certainly understand people’s reservations though :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

g88ner wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:26 am
augie wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:01 pm
I think Arteta could well be a very good up and coming manager. Certainly too soon to write him off!

There’s plenty to be concerned about but it’s not all doom and gloom. I like that he won the FA cup a few months back against the odds, I like that our record against the big 6 is improving, I like the clarity when he talks, as well as the focus and energy he brings. He clearly is starting to gain influence at the club, convinced Auba and Saka to stay and has massively improved the way we set up defensively.

I’m concerned that we’re too regimented to create enough goals and so dull to watch but, in fairness, he asked to spend big on a creative midfielder and was given Partey on deadline day when the main deal fell through.

I’m also worried he’s too strict on some players. Guendouzi is a kid, so perhaps an arm around the shoulder instead of banishing him and ruining his transfer value? Did we also need to banish ozil?

Anyway, let’s see. Time will tell, he deserves to see this season out at the very least! I can certainly understand people’s reservations though :lol:

I understand all that g88ner, but wenger won fa cups when he was a busted flush, and he always spoke with clarity in the interviews too, but he was totally unable to put any of it into practice

In general terms I would say that Gooners can be split into two different positions right now - one one side you have fans like steve o who accept that we are a million miles away from challenging for the league and want us to concentrate on winnable cups, and on the other side you have Gooners like me who feel that we have done with the cups now and want us to focus on something a bit more long term. That might sound arrogant or blaise as a fan who is disrespecting the cups, but the reality is that wenger winning them kept us going down a road of continual decline, so I dont want cup successes if it means keeping a manager in place that isnt good enough for the job (and I'm not just applying that to arteta). Arteta has no plan beyond this season as far as I can see - signing a player like willian you already have a load of players for that position, suggests that winning now is your priority - is this all about arteta building up his own cv/reputation for jobs like the citeeh one become available ?

I know that I am a broken record on the subject, but arteta's view towards young players isnt right imo - I know that most young "prospects" never make the grade so I'm not expecting a miracle here, but let's be honest here and acknowledge that players like xhaka, laca etc are never gonna get us where we want and need to go. Give me a choice of failing with players like smith-rowe, nelson, guendouzi and saliba, or failing with players like xhaka, lacazette, elnenny and luiz, and I know that I would opt for the young players every day of the week and twice on a Sunday cos I know that the younger players MIGHT develop to the required level but those older players NEVER WILL

Ciro

Post by Ciro »

First post, Tapas Pulis out.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:03 pm

Arteta has no plan beyond this season as far as I can see - signing a player like willian you already have a load of players for that position, suggests that winning now is your priority - is this all about arteta building up his own cv/reputation for jobs like the citeeh one become available ?
Fair point on Willian. It’s a signing that doesn’t sit right with me.

Harsh to suggest Arteta is only here to build up his CV though. You may be right of course but I genuinely think he wants to build something..., but the reality is loads of people (including you) don’t rate him at all so if he doesn’t think short term as well, and win games, he’ll never win people over.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top ... att?se=363

Less shots than any other team in the Premier League - yep, less than the likes of Burnley and Sheffield United.

That is absolutely fucking scandalous and I can't believe we've ever been in that position at any point in any PL season

I repeat - if this was a British manager serving up this sort of football, the abuse he would be getting would make his job untenable, especially if there were fans in the ground.

Imagine having less shots than all other 19 PL clubs when you've supposedly got one of the world's leading strikers, another €50m striker and one of the biggest wage bills in the league

Shocking

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:25 pm
https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top ... att?se=363

Less shots than any other team in the Premier League - yep, less than the likes of Burnley and Sheffield United.
Haha 20th for shots :lol: that’s woeful!

Bring Ozil back in!.... oh, we can’t :lol: