Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by SteveO 35 »

In fairness he's the second best Spaniard to have managed the club

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I said he deserved to get as long as the disaster Emery but I retract that. Arteta has to go. He's too inexperienced to do anything here.

northbank123

Too good to go down?

Post by northbank123 »

Let me start this by saying that I don’t think for a minute that we are in danger of going down.

But we are 14th, level with Palace in 15th. Looking above, you could say that we are better or around the level of West Ham, Newcastle and Leeds. Although not on current form.

This doesn’t feel like a poor start ending up in 6th-8th. Think we will end up in 11-14th this year.

Utter utter utter utter utter utter utter fucking garbage.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Forget about how bad the results are

What is he trying to do? What is his style of football? Where are we trying to go?

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

It's a confused mess from start to finish, every game.

At first, we thought the under the cosh parts of our game were to do with a sort of resilience; it wasn't. We rode our luck, we haven't improved and we actually look worse than when he took over.

I'm sorry, but we need to cut the cord while the season is salvageable.

Does anyone actually remember a game in which we played well, this season?

SteveO 35

Re: Too good to go down?

Post by SteveO 35 »

This season yes, but within the next two years definitely not......and with this owner I'd say its highly likely

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Out of his depth and probably needs to resign.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I defy any team who are a goal down at home at half time, to go the entire second half without warming the other keeper's gloves. But this isn't some freak one off, its the normal for a team with fewer shots than any other in the league

This manager in the space of 10 months has strangled any remaining shred of creativity out of the players, the captain looks a shadow of his former self despite his obvious class, and it is the 'new normal' to go hours on end without scoring a goal or even look like scoring one

If anyone kids themselves that one creative player in January will make all the difference then more fool them. The appointment of Arteta was destined to fail from day one. The world isn't full of 37 year olds with zero management experience able to take a team in decline for a decade and turn it round - in fact nobody can think of one. The world however is full of experienced managers with 20-30 years experience who have experienced all the ups and downs and are prepared to adjust and adapt to match the circumstances they find themselves in. We chose the impossible dream rather than the practical reality. Its just a matter of how long now - he's incapable of turning this round

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Worth a punt on Poch before he goes somewhere else?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:39 pm
From a fans perspective? Of course it would be worth a punt

From the board's perspective? Not a chance. When we get beaten by the Scum, the wig wearing c.unt and his son will be on the phone to Lord Wenger asking him for recommendations.....and we all know what type of manager we'd get then......some *word censored* from Le Havre or somewhere who has Wenger's book by his bedside

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Can’t make any defence for him anymore!
Still back him on Ozil, Dozi etc, had the balls to sort them out but not the nous to manage what he has left!

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:49 pm
Can’t make any defence for him anymore!
Still back him on Ozil, Dozi etc, had the balls to sort them out but not the nous to manage what he has left!
If you fired him tomorrow Sid, who would you be giving the job to given the options we've already passed up over the last couple of years?

Allegri? Poch?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Now officially our worst ever PL start - breaking records like his mate Arsene by the week now.

I was 7 last time Wolves won at our place too :D

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Just get him out now

Either that or start focusing on the main problem at the club - Stan Kroenke

augie

Post by augie »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:39 pm

We need an experienced manager and have needed one for last 12 months. Would poch be top of my list no, but he would be a massive upgrade on pep's cone boy, Normally allegri would be my preferred choice, but right now I think that we need someone with experience in english football - hell even eddie howe would be a massive upgrade on arteta

I'd like to think that poch joining would sting those c.unts down to the road, but I dont think it would - they are so in love with their latest top quality manager who will be lauded as to man to take them forward, but who will end up winning zero trophies with them like all his predecessors :roll: