Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

northbank123

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by northbank123 »

Sid - agree.

It’s not really individual decisions, he is just struggling to impose any sort of identity.

augie

Re: Too good to go down?

Post by augie »

With the players we have I would say that we are too good to go down, but with arteta managing them it will be tighter than it should be cos his inexperience could be a massive factor

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Luckily there will probably be at least 3 teams worse than us but
P 10 W 4 D 1 L 5 doest look very good when you consider we win the first 2 :oops: fuck me were so shite..i fear a savage and heavy beating next Sunday :cry:

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

falkirk goon wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:27 pm
Luckily there will probably be at least 3 teams worse than us but
P 10 W 4 D 1 L 5 doesnt look very good when you consider we won the first 2 :oops: fuck me were so shite..i fear a savage and heavy beating next Sunday :cry:

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Too rich to go down and too big to go down. Good doesn’t come into it.

Over 100 years since arsenal were last relegated. Less likely than the scum winning the league.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Too rich to go down and too big to go down. Good doesn’t come into it.

Over 100 years since arsenal were last relegated. Less likely than the scum winning the league.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Lowest points total since 1981 - fuck me, that's when 3 points for a win was introduced !!

But our genius has spoken:

Arsenal manager Arteta: "They had two shots on target and scored both times. In the second half, my team showed a resilience, togetherness and belief to try to win the game back. We generated good chances but all players go through periods where they struggle to score goals"

Resilience, togetherness and belief you see. Fuck me, I'd hate to see the performance when the players aren't resilient, together and full of belief

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Level on points with Palace - one better goal difference. They've got West Brom next weekend

Brighton 3 points behind, same goal difference. They're home to Southampton next weekend

Not inconceivable that we'll be 16th in the first week of December. Absolutely incredible speed of decline, being accelerated by the week but thankfully I reckon West Brom, Sheffield United and Fulham are shit enough to keep us up

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

To say we've hit a wall with Arteta is an understatement. We have to stick with him to overcome this difficult moment.
It was always going to happen and the reaction by supporters is ever so predictable. When we were at this point with emery last season a majority said mourinho was over the hill, rodgers was a shit coach after coming from scotland and ancellotti was too expensive. I mentioned hassenhuttl as an outside choice and was slagged off for that.
No doubt the usual names will be rolled out Allegri, Pochettino, Howe and even wenger to return. Question i have is why hasn't allegri worked for two years? Why is pochettino not been picked up by any other team in europe yet? A year out of management in football is too long.
The board will not sack arteta until the end of the season, and even then they will bring in anyone established. I think arteta can pull this round we just need to be patient.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:51 pm
goonersid wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:49 pm
Can’t make any defence for him anymore!
Still back him on Ozil, Dozi etc, had the balls to sort them out but not the nous to manage what he has left!
If you fired him tomorrow Sid, who would you be giving the job to given the options we've already passed up over the last couple of years?

Allegri? Poch?
I don’t know. Don’t like the idea of pokeynose though.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:21 am
To say we've hit a wall with Arteta is an understatement. We have to stick with him to overcome this difficult moment.
It was always going to happen and the reaction by supporters is ever so predictable. When we were at this point with emery last season a majority said mourinho was over the hill, rodgers was a shit coach after coming from scotland and ancellotti was too expensive. I mentioned hassenhuttl as an outside choice and was slagged off for that.
No doubt the usual names will be rolled out Allegri, Pochettino, Howe and even wenger to return. Question i have is why hasn't allegri worked for two years? Why is pochettino not been picked up by any other team in europe yet? A year out of management in football is too long.
The board will not sack arteta until the end of the season, and even then they will bring in anyone established. I think arteta can pull this round we just need to be patient.
Just flicking back through last season and trying to find the moment under Emery when we were 14th, lost 3 PL home games in a row and had less shots than any other team in the league.

Now apparently there was a game against Watford where they had a few shots, but it isn't often mentioned round these parts. Rodders might be able to help on that one - I think we lost about 7-2 or something

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:

Arsene is that you ? :shock: :wink:

Buddy arteta hasnt a scooby. This isnt a "difficult moment" - we have lost more league games than we have won, we have a minus goal difference, we have the least amount of shots in the whole league, and we have our lowest points total at this stage for many a season. Bamford, a bog average striker at best, has almost as many goals as auba has had shots this season and arteta has no clue how to remedy that. He is showing a scandalous amount of loyalty to shit players like xhaka, willian and laca- we are not talking about out of form players here, we are talking about players who are simply not good enough.

If he is left in charge for much longer he will ruin the careers of potential quality players like saka and martinelli - I've seen it happen under wenger many many times, and believe me the disorganisation and coaching will destroy them at an age where they should be learning good habits

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:24 am
Nos89 wrote:

Arsene is that you ? :shock: :wink:

Buddy arteta hasnt a scooby. This isnt a "difficult moment" - we have lost more league games than we have won, we have a minus goal difference, we have the least amount of shots in the whole league, and we have our lowest points total at this stage for many a season. Bamford, a bog average striker at best, has almost as many goals as auba has had shots this season and arteta has no clue how to remedy that. He is showing a scandalous amount of loyalty to shit players like xhaka, willian and laca- we are not talking about out of form players here, we are talking about players who are simply not good enough.

If he is left in charge for much longer he will ruin the careers of potential quality players like saka and martinelli - I've seen it happen under wenger many many times, and believe me the disorganisation and coaching will destroy them at an age where they should be learning good habits
Indeed -for my money Wenger ruined the Ox's career at a time when he even persisted with playing the likes of Ramsey in a wide midfield role just to keep his hardcore of 'bought in' luvvies happy, whilst players like Gnabry were afforded a fraction of the chances that never will be's lilke Gervinho were given. I will be very interested to see what happens when a fully fit Martinelli is available. The majority of fans would like to see Saka-Auba-Martinelli as a front three, but do you think that will happen when this stubborn c.unt has gone out on a limb for fucking Willian?? Not a chance.

My only hope of any change now is that Arteta continues taking us down so far that he either relegates us himself, or leaves the situation so hopeless that the next out of depth c.unt appointed by this board does it instead. I think relegation is the only way Stan will 'cash out' when the riches of the PL disappear. All the while the TV rewards come flooding in and sponsorships that go with being part of the PL, I don't think he cares whether we finish 1st or 17th.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

northbank123 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:22 pm
Let me start this by saying that I don’t think for a minute that we are in danger of going down.

But we are 14th, level with Palace in 15th. Looking above, you could say that we are better or around the level of West Ham, Newcastle and Leeds. Although not on current form.

This doesn’t feel like a poor start ending up in 6th-8th. Think we will end up in 11-14th this year.

Utter utter utter utter utter utter utter fucking garbage.
Sorry but everything on this thread is already covered in the Arteta thread so I'm merging it.

DB10GOONER

Re: Where will we finish

Post by DB10GOONER »

Same thread as NB123 too good thread and all on Arteta thread. Merged.