Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by SteveO 35 »

Sling yer hook now you fucking useless c.unt

Absolute imposter

Prepared to give him a chance today to try something else and he's picked the same useless c.unts who let him and us down every time

You deserve every bit of shit coming your way sunshine. Phone Pep up and see if he needs some prick to analyse the training sessions again

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:39 pm
In all honesty, we need an experienced manager who is capable of working (well) on a budget. I honestly think the right person to establish a system, build a team on/around a set budget and, at least turn us into a tricky team to play against, is Rafa Benitez.

He also won the EL with Chelsea the season they were in the shit.
''I want to talk about the facts!'' :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Out now. As shit as we were under Wenger and Emery. Has to go.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

A year ago I had hope

Now I have none

Watching the worst football I've witnessed in the last 25 years

Get the fuck out of our club - there is no plan sunshine, you're absolutely fucking clueless. You might fool many still with the slick hair, smooth dressing and fancy words, but I've seen it since day one. I'd challenge anyone to tell me 5 games under Arteta they've enjoyed watching. If you we're English with a gruff voice and wearing a tracksuit you'd be called a tactically inept dinosaur. Just fuck off

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:23 pm
Out now. As shit as we were under Wenger and Emery. Has to go.
:D :D :D

"As shit"......."as shit" - more shit than we've been under any manager statistically for 40 odd years

This is "MORE SHIT" x 10 than anything served up by those two. Wenger would have us beating Burnley next week 4-1.......Emery probably 3-2. This c.unt will have Willian, Xhaka et al back in the fucking team hoping to scrape 1-0 with a penalty

Its football from the dark ages

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

WE ARE IN THE BOTTOM 6

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:31 pm
WE ARE IN THE BOTTOM 6
Change it to bottom 5 after Brighton beat Southampton tomorrow

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

I am struggling to think of a comparable-sized club who have been this low in the table at this stage of the season. The only two I can come up with are the bin dippers under Roy Hodgson and he was sacked by September and Everton in the early 90s and they sacked Howard Kendall by December. Nobody else has been this low, this rudderless and with such lack of hope without making a change for fuck knows how many years. At no other established club would this be acceptable.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Quite simply, he doesn’t seem to know what he is doing.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

This is the worst I can remember (and I remember the early 80s and defeats at places like York City)

I think we finished near the relegation area in the 70s. Were things worse back then?

I am just finding the matches unwatchable- i went to watch my local non league side yesterday just so that I could enjoy football again.

The worry I have is that we are yet to hit rock bottom - things could potentially get a lot worse.
There is no ambition at the club, it is rotten from top to bottom.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

i just dont care now. the wenger days i became numb to it as i knew nothing would change till he went. we always said a manager not blindly loyalty to shite and with a modicum of tactics could get a lot more out of the squad than AW could. initially emery did, but i dont know what went wrong for him, be it ineptness, player power or what, but wrong it went and he had to go as we were going nowhere, with no plan, no defined style etc. now its even worse we are going one way, down. (but just because arteta is so clearly the wrong man it doesn't mean dick was the right one, stevo!)

the team is massively less than the sum of its parts, undermined by no tactics and the continued selection of 'favorites' that hinder us and mean we can never improve. the issue i now have is with wenger we knew he would go eventually, now arteta will get a 'chance' to improve his own mess as the powers at the club are clueless and careless. people say we wont go anywhere with the kroenkes as they are not putting money in...thats not the issue. plenty has been spent, more than the scum and loads of others who are so far ahead its scary. the issue with them is uninterest. we all know this will fester and arteta will carry on stinking us out. i imagine eventually we will recover a bit to midtable...wow...but have no prospect of anymore.

hes displaying all the traits of wenger, blind spot to crap players and misplaced loyalty. i think there is still a malign influence of ozil and player unrest too, but he should come out publically with it if its undermining things.

i knw none of us wanted maureen, but he could be getting a hell of a lot more out of this lot than arteta is and would hang some out to dry as well. the only thing that can save us is the appointment of a experienced manager who knows how to succeed, i would take allegri and poch in an instant but neither would come here now. benitez too and more realistic, but we just know we will keep appointing young 'innovative' managers. i fear we are fucked. and the scum are going to win the league which just compounds it. ffs id take relegation and winding up to stop that.

no interest in this till he fucks off as nothing will change.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:03 pm
This is the worst I can remember (and I remember the early 80s and defeats at places like York City)

I think we finished near the relegation area in the 70s. Were things worse back then?

I am just finding the matches unwatchable- i went to watch my local non league side yesterday just so that I could enjoy football again.

The worry I have is that we are yet to hit rock bottom - things could potentially get a lot worse.
There is no ambition at the club, it is rotten from top to bottom.
I remember those days too Rob. I first went in the late 70s and watched quite a lot of crap in the 80s before GG. People used to mock Don Howe for being defensive but fuck me he'd look like Pep and Cruyff rolled into one compared to this cock

Imagine being so bad that Brighton could knock us back to 16th with only a couple of weeks to go to Christmas. Imagine being so bad that a team I thought would beat Derby's points total in Fulham have scored 1 more goal than us. Imagine having a world class goalscorer at your disposal whose confidence is now so low he's making Patrick Bamford look like a worldie. Imagine being so bad you could actually afford to exile one midfielder totally and pack 2 off on loan when you see Elneny, Xhaka and Ceballos week in week out.

Nos89

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:24 am
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:21 am
To say we've hit a wall with Arteta is an understatement. We have to stick with him to overcome this difficult moment.
It was always going to happen and the reaction by supporters is ever so predictable. When we were at this point with emery last season a majority said mourinho was over the hill, rodgers was a shit coach after coming from scotland and ancellotti was too expensive. I mentioned hassenhuttl as an outside choice and was slagged off for that.
No doubt the usual names will be rolled out Allegri, Pochettino, Howe and even wenger to return. Question i have is why hasn't allegri worked for two years? Why is pochettino not been picked up by any other team in europe yet? A year out of management in football is too long.
The board will not sack arteta until the end of the season, and even then they will bring in anyone established. I think arteta can pull this round we just need to be patient.

Arsene is that you ? :shock: :wink:

Buddy arteta hasnt a scooby. This isnt a "difficult moment" - we have lost more league games than we have won, we have a minus goal difference, we have the least amount of shots in the whole league, and we have our lowest points total at this stage for many a season. Bamford, a bog average striker at best, has almost as many goals as auba has had shots this season and arteta has no clue how to remedy that. He is showing a scandalous amount of loyalty to shit players like xhaka, willian and laca- we are not talking about out of form players here, we are talking about players who are simply not good enough.

If he is left in charge for much longer he will ruin the careers of potential quality players like saka and martinelli - I've seen it happen under wenger many many times, and believe me the disorganisation and coaching will destroy them at an age where they should be learning good habits
Many many times?? Your memory must be playing tricks on you. Wenger didn't ruin potential quality players.
Wenger got the best out of average players, replaced genuine quality with absurd average players and eventually couldn't keep repeating the trick. Kept us in the top 4 for 21 seasons. It was our golden period but wenger didn't make the most of it because he was left behind tactically by the likes of Sam Allerdyce.
Arteta is a better coach and will be good for the young players. The problem Arteta is facing at the moment, like all young managers, is that he hasn't got the belief in himself to manage the players confidently...yet. A great example is Aubameyang . Arteta believes he is more effective out wide, the player wants to play through the middle. Arteta has moved him to the middle and he has only scored once in 10 games. Wenger (and Emery) would not have allowed it to go on this long. He needs to listen to the players and then decide and have confidence in his decisions. By this I mean he has to stop wanting to be their mate, start telling them confidently he is right.

Bob Bayliss

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:20 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:24 am
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:21 am
To say we've hit a wall with Arteta is an understatement. We have to stick with him to overcome this difficult moment.
It was always going to happen and the reaction by supporters is ever so predictable. When we were at this point with emery last season a majority said mourinho was over the hill, rodgers was a shit coach after coming from scotland and ancellotti was too expensive. I mentioned hassenhuttl as an outside choice and was slagged off for that.
No doubt the usual names will be rolled out Allegri, Pochettino, Howe and even wenger to return. Question i have is why hasn't allegri worked for two years? Why is pochettino not been picked up by any other team in europe yet? A year out of management in football is too long.
The board will not sack arteta until the end of the season, and even then they will bring in anyone established. I think arteta can pull this round we just need to be patient.

Arsene is that you ? :shock: :wink:

Buddy arteta hasnt a scooby. This isnt a "difficult moment" - we have lost more league games than we have won, we have a minus goal difference, we have the least amount of shots in the whole league, and we have our lowest points total at this stage for many a season. Bamford, a bog average striker at best, has almost as many goals as auba has had shots this season and arteta has no clue how to remedy that. He is showing a scandalous amount of loyalty to shit players like xhaka, willian and laca- we are not talking about out of form players here, we are talking about players who are simply not good enough.

If he is left in charge for much longer he will ruin the careers of potential quality players like saka and martinelli - I've seen it happen under wenger many many times, and believe me the disorganisation and coaching will destroy them at an age where they should be learning good habits
Many many times?? Your memory must be playing tricks on you. Wenger didn't ruin potential quality players.
Wenger got the best out of average players, replaced genuine quality with absurd average players and eventually couldn't keep repeating the trick. Kept us in the top 4 for 21 seasons. It was our golden period but wenger didn't make the most of it because he was left behind tactically by the likes of Sam Allerdyce.
Arteta is a better coach and will be good for the young players. The problem Arteta is facing at the moment, like all young managers, is that he hasn't got the belief in himself to manage the players confidently...yet. A great example is Aubameyang . Arteta believes he is more effective out wide, the player wants to play through the middle. Arteta has moved him to the middle and he has only scored once in 10 games. Wenger (and Emery) would not have allowed it to go on this long. He needs to listen to the players and then decide and have confidence in his decisions. By this I mean he has to stop wanting to be their mate, start telling them confidently he is right.
So we are now a nursery for inexperienced young managers developing their confidence and self-belief. Right.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

The Spanish Sammy Lee