Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

falkirk goon

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by falkirk goon »

Bin lids A 0-2
Boornleh H Win or draw
Soton H Draw or turdholing
Everton A turdholing
Citeh H(cup) turdholing
Chavs H turdholing
Brighton A Draw or turdholing

Fuck I'm being generous Brighton will fuck us.looking at the above set of games it looks like 4-6 pts at the very best and an anal mauling in the cup.We could very well be in a relegation battle come the new year.

Nos89

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by Nos89 »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:40 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:20 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:24 am
Nos89 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:21 am
To say we've hit a wall with Arteta is an understatement. We have to stick with him to overcome this difficult moment.
It was always going to happen and the reaction by supporters is ever so predictable. When we were at this point with emery last season a majority said mourinho was over the hill, rodgers was a shit coach after coming from scotland and ancellotti was too expensive. I mentioned hassenhuttl as an outside choice and was slagged off for that.
No doubt the usual names will be rolled out Allegri, Pochettino, Howe and even wenger to return. Question i have is why hasn't allegri worked for two years? Why is pochettino not been picked up by any other team in europe yet? A year out of management in football is too long.
The board will not sack arteta until the end of the season, and even then they will bring in anyone established. I think arteta can pull this round we just need to be patient.

Arsene is that you ? :shock: :wink:

Buddy arteta hasnt a scooby. This isnt a "difficult moment" - we have lost more league games than we have won, we have a minus goal difference, we have the least amount of shots in the whole league, and we have our lowest points total at this stage for many a season. Bamford, a bog average striker at best, has almost as many goals as auba has had shots this season and arteta has no clue how to remedy that. He is showing a scandalous amount of loyalty to shit players like xhaka, willian and laca- we are not talking about out of form players here, we are talking about players who are simply not good enough.

If he is left in charge for much longer he will ruin the careers of potential quality players like saka and martinelli - I've seen it happen under wenger many many times, and believe me the disorganisation and coaching will destroy them at an age where they should be learning good habits
Many many times?? Your memory must be playing tricks on you. Wenger didn't ruin potential quality players.
Wenger got the best out of average players, replaced genuine quality with absurd average players and eventually couldn't keep repeating the trick. Kept us in the top 4 for 21 seasons. It was our golden period but wenger didn't make the most of it because he was left behind tactically by the likes of Sam Allerdyce.
Arteta is a better coach and will be good for the young players. The problem Arteta is facing at the moment, like all young managers, is that he hasn't got the belief in himself to manage the players confidently...yet. A great example is Aubameyang . Arteta believes he is more effective out wide, the player wants to play through the middle. Arteta has moved him to the middle and he has only scored once in 10 games. Wenger (and Emery) would not have allowed it to go on this long. He needs to listen to the players and then decide and have confidence in his decisions. By this I mean he has to stop wanting to be their mate, start telling them confidently he is right.
So we are now a nursery for inexperienced young managers developing their confidence and self-belief. Right.
Well, he was never on my list of managers after we should hire after emery, or after wenger. However, it seems that not only did we develop players then sell them when they got good, we're now doing it for managers. It is sadly what we have become. A nursery for developing quality players and managers.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

The goodwill earned by winning the FA Cup has worn off. There needs to be some transaction in the league if Arteta is to remain. I dont believe in this idea that if you are patient results will come. When that happens its just a natural reversion to the mean - the more games you lose the closer you are to the next win. If we win our next game, or next two league games we will not be 'back on track' as every loss or draw is points dropped that cant be made up. When you lose at home to Villa that's 3 points lost in the wind.

Truth is we have already blown a top 4 chance and the best case scenario is a 5th of 6th place finish. Although more likely we will finish between 7th-10th like last season. That being said there is still a viable chance we finish in the bottom half of the table.

There is nothing Arteta has done to prove he is worthy of the job long term. We dicked around when Klopp was available because Wenger wouldn't leave. If Allegri is to signal his intention to manage in England, we cant dither out of this idea we owe Arteta a chance, because Man United will be more ruthless and unlike Arteta, Ole is actually a Man United legend.

Arteta is not Henry or Patrick Vieiria or Dennis Bergkamp. I am completely indifferent to him as a former player and do not feel any kinship simply because he played for us. We dont owe Arteta shit

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

1 point in 4 games (which we were lucky to get), 7 goals in our last 10 games. Dreadful doesn’t do it justice.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

There are 2 big jobs in this country likely to be offered up any time soon - ourselves and Man U. The little goblin has done what he did last season and I think if they go through to the knockout stages of the CL and stay in or around the top 4 he'll be safe for a while

So this puts us back to the period when we could have let Wenger leave (2014,2016) and appoint whoever was available e.g. Pep, Klopp etc.

The PL remains a big draw for a top manager, London the ultimate city to work in and Arsenal still a club steeped in history and tradition. With very few exceptions we could attract anyone.......

So tell me why Pochettino wouldn't want the job if it was the biggest available job in England? Or Benitez? Or Allegri? Or any top manager here or overseas with 5 years+ experience of managing?

The answer is that we're limited by the fear and lack of know-how of our board and owner. There are dozens of people that would take this job - far superior options to what we have today. But like in 2014 and 2016 we won't do it will we - we'll stick with this shite and fall further back.

If you called Pochettino today and offered him the job this week, he'd be all over it and willing to start next week. And the reason why that is a bad idea is........??

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I think up until now Arteta has managed to avoid criticism for a couple of reasons:

1. the defeats have mainly been against the top clubs - lets face it few clubs will get anything at Liverpool, City and the scum.
Leicester too can sadly now be considered one of the top 6 or 7. Only the Villa & Wolves defeats were real concerns.

2. every Thursday night we get a win to keep the modern fanbase happy.
the club must be terrified of missing out on that next season - I can't wait until we are out of it to be honest. It really does not help.

but after our return to winning ways in Ireland this week then there will be no hiding place for Arteta, and he has 2 intense months where the pressure will be really on him. it will be interesting to see how we end up at the end of January.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Another deluded wanker ...this time Arteta.....

I saw a team. I saw my team full of desire, passion, dominating completely the game, creating all the chances, creating all the situations.

We had 2 shots on target all game. We lost the game 2-0. It all went perfectly to plan for Mourinho.

He talks a good game, but sadly hes NOT a manager

John F

Post by John F »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:24 am
I think up until now Arteta has managed to avoid criticism for a couple of reasons:

1. the defeats have mainly been against the top clubs - lets face it few clubs will get anything at Liverpool, City and the scum.
Leicester too can sadly now be considered one of the top 6 or 7. Only the Villa & Wolves defeats were real concerns.

2. every Thursday night we get a win to keep the modern fanbase happy.
the club must be terrified of missing out on that next season - I can't wait until we are out of it to be honest. It really does not help.

but after our return to winning ways in Ireland this week then there will be no hiding place for Arteta, and he has 2 intense months where the pressure will be really on him. it will be interesting to see how we end up at the end of January.
I would add the empty stadiums as the atmosphere would of been toxic for the Wolves game had it been full.It can be possible for the board and Arteta to minimise exposure to criticism by supporters if they do not pay attention to the social media but it is very difficult to avoid in a full stadium as Emery found out.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
To say we've hit a wall with Arteta is an understatement. We have to stick with him to overcome this difficult moment.
It was always going to happen and the reaction by supporters is ever so predictable. When we were at this point with emery last season a majority said mourinho was over the hill, rodgers was a shit coach after coming from scotland and ancellotti was too expensive. I mentioned hassenhuttl as an outside choice and was slagged off for that.
No doubt the usual names will be rolled out Allegri, Pochettino, Howe and even wenger to return. Question i have is why hasn't allegri worked for two years? Why is pochettino not been picked up by any other team in europe yet? A year out of management in football is too long.
The board will not sack arteta until the end of the season, and even then they will bring in anyone established. I think arteta can pull this round we just need to be patient.

Buddy arteta hasnt a scooby. This isnt a "difficult moment" - we have lost more league games than we have won, we have a minus goal difference, we have the least amount of shots in the whole league, and we have our lowest points total at this stage for many a season. Bamford, a bog average striker at best, has almost as many goals as auba has had shots this season and arteta has no clue how to remedy that. He is showing a scandalous amount of loyalty to shit players like xhaka, willian and laca- we are not talking about out of form players here, we are talking about players who are simply not good enough.

If he is left in charge for much longer he will ruin the careers of potential quality players like saka and martinelli - I've seen it happen under wenger many many times, and believe me the disorganisation and coaching will destroy them at an age where they should be learning good habits
Many many times?? Your memory must be playing tricks on you. Wenger didn't ruin potential quality players.
Wenger got the best out of average players, replaced genuine quality with absurd average players and eventually couldn't keep repeating the trick. Kept us in the top 4 for 21 seasons. It was our golden period but wenger didn't make the most of it because he was left behind tactically by the likes of Sam Allerdyce.
Arteta is a better coach and will be good for the young players. The problem Arteta is facing at the moment, like all young managers, is that he hasn't got the belief in himself to manage the players confidently...yet. A great example is Aubameyang . Arteta believes he is more effective out wide, the player wants to play through the middle. Arteta has moved him to the middle and he has only scored once in 10 games. Wenger (and Emery) would not have allowed it to go on this long. He needs to listen to the players and then decide and have confidence in his decisions. By this I mean he has to stop wanting to be their mate, start telling them confidently he is right.

Gnarby, diarra, wilshere, bentley, clichy, bellend, pennant, wally, chesney, senderos were players with massive potential when they entered his first team squad that I can think of off top of my head who stagnated with us cos of a total lack of coaching and left it too late to leave, or only went on to progress and fulfill their potential after they got away from the french cock. I am certain there are many, many more names if I can be arsed to check back

markyp

Post by markyp »

augie wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:48 am
Nos89 wrote:
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Gnarby, diarra, wilshere, bentley, clichy, bellend, pennant, wally, chesney, senderos were players with massive potential when they entered his first team squad that I can think of off top of my head who stagnated with us cos of a total lack of coaching and left it too late to leave, or only went on to progress and fulfill their potential after they got away from the french cock. I am certain there are many, many more names if I can be arsed to check back
Arshavin and the ox too,both played out of position

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Drive you lot mad , but you can add Bendtner to that list . Played by the great Arsene on the left wing yet scored 30 goals in about 75 matches for Denmark as a centre forward and 24 for us whilst being played out of position as an occasional substitute.
He went off the rails but I reckon Wenger should carry a lot of the blame for thast.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Arteta is not getting judged by the same criteria that resulted in Emery getting sacked, we get hack journalists who always support other clubs saying give him more time, he needs to learn on the job, he's a top coach despite any evidence from his Man Citeh record. The same hacks who supported Wonga for years, be careful what you wish for :blah:

Meanwhile the Wengerite section of our support who take their cue from the scummy journalists above were all joined together in quickly getting on Emery's case despite his record in Europe & Spain, even when he had narrowly failed to get CL football in the league & got to the Europa League final. More than Wenger managed in his last 2 seasons in the job. I thought Emery should have been given another transfer window & still believe that.

The club didn't have a scooby when they reacted suddenly with media & AKB fan pressure & sacked Emery, no replacement was even lined up at the time. They didn't have a candidate waiting like the Dustbin Lids did when they let Pochettino go, they already had Mouninio walking through the revolving door despite many of the Swamp Dwellers support strongly saying they didn't want him nor his football "style"

Although Captain Black is certainly a dead man walking, he won't get sacked in the next month or two, the club obviously won't have anyone lined up yet again so the team & fans would be in limbo.

Who the fuck is Arsenal's managing director nowadays anyway, a former club commercial manager, does he even know how to plan & operate a football club. The club is rotten from top to bottom. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

The man has one tactic, and that's to bomb down the left. ONE tactic. We've NEVER been THIS predictable.

shu

Post by shu »

Don't worry Arsene will be back to save us from relegation , ffs

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Not sure if anyone saw it, but Gary Neville was on the news over the weekend being interviewed mostly about his strong opinions on the Government's handling of the coronavirus. He referred to it being similar to when he was appointed Valencia manager and said he could recognise people 'out of their depth' handling a situation they couldn't control.

Whatever you think of Neville I thought it was a very honest thing to say - how many people out there would admit to being 'out of their depth' when they are still relatively young and a public figure?

I see us in exactly the same position with our manager - nothing he is trying is working out, and he's paralysed by fear, not making any positive change. I said I was prepared to cut him some slack if he dared to do something differently - but he had that chance in the game that matters most to us and he chose to play Xhaka, Willian and Bellerin again, left Smith Rowe out of the squad completely, and turned to Ceballos rather than Elneny or Maitland Niles when Partey went off. He also had his old buddy Mustafi ready on the bench ahead of Saliba or Sokratis who despite his faults is 10x the defender of that prick Mustafi.

The bloke is saying loads of lovely things, being nice to all the players, but the reality is he's living the definition of insanity i.e. trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome.

I bet all of those pricks I've listed above play against Burnley. It won't matter how Smith Rowe , Nelson, Willock, Maitland Niles or any fledglings do on Thursday......that sorry bunch of pricks listed above will take to the field against Burnley. Bellerin will still be unable to cross a ball, Willian will still give it away time and time again, Xhaka and Ceballos will lumber around like two 1930s hod-carriers........

He has to go, and he has to go now. Time's up - you had loads of chances to try something different buddy, and you aren't willing to do it.

Our only world class player now clearly doesn't believe in what we're doing and if you ask me who I'd rather keep, Auba or El Beige.......well, just say it wasn't a hard call when we had to choose between Ian Wright and Bruce Rioch