Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by SteveO 35 »

Why would anyone fire a manager when all the players are "bought in" and when he can say "good evening" in the Queen's English. The sack is only reserved for those who have 'lost the dressing room' remember, and as we can all see our captain is loving every minute of life on the field......so long may it continue. All hail King Arteta - from Accrington to Exeter, he'll have us "bought in" and "trusting the process" wherever we go

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:16 am
Why would anyone fire a manager when all the players are "bought in" and when he can say "good evening" in the Queen's English. The sack is only reserved for those who have 'lost the dressing room' remember, and as we can all see our captain is loving every minute of life on the field......so long may it continue. All hail King Arteta - from Accrington to Exeter, he'll have us "bought in" and "trusting the process" wherever we go

Yesterday either the clubs pr machine kicked into life, or the players fearing what might be ahead decided to weigh in, but whatever the reason it was noticeable that partey and mari both came out strong defending pep's waterboy - yhey too spoke about the process and that it wont be a short term fix but that arteta has us going in the right direction (dropping down like a stone but that is a direction :roll: ). Partey actually went further by saying that arteta was the big reason why he signed for us - buddy we all know that living in london on a much bigger wage is the real reason so lets not bullshit eh.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:02 am
SteveO 35 wrote:

Yesterday either the clubs pr machine kicked into life, or the players fearing what might be ahead decided to weigh in, but whatever the reason it was noticeable that partey and mari both came out strong defending pep's waterboy - yhey too spoke about the process and that it wont be a short term fix but that arteta has us going in the right direction (dropping down like a stone but that is a direction :roll: ). Partey actually went further by saying that arteta was the big reason why he signed for us - buddy we all know that living in london on a much bigger wage is the real reason so lets not bullshit eh.
Yep, its a noticeable change with the old PR machine eh? I'm afraid Emery suffered what Moyes did at Old Trafford - first man up after the dear leader with the shadow of that looming large in the background. Those people who were so convinced that he was a clown and needed replacing, are now so vested in the new manager that they have to justify everything back to the 'long term process'. What a load of old cobblers. As I've said before what an arrogant and misguided industry football is when it thinks a 37 year old novice can taking one of the biggest 'companies' and transform it. Klopp, Maureen, Wenger, Benitez.......you name them and look at their peak years......late 40s to mid 50s.......earn the right lower down, make your mistakes and get a shot at the big time 10 years later

And as for Partey - yes of course son. Why would you want to be top of La Liga in a team that has conceded 2 goals all season playing under a manager that has transformed that club for the best part of a decade, when you can play in a team that barely has a shot on goal and are vying it out with Fulham and Burnley, playing for a manager in his first full season. Natural choice right?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:02 am
augie wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Yep, its a noticeable change with the old PR machine eh? I'm afraid Emery suffered what Moyes did at Old Trafford - first man up after the dear leader with the shadow of that looming large in the background. Those people who were so convinced that he was a clown and needed replacing, are now so vested in the new manager that they have to justify everything back to the 'long term process'. What a load of old cobblers. As I've said before what an arrogant and misguided industry football is when it thinks a 37 year old novice can taking one of the biggest 'companies' and transform it. Klopp, Maureen, Wenger, Benitez.......you name them and look at their peak years......late 40s to mid 50s.......earn the right lower down, make your mistakes and get a shot at the big time 10 years later

And as for Partey - yes of course son. Why would you want to be top of La Liga in a team that has conceded 2 goals all season playing under a manager that has transformed that club for the best part of a decade, when you can play in a team that barely has a shot on goal and are vying it out with Fulham and Burnley, playing for a manager in his first full season. Natural choice right?
I don't know.... it's almost like you pair don't believe the club's PR people..... :shock:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:21 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
augie wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

I don't know.... it's almost like you pair don't believe the club's PR people..... :shock:
I believe the North Korean PR machine more than our goons mate !

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:02 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:21 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
augie wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

I believe the North Korean PR machine more than our goons mate !
:lol:

All hail the glorious leader Kim Jung Kroenke. :D

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Throw the kitchen sink at Simeone. I have sung from that song-sheet for five years. Top of the league, with Real and Barca nowhere in sight and 2 goals conceded in 10 games. By far the best fit as Arsenal manager.

Partey's respect for Arteta is so great that he wandered off the pitch as Tottenham broke away just so that the man he idolises could push him back on.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:06 pm
Throw the kitchen sink at Simeone. I have sung from that song-sheet for five years. Top of the league, with Real and Barca nowhere in sight and 2 goals conceded in 10 games. By far the best fit as Arsenal manager.

Partey's respect for Arteta is so great that he wandered off the pitch as Tottenham broke away just so that the man he idolises could push him back on.
Not sure how realistic either of them are tbh but I'd take Simeone or Allegri in a heartbeat and I've wanted either since the week I got Wenger sacked (look it up on here kids).

That's not to say they'd be any more successful than Emery or Arteta but deffo worth a punt.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

If wenger is brought back to take over from arteta we will be relegated within two seasons. Reminds me of the time Manure brought back Busby in the early '70's.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:21 pm
If wenger is brought back to take over from arteta we will be relegated within two seasons. Reminds me of the time Manure brought back Busby in the early '70's.
If that happened (I don't think it will btw) but if it did I think I'd be done with both Arsenal and modern football.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

The next manager needs to have a reputation for organizing and being tactical. For too long know we have just been a team that likes to play the game and pass the ball around. I will never forget the red pill moment I had when listening to Jose say the team with the ball is most vulnerable. The team that turns the ball over is unorganized and has no shape and vulnerable to a quick counter attack. We were always told by Wenger that possession is good. Wenger would brag about having 60% of the ball & I took this as verbatim. Turns out it was all dog shit and Wenger was the last one to understand (probably still doesn't). During Wenger's era, and even know we have never been comfortable without the ball.

The first hurdle to getting back to being a top side is being hard to beat. You dont have to avoid defeat all the time but at least when you do get beat make the other team work for it and lose with dignity. Getting rolled 3-0 at home to Villa and going down 2-0 in the first half in a NLD is indicative of a team that can be pushed over.

Simeone would be the benchmark but he wont leave. Allegri and Pochettino are viable, & I would also throw in Rafa Benitez.

Arteta wont fix the problems. He will need to be replaced. Its also time the club sheds our reputation of attacking football and find a better balance.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

The next manager needs to have a reputation for organizing and being tactical. For too long know we have just been a team that likes to play the game and pass the ball around. I will never forget the red pill moment I had when listening to Jose say the team with the ball is most vulnerable. The team that turns the ball over is unorganized and has no shape and vulnerable to a quick counter attack. We were always told by Wenger that possession is good. Wenger would brag about having 60% of the ball & I took this as verbatim. Turns out it was all dog shit and Wenger was the last one to understand (probably still doesn't). During Wenger's era, and even know we have never been comfortable without the ball.

The first hurdle to getting back to being a top side is being hard to beat. You dont have to avoid defeat all the time but at least when you do get beat make the other team work for it and lose with dignity. Getting rolled 3-0 at home to Villa and going down 2-0 in the first half in a NLD is indicative of a team that can be pushed over.

Simeone would be the benchmark but he wont leave. Allegri and Pochettino are viable, & I would also throw in Rafa Benitez.

Arteta wont fix the problems. He will need to be replaced. Its also time the club sheds our reputation of attacking football and find a better balance.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:34 pm
Nos89 wrote:
If that happened (I don't think it will btw) but if it did I think I'd be done with both Arsenal and modern football.
I’d actually bring Emery back! not because I think for one nano second that he is anything othet than incompetent, weak minded, useless fucking c u n t!
But to let him fail and crumble again! in order to stop the growing mythical status he continues to acquire with some on this forum!
Sweet Jesus, in generations to come, our great grand children, will have to listen to stories of “hard done by, Emery the greatest manager the club ever had”
For once and for all!! He was fucking hopeless!!
He didn’t “nearly get a top 4 finish” fuck no!
He was handed the chance of top 4 on a fucking plate by sperz as they had an even more spectacular end of season collapse than usual’
And despite the easiest of run ins, that useless lily livered bastard was incapable of getting us over the line!
He then topped it with the most humiliating defeat in a final, that I can remember for any “big club”
Now can we focus on getting shot of the latest managerial disaster and stop grieving over the departure of the last one

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:52 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
I’d actually bring Emery back! not because I think for one nano second that he is anything othet than incompetent, weak minded, useless fucking c u n t!
But to let him fail and crumble again! in order to stop the growing mythical status he continues to acquire with some on this forum!
Sweet Jesus, in generations to come, our great grand children, will have to listen to stories of “hard done by, Emery the greatest manager the club ever had”
He was handed the chance of top 4 on a fucking plate by sperz as they had an even more spectacular end of season collapse than usual’
And despite the easiest of run ins, that useless lily livered bastard was incapable of getting us over the line!
He then topped it with the most humiliating defeat in a final, that I can remember for any “big club”
Now can we focus on getting shot of the latest managerial disaster and stop grieving over the departure of the last one

Sid, you can dress it up or try to alterthings any way you want, but the reality is that emery DID almost bring the top to a top 4 finish - imo he 100% fcuked it up with his team selection at home v palace, but that doesnt take away from the fact that he almost got top 4

Emery wasnt hopeless - was he perfect ? No he was far from it, but I still say that he had us going in the right direction, and make no mistake that is one million times better than pep's waterboy is doing. I always said that I didnt need the next manager after wenger to be perfect appointment - I said that I wanted someone to come in, clean out a lot of the shit that le cock had accumulated, and then start the rebuild with young and hungry players. I was very comfortable with emery coming in doing that job and then after two seasons having fans like yourself calling for his removal cos he had taken the club as far as he could - he was well down that road and I believe that had he been given until another 6-12 months he would have done the job I wanted him to do and we could have moved on with a better manager who would have taken over a playing squad better than the one le cock left behind. At no stage in my list of requirements did I say that I needed emery to win cups or make top 4 or even make top 6 cos for me the rebuild was more important and trumps any kind of short term joy a few results can bring (arteta is proof of that). Nowadays fans are sometimes afraid to call for a managers removal lest they be seen as some short term glory chaser, but yet those same fans judge a manager ONLY BY RESULTS - you judge emery by his top 4 capitulation, or his ropey league 2nd half shambles etc, but for me the job he was doing off the pitch was excellent. Arteta has undone that progress and then some, and if he walked or was pushed in the morning, we would be trying to sell our club to prospective managers in a much weaker position than when arteta took over, and that is for damn sure

I dont have some infatuation with emery, I just feel that we blew a great chance to clean hose by sacking him too early

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:18 pm
goonersid wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:52 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Sid, you can dress it up or try to alterthings any way you want, but the reality is that emery DID almost bring the top to a top 4 finish - imo he 100% fcuked it up with his team selection at home v palace, but that doesnt take away from the fact that he almost got top 4

Emery wasnt hopeless - was he perfect ? No he was far from it, but I still say that he had us going in the right direction, and make no mistake that is one million times better than pep's waterboy is doing. I always said that I didnt need the next manager after wenger to be perfect appointment - I said that I wanted someone to come in, clean out a lot of the shit that le cock had accumulated, and then start the rebuild with young and hungry players. I was very comfortable with emery coming in doing that job and then after two seasons having fans like yourself calling for his removal cos he had taken the club as far as he could - he was well down that road and I believe that had he been given until another 6-12 months he would have done the job I wanted him to do and we could have moved on with a better manager who would have taken over a playing squad better than the one le cock left behind. At no stage in my list of requirements did I say that I needed emery to win cups or make top 4 or even make top 6 cos for me the rebuild was more important and trumps any kind of short term joy a few results can bring (arteta is proof of that). Nowadays fans are sometimes afraid to call for a managers removal lest they be seen as some short term glory chaser, but yet those same fans judge a manager ONLY BY RESULTS - you judge emery by his top 4 capitulation, or his ropey league 2nd half shambles etc, but for me the job he was doing off the pitch was excellent. Arteta has undone that progress and then some, and if he walked or was pushed in the morning, we would be trying to sell our club to prospective managers in a much weaker position than when arteta took over, and that is for damn sure

I dont have some infatuation with emery, I just feel that we blew a great chance to clean hose by sacking him too early
^^ Amen brother - this 100%

Emery wouldn't have made my top 3 shortlist when the job was available.......but we've now got someone who wouldn't have made my top 103

1 point off the top 4 is undeniable - the only closer 'nearly' to that is goal difference.

The Europa League final was a 25 minute shambles and one entirely of Emery & the club's making in that they failed to sign a decent RB. Bellerin is utter ***** anyway (as Pep's coneboy is proving by playing him every week) and AMN isn't much better there. Never mind though because the water carrier has really shored things up signing Cedric :D :D :D

Emery worked miracles at bankrupt Valencia, 3 x Europa winners Sevilla and isn't doing too bad at Villareal either. Oh, and he's won more at PSG than the German Martinez, Thomas Fucking Tuchel

The last 10-15 games of Emery weren't great. The Palace game was shit - a manager who underestimated the strength of a PL opponent in his first season. However, I didn't see us get splatted at home like we did by Villa under his reign, and I knew he only needed to oust 3 or 4 more c.unts in January and the Summer and the clear out would have been 90% done

Now, we've got this fucktard - playing football that would make Neil Warnock blush, ruined our star striker to the point he'll leave and playing a load of "never will be" c.unts like Xhaka and Mustafi and giving out mega money contracts to past it's sell by date shit like Willian. Oh yeah, and we sold a decent keeper for 17m.....the same price the club paid for Perez a few season ago :D

If we do fire Arteta, I don't want Emery back, or Freddie or Wenger......but if it was a choice of those 4 it would be Dick every time

Anyway, we're stuck with the milk tray man for a good while yet. He's got the board licking his arse, and they'll still be halfway up his pipe when we're playing Charlton in our local derby