Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

wilson2.0

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by wilson2.0 »

Its time to get serious. Because if we do not string some wins together we will literally find ourselves living uncomfortable just above the relegation zone. Our 15th league position is not some anomaly. This isnt 5 games into the season which if you start slow can give you a false reading. 12 games is long enough for teams to establish where they will be in the season.

The really unique thing about this Arsenal, is the lack of goals and chances. Say what you want about our dodgy defending or spineless performance under pressure. But we always knew where the net was and expected to score in every game home or away no matter who the opposition was.

I dont see how Arteta can stay long term. Its got to the point where he could be replaced by any manager rather than a ideal replacement like Simeone or Allegri.

Carlo Ancelotti.............a manager guaranteed to instantly improve Arsenal. I promise if we had Ancelotti we would be at least where Everton are with potential for a higher placing.

Its baffling at times when you look at the decisions made by our club. Either on the field of off it

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:51 am

I suggested yesterday that this could be a systematic plan by arteta to get rid of emery players, and below is a piece taken from the above article

"Many have questioned why £28m man William Saliba hasn't been used in the first team this season and when speaking to a source inside the club, football.london was told that the Frenchman "was an Emery signing", in reference to Arteta's predecessor.

That certainly rings true when you assess the players who have been exiled or sent out on loan. From Ozil and Sokratis' exile, to Lucas Torreira and Matteo Guendouzi being sent out on loan"
Is there a conspiracy theory you DON'T believe augster? :D :wink:

You know the Earth is not flat right? :lol:

:wink: :wink:

John F

Post by John F »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:27 am
The club won't fire him because they will look foolish by appointing him in the first place and he won't walk from his first job.

We're fu*ked
And they don't want to spend any more money paying him and his staff off.There has been examples in the past of good coaches becoming bad managers and he looks like one of them.He gets praise for the training ground with players and directors thinking that would transmit into him being a good manager but it hasn't.His team selections,tactics,signing on Lui z and Willian all management decisions that he is failing at.He needs to go back to coaching or start again at a lower league club.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

John F wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:57 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:27 am
The club won't fire him because they will look foolish by appointing him in the first place and he won't walk from his first job.

We're fu*ked
And they don't want to spend any more money paying him and his staff off.There has been examples in the past of good coaches becoming bad managers and he looks like one of them.He gets praise for the training ground with players and directors thinking that would transmit into him being a good manager but it hasn't.His team selections,tactics,signing on Lui z and Willian all management decisions that he is failing at.He needs to go back to coaching or start again at a lower league club.
If we don't get rid of him this week WE might be that lower league club! :lol: :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:54 am
augie wrote:

I suggested yesterday that this could be a systematic plan by arteta to get rid of emery players, and below is a piece taken from the above article

"Many have questioned why £28m man William Saliba hasn't been used in the first team this season and when speaking to a source inside the club, football.london was told that the Frenchman "was an Emery signing", in reference to Arteta's predecessor.

That certainly rings true when you assess the players who have been exiled or sent out on loan. From Ozil and Sokratis' exile, to Lucas Torreira and Matteo Guendouzi being sent out on loan"

Buddy I have been 100% consistent in my belief that arteta does not like playing young players and does not trust them - over the last 9 months or so I have been criticised for saying this, but of late more and more people are suggesting that this might indeed be the case. I havent bought into any conspiracy theory - if you want to call it a conspiracy theory then it was me that first suggested that he has an agenda against emery players. There is no logic to how arteta is managing this team - how can you watch your team get rolled over by your scum neighbours last week, and only make one injury enforced change to that team ? How can you look at willian week in and week out and not make a change ? In my opinion it has to be down to the fact that all of the alternatives are young players. Look at the players he has frozen out - saliba, sokratis, torreira and guendouze are all emery signings.

There is patterns on display here that are nothing to do with conspiracy theories and the proof is under our eyes

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

Ive been reading some newspapers shortlist on new managers and Henry and Vieira are on many of them. Neither Paddy or Thierry are serious managers. Its a joke to consider them

This club needs to start tasking itself seriously.

John F

Post by John F »

wilson2.0 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:12 am
Ive been reading some newspapers shortlist on new managers and Henry and Vieira are on many of them. Neither Paddy or Thierry are serious managers. Its a joke to consider them

This club needs to start tasking itself seriously.
They will consider them if they are cheap enough.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:06 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:54 am
augie wrote:

Buddy I have been 100% consistent in my belief that arteta does not like playing young players and does not trust them - over the last 9 months or so I have been criticised for saying this, but of late more and more people are suggesting that this might indeed be the case. I havent bought into any conspiracy theory - if you want to call it a conspiracy theory then it was me that first suggested that he has an agenda against emery players. There is no logic to how arteta is managing this team - how can you watch your team get rolled over by your scum neighbours last week, and only make one injury enforced change to that team ? How can you look at willian week in and week out and not make a change ? In my opinion it has to be down to the fact that all of the alternatives are young players. Look at the players he has frozen out - saliba, sokratis, torreira and guendouze are all emery signings.

There is patterns on display here that are nothing to do with conspiracy theories and the proof is under our eyes
Alright calm down, Jim Corr. :lol:

He has played as many young players as old and dropped / not played as many old players as young. That's not the issue here. The issue is he is a novice and hasn't a clue. I do think he takes silly dislikes to certain players but the evidence does not suggest that it is age related or Emery related.

How you can see the amount of game time that rubbish like Pillock, Maitland-Bendtner and Nelson get and still think he doesn't/won't play the kids is baffling. He has played the kids. The problem is most of them are rubbish or just not ready yet. When would you accept he has no anti-kid agenda? When he puts out a team of 11 kids?

Augie you are going to be disappointed in the next manager too because no manager will play lots of kids.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10, you are taking what I said to extremes -

What I want is for the manager to give the young players a chance if the c.unts in the team are not playing well - you refer to players like nelson, maitland-niles and pillock (I agree with you on him btw), but I will point you back to willian, bellend, xhaka, ceballos and el nenny.

There is no defence of arteta's continual picking of willian - nelson has shown flashes of potential mixed in with some poor performances, but has he ever got a run of games in the team ?
Personally I think that the days of allowing bellend drift along as first choice should be long gone too - for me, even though it isnt his natural position maitland-niles is better there, but failing that cedric should get a chance.
Personally I think that it is criminal that maitland-niles has never been given a run in midfield by three managers - when he came through first he showed flashes of potential, but since then he has never been given a run of games there. That would be acceptable if you had players of the calibre of PV4/gilberto/cesc/petit ahead of him, but we have had donkeys who continue to show that they are absolute dogshite, but continue to be picked regardless :roll: As I have continually said (and I seen you agreeing this morning) guendouzi is a million times better than xhaka, el nenny and ceballos, and I keep coming back to manager rule 101 that says that you do not get rid of a player unless you have someone better in his place - we simply dont.
I cant begin to understand how smith-rowe must be feeling lately - the fans and the media are continually pointing to the lack of creativity in this team, and until yesterday he wasnt even making the match day squad for league games despite his undoubted creative abilities. Yesterday the swiss turd got sent off in the 58th minute, but we were creating fcuk all before he was off, so why not thrown smith-rowe on at half time ? Could we create any less with him on the pitch ?
The saliba thing has always bugged me the most - he might turn out to be an average player in years to come for whatever club he goes to, or he might turn out to be a star for them, but we certainly cant know unless we give him a fcuking chance :roll: Again if you have centre backs of the ilk of TA6 you can justify leaving him out, but leaving him behind these clowns ?? Do me a favour

Again let me say that there is a big difference between playing the younger players, and actually giving them a sustained run to prove their worth - players like maitland-niles and nelson might get 2 games in a row to prove themselves, whilst the likes of willian has got 11. It is almost impossible to come on as a sub in the 70th minute (arsene mark 2 :roll: ) and prove yourself good enough, so I dont know how young players are supposed to stake their claim

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Not surprised he is still in the job. :roll:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:45 am
rodders999 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:49 pm
Allegri to Dortmund rumours gathering pace :shock:

That is the ONLY THING that might provoke a response from our board re getting shot of arteta - there is a sparsity of good managers out there right now, and having been stung by holding on to wenger too long and losing out on pep and klopp as a result, I think that they will be very hesitant to sit back and watch another quality manager join another club through their inaction

They'll barely notice it Augie. That is the main problem with our club.....our owners have zero affinity with the game, no knowledge of it, no understanding of the culture of it, or what's required to be successful. They've also appointed a board that are clueless and have relied on shysters like Raul (and maybe Edu?) to pull the strings. That's what happens when the guys at the top have no connection or understanding of the business they're involved in.

If (and it's probably a big if) they replace Arteta any time soon, don't expect a top level replacement. We'll go for a cheap "yes" man again and this circus merry go round will continue all the way to the Championship. Anyway, quite apart from our clueless outfit not making a decent appointment, what quality manager in his right mind would want to walk into our disaster area, with an absent and unambitious owner ??

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

I will judge him in May :barscarf:

oaodan

Post by oaodan »

He has to go but if stories today are true that Luiz and co have downed tools because he called out Pepe for Leeds sending off, it just shows again what a shower of cnuts are around the place.The squad stinks in many regards not just because so many are shite at their jobs.A Mourinho,Simeone was needed and still is 3 years on.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Is there any point sacking Arteta unless we have a manager waiting to take over the next day or two? :rubchin:

That's exactly what ruthless Levy did at the Swamp, instead we waited almost a month to find a candidate after Emery was sacked & then picked someone with out any managerial experience. :twisted: Sack Arteta & we'll probably go running back to caretaker Freddie again. :lol:

The club should be looking for a manager immediately & it should have started a week or more ago but I doubt if this is happening, who's delegated brief would it be, don't tell me Vinai Venkatesham LOL? Maybe it would be Raul, Edu or BFG, probably not as they are mates with Captain Black.

Josh Kroenke probably finally pulled the plug on Lord Wonga but then delegated finding the manager duties elsewhere, so who exactly was responsible that task , remember Arteta was mentioned strongly in the press for a while before Emery suddenly turned up.

We don't know who is responsible for what at the club, some reports Wiggy & Son are not exactly hands on, but someone must run major decisions past them for approval. Seems to me there's a lack of real football people at the club & nothing more than a bunch of dodgy chancers. :cussing: :box:

Whoever is in charge of football related matters probably has no intention of appointing an experienced manager with proven success who will demand an adequate transfer budget & power to do the job in his own way.

We is now totally fécked Bluds! :barscarf: :mrgreen:

augie

Post by augie »

For any of you naive enough to think that pep's waterboy will be leaving any time soon ....

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... u-23168063

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... e-23167235

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... el-arteta/

The part I like most of all is where he says that willian will come good and that it will just take time - at 32 years of age it will take time ??? At 32 years of age the one thing he doesnt have is time :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops: :censored: :censored: :censored: