Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

Arsenal Till I Die

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

How did Arteta's name even get mixed in with Wenger replacements in the first place?

Wasn't it some mush on social media who floated his name out, the media got a hold of it and it gathered pace from there? I truly can't, for the life of me, believe that a club of our supposed status thought the right man for the management position was a man who has ZERO managerial experience whatsoever.

You wouldn't have minded so much if he had cut his teeth managing a youth side beforehand, it wouldn't be ideal experience for a prospective manager of Arsenal but it would be better than being a bib and cone man. By rights, Vic Akers would have tallied up more experience over the years than Arteta.

I didn't want him when Wenger left, I didn't want him when Emery left, I thought I was wrong about him when we won the cup but this season has really shown us that he's nothing more than a snake oil salesman.

"Give him time" and "trust the process" work if there are signs of improvement, there isn't any (See augie's post above). Quite frankly, as much as we know our team is pretty crap, we won the cup with pretty much THIS squad. So, while we can blame the players for their half-arsed attitude, we know they are GOOD ENOUGH to put to use more effectively than they are.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

So West Brom draw 1-1 away to Manchester City and Bilic gets sacked, we draw 1-1 at home to Southampton and Arteta gets another match.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:56 pm
So West Brom draw 1-1 away to Manchester City and Bilic gets sacked, we draw 1-1 at home to Southampton and Arteta gets another match.
And rightfully so. I mean so what about the results. And when we get tonked by Everton, i will only be interested in the intangibles like 'are the right things being said after the tonking?' and 'great things are coming from Willian. He just need time'.

Trust the process you non-believer. :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

begeegs wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:06 pm
Bob Bayliss wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:56 pm
And rightfully so. I mean so what about the results. And when we get tonked by Everton, i will only be interested in the intangibles like 'are the right things being said after the tonking?' and 'great things are coming from Willian. He just need time'.

Trust the process you non-believer. :lol:
Exactly.....and as Gary Neville said "he always looks the part doesn't he, Arteta"

Fabulous training, great language skills, cool hair and jacket, nice words like "transitions" and "process". He could be the pick of any of the big four..........

....just a matter of whether KPMG, PWC, Deloitte or Ernst & Young will take him on next

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Athletic say one of the biggest gripes of some players is how certain players are treated differently to others by Arteta. They claim one clear example is when Willian started at Leeds despite only days before taking an unauthorised trip to Dubai. https://t.co/ju1QU32WN7

The feeling among some members of the squad is that certain players would have been punished or left out of the starting line-up if they did something similar, & they believed it was unfair that Willian was not reprimanded. #Arsenal https://t.co/WzFW2zorQG

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Rafa is again being mooted as the likely replacement for Gibb-Lite.

Hmmm.... a bit of a step sideways really. Ok maybe diagonally upward... slightly. :lol:

At this stage I'd almost take any fucker just to see Arteta gone tbh.

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:35 am

Hmmm.... a bit of a step sideways really. Ok maybe diagonally upward... slightly. :lol:

I'd take him at the drop of a hat. The man has a pedigree in Europe. He may not be the flashiest manager, but he gets the job done.

I'd also give Jardim a shout. He is out of work.

There are loads of managers who would be miles better than Arteta that would come here. I get that he doesn't have the players to play his system, but for me, that is a cop-out. What will be the excuse when he gets this creative midifielder and Arsenal are still no better off? I am sure that his super-fans will cling to one. They are already saying 'ship out the players' - LOL!

That being said, I almost wonder if the big R happened, would Kroenke sell up?

augie

Post by augie »

begeegs wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:12 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

I'd take him at the drop of a hat. The man has a pedigree in Europe. He may not be the flashiest manager, but he gets the job done.

There are loads of managers who would be miles better than Arteta that would come here. I get that he doesn't have the players to play his system, but for me, that is a cop-out. What will be the excuse when he gets this creative midifielder and Arsenal are still no better off? I am sure that his super-fans will cling to one. They are already saying 'ship out the players' - LOL!

My mantra has always been that the system you play, has to suit the players you have got

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

begeegs wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

He certainly would not be my first choice but agreed he would be better than Arteta.

"Not having the players" is a deffo cop out. A pragmatic manager fits the available players into a system that makes them perform as a unit. The latter era Wenger fantasist manager tries to wedge ill suited players into what his idea of the system should be in a perfect world. Total cop out and lunacy to boot.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:38 pm
begeegs wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

He certainly would not be my first choice but agreed he would be better than Arteta.

"Not having the players" is a deffo cop out. A pragmatic manager fits the available players into a system that makes them perform as a unit. The latter era Wenger fantasist manager tries to wedge ill suited players into what his idea of the system should be in a perfect world. Total cop out and lunacy to boot.

If we're going to take a safety first approach then lets at least appoint a manager who knows how to do it properly, rather than one that can't keep 11 players on the field and gets rogered by Aston Villa and Wolves. I don't think Benitez would set pulses racing but he certainly does know how to an improve a team and has managed from the Champions League to the Championship - something that might be needed next season if the "results aside" season is allowed to continue for much longer under Everyone Like Me Pleeeeease

augie

Post by augie »

Benitez would be a 2 year appointment for me - as others have said, he isnt gonna be the type of manager that set pulses racing, but at this stage I think that is largely irrelevant. In my opinion he would bring the type of experience and organisation that this club needs on AND OFF the pitch, and would have the type of personality to either light a fire under the players, or bomb them out of the club for good - dont think that he would suffer fools gladly, and think that his winning cv would usurp the players who might feel that they can take the piss with an unexperienced manager.

That being said, he still wouldnt be my first choice and I'm not sure that he would be my second choice either - right now we are in a similar situation to where we are with the players in that we need to get rid of the current guy, and replace him would someone better regardless of whether he is top level quality

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

How much money is he on out in China, probably shit loads?

Scenes if he does come and makes Xhaka captain first game :lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Mr Everyone Please Like Me is going nowhere fast anyway and even if by some miracle he did lose the dressing room and the love-in, the last manager we'd be appointing is someone looking for the wedge that Benitez would be after

Start thinking Eddie Howe as the best option our board would be likely to fund

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:32 am
How much money is he on out in China, probably shit loads?

Scenes if he does come and makes Xhaka captain first game :lol:

Which is fine for a while, but you'd have to be thinking that a man like him would want to be back in the big show at some stage

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55325050

balague spouting BS as ever.

f off spurs supporting aplogist