Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

mcdowell42

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by mcdowell42 »

According to @voetbalnieuwsbe, Edwin van der Sar is in the picture to be #Arsenal's new technical director. https://t.co/DETDe4uMeM

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:38 pm
According to @voetbalnieuwsbe, Edwin van der Sar is in the picture to be #Arsenal's new technical director. https://t.co/DETDe4uMeM
:coffeespit:

I'm.... ugh... I mean..... ugh.... um..... I have nothing... um.... just gonna repeat....

:coffeespit:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I earlier said this was as bad as anything under Wenger or Emery and SteveO took me to task on it. I have to hold my hands up and agree this is worse far worse than anything dished up under Wenger or Emery.

This is the worst Arsenal team I've ever seen. Worse than some of the gash of the 70s and 80s.

Gibb-Lite simply has to go. Has to.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Massimiliano Allegri 2/1 Paddy Power
Thomas Tuchel 4/1 Paddy Power
Brendan Rodgers 15/2 Paddy Power
Patrick Vieira 10/1 Paddy Power
Diego Simeone 10/1 Paddy Power
Thierry Henry 12/1 Paddy Power
Fredrik Ljungberg 16/1 Paddy Power
Rafael Benitez 18/1

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Don't you dare fire this c.unt now when there's no fans in the stadium.

This club deserves the ultimate punishment and get relegated under this fucker's stewardship

I want every remaining excuse put a line through - give him the January window and let him be the first manager under Kroenke to get any owner investment. Let him do what he wants from top to bottom, and take us down to the Championship.

This managerial appointment is the worst in the whole history of the club and the agenda to support it deserves the ultimate punishment - take the ship down

augie

Post by augie »

Reality my friends, is that if brighton and burnley win their games in hand, we would drop to 17th :shock: Read that again folks - SEVENTEENTH :oops: :oops:
In another week or two fulham will have overtaken us ffs :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

begeegs

Post by begeegs »

If the only way to get rid of Kroenke is to ruin his investment by relegation, so be it. The man and his company are pure poison for the club. He doesn't care a jot about winning and hasn't put a penny into the club. I am not sure how much his investment would get hit by relegation, but I reckon that he may sell up if Arteta takes Arsenal down, which he will if allowed to continue.

I really can't understand how people in the media are actually defending Arteta when you have other novices, like Solskjaer (who actually had managing experience before his appointment), who get slated for nearly every game. It is clear that Arteta has made massive errors in judgement with the squad including current errors to this day.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

The last 12 months have clearly shown that the lack of ambition by the board is proper biting us now. Ancellotti was ours for the taking, he's currently 2nd in the league with a worse squad of individuals than we have at our disposal.
The decisions to exclude players from the squad is a major disaster and football karma is hitting us hard. The squad is too big, players are refusing to leave until their contracts expire which is categorically killing the club.
Yes, arteta will be crucified but the problems are much deeper in the club and until those are sorted out, he (arteta) hasn't a hope in hell of pulling this around. Any manager with ambition will not come anywhere near this club now until the rotten players are out.
Forget Allegri, Simone, Rodgers, Vieira or even freddie. None of them will come anywhere near us. Freddie left the club because he saw from the inside what the problems are and that they weren't going to get sorted.

The people running the club need to terminate players contracts and pay them off now. No pissing about get rid of them now. The cost of relegation is greater than the cost of keeping these players on the books.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

I still have faith in the Spanish Sammy Lee :barscarf: :barscarf:

NickF

Post by NickF »

begeegs wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:34 pm
If the only way to get rid of Kroenke is to ruin his investment by relegation, so be it.
Would that actually bother him?

I say that because if you're fighting for the title and in the champions league, the clubs going to be worth a hell of a lot more than one languishing mid to lower league.

If he ain't bothered about how we've fallen away in the last five years (which he isn't), I can't see him worrying about relegated.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:49 pm
Massimiliano Allegri 2/1 Paddy Power
Thomas Tuchel 4/1 Paddy Power
Brendan Rodgers 15/2 Paddy Power
Patrick Vieira 10/1 Paddy Power
Diego Simeone 10/1 Paddy Power
Thierry Henry 12/1 Paddy Power
Fredrik Ljungberg 16/1 Paddy Power
Rafael Benitez 18/1

Kroenke El CUNTO will always go for the cheapest option (Not just Managers wages but what kind of transfer chest the manager would demand / expect) so the likes of Allegri et al are non-starters....

Watch them try and bring in BFG from the academy - I kid you NOT! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

FuckTheFUCKOFF! Wiggy and DIE! :cussing:

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

''We’ve been better than the opponent every single week but we are not winning football matches''

Arteta has entered into denial and once that happens there is no way back. He also mentioned Everton's goals were an own goal and set piece, again trying to rationalize defeat. He further complained about Luiz's effort hitting the bar, apparently this is more evidence of not having any luck. Arteta seems to think there is nothing wrong with the performances rather we have just been unlucky.

Once a manager starts counting half chances as hypothetical goals its all over. When managers do this it shows a lack of control over the situation and complete desperation.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

We can only move forward as a club with a new manager. You just know Allegri/Pochettino is waiting for us or Man United to call. So why not beat Man United to it and have the first pick. Allegri should be choice and even without new signings, he would get more out of this lot of players than Mikel. Giving Arteta a January transfer window is a waste.

We should also have a director of football model where player recruitment does not solely rest with the manager. I figure we already do in the post Wenger era. So I reject the notion that Arteta should have the chance to 'bring in his own players'. He should be judged on results with current players and not be spared by the idea that these arnt his players. What does he think should happen, than he cant be held accountable until majority of the first team are players signed by himself? It would take years to cycle through a whole squad to the point where most of them are Mikel signings.

Plus, who says the players he bring in wont be shit too?

John F

Post by John F »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:39 pm
The last 12 months have clearly shown that the lack of ambition by the board is proper biting us now. Ancellotti was ours for the taking, he's currently 2nd in the league with a worse squad of individuals than we have at our disposal.
The decisions to exclude players from the squad is a major disaster and football karma is hitting us hard. The squad is too big, players are refusing to leave until their contracts expire which is categorically killing the club.
Yes, arteta will be crucified but the problems are much deeper in the club and until those are sorted out, he (arteta) hasn't a hope in hell of pulling this around. Any manager with ambition will not come anywhere near this club now until the rotten players are out.
Forget Allegri, Simone, Rodgers, Vieira or even freddie. None of them will come anywhere near us. Freddie left the club because he saw from the inside what the problems are and that they weren't going to get sorted.

The people running the club need to terminate players contracts and pay them off now. No pissing about get rid of them now. The cost of relegation is greater than the cost of keeping these players on the books.
That's why I just didn't understand the signings of Soares and Willian.Edu and Arteta just added two more over paid journey men to the club.This has the Leeds situation written all over it.Initial success followed by complacency and Chaos behind the scenes,poor financial decisions,Gradual slide down the table ,frequent change of managers ending in relegation with a large debt.What is going on with this site it is taking ages to load and when I posted some of the text went missing.

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

Edu's recent comments were enough to show the huge levels of incompetence that exist within the club, to such a level that any actual substance has been replaced with PR spin, bullshit. Likewise with Arteta in his post match interviews, there is zero truth in anything he says, just all lies and spin. We all know Arteta will eventually be sacked but isn't it rather telling that no one in a position of power within the club thinks our current position is unacceptable and grounds for dismissal for the manager. If we were still acting like a big club, Arteta would be gone but we more resemble a badly run business and as with all badly run companies, there is zero leadership or accountability.