Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

augie

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:04 pm
I'm not going to disagree about Arteta picking Willian but I will point out my comment was about his hierarchy and that Edu as director of Footall would have had no small part in Arteta's appointment and backing him when things were going terribly recently. Also bear in mind that Edu was in charge when Sven Misintlat suddenly left, oversaw the removal of the scouting network, allowed Raul Sanhelli and Huss Fahmy to carry out whatever shady dealings were going, seems to have been involved in a number of transfer deals involving his own agent etc.

Arteta is in the wrong job at the wrong time and can rightly be criticised for onfield performance but a lot of the decisions off field I'm not so sure about :rubchin:

Wasnt mislintat gone before edu came back to us ? I thought mislintat left cos he wasnt given a job that was promised to him and edu came in as one of the replacements in the reshuffle :?

Btw, I suspect mislintat will prove to be a big loss for the club - his knowledge, his experience and pedigree in the transfer market are on a different level from anyone we have running our club, and I still maintain that most of his signings were good signings

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

augie wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:21 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
I'm not going to disagree about Arteta picking Willian but I will point out my comment was about his hierarchy and that Edu as director of Footall would have had no small part in Arteta's appointment and backing him when things were going terribly recently. Also bear in mind that Edu was in charge when Sven Misintlat suddenly left, oversaw the removal of the scouting network, allowed Raul Sanhelli and Huss Fahmy to carry out whatever shady dealings were going, seems to have been involved in a number of transfer deals involving his own agent etc.

Arteta is in the wrong job at the wrong time and can rightly be criticised for onfield performance but a lot of the decisions off field I'm not so sure about :rubchin:

Wasnt mislintat gone before edu came back to us ? I thought mislintat left cos he wasnt given a job that was promised to him and edu came in as one of the replacements in the reshuffle :?

Btw, I suspect mislintat will prove to be a big loss for the club - his knowledge, his experience and pedigree in the transfer market are on a different level from anyone we have running our club, and I still maintain that most of his signings were good signings
You are right Sven left in Feb 19, Edu didn't arrive until Jul, funny how memory tricks you... should have checked my facts. Anyway i still stand by the rest of what i said..... Edu is shady and I dont trust him :wink:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:21 pm
augie wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:21 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:

You are right Sven left in Feb 19, Edu didn't arrive until Jul, funny how memory tricks you... should have checked my facts. Anyway i still stand by the rest of what i said..... Edu is shady and I dont trust him :wink:
Have to say there is something about Edu, that I don't like.
On Mislintat? Augie, I think the club did break promises and he did persuade Aubameyang (a player I never dreamed we could sign) to sign.
I think he could possibly gave averted the way the club was going under wenger, had he been recruited earlier.
Subsequent signings however were at best average and at worst useless, Torreira and Guendopey, examples of both.
I think we are back to a situation where, the manager has a much bigger shout on player dealings.
If this window is an indication of what's to come, then I'm encouraged, we've offloaded more shite in the last 6 months than we ever have.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

If we go out today because of this fucking starting line up we've picked, there need to be some serious questions asked.

What the fuck is going on with this persistence around Xhaka & Elneny, and fucking Willian

Don't tell me players need a sodding rest when Partey is just coming back, Lacazette and Auba just starting to recapture some sort of form etc

Why would you load up pressure on yourself - the league is fucked !!! Its all about 2 cups

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:24 am
If we go out today because of this fucking starting line up we've picked, there need to be some serious questions asked.

What the fuck is going on with this persistence around Xhaka & Elneny, and fucking Willian

Don't tell me players need a sodding rest when Partey is just coming back, Lacazette and Auba just starting to recapture some sort of form etc

Why would you load up pressure on yourself - the league is fucked !!! Its all about 2 cups
What does Willian and pepe need to do to get dropped FFS. :banghead: .....Pepe is fucking lost...is he on drugs?

Thank fuck we have Martinelli to watch....

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Redarmy wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:28 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:24 am

What does Willian and pepe need to do to get dropped FFS. :banghead: .....Pepe is fucking lost...is he on drugs?

Thank fuck we have Martinelli to watch....
Just seen the team...Elneny and Xaha in midfield :D loads of dwelling on the ball and sideways shit coming up
Dropping Saka is a big risk also

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Just go now

Feel the same way about the manager as I do with Willian, Mustafi, Ballerina, Elneny, Xhaka, Nketiah and Ceballos

i.e. every week you are here is a wasted one

The experiment has failed. Please put an end to this madness that a 37 year old novice can take one of the biggest underperforming clubs and turn round a decade of under achievement and a losers mentality

There is no magic wand

Go get yourself the best manager that money can buy - someone who has managed big names, under performing stars, a ruthless bastard who doesn't give a shit what anyone thinks about them.......the sort of fella brave enough to know after 3 months that Willian is a c.unt rather than pick him time and time again

Give that man the same money you were prepared to spunk up the wall on Wenger for his last 10 years

If that doesn't happen, I genuinely fear that we'll be a Championship team within 2 years

augie

Post by augie »

The spanish waiter has just resigned from his club in china :rubchin:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:47 pm
The spanish waiter has just resigned from his club in china :rubchin:
If you'd replaced the word 'china' with 'London', I could have at least had some cheer this weekend

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Arteta makes the stupidest decisions. Stevie Wonder could have seen just how POOR Willian was today and he played 93 mins. Nketiah will NEVER be a top striker and if he can’t tap it in he looks lost and ineffective (Balogun much better and not even being looked at). Pepe....well enough said.

Martinelli looked our sharpest attacker and he’s hauled off while the worst front three (William, Nketiah, Pepe) we’ve had in years, if not ever, actually plays the entire game.

Partey actually NEEDS the game time, so why not start him? They stopped running right through us when he came on. Moving Saka to LB when we are chasing a game, to accommodate William at LW, is just criminal.

Arteta lost us the game today.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Look at the run of results we had prior to the 'kid inspired' mini revival

Everton A lost 2-1 - Elneny, Pepe, Nketiah and Willian in the starting line up
Burnley H lost 0-1 - Bellerin, Xhaka, Elneny, and Willian in the starting line up
Scum A lost 2-0 - Bellerin, Xhaka, Willian in the starting line up. Ceballos and Nketiah brought on
Wolves H lost 1-2 - Bellerin, Ceballos, Xhaka, Willian in the starting line up.
Villa H lost 0-3 - Bellerin, Elneny, Willian in the starting line up. Ceballos, Pepe and Nketiah brought on

SO.....I KNOW.........I'LL BRING ALL OF THE C.UNTS IN TO PLAY AT THE SAME TIME AND EXPECT THE OUTCOME TO BE DIFFERENT :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Just sling yer fucking hook - final straw today

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

From twatter -

We’ve lost six of our last eight games in all competitions that Willian has started (W1 D1). That one victory was against Newcastle in the Cup , which was 0-0 with Willian on the pitch :shock:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:33 pm
From twatter -

We’ve lost six of our last eight games in all competitions that Willian has started (W1 D1). That one victory was against Newcastle in the Cup , which was 0-0 with Willian on the pitch :shock:
And shit for brains will stick pick the c.unt another dozen times this season

augie

Post by augie »

Methinks the kid is wasting his time if pep's cone boy doesnt rate him higher than nketieh :roll: :oops: :oops: :cussing: :cussing:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... ta-fa-cup/

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Arteta is more Wenger like than Pep like, he has the same stubborn ineffectual ruthlessness that Wenger had, playing underperforming players, playing players out of position because he thinks he can make them play better just by playing them where he thinks they should play, ignoring all the fans, pundits and anyone else telling him he is getting it wrong, dropping players or ignoring them because they aren't what he wants/expects.....truth be told he is more Wenger than Wenger, at least Wenger had his early success to give him an excuse for the egotism he developed :rubchin:

A novice should never have been appointed to this job, but then what do you expect under the Kroenkes :banghead: