Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by SteveO 35 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:51 am
Arteta is more Wenger like than Pep like, he has the same stubborn ineffectual ruthlessness that Wenger had, playing underperforming players, playing players out of position because he thinks he can make them play better just by playing them where he thinks they should play, ignoring all the fans, pundits and anyone else telling him he is getting it wrong, dropping players or ignoring them because they aren't what he wants/expects.....truth be told he is more Wenger than Wenger, at least Wenger had his early success to give him an excuse for the egotism he developed :rubchin:

A novice should never have been appointed to this job, but then what do you expect under the Kroenkes :banghead:
That's how I see it too - yes, i will play Xhaka, Willian, Pepe, Elneny and all the other c.unts despite what 99% of the fans think, because I know best and eventually it will come good. Well, it won't old son and unlike your hero, you haven't got 8 years of achievement up your sleeve to buy you a decade of credit.

If I think about the players that have been tossed aside - Martinez, Torreira, Guendouzi, Sokratis, Ozil and inevitably Balogun - can anyone honestly tell me that those six were the height of our problems and the worst players in the squad??? I'm not claiming that any of them are 'worldies' but when I see the sort of shite sprinkled over the field yesterday - Bellend, Xhaka, Elneny, Willian, Pepe, Nketiah - and you see what he has stubbornly swept out of the door, you realise we are stuck with someone who has no sense of logic. Even Mkhitaryan is better than some of the utter c.unts we've been left with - streets ahead of that slippers wearing tart we signed from Madrid on loan (or was it Getafe :D )

Of the players that have left, I think the only one I'd celebrate was that dollop of lard Kolasinac, and yet when I look at the c.unts above plus the likes of sodding Mustafi, i absolutely despair

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

The thing is SteveO, just like Wenger he isnt the real problem.....once again he is symptomatic of the way the club is run by the complete wankers above him. I genuinely believe the Chavs, Spuds, both Mancs, Victims, and a few others would have sacked Arteta before we beat Chelsea instead our muppets stand behind THEIR man and through circumstances not of his making or volition we have improved slightly which means they were justified. It wont matter if we finish below 7/8th he will still be here next season, I actually am of half a mind that they'd back him even if we got relegated......

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:39 pm
The thing is SteveO, just like Wenger he isnt the real problem.....once again he is symptomatic of the way the club is run by the complete wankers above him. I genuinely believe the Chavs, Spuds, both Mancs, Victims, and a few others would have sacked Arteta before we beat Chelsea instead our muppets stand behind THEIR man and through circumstances not of his making or volition we have improved slightly which means they were justified. It wont matter if we finish below 7/8th he will still be here next season, I actually am of half a mind that they'd back him even if we got relegated......
I remember saying that the only thing that worried me about when we eventually sacked Wenger, was what new solution the dickheads who run our club would come up with. They've had 2 bites at the cherry so far (2 and a bit including throwing poor Freddie to the wolves) and fucked it up.

You'd say if they had the balls to fire Le Fraud and Emery, then they'd have the balls to fire Arteta but I think they've got what they want in him. A novice, delighted to have the job and therefore unlikely to cause a stir about transfer funds or challenge their ambitions. A nice bloke who will never say the wrong things from a PR perspective.

The truth is that the FA Cup thankfully bailed us out of our first season without European football for more than two decades and has earned him a lot of credit with the board. Sadly, as was the case with Wenger, the credit earned will mean an extended and unwelcome stay

benglenton

Post by benglenton »

Domestic Cups were the only way to save the season.
He’d play best team in these competitions.
I think he’s “arrogant” to snob the Cups
No bright future at the moment for us

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I said on here years ago that the real problem is not the manager (Wenger at that time) but he was a symptom of a far worse disease: the owners. And the punters that couldn't see past the end of their noses slated me because they somehow thought I was excusing Wenger. :roll:

Well here we are, Wenger long gone, and we've had three managers not up to the job. And the current one now arguably the worst of the three! :x

I'll say it again. We are fucked until the absolute parasite that owns us fucks off or dies. He will never invest what needs to be invested to attract a top manager or rebuild the club back to its former status.

I think it was SteveO above said Arteta is exactly what the wig molesting cùnt wants in a manager and I would say that is 100% correct... weak, pliant, won't make demands.... tick, tick, fucking tick. :roll:

If the wig paedo ever sacks Arteta he'll then appoint some other pliant useless cùnt like the Big German Vagina. :censored:

This is our future. :censored:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Chris Sutton has slammed Willian’s performances for Arsenal this season in the Daily Mail and questioned why he was picked against Southampton at the weekend.
And Sutton said: “Why not start Kieran Tierney at Southampton? Why not start Emile Smith Rowe? Why not start Bukayo Saka? Why bring in Willian at No 10? The Brazilian has been about as useful as a chocolate teapot this season. Nicolas Pepe hasn’t been much better. He’s been more of a £72million problem than solution.”

Why does he pick Xaha and Elneny in midfield....that midfield was non existent against Southampton

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Lamport already out, tuchel to take over

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Gone a bit quiet in here. :D :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:50 am
A few wins changes nothing for me Nutty. I dont think Arteta has the experience to take the club back to where we belong. Emery had a 22 game unbeaten run. Do I think he was the right man for the job? No.

I can't help but feel this temporary good league run will be just that - temporary - and Arteta will persist with poor players and stupid decisions and we will go on another run of terrible results. :|

Would love to be proved wrong though.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:32 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
A few wins changes nothing for me Nutty. I dont think Arteta has the experience to take the club back to where we belong. Emery had a 22 game unbeaten run. Do I think he was the right man for the job? No.

I can't help but feel this temporary good league run will be just that - temporary - and Arteta will persist with poor players and stupid decisions and we will go on another run of terrible results. :|

Miserable cunnt*

* you might have to remove the swear word :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:39 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Miserable cunnt*

* you might have to remove the swear word :lol:
* correct. :D

* shan't. :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

Thing is, we are currently beating teams that on paper we are miles better than anyway 8) Granted we havent been doing that as much in recent years, but arteta isnt pulling off some tactical master-stroke that has us causing an upset against better teams, Last saturday evening is a more accurate reflection of arteta than last night imo - I want and expect a manager to in game see what is not working and change it, but arteta doesnt seem to be capable of doing that. Regardless of whether he was wrong to rotate to the degree that he did last saturday evening or not, taking off willian, nketieh and pepe earlier in the game could have swung things our way, but he clearly doesnt even recognise how shit willian is (bringing him on ahead of martinelli last night :roll: :banghead: ), so I would say that arteta is still gonna get found out and that as a team we are doing no better than we should right now

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

I admit it was click bait, I will let you lot carry on until the end of the season then review. Has Arteta made some mistakes, hell yeah. Are there managers out there that could do better, probably. But the thing is in 2021 where Arsenal belong is a lot lower than a lot of Gooners have got used to in years gone by. That's down to the owner more than anyone else.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

benglenton wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:16 pm
Domestic Cups were the only way to save the season.
He’d play best team in these competitions.
I think he’s “arrogant” to snob the Cups
No bright future at the moment for us
Absolute bollocks!
Domestic cups are the way to keep shit managers in jobs!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:31 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:

I admit it was click bait, I will let you lot carry on until the end of the season then review. Has Arteta made some mistakes, hell yeah. Are there managers out there that could do better, probably. But the thing is in 2021 where Arsenal belong is a lot lower than a lot of Gooners have got used to in years gone by. That's down to the owner more than anyone else.
Preaching to the converted there mate! :wink: I said the same long before even Wenger got the chop.

I liked Arteta as a player. There was a two season spell where he was our most consistent player, and was quite an intelligent DM without being Hollywood in the role.

But my concern with him as a manager has always been his lack of experience. I do get the feeling he may develop into a good - maybe even great - manager but I also think that would be 10 years down the road, and we are too big a club to be his learning curve.