Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

Almunia is a clown

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Almunia is a clown »

If the club were using the same criteria as when they sacked Emery, Arteta would have already gone months ago. :banghead:

Even if they did sack him at the end of the season, they would have done nothing as usual regarding finding a proper replacement before they pulled the trigger. :barscarf:

Will Captain Black even get an adequate transfer budget to do what needs to be done, is he even capable of carrying out the task? :blah: Maybe he might walk if not given the rebuilding cash? :mrgreen:

As long as he continues to play that cúnt Xhaka it's only a matter of time but it could be another season before that happens. :banghead:

Still you can guarantee that by the end of next season there will still be the mong element of our support, the same cúnts that supported Lord Wonga until the bitter end all saying give Arteta & Xhaka more time to get it right! :blah: :censored: :cussing:

herbert

Post by herbert »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:45 pm
If the club were using the same criteria as when they sacked Emery, Arteta would have already gone months ago. :banghead:

Even if they did sack him at the end of the season, they would have done nothing as usual regarding finding a proper replacement before they pulled the trigger. :barscarf:

Will Captain Black even get an adequate transfer budget to do what needs to be done, is he even capable of carrying out the task? :blah: Maybe he might walk if not given the rebuilding cash? :mrgreen:

As long as he continues to play that cúnt Xhaka it's only a matter of time but it could be another season before that happens. :banghead:

Still you can guarantee that by the end of next season there will still be the mong element of our support, the same cúnts that supported Lord Wonga until the bitter end all saying give Arteta & Xhaka more time to get it right! :blah: :censored: :cussing:
Same criteria? What a load of twaddle ,Emery couldnt push the team over the line to win A) the Europa league and B) top four finish when it was there for the taking
Arteta pushed the team over the line with 2 brilliant team performances and won the fa cup in August in his first season and Emery won fuck all

If Arteta does not win another trophy and the league position doesnt improve by the october november next season then he will be gone
and none of the mongs :banghead: will be that surprised

Almunia is a clown

So Captain Black won an FA Cup, compared to a Europa Cup which is more matches home & away & much harder to win. Arteta also in comparison lasted just one round in the Europa League last season & won't be going anywhere near the EL final nor 4th place nor EL qualifying places in the league in this or any other season. :barscarf:

Anyone who thinks Arteta will turn out to have a better league record as a manger than Emery is delusional, it won't happen. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Arteta should be sacked by the end of the season if he doesn't qualify for the Europa League. :cussing:

Hopefully Xhaka & Arteta both fúck off together, the sooner the better!

OneBardGooner

Arteta IN or OUT! ? Right Now

Post by OneBardGooner »

One Vote and 1 week to cast it.

DB10GOONER

Re: Arteta IN or OUT! ? Right Now

Post by DB10GOONER »

No sorry mate I'm not modding two Arteta threads. Merging this.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

g88ner wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:51 am
Must admit, I’d be tempted to part company with Arteta in the summer.

Finishing mid-table, no trophy and no European football next season would be a really poor return after 18 months at the club.

Despite that, I’m reasonably positive about the direction we’re heading, with a decent core of players (Tierney, Saka, Smith-Rowe, Partey, Gabriel, Mari, Leno, etc) so league position alone isn’t the end of the world for me.

The deal breaker for me is Martinelli. I’d want to understand exactly why he isn’t playing and where he fits into Arteta’s plans. If he doesn’t fit in, I’d move Arteta on quickly. Martinelli could be a world beater and a future £100m profit. Arteta has already tanked the value of Guendouzi; he shouldn’t be allowed to do the same to Martinelli.

I’m still hopeful that Arteta rates Martinelli highly and has huge plans for him. 6 months ago people were losing their shit over the lack of game time Smith-Rowe was getting so hopefully things will change soon for Martinelli too. Hard to be confident of that though.

Rubbish season. Mid-table, no trophy and Martinelli marginalised is enough for me to want a change of manager. I hope things play out differently though!
You are forgetting that we won a trophy again this season ( Community Shield)
2 routes still into Europe
Regarding Martinelli - maybe he hasn’t fully recovered from his injury ?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:36 pm
g88ner wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:51 am
Must admit, I’d be tempted to part company with Arteta in the summer.

Finishing mid-table, no trophy and no European football next season would be a really poor return after 18 months at the club.

Despite that, I’m reasonably positive about the direction we’re heading, with a decent core of players (Tierney, Saka, Smith-Rowe, Partey, Gabriel, Mari, Leno, etc) so league position alone isn’t the end of the world for me.

The deal breaker for me is Martinelli. I’d want to understand exactly why he isn’t playing and where he fits into Arteta’s plans. If he doesn’t fit in, I’d move Arteta on quickly. Martinelli could be a world beater and a future £100m profit. Arteta has already tanked the value of Guendouzi; he shouldn’t be allowed to do the same to Martinelli.

I’m still hopeful that Arteta rates Martinelli highly and has huge plans for him. 6 months ago people were losing their shit over the lack of game time Smith-Rowe was getting so hopefully things will change soon for Martinelli too. Hard to be confident of that though.

Rubbish season. Mid-table, no trophy and Martinelli marginalised is enough for me to want a change of manager. I hope things play out differently though!
Rob. Really. You are counting the Charity Shield as a trophy? Come on man.

falkirk goon

Re: Arteta IN or OUT! ? Right Now

Post by falkirk goon »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:22 pm
One Vote and 1 week to cast it.
It's Stupid hair OUT from me :D

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:36 pm

Firstly, community shield is a trophy? So was the Emirates cup but friendlies aren’t really counted mate. :lol:

To be clear, I’m saying IF we finish mid-table and get dumped out of the Europa League (so no Europe next season) I think his position becomes very difficult because that would be an awful season. Arsenal should never be finishing behind West Ham, Leicester, Everton and Villa (if it happens)

But yes, that’s not happened yet. A late push in the league or Europa League is needed very soon though if we’re to save our season!

Agreed on Martinelli. I’m hoping Arteta is being extra cautious rather than the worrying current reality that Willian, Smith-Rowe, Pepe, Saka and Auba are all getting game time on the left of the attack whilst Martinelli gets splinters in his arse on the bench :?

But yes, I mentioned how quickly things improved for Smith-Rowe so hopefully it’ll be the same for Martinelli.

That’s why I’d want Arteta to clarify his plans for Martinelli, Willian, Pepe, Auba etc. on the left of the attack. It’s a very clogged position and Arteta has recently committed Auba and Willian to long term contracts, and even shifted Smith-Rowe & Pepe to the left to accommodate Odegaard and Saka, which must be a worry for Martinelli.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

herbert wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:13 pm

Same criteria? What a load of twaddle ,Emery couldnt push the team over the line to win A) the Europa league and B) top four finish when it was there for the taking
Arteta pushed the team over the line with 2 brilliant team performances and won the fa cup in August in his first season and Emery won fuck all

If Arteta does not win another trophy and the league position doesnt improve by the october november next season then he will be gone
I love the warped logic to blatantly support the 'chosen one' against his predecessor.......this post just about sums up what I've been saying this past year or so

Emery finishes 5th but he's a clown because it wasn't 4th........Arteta finishes 8th, but he's god's gift because he jumped us up from 10th on the last day of the season. Now, he's taken us back to 10th, that's fine too

Arsene Wenger won 3 FA Cups in an era when most of sane mind wanted him gone - would you like to see him back too on the basis of finishing 6th and winning the 2017 FA Cup

Priceless.

The 22 games you went unbeaten and finished 1 point off the CL means nothing. Finishing 10th and winning the cup that Wenger won 7 times gives you a free pass - classic.

Last time I looked a PL season was about 38 games - not just the last half a dozen. Fact - we finished 5th under Emery, 8th under Arteta, and we sure as hell won't be coming anywhere near 5th this season.

augie

Post by augie »

Is the timing of the stories about Henry declaring his ambition to be Arsenal manager one day significant ? Is there possibly whispers behind the scene that areta's future will depend on a strong last 10 weeks and that anything less will see his removal ? It seems unusual that stories like this are "leaked or planted" in the press unless there is some uncertainty about the manager, and it is all the more surprising when you consider that henry and arteta are former team-mates :rubchin:

I know that a lot of the times these rumours turn out to be bullshite, but I also know that a lot of times agents leak these rumours to buddies in the media to stir things up a bit. In an ideal world would I want henry as manager ? No is the definite answer, but if you asked me if I would take him ahead of a failing arteta, then the answer is an emphatic yes

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

augie wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:38 am
Is the timing of the stories about Henry declaring his ambition to be Arsenal manager one day significant ? Is there possibly whispers behind the scene that areta's future will depend on a strong last 10 weeks and that anything less will see his removal ? It seems unusual that stories like this are "leaked or planted" in the press unless there is some uncertainty about the manager, and it is all the more surprising when you consider that henry and arteta are former team-mates :rubchin:

I know that a lot of the times these rumours turn out to be bullshite, but I also know that a lot of times agents leak these rumours to buddies in the media to stir things up a bit. In an ideal world would I want henry as manager ? No is the definite answer, but if you asked me if I would take him ahead of a failing arteta, then the answer is an emphatic yes
A serious case of heart ruling your head there mate. Thierry was abysmal at Monaco (arguably the second best club in France) and his record in a crap MLS was hardly impressive.

Honestly what makes you believe he'd do any better than Arteta? His love for the club is apparent but beyond that I only see it as swapping one novice for another.

Maybe in a few years with more experience and a modicum of success I'd agree but not at this moment in time.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

A contributing factor that is keeping Arteta in the job is that he has a clear plan and vision for the club. He has a definite strategy in what he wants the players to do, and how he is going to achieve it.
He has made mistakes and I have been critical of those mistakes, but, he is learning all the time. Along with edu they have cleared out a lot of deadwood. The same happened with GG. He didn't turn us into champions overnight. He won a trophy in his first season, had an average second season, lost to bloody Luton in a cup final, then won the league.
Arteta has made us harder to beat. We have the 2nd/3rd best defensive record in the league. Under Emery we had a very loose defence, at times it was non-existant. The next step would have been to get rid of players that simply aren't good enough, and by and large that has happened. Improving the player's mentality is the most challenging step. Making them feel proud to wear the shirt is the biggest challenge. This is the case in guendouzi is that he clearly see's Arsenal as a stepping stone to a bigger club, we don't need that mentality in the squad. The Arsenal should always be a destination club. A club you want to stay and play for, anywhere else is a step down. Wenger derailed that thought in players back in 2007.
The first step in arteta's plan was to make us tighter defensively, and he's achieved that, even with Luiz in the back 4. It has been said on here many, many times that after wenger it would take 4-5 years to build a decent team that will challenge, it's not been 3 seasons since he left, yet we are already on our 3rd manager. Arteta does pick the team however, he cannot account for players missing the chances they have had to kill games off when we were on top. More times than not this season we have been the better team, yet we just haven't put our chances away, with our best forwards on the pitch.
Whilst I'm currently dissatisfied with the team's current position, glimmers of hope have appeared repeatedly throughout the season, that give me enough encouragement that next season we will kick on a lot further by keeping Arteta.

herbert

Post by herbert »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:07 am
herbert wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:13 pm

I love the warped logic to blatantly support the 'chosen one' against his predecessor.......this post just about sums up what I've been saying this past year or so

Emery finishes 5th but he's a clown because it wasn't 4th........Arteta finishes 8th, but he's god's gift because he jumped us up from 10th on the last day of the season. Now, he's taken us back to 10th, that's fine too

Arsene Wenger won 3 FA Cups in an era when most of sane mind wanted him gone - would you like to see him back too on the basis of finishing 6th and winning the 2017 FA Cup

Priceless.

The 22 games you went unbeaten and finished 1 point off the CL means nothing. Finishing 10th and winning the cup that Wenger won 7 times gives you a free pass - classic.

Last time I looked a PL season was about 38 games - not just the last half a dozen. Fact - we finished 5th under Emery, 8th under Arteta, and we sure as hell won't be coming anywhere near 5th this season.
Put Emery on the list with all the managers who won something😁
He went 22 unbeaten and finished 5th and choked on the finishing line

I liked Emery Steveo
but I doubt he would have got us past City and Chelsea at the seasons end

Trophy's count
14 FA cups is something you should be proud of Steveo

Almunia is a clown

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:07 am

Priceless.

The Arteta supporters want different rules for their manager, not those that eventually applied to Wenger, Emery & previous Arsenal managers have been bound by, why should Captain Black get another season if he can't qualify for a European place? :blah:

We just get bullshite soundbites & spin jargon, "trust the process" "clear plan & vision for the club" :barscarf:

There is no reason to keep this also ran beginner in a job, unless he qualifies for Europe, it was mentioned that George Graham failed in his second season just as Arteta is failing now, what a load of bollox, GG finished 6th, good enough for European qualification most seasons nowadays, but Arteta can finish 10th or even lower & he keeps his job.

Even Bruce Rioch finished 5th in his only season, he would have been easily sacked before he eventually was for 10th place.

So now we have special dispensation for Captain Black? Last time we did something very similar we had Billy Wright, before my time but talked to older Gooners & that was a total disaster!

Fúck off Arteta, go do your apprenticeship somewhere else! :cussing: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: