Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

rodders999

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by rodders999 »

Puerile shite, what cheeky bastard was that again? :lol:

I’m gonna buy SteveO and Augie one of these bad boys for match day, wear with pride boys and remember that 22 match unbeaten run before it all went to shit :barscarf:

There can be no losers in this tie, everyone gets a semi :barscarf:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:23 pm
Puerile shite, what cheeky bastard was that again? :lol:

I’m gonna buy SteveO and Augie one of these bad boys for match day, wear with pride boys and remember that 22 match unbeaten run before it all went to shit :barscarf:

There can be no losers in this tie, everyone gets a semi :barscarf:
When this cock goes on anything like a 22 game unbeaten run and takes the race to the CL places to the wire, you can mock away all you like

There's going to be a third tier European competition next season starting in July and El Brittas won't even get us into that !

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:35 am
It's going to be some craic in here if we get Villareal at some point in the elge.
Poor Augie and Stevo wont know who to cheer on :lol: :lol: :lol:
:D :D :D

No doubt who I will be cheering for buddy and it sure as hell won't be Unai

It would be an interesting bingo card list of excuses if they did knock us out though. What price someone mentions "he's a good manager in Spain but just not the right one for us" - top of the pile that one will be!

I'm not ashamed to say though that if we don't win it, I'd like them to win it. Decent guy who never once made an excuse, and made a classy statement on the way out.....something I firmly predict that Maureen won't be doing when the Spuds fire his arse!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:36 pm
goonersid wrote:
It's going to be some craic in here if we get Villareal at some point in the elge.

Honestly I have moved on from emery except when it comes to relating the woeful lob sided bullshit view of arteta’s performance and this perceived improvement. If people on here all recognised that emery was in fact doing a better job than pep’s coneboy, then there would never be a need to discuss him again
Huh? What? So you will keep going on about Emery until everyone agrees with you? :lol: :wink:

Point in question though. Which part of Emery's reign was he doing a better job? The first half? I'd agree absolutely. The second half when we were absolute gash and he fucked away the easiest run in to CL qualification in the history of football and got humiliated in the EL final by the chav.... not so much huh?

Ffs you are comparing two shades of shite in a way. NEITHER are good enough for a club like Arsenal. And they both proved it.

That doesn't mean they won't both be successful in the future. Different country, different club, different circumstances, who is to say they won't? But fuck me it's going to get seriously tedious on here if everytime Emery has some success we have to read "I told you so" from people as if he would have had that same success with us. That's a general comment augie and not a dig at you. :wink:

Just to be clear now for any window lickers lurking. No I'm not saying Martinez-Lite is a good manager. I never wanted him appointed and I want him gone. But it's starting to get silly on here with how much better Emery's performance with us has suddenly become.... :roll:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:59 am
augie wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:36 pm
goonersid wrote:

Honestly I have moved on from emery except when it comes to relating the woeful lob sided bullshit view of arteta’s performance and this perceived improvement. If people on here all recognised that emery was in fact doing a better job than pep’s coneboy, then there would never be a need to discuss him again
Huh? What? So you will keep going on about Emery until everyone agrees with you? :lol: :wink:

Point in question though. Which part of Emery's reign was he doing a better job? The first half? I'd agree absolutely. The second half when we were absolute gash and he fucked away the easiest run in to CL qualification in the history of football and got humiliated in the EL final by the chav.... not so much huh?

Ffs you are comparing two shades of shite in a way. NEITHER are good enough for a club like Arsenal. And they both proved it.

That doesn't mean they won't both be successful in the future. Different country, different club, different circumstances, who is to say they won't? But fuck me it's going to get seriously tedious on here if everytime Emery has some success we have to read "I told you so" from people as if he would have had that same success with us. That's a general comment augie and not a dig at you. :wink:

Just to be clear now for any window lickers lurking. No I'm not saying Martinez-Lite is a good manager. I never wanted him appointed and I want him gone. But it's starting to get silly on here with how much better Emery's performance with us has suddenly become.... :roll:
Do you want me to add anything? :D :D :wink:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Thing is! If we were to win the Elge, which is possible, though unlikely.
Any Arsenal fan calling for Arteta to be sacked, would be ridiculed as, spoilt, fickle, embarrassing and the most ungrateful shower in English football. (and to argue with that would make you like a twat)
He would have just won us our first European trophy in 26 years!
2 trophies in as many seasons!
We would be in the Clge next season and we would be told that our Plge form would improve.
Bollocks!!! Arteta is not up to managing our club!
We need to crash out of the Elge, finish as low as possible in the plge and watch an unprecedented fans backlash next season.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:30 pm
Any Arsenal fan calling for Arteta to be sacked, would be ridiculed as, spoilt, fickle, embarrassing and the most ungrateful shower in English football. (and to argue with that would make you like a twat)
We would be in the Clge next season and we would be told that our Plge form would improve.
We need to crash out of the Elge, finish as low as possible in the plge and watch an unprecedented fans backlash next season.
You're probably right Sid, which is a shame.

We might mock the Chavs but Di Matteo won the CL for them and was gone part way through the next season when it was clear he wasn't up to the job

We could conceivably reach the final of the EL by beating Dundalk, Molde, Rapid Vienna, Benfica, Olympiacos, Slavia Prague and Villareal/Zagreb. Once in the final its game on - absolutely anyone's in a one off game....and the way this draw is working out it could be Granada or Ajax we meet there. I guarantee that Chelsea would let the bloke win the competition but if the league form carried on as shite the next season he'd be out. Why can't we do that?

I don't want to cheer against us, and I want us to win the EL. Not because I give two fucks about participating in the cup we'll never win, but because as you say it would be our first European trophy in more than 20 years. But lets agree its a substandard competition where the absolute minimum requirement is the QF or even SF.....and if we're still midtable next season he should be gone, regardless of whether we win the EL

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

goonersid wrote:
Unprecedented fan backlash?... you mean, similar to the backlash against Emery and Wenger?

It’s not unprecedented; it’s becoming an annual event :barscarf: :lol:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

g88ner wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:47 pm
goonersid wrote:
Unprecedented fan backlash?... you mean, similar to the backlash against Emery and Wenger?

It’s the only enjoyable bit nowadays

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

StuartL wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:23 pm
g88ner wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:47 pm
goonersid wrote:

It’s the only enjoyable bit nowadays
Just a shame we won't have the lap of appreciation to honour the team's epic 10th place finish, bravely wrestling off Leeds and Crystal Palace in the quest to finish in the top half

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

When we won the league back in 2004 with the Invincibles was football any less demanding? 38 PL games and we got to the FA Cup semi final and the Champions League QF

I just checked the history books. In the backline Lauren started 30 games, Cashley 32 games, Campbell 35 games and Toure 36 games.

All this "we need to rest and rotate" bollocks is exactly that - absolute and utter bollocks

This year its widely recognised that City's massive improvement is down to having a settled back line

When the Mickeys won it last year, Van Dijk and Alexander Arnold played all 38 games, Robertson 36 games, and the front three of Salah, Mane and Firmino played 34, 35 and 38 respectively

Show me title winners and I'll show you a settled team. Even Leicester managed it. What chance have we got with this fuckwit making 6 or 7 changes per game? Absolutely no chance for centre half or striking partnerships to develop.

Pissing me off so much now - just an absolute imposter

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:09 pm
When we won the league back in 2004 with the Invincibles was football any less demanding? 38 PL games and we got to the FA Cup semi final and the Champions League QF

I just checked the history books. In the backline Lauren started 30 games, Cashley 32 games, Campbell 35 games and Toure 36 games.

All this "we need to rest and rotate" bollocks is exactly that - absolute and utter bollocks

This year its widely recognised that City's massive improvement is down to having a settled back line

When the Mickeys won it last year, Van Dijk and Alexander Arnold played all 38 games, Robertson 36 games, and the front three of Salah, Mane and Firmino played 34, 35 and 38 respectively

Show me title winners and I'll show you a settled team. Even Leicester managed it. What chance have we got with this fuckwit making 6 or 7 changes per game? Absolutely no chance for centre half or striking partnerships to develop.

100% on the money.

GG always worked under the ethos of you win the league from the back and - most importantly - with a settled lineup that becomes almost a team within a team. The famous back four knew each other inside out. They were a solid unit.

Same in midfield and up front. Players need to get used to each other, learn to read each other.

One of the best midfield twos I've ever seen was Petit and Vieira. The way they could interchange roles, Petit would go Vieira would hold or vice versa. They knew each other and trusted each other. You don't develop that by playing every third or fourth game together.

Look at Tierney. One of our best players but starting to look increasingly frustrated with the constant tinkering with who plays in front of him and beside him.

This is basic shit too. That's what is so worrying. Martinez-Lite either can't see it because he is that fucking stupid or refuses to see it because his ego is that fucking fucked. Either scenario spells disaster. :|

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

At 3 - Nil against the murderers yesterday... I was thinking this could EASILY be 5 or 6 Nil...I was so tempted to switch off and come back on th e90th minute to see this place go into fuckking Meltdown and Hostgator even freeze... but it wasn't to be.... :? and of course captain black did his usual " the teams/players showed tremendous mental strength and spirit to come back from being 3 nil down :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: fuckking :blah: "

The thing is as long as the team keep coming back from such disastrous play in the 1st half of games - The fuckking melts like those on AFTV etc are going to keep lauding him and sucking his knob - They don't see or realise that the team should NEVER have been 3 - Nil down in the First Place.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

John F

Post by John F »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:54 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:09 pm

100% on the money.

GG always worked under the ethos of you win the league from the back and - most importantly - with a settled lineup that becomes almost a team within a team. The famous back four knew each other inside out. They were a solid unit.

Same in midfield and up front. Players need to get used to each other, learn to read each other.

One of the best midfield twos I've ever seen was Petit and Vieira. The way they could interchange roles, Petit would go Vieira would hold or vice versa. They knew each other and trusted each other. You don't develop that by playing every third or fourth game together.

Look at Tierney. One of our best players but starting to look increasingly frustrated with the constant tinkering with who plays in front of him and beside him.

This is basic shit too. That's what is so worrying. Martinez-Lite either can't see it because he is that fucking stupid or refuses to see it because his ego is that fucking fucked. Either scenario spells disaster. :|
Totally agree it is just common sense to play a settled side. Ranieri was nicknamed the tinker man by the press when he was at Chelsea and eventually sacked for his constant tinkering. With Arteta, it is trust the process.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

I'm sure everyone on here, would like to wish Mikel a Happy 39th birthday today