Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

Redarmy

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Redarmy »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:00 am
Redarmy wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:46 am
Thursdays game was always the important one...

We was 9th before yesterdays loss....we are stil 9th

With that in mind would it not been a good idea to rest one of the seasons better performers....say Tierney?

Arteta is on around £5 million a year and just dont see many good decisions coming from him

He has been culpable in previous games with poor team selection and substitutions....changing the game against us

Why bring on Martinelli with 10 mins left....if he thinks he can nick a goal, bring him on earlier, anyone would think hes puropsely fucking him around

So many games we start so slowly, with little effort or desire....chasing the game like we did at West Ham

Would like to see us win the Europa, and build for next season.....but just think we are in for a whole load more grief for the forseeable future
Please tell me that bit isn't true? It's embarrassing enough having this helmet in charge, but seriously? Should be £2m maximum for a novice like him - no wonder the wig wearing c.unt won't sack him
The last thing he will do is resign...that wont happen

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:48 am
Btw DB10, if brendan rodgers rang looking for arteta's job I would give it to him in a heartbeat and pay him twice what arteta is getting. I know that you aint a rodgers fan but at this stage you have to admit that he is the type of "low budget manager who has his teams performing more than the sum of their parts", that we absolutely need. He has experience, has tactical knowledge, has respect from players and within the game, and has enough arrogance to believe that he can do the job but not to believe that he is jesus reincarnate like this c.unt does :roll:
He'd be a short term fix augster. I agree he is better than Martinez-Lite, but then so is my dead granny. Also, as SteveO says, his teams always collapse. Not for me I'm afraid. Less shit is still shit. :wink:

We need to raise our expectations. We are The Arsenal. Just a shame our dog of an owner has no idea what that means. :censored:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:17 pm
augie wrote:
Btw DB10, if brendan rodgers rang looking for arteta's job I would give it to him in a heartbeat and pay him twice what arteta is getting. I know that you aint a rodgers fan but at this stage you have to admit that he is the type of "low budget manager who has his teams performing more than the sum of their parts", that we absolutely need. He has experience, has tactical knowledge, has respect from players and within the game, and has enough arrogance to believe that he can do the job but not to believe that he is jesus reincarnate like this c.unt does :roll:
He'd be a short term fix augster. I agree he is better than Martinez-Lite, but then so is my dead granny. Also, as SteveO says, his teams always collapse. Not for me I'm afraid. Less shit is still shit. :wink:

We need to raise our expectations. We are The Arsenal. Just a shame our dog of an owner has no idea what that means. :censored:
Apparently its unclear whether Dyche will stay at Burnley under the new owners mate, so don't give up hope just yet :D :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:22 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:17 pm
augie wrote:

Apparently its unclear whether Dyche will stay at Burnley under the new owners mate, so don't give up hope just yet :D :wink:
:barscarf: :lol:

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Any Gooner who still wants Arteta to stay as manager after 50 league games when his record & league table position is much worse than his predecessors needs to answer why the same criteria to sack the previous two managers doesn't apply to Captain Black, :barscarf:

Answers such as trust the process are just club & media sound bites, designed to deflect real analysis. :banghead: :banghead:

As for the FA Cup win (total matches played 6) that Arteta won during his first 50 League games...........

Wenger also won an FA Cup during his last 50 league matches, lost a League Cup final & reached the semi final of the Europa League (played 14, lost 2)

Emery reached the Europa League final & lost (played 15, lost 3), he also qualified the next season from the EL group stage (played 6, lost 1) & then Arteta over as manger & went straight out in the first knock out stage against Olympiacos ! :barscarf:

Many claim Arteta's FA Cup win strengthens the case to keep him as manager of Arsenal, but both the previous managers also have a better record in the Europa League so far & Wenger matched the FA Cup win.

Arteta's last chance saloon is the Europa League. :rubchin: It's a very big task ahead. If he succeeds he deserves another season.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:04 am
Any Gooner who still wants Arteta to stay as manager after 50 league games when his record & league table position is much worse than his predecessors needs to answer why the same criteria to sack the previous two managers doesn't apply to Captain Black, :barscarf:

Answers such as trust the process are just club & media sound bites, designed to deflect real analysis. :banghead: :banghead:

As for the FA Cup win (total matches played 6) that Arteta won during his first 50 League games...........

Wenger also won an FA Cup during his last 50 league matches, lost a League Cup final & reached the semi final of the Europa League (played 14, lost 2)

Emery reached the Europa League final & lost (played 15, lost 3), he also qualified the next season from the EL group stage (played 6, lost 1) & then Arteta over as manger & went straight out in the first knock out stage against Olympiacos ! :barscarf:

Many claim Arteta's FA Cup win strengthens the case to keep him as manager of Arsenal, but both the previous managers also have a better record in the Europa League so far & Wenger matched the FA Cup win.

Arteta's last chance saloon is the Europa League. :rubchin: It's a very big task ahead. If he succeeds he deserves another season.
Indeed - his league record is nothing short of pathetic, way inferior to both Wenger (at his worst) and Emery. isn't the league supposed to be the yardstick? Take last season's FA Cup out of Arteta's results and it is a sorry tale. The stats were all there - worst start since 1975 - and yet now the goalposts have moved and the results seemingly don't matter

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

I just want him gone regardless but NOT if his replacement is of the same ilk. Unless we pay up and get a proper manager then there really is no point. Sadly my faith in our owner and board is so low I honestly don't see any change at all on the horizon.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Let me begin by saying I'm not convinced by him ,team selection and ,tactics,are baffling to even the most intelligent of observers ,and what's worse I've yet to see a brand style beginning to emerge that you can identify with and get behind .
It has to be said though that what he walked into was a toxic circus with clowns running the show and performing in it .
I do think that he is more than aware of the playing problems we have had and is trying to resolve that within the constraints of budget and contracts and attitudes of the players . But even after making examples out of Ozil ,Sokratis,Sideshow,Torriera,MN, he still had to deal with the ego's of Pepe,LAca,auba,and xhaka all of whom are prima donnas .
Whilst Im tepid regarding his tenure I do realise that we are a mid table club and that it might take some years ,with good husbandry and field management to get us back .
At this stage of the season I dont care if we get into europe because we are not capable of winning it and im less than thrilled by the epic encounters with dundalk and molde even though im sure id have gone to these places on the piss but we aren't capable of winning a european pot .
what i would do though from now till seasons end is play the youngsters in every game ,fuck the results and just have a go rather than play hide and seek as we did against the dippers !
Is Arteta the man for the Job ,dunno but there aren't many who would relish joining Arsenal right now ,Im not sure who the german of the month is for May so I don't see why he shouldn't continue ...........for now !

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

The water breaks, last season, helped perpetuate the myth that he knows what he is doing.

Water breaks made the mans career.

augie

Post by augie »

Herd wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:34 am
Let me begin by saying I'm not convinced by him ,team selection and ,tactics,are baffling to even the most intelligent of observers ,and what's worse I've yet to see a brand style beginning to emerge that you can identify with and get behind .
It has to be said though that what he walked into was a toxic circus with clowns running the show and performing in it .
I do think that he is more than aware of the playing problems we have had and is trying to resolve that within the constraints of budget and contracts and attitudes of the players . But even after making examples out of Ozil ,Sokratis,Sideshow,Torriera,MN, he still had to deal with the ego's of Pepe,LAca,auba,and xhaka all of whom are prima donnas .
Whilst Im tepid regarding his tenure I do realise that we are a mid table club and that it might take some years ,with good husbandry and field management to get us back .
At this stage of the season I dont care if we get into europe because we are not capable of winning it and im less than thrilled by the epic encounters with dundalk and molde even though im sure id have gone to these places on the piss but we aren't capable of winning a european pot .
what i would do though from now till seasons end is play the youngsters in every game ,fuck the results and just have a go rather than play hide and seek as we did against the dippers !
Is Arteta the man for the Job ,dunno but there aren't many who would relish joining Arsenal right now ,Im not sure who the german of the month is for May so I don't see why he shouldn't continue ...........for now !

Whilst not naming us (or any specific club), the fat spanish waiter is whoring himself in the papers again today as a guy waiting for a job in the premier league - my stance on him hasnt changed in that he wouldnt be in my top 3 choices (I would prefer rodgers tbh), but he would be a massive upgrade on pep's waterboy

Herd

Post by Herd »

Thing is Augie I want a long term fix and that isn't the FSW and it is possible Arteta could come good .
Who I really want is Dennis Berkamp and have done for years !

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

augie wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:56 pm
Herd wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:34 am

Whilst not naming us (or any specific club), the fat spanish waiter is whoring himself in the papers again today as a guy waiting for a job in the premier league - my stance on him hasnt changed in that he wouldnt be in my top 3 choices (I would prefer rodgers tbh), but he would be a massive upgrade on pep's waterboy
Agree, I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole normally but I'd actually take him right now tbh. One year contract with the option of a further year (just to keep him sweet). Minimal transfer budget, sell to buy.

Someone with his experience may be just what we need to stop the rot before it passes the point of no return.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Whoever takes the job HAS to have significant managerial experience - doesn't matter if its not in Europe, or even this country......it has to be someone who can break all the dressing room snipers and mugs who can't be arsed. GG had neither top flight or European experience. Wenger had no experience of managing in this country. Neither did Conte. Neither did Maureen when he first won the league with the Chavs.

This job is a poisoned chalice of a job, and only a ruthless fucker prepared to punt everyone from the captain to the keeper, and put their faith in youngsters and hungrier players prepared to listen and learn, will prevail.

The worst outcome for me will be a club legend with limited to no managerial experience, so no DB10, TH14, PV4.....please no. Don't ruin their legacy.

Rafa the Gaffer wouldn't be the best choice but nor would he be the worst - won it all, done it all, worked with big players, punted big money earners and personalities.

A novice or person with connections to the club will continue to massage the egos of fuckwits like Xhaka, and will put up with Auba when he gets the sulks. We can't afford that anymore. For more than a decade, there has been a piss taking culture at this club and it cost Wenger and Emery their jobs, and El Beige is unable to stop it.

Conte is a ruthless fucker. Go get him - unfinished business over here

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Conte is my absolute first choice Stevo. A narky, argumentative fùcker who doesn't put up with any crap from below him or even above him. If there was a chance he'd be interested in taking the job it's not something I could ever see happening, ever. Our lot wouldn't even consider him.

augie

Post by augie »

Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:48 pm
Conte is my absolute first choice Stevo. A narky, argumentative fùcker who doesn't put up with any crap from below him or even above him. If there was a chance he'd be interested in taking the job it's not something I could ever see happening, ever. Our lot wouldn't even consider him.

I would like conte (mini simeone really) but the one thing that would worry me is that he will find himself isolated WHEN (not if) he falls out with some players cos our tosser fanbase have shown themselves to be happy to throw a manager under the bus if he upsets our pussified players