Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

augie

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by augie »

arrgee wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:14 pm
https://www.arsenal.com/news/arteta-thi ... r-strategy

“That’s the complexity in this industry, we are trying to build a medium to long-term project, which needs immediate results. That only happens in elite sport and most importantly in football. We have to embrace that challenge." - Captain Black

Fcuk me, football is easy peasy simple. Manage 11 men and put them on a pitch and get them to score more goals than the opposition. And it’s not an industry. It is a sport. As for immediate results, that is the same in more or less every private company not only "elite sport". You can’t dick around telling your shareholders everything will be fine in the medium to long term when your competitors are taking your market share. Football is unlike most businesses in that the customers don’t go elsewhere.

#CaptainBlackOut

Ah the old "how long is a piece of string" mentally :roll: All these words about supporting a process with no timeframe commitment, and ignoring the reality that the team is going backwards massively :censored: Someone should ask him when we can expect this process to bear fruit :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:27 pm
Friend of a friend works at Colney. I hear snippets from time to time. By all accounts when Arteta first turned up he was a real breath of fresh air. The way he instilled confidence in everyone was great. People thought he was the real deal. His man management skills were great. He made you feel ten foot tall whether you were Auba or the tea lady. He also dealt with some of the problem cases such as Ozil by giving them a chance and then basically banishing them. The Guendouzi case as I am told was that he made a fool of himself against Brighton. Great that he stood up for the side but Arteta said he had to show more self-discipline as he could have been sent off. What I am told is that a simple chat in the manager’s office descended into a full blown row and he offered Arteta out and had to be pulled away. It was recorded on CCTV I am told. Once you do that then I think you have no future with the boss. As far as what is going on now, I personally feel that the senior players have pretty much without exception let him down. He has given them chance after chance and there is no sign of any improvement. He is also recruiting poorly with Edu. I can’t say who is the major issue there (I would assume Edu). Any time we get someone new in they are just as bad. Meanwhile the youth have stepped up but we need more than just Saka and ESR to carry the team. My frustration with it all is his tactics and his faith in Xhaka. I think he likes Xhaka because Xhaka backs the manager. But as well all know, Xhaka will ultimately get Arteta the sack. I don’t think I’ve seen a poorer Arsenal captain other than say Gallas.

I just think Arteta is a novice manager who has tried every tool in his box and has alienated the whole squad whilst doing it. To be fair to him though I don’t think people appreciate how poor our recruitment has been for about 10 years now. The level of ability but more than anything the level of professionalism is shocking. If these players were on average wages I genuinely believe Arteta would have moved a lot more on and we would have a side more in the shape of what he wants to see. But we just can’t get rid of them so we fiddle round the edges whilst Edu carries on defrauding the Club. All in all Arteta started well but has got bogged down in internal politics at the Club. He is being let down by the Club but he is now floundering.

Sorry for the rant!

And that is where the problem starts - seriously was there any need to bring guendouzi into the office over that ? Was there a need to tell a player that he made a fool of himself ? The whole incident started after the final whistle and lets be honest here and acknowledge that it was highly unlikely if any referee would send a guy off for that stuff AFTER the final whistle. Can you imagine how pep's cone boy would have treated keown, lauren and parlour if he was the manager the day of the fracas at old shatford ??

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:27 pm
Friend of a friend works at Colney. I hear snippets from time to time. By all accounts when Arteta first turned up he was a real breath of fresh air. The way he instilled confidence in everyone was great. People thought he was the real deal. His man management skills were great. He made you feel ten foot tall whether you were Auba or the tea lady. He also dealt with some of the problem cases such as Ozil by giving them a chance and then basically banishing them. The Guendouzi case as I am told was that he made a fool of himself against Brighton. Great that he stood up for the side but Arteta said he had to show more self-discipline as he could have been sent off. What I am told is that a simple chat in the manager’s office descended into a full blown row and he offered Arteta out and had to be pulled away. It was recorded on CCTV I am told. Once you do that then I think you have no future with the boss. As far as what is going on now, I personally feel that the senior players have pretty much without exception let him down. He has given them chance after chance and there is no sign of any improvement. He is also recruiting poorly with Edu. I can’t say who is the major issue there (I would assume Edu). Any time we get someone new in they are just as bad. Meanwhile the youth have stepped up but we need more than just Saka and ESR to carry the team. My frustration with it all is his tactics and his faith in Xhaka. I think he likes Xhaka because Xhaka backs the manager. But as well all know, Xhaka will ultimately get Arteta the sack. I don’t think I’ve seen a poorer Arsenal captain other than say Gallas.

I just think Arteta is a novice manager who has tried every tool in his box and has alienated the whole squad whilst doing it. To be fair to him though I don’t think people appreciate how poor our recruitment has been for about 10 years now. The level of ability but more than anything the level of professionalism is shocking. If these players were on average wages I genuinely believe Arteta would have moved a lot more on and we would have a side more in the shape of what he wants to see. But we just can’t get rid of them so we fiddle round the edges whilst Edu carries on defrauding the Club. All in all Arteta started well but has got bogged down in internal politics at the Club. He is being let down by the Club but he is now floundering.

Sorry for the rant!

That's why I hope once they fuck Captain Black off - Guendouzi can be brought back Or have we definitely sold him??? I can think of quite a few Gooners on here who would happily buy Guendouzi a pint had he stuck one of him....

As for the Saliba debacle NOTHING has been said, and Saliba is playing very good at Marseille, also him and Guendouzi have become best mates...

Why the fuckk are they playing the likes of Holding, Chambers and the greek bloke in the back four and yet they've sent Saliba out on loan (again)! - It just doesn't make sense.

or as Spock would say "It's fucking Illogical" :?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:55 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:33 pm
Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:16 pm
🔴 #AFC hierarchy remain convinced Arteta is still the right man
🔴 Much of his tenure has been spent firefighting or trying to resolve inherited problems
🔴 Arsenal's summer transfer business looked extravagant yet uninspiring in equal measure

🖊 @OliverKay (@TheAthletic)

The Athletic is Arsenal's new Pravda. The propaganda machine is really churning for Supreme Leader Mikel.

Don't rule out altered score lines coming out in a few weeks, to to show how great things are. 12-0 wins across the board.
That's the bit I always love. Emery was given 15 months to sort out a decade of 'inherited problems' :roll:
Didnt Emery also give Xhaka a new contract? Didnt Emery rehabilitate Xhaka into the squad after the CP debacle, didnt Emery play Mustafi more times than any other player than PEA, sorry SteveO I'm happy to give Arteta a ton of shit but Emery was just as guilty of being short sighted and consistently playing below par players. In fact in Emerys case it is worse because he is a massively more experienced Manager than Arteta and should have been able to deal with the sheisters in the squad much better :roll:

I'll say it again Emery could have been a good replacement and in hindsight I'd have preferred them the other way around if they were the only options but Emery got himself sacked just as much as fans and players did. :box:
That wasn't my point mate - of course he made mistakes, the biggest of the lot being allowing that cock to extend his deal. I disagree with the whole 'rehabilitation' shit though - one dead rubber EL game and he was off in January

My point is that Arteta's defenders in the media are keen to point out all the internal shit and firefighting to deal with. My point is that Emery had it every bit as hard - in fact I'd argue worse still

Midz

Post by Midz »

Emery, Arteta, Conte, Pep, Allegri, Simeone, Fergie, Wenger.
It makes little difference whoever the manager is. One might get a few better results than another but they've all got to play with the same shit. Our squad is full of shit players with shit attitudes. The vast majority of them are just collecting a very big paycheck and care little about anything else. this is the major problem at Arsenal Football club.

Midz

Post by Midz »

Oh, the management are a clueless bunch of c.unts as well which doesn't help matters. :roll:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

According to @cfbayern, Mikel Arteta promised Bernd Leno that he will return to the team for the Tottenham game. #Arsenal https://t.co/wVJLkVkoi5

Mikel Arteta has promised Bernd Leno that he will just have a break for two matches, so he should return on the pitch for Arsenal’s match against Tottenham on 26th September. [@cfbayern] #afc https://t.co/7xS2pfqQ7G

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:16 am
According to @cfbayern, Mikel Arteta promised Bernd Leno that he will return to the team for the Tottenham game. #Arsenal https://t.co/wVJLkVkoi5

Mikel Arteta has promised Bernd Leno that he will just have a break for two matches, so he should return on the pitch for Arsenal’s match against Tottenham on 26th September. [@cfbayern] #afc https://t.co/7xS2pfqQ7G
A football manager shouldn’t be making promises to anyone. If this is true then Arteta is showing his naïveté yet again.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arteta on reports that he told Leno he will be in goal for next week’s north London derby: "I don’t know where they are coming from but they are ahead of me! I think I am the one who picks the team at the weekend & sometimes I read things that I haven’t decided yet!" #Arsenal https://t.co/UfL8Cq0mOU

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

"I can really see the light. I’m telling you I’m very positive most of the time. I can see bright lights." Arteta via @Arsenal.

The Spanish Derick Acorah can now see bright lights. :roll:

Is he taking advice from the same bird as Hoddle? :lol:

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:14 pm
"I can really see the light. I’m telling you I’m very positive most of the time. I can see bright lights." Arteta via @Arsenal.
That would be the doctor that is examining him.

"No evidence of any consciousness here, nurse."

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

“I’m getting the word… SACKED!”

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:51 pm

“I’m getting the word… SACKED!”
:lol:

"I'm getting a name.... is there... is there a John in the audience?"

:lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

:lol: :lol:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

:lol:

:lol: :lol:

Ray Parlour asked her for a short back and sides apparantly.