Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

Clummo99

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Clummo99 »

augie wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:03 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:48 pm
Conte is my absolute first choice Stevo. A narky, argumentative fùcker who doesn't put up with any crap from below him or even above him. If there was a chance he'd be interested in taking the job it's not something I could ever see happening, ever. Our lot wouldn't even consider him.

I would like conte (mini simeone really) but the one thing that would worry me is that he will find himself isolated WHEN (not if) he falls out with some players cos our tosser fanbase have shown themselves to be happy to throw a manager under the bus if he upsets our pussified players
Mate he falls out with everyone, everywhere! :lol:

I'm still only talking short term. If he was to come and we got 3 years it would be a result. I'm pretty sure when I say that he would have done a proper job in that time and set us up nicely for the next man.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:16 pm
augie wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:
Conte is my absolute first choice Stevo. A narky, argumentative fùcker who doesn't put up with any crap from below him or even above him. If there was a chance he'd be interested in taking the job it's not something I could ever see happening, ever. Our lot wouldn't even consider him.

I would like conte (mini simeone really) but the one thing that would worry me is that he will find himself isolated WHEN (not if) he falls out with some players cos our tosser fanbase have shown themselves to be happy to throw a manager under the bus if he upsets our pussified players

I'm still only talking short term. If he was to come and we got 3 years it would be a result. I'm pretty sure when I say that he would have done a proper job in that time and set us up nicely for the next man.
Won the league for the Chavs and the FA Cup the next year - they haven't been near the title since.

Would be a great choice - and if he upsets a few/most of our little snowflakes then so be it

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:21 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
augie wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:

Won the league for the Chavs and the FA Cup the next year - they haven't been near the title since.

Would be a great choice - and if he upsets a few/most of our little snowflakes then so be it

I dont care if he falls out with a few players either, but I seen what happened with emery when he dared to fall out with a few of them and I suspect that conte too would be thrown under the bus and blamed for any fall out because of his stormy reputation.
In my opinion, IF were to ever appoint conte, then we would have to commit to it 100%

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

augie wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:46 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:21 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
augie wrote:
Clummo99 wrote:

I dont care if he falls out with a few players either, but I seen what happened with emery when he dared to fall out with a few of them and I suspect that conte too would be thrown under the bus and blamed for any fall out because of his stormy reputation.
In my opinion, IF were to ever appoint conte, then we would have to commit to it 100%
History suggests that Conte wouldn't stand for it though. He'd probably fùck them all off and we'd be left with just Partey and only because he's played under Simeone. :lol:

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

I just don’t get the support for Arteta. Even ignoring the awful in game management (possibly his worst ‘issue’), for me, the fact that he appears to want to renew Luiz and Elneny, the fact that he worked so hard to bring in Willian (I quote Arteta himself on that) and then continually played him until he actually did something, whilst not giving other, more deserving players a chance, the late ‘Wengeresque’ substitutions, normally extremely poor choices..... I could actually go on!

He seems totally obsessed with what happens on the training ground not what happens during actual matches, he plays a very average, very slow CB at RB against a team with pace out wide..... when both RB’s were actually fit and available. How the fuck is Leno still getting a game? Ryan is a decent keeper, give him a chance FFS.

I am totally convinced that under Arteta we will never finish higher than tenth in the PL. the man is an unmitigated disaster. This will set Arsenal back EVEN FURTHER! I hate him......can you tell?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

TeeCee wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:06 pm
I just don’t get the support for Arteta. Even ignoring the awful in game management (possibly his worst ‘issue’), for me, the fact that he appears to want to renew Luiz and Elneny, the fact that he worked so hard to bring in Willian (I quote Arteta himself on that) and then continually played him until he actually did something, whilst not giving other, more deserving players a chance, the late ‘Wengeresque’ substitutions, normally extremely poor choices..... I could actually go on!

He seems totally obsessed with what happens on the training ground not what happens during actual matches, he plays a very average, very slow CB at RB against a team with pace out wide..... when both RB’s were actually fit and available. How the fuck is Leno still getting a game? Ryan is a decent keeper, give him a chance FFS.

I am totally convinced that under Arteta we will never finish higher than tenth in the PL. the man is an unmitigated disaster. This will set Arsenal back EVEN FURTHER! I hate him......can you tell?
Doomed to failure from the minute of his appointment. If you exclude temporary managers and have a look at the list of those managers younger than him in the whole history of the Premier League, you get this stellar list:

Chris Coleman, Gianluca Vialli, AVB, Ruud Gullit, Alex Neil, Stuart Pearce, Paul Jewell, Garry Monk, Aidy Boothroyd, Glenn Hoddle, Gareth Southgate, Steve Clarke, Roy Keane, Roberto Martinez, Peter Reid, Jan Siewart, John Deehan, Steve Coppell, Micky Adams, Mark McGhee, Danny Wilson and Eddie Howe

First question - how many of those would you take as Arsenal manager? Howe, maybe? Steve Clarke doing an ok job with Scotland. Beyond that its a struggle isn't it. A few may have said Martinez a few years back....

In amongst that lot you've got people who went on and did ok coaching an international team years later but flopped terribly at club level

Some guys were appointed because of their playing connections - mostly ex-Chavs and didn't last long. Coppell had a great career at Palace but then walked on Man City admitting he couldn't handle the pressure. AVB was a massive flop after winning everything in Portugal.

Some guys have gone on and done ok with smaller clubs but have a look at the entire list and pick out anyone who resembles a successful PL manager. Eddie Howe deserves much credit but look at the rest

The most basic research in the world and the club failed miserably. Not Arteta's fault that he isn't 10 years older and more experienced - he just isn't, and on that basis alone should be nowhere near managing a club like Arsenal. By all means cut your teeth on Wigan, Bournemouth or Middlesbrough like some of those lads did, but to walk into this job......just unthinkable.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Wanted him to succeed.

he hasn't

he Won't

FuckOFF Captain Scarlet.

End Of.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

AND!!!!!!

I guess this kind of puts all our concerns about AFC in perspective really doesn't it.

???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/science-e ... t-56634629

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Really disappointed after the Liverpool defeat. It seems the payers have done for Arteta, what they did for Emery. I think it is simple now. Five players need to go in the summer. Pepe, Aubameyang, Xhaka, Bellerin and Lacazette. The common theme in letting the club down during wenger's last season, emery's entire tenure and Arteta's so far.

It was no surprise when he went with the academy players we did much better. They want to play for The Arsenal. Whilst it is obvious Odegaard is a quality player, he won't stay when Champions League clubs come knocking. ESR is a more than adequate no.10 and should've been chosen ahead of Odegaard when fit to play.

We do have AMN, Willock, Saliba, Medley and Guendouzi all to return from successful loan spells. I'd still keep Arteta as long as those 5 players leave, until Christmas.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:51 pm
Really disappointed after the Liverpool defeat. It seems the payers have done for Arteta, what they did for Emery. I think it is simple now. Five players need to go in the summer. Pepe, Aubameyang, Xhaka, Bellerin and Lacazette. The common theme in letting the club down during wenger's last season, emery's entire tenure and Arteta's so far.

It was no surprise when he went with the academy players we did much better. They want to play for The Arsenal. Whilst it is obvious Odegaard is a quality player, he won't stay when Champions League clubs come knocking. ESR is a more than adequate no.10 and should've been chosen ahead of Odegaard when fit to play.

We do have AMN, Willock, Saliba, Medley and Guendouzi all to return from successful loan spells. I'd still keep Arteta as long as those 5 players leave, until Christmas.
Willian needs to go. Ceballos needs to be returned. And Leno needs replacing as #1. All mistakes by Captain Black.

I think Smith Rowe has been more effective in #10 role than Odegaard. Another puzzling decision by Captain Black to bring in a player where Arsenal already have top quality when defenders are what is needed.

But also to damn Captain Black, how can Martinelli not be playing ahead of Pepe, Willian, Aubamayang and Lackofgoals?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

arrgee wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:58 pm
Nos89 wrote:

Willian needs to go. Ceballos needs to be returned. And Leno needs replacing as #1. All mistakes by Captain Black.

I think Smith Rowe has been more effective in #10 role than Odegaard. Another puzzling decision by Captain Black to bring in a player where Arsenal already have top quality when defenders are what is needed.

But also to damn Captain Black, how can Martinelli not be playing ahead of Pepe, Willian, Aubamayang and Lackofgoals?
The list of mistakes from El Beige goes on - 70 plus games and only picked the same team consecutively on one occasion. An absolute lottery as to who his preferred CB partnership is. One minute it looks like Holding is his man.......then Gabriel......then Mari......then Sideshow.....all i know is rotating them all constantly is not helping any of them individually, or adding any stability to the defence. They looked like strangers against Liverpool. Perhaps he should consult GG or any of his famous back line as to how many hours of defensive work went in on the training ground, and how the same players played 50 games per season to build the world's best defence......just a thought

Not signing any cover for Tierney, and having no other natural left back so playing Cedric there most likely for the rest of the season. This is Arsenal fucking Football Club and we have Southampton's reserve right back, playing left back between now and the end of the season. They knew we needed cover there when the Bosnian lump went - talk about Van Aalholt or Bertrand......what the fuck happened there? Hardly 'bad luck' is it - much as we all love the bloke he's probably missed 50% of our games with injury since the day he joined. Just amateur hour, it really is

I said at the start of the season he'd left us with the least creative midfield I'd ever seen, and it shows in our play and our results. Pre-Christmas only Burnley had fewer shots.....yes, we had less than fucking Sheffield United and West Brom. That's the 'improvement' this goon has served up

All this shit has happened on his watch, and continues to happen on his watch

As far out of his depth as I've seen any PL manager in history - and still it goes on

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

i agree with that - my biggest criticism of Arteta is his failure to sort out the defence which there were reasons to suggest that he was addressing.
Up until quite recently and despite the poor season we had the 2nd or 3rd best defence in the Premier League. It is now only 7th best and is no better than it has ever been.

The constant changing of the backline has been unacceptable - he has got to stick to a centre back pairing otherwise we will not get anywhere.
How good/bad is Leno ? We don't really know because of the changes in front of him.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Arteta talking about Martinelli....

“Don’t forget we played him. Last time against Manchester United he started ahead of other players. So it’s not that he’s not having the opportunities.”

He was working his bollox off defending in that first half, had little opportunity to show much going forward as Utd had us on the back foot...

Seem to remember ESR only got game time through injuries to others

Hes another EGO mad fucker who must be proved right no matter how many times it goes wrong

learning his trade at Arsenal....fucking Wimbledon is more his mark
Last edited by Redarmy on Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:43 pm
i agree with that - my biggest criticism of Arteta is his failure to sort out the defence which there were reasons to suggest that he was addressing.
Up until quite recently and despite the poor season we had the 2nd or 3rd best defence in the Premier League. It is now only 7th best and is no better than it has ever been.

The constant changing of the backline has been unacceptable - he has got to stick to a centre back pairing otherwise we will not get anywhere.
How good/bad is Leno ? We don't really know because of the changes in front of him.
Thought Garielle and Mari would improve things....but Garielles form after starting OK has fallen off a cliff

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

arrgee wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:58 pm
Nos89 wrote:

Think you are right about ESR, we played our best stuff when he was in the team, really liked his passing and movement