Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

DB10GOONER

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by DB10GOONER »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:50 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:40 am
You have to question Martinez-Lite's ability to judge a player. Saliba is in the French media claiming Gibb-Lite told him he is "not ready" for the PL. But apparently Linda Zoolander and fucking Xhakatard are? :shock: :roll:
I reckon Mr Saliba has a bit more to worry about right now than Gibb-Lite with the recent revelations and video evidence released :wink:
:lol:

It appears that he somehow ended up in a rugby changing room..... :lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:11 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:50 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:40 am
You have to question Martinez-Lite's ability to judge a player. Saliba is in the French media claiming Gibb-Lite told him he is "not ready" for the PL. But apparently Linda Zoolander and fucking Xhakatard are? :shock: :roll:
I reckon Mr Saliba has a bit more to worry about right now than Gibb-Lite with the recent revelations and video evidence released :wink:

I seen comments on football london yesterday where some w.ankers were posting comments about saliba like "get out of my club" and that he should be sold over this incident, and I thought really ?? A few years back we had a captain that was legless drunk and crashed his car and was banged up over it - that was a far more serious incident cos he could have killed someone, but we absolutely stood alongside him with absolute loyalty. Saliba hasnt endangered anyone's life and (if my info is right) was merely seen laughing as one of his team-mates was w.anking off - the real concern should be if the player concerned was "so excited" at seeing saliba that he had no choice but to jerk off :lol: :lol:
These are young kids making stupid young kid mistakes - he needs to be educated not castigated by w.anker fans (not you muzz btw)
Oh ffs augster. Every time some cùnt criticizes a modern snowflake player some other cùnt (that's you in this case) throws Tony fucking Adams at them. :roll:

Ffs EVERYBODY was drink driving back then! Footballers. Actors. The Queen. The Pope. Everybody.

Fake news. Move on. :banghead:

:D :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

I'm standing up for TA6 - the man was my idol and he made a stupid young mistake like most stupid young people do. My point wasnt slating TA6, but more of a let's take things in context before we throw a mickey fit over the saliba story

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:13 pm
I'm standing up for TA6 - the man was my idol and he made a stupid young mistake like most stupid young people do. My point wasnt slating TA6, but more of a let's take things in context before we throw a mickey fit over the saliba story
Fake. News. :x

:lol:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Glad he's spoken out and confirmed what we all knew. He didn't fit in from the minute Arteta was appointed and he'd made his mind up after 2 games. Meanwhile Ballerina and Willian are allowed dozens of games as senior players without any consequence of their shiteness

Every day is becoming like the last 8-9 years of Wenger for me. I just count the time till the whole experiment is over - every day without the change is a wasted one and another step backwards

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

The whole saliba and guendouzi saga highlights the problems there is with a young rookie manager. I cannot imagine a young player starting out in their professional football would speak out about a manager like ancellotti, rodgers, or klopp because they didn't feel like they got an opportunity. So, if saliba was loaned out by guardiola after being watched for 2 matches, would he speak out and criticise him? I doubt it very much.
It shows the lack of respect they both have towards arteta.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:47 pm
The whole saliba and guendouzi saga highlights the problems there is with a young rookie manager. I cannot imagine a young player starting out in their professional football would speak out about a manager like ancellotti, rodgers, or klopp because they didn't feel like they got an opportunity. So, if saliba was loaned out by guardiola after being watched for 2 matches, would he speak out and criticise him? I doubt it very much.

Respect is earned - one wasnt even registered by the manager to play a game for the club, and the second one was demoted to the bench behind a guy who wanted out and was hated by 99% of Gooners everywhere. How much respect would any player, young or old, have for a manager in those situations ? A senior player MIGHT bite his tongue and walk away keeping his anger and resentment to himself, but 99% of young players would let fly at the manager because by their very nature young people are rash. That's not me defending either of them btw, and is more a case of me explaining their reactions - I still hope that both will return and be a part of the clubs future, but that is unlikely to happen as long as the cone boy is still in charge, and is even less likely if they publicly slate him

shu

Post by shu »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:39 pm
Glad he's spoken out and confirmed what we all knew. He didn't fit in from the minute Arteta was appointed and he'd made his mind up after 2 games. Meanwhile Ballerina and Willian are allowed dozens of games as senior players without any consequence of their shiteness

Every day is becoming like the last 8-9 years of Wenger for me. I just count the time till the whole experiment is over - every day without the change is a wasted one and another step backwards
Unfortunately that’s how I see it too, waiting for him to go .
Btw can you imagine going into Augies green grocers , he would be standing staring willing you to dare to steal a apple :D

Wengerballs

Post by Wengerballs »

He needs to fkn dump Nketiah and give Balogun a go.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:57 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:47 pm

Respect is earned - one wasnt even registered by the manager to play a game for the club, and the second one was demoted to the bench behind a guy who wanted out and was hated by 99% of Gooners everywhere. How much respect would any player, young or old, have for a manager in those situations ? A senior player MIGHT bite his tongue and walk away keeping his anger and resentment to himself, but 99% of young players would let fly at the manager because by their very nature young people are rash. That's not me defending either of them btw, and is more a case of me explaining their reactions - I still hope that both will return and be a part of the clubs future, but that is unlikely to happen as long as the cone boy is still in charge, and is even less likely if they publicly slate him
Throw Balogun into that mix too - comes on in a couple of EL games, notches and looks the business and then finds himself consistently demoted behind Nketiah who has shown nothing. All very well, the social media warriors all imploring him to sign a new contract, but why should he? He's not at Man City behind a ton of world class players. He's playing for a mid table team with an abysmal goalscoring record watching Eddie Nketiah get knocked about for fun.

Sadly I think Martinelli is going to become another marginalised figure at the club too

As I said, every week of this ludicrous experiment is a wasted one where we fall further behind the pace but the board are equally inept and believe they've got the right man

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:22 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:05 pm
Wengerballs wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:34 pm
“It is very hard to stop but I wanted to leave it. I wanted to decide, and I thought for the last few months that I wasn't good enough to represent this club on the pitch,” Arteta said. “You have to accept it. It has been a long time for me to be playing football and I didn't want to cheat them or anyone.16/05/2016

Arteta on finishing as a player. Must be thinking the same now about his rookie managerial apprenticeship.

Why would he be thinking that ? It's not his fault - it's the players fault, or the referee's fault, or guendouzi's fault, or emery's fault ....... anyone bar his own absolute incompetence :roll:
Um Augie,not everything is Arteta's fault no matter how crap he is, he didn't get Luiz and Leno sent off against Wolves, they themselves and the Ref managed that, the dodgy passback from Cedric and Gabriel navel gazing was their own fault against Villa.

You can blame Arteta for the tactics, the idiotic substitutions, selecting Xhaka and Willian and ignoring Martinell but some things the players have to take responsibility for too.
Yes, the players have to take responsibility for on-field discipline, but good managers hold them accountable. Arsenal's greatest manager by a country mile was Herbert Chapman. By 1933 he had turned Arsenal into the best club in England, on their way to the first of three successive league titles. In the FA Cup 3rd round, he rested a few of his leading players against third division Walsall. His captain and left-back, Eddie Hapgood, was out injured. His replacement, Tommy Black, committed several bad fouls then gave away a needless penalty with a clumsy challenge which led to Walsall's second goal in a shock 2-0 win. This result was a seismic shock in the way a defeat by a latter-day Wenger or Arteta team against similar opposition would not have been.

On the train home, Chapman sent word to Black to never set foot in Highbury or the training ground again. He was sold to Plymouth within a week.

Sideshow Bob and Xhaka are repeat offenders who - when I last checked - Arteta has allowed to continue stinking the place out.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

I'll just put this here and then go and hide. :lol:

The Independent report David Luiz is set to be offered another contract extension at #Arsenal, as Mikel Arteta greatly values his influence on his young team. https://t.co/bBzGDJp3NB

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:37 pm
I'll just put this here and then go and hide. :lol:

The Independent report David Luiz is set to be offered another contract extension at #Arsenal, as Mikel Arteta greatly values his influence on his young team. https://t.co/bBzGDJp3NB
I actually don't have a problem with him staying as long as he's on the bottom rung of the selection ladder.

Carabao Cup and crappy Europa League ties only at the most.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

If Arteta keeps making Bad decisions he will eventually lose the fans.....There are plenty of disgruntled Gooners on various social media outlets already calling for him to go.

His substitutions are proving hard to comprehend and his continued selection of the likes of willian, side-show bob & xhaka etc instead of giving other up -n- coming youngsters a chance to prove themselves (Balogun and Martinelli are prime examples).

He will not last long.

He has some skills as a coach, but is he Manager material??? :?

Sadly I am beginning to have my doubts, especially with tight-wad Kroenke & son running the club, they will not spend the money needed to bring in a Top manager.