Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

marka123

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by marka123 »

He will never convince me he's the right man for the job as long as he continually picks Xhakatard. And it doesn't help with fans like this

https://twitter.com/DammitArsenal/statu ... 4776400899

'Dominating the game' !! Jesus wept!! :banghead:

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:55 am
My view on Arteta is that he seems to be developing that knack that Wenger had in his later years - that of being able to get a result when he really needed it.

Let’s face it the last 2 games were must wins - somehow we won both, and I remain in support of him for now

Stop - you want him beheaded during last thursday nights game :lol: :lol: :lol:

marka123

Post by marka123 »

marka123 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:31 pm
He will never convince me he's the right man for the job as long as he continually picks Xhakatard. And it doesn't help with fans like this

One more example of the type of supporter we attract these days

https://twitter.com/MrJasonAlex/status/ ... 2059830272

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

marka123 wrote:

Jesus. Those tweets are embarrassing. The kind of delusional uninformed nonsense only children and modern JCL superfans can come up with. :oops:

Agreed 100% on not taking him seriously whilst he continually picks Xhakatard. And Linda. :x

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Football London understands that the Arsenal ownership have full faith in Mikel Arteta & backed him to complete a ‘cultural overhaul’ at the club which included a number of first team players leaving in January & the summer. [@ChrisWheatley_] #afc
With further changes expected on the playing staff side this summer & a clear appetite to bring in more of his own players, Arteta’s time in north London won’t be coming to an end anytime soon. [@ChrisWheatley_] #afc

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

gooner265 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:11 am
Football London understands that the Arsenal ownership have full faith in Mikel Arteta & backed him to complete a ‘cultural overhaul’ at the club which included a number of first team players leaving in January & the summer. [@ChrisWheatley_] #afc
With further changes expected on the playing staff side this summer & a clear appetite to bring in more of his own players, Arteta’s time in north London won’t be coming to an end anytime soon. [@ChrisWheatley_] #afc
Way to cheer us all up you miserable bugger, ever thought of being a funeral director :rubchin: :roll: :wink:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:23 pm
marka123 wrote:

Jesus. Those tweets are embarrassing. The kind of delusional uninformed nonsense only children and modern JCL superfans can come up with. :oops:

Agreed 100% on not taking him seriously whilst he continually picks Xhakatard. And Linda. :x
Thing is though, if you’re strongly against Arteta picking Xhaka, then that leaves us with Elneny and Ceballos because Partey is never fit :oops:

Honestly, as much as I want Xhaka out of the team, I can totally understand why he plays most games given our other options, even if this emoji sums up my feelings on our midfield options... :hammer:

By the way, brace yourself for xhaka staying long term. There’s so much uncertainty over the futures of Ceballos, Elneny, Guendouzi, Torreira and Willock, that it’s almost guaranteed Xhaka is staying put! :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

g88ner wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:34 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
marka123 wrote:

Thing is though, if you’re strongly against Arteta picking Xhaka, then that leaves us with Elneny and Ceballos because Partey is never fit :oops:

Honestly, as much as I want Xhaka out of the team, I can totally understand why he plays most games given our other options, even if this emoji sums up my feelings on our midfield options... :hammer:

By the way, brace yourself for xhaka staying long term. There’s so much uncertainty over the futures of Ceballos, Elneny, Guendouzi, Torreira and Willock, that it’s almost guaranteed Xhaka is staying put! :lol:
I am not taking the piss or being facetious here in any way g88ner when I say I would play anyone else in there ahead of Xhakatard. He contributes so little of worth and so much poor quality decision making, ineptitude, unforced errors and outright stupidity that any of Ceballos, Elneny, Guendouzi, Torreira and even Willock are better options.

He's a childish selfish moron. How many times has he been booked for stupid unnecessary fouls and sent off for reacting to an oppo player, thinking only of himself. His slow walk off the pitch when subbed at Palace while we were desperately chasing the game and his reaction to the resultant jeering said everything about this mong. The one thing I can never forgive Dick for is not sacking the wànker the next morning and then bringing him back into the team.

And now apparently he's a victim of racism. Only in the modern world of football could a privileged spoiled rich white guy present himself as a victim.

But worse than his character defects off the pitch, Xhakatard is the ultimate bluffer on the pitch. He takes no responsibility to create real opportunity for team mates, nearly always choosing the cowards option of passing sideways or backwards even when under no pressure - the odd time he does try to create something going forward he almost always pisses possession away - again, often under no pressure.

He's an expert bluffer at the Comedy Iwobi art of lazily arriving back into a defensive position after it's too late or the danger has passed, bending over and grabbing his knees and looking exhausted, for all the world a man that just busted a gut to get back.

He's a pointer too. Watch him walking around taking no responsibility on the ball but constantly pointing to where his team mates should pass. That is the ultimate "midfield general" bluffer. It gives the impression he's a leader. He's not. A leader takes responsibility and leads by example. This fucking mutt hides out there.

Sorry about the novel there g88ner mate but I hate this cowardly useless piece of shit almost more than I've ever hated any player in our Jersey (on a par with Cashley and VanJudas and Fat Santos) but at least Cashley and VanJudas, while being cùnts, were proper ballers.

It worries me that either Martinez-Lite cannot see what Xhakatard really is, or that Martinez-Lite is just being a stubborn egotist and digging his heels in Wenger-style by continually starting our actual worst player in a generation. Either scenario really do not bode well for the future of this club. :|

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:59 am

He's an expert bluffer at the Comedy Iwobi art of lazily arriving back into a defensive position after it's too late or the danger has passed, bending over and grabbing his knees and looking exhausted, for all the world a man that just busted a gut to get back.

He's a pointer too. Watch him walking around taking no responsibility on the ball but constantly pointing to where his team mates should pass. That is the ultimate "midfield general" bluffer. It gives the impression he's a leader. He's not. A leader takes responsibility and leads by example. This fucking mutt hides out there.
Great post mate and hard to disagree 8)

However I’m uncomfortable with the bit you wrote above... you’re basically describing my 5-aside performance last night. I was knackered :oops: :oops:

Right, I’ll try harder on Wednesday :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

g88ner wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:45 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

However I’m uncomfortable with the bit you wrote above... you’re basically describing my 5-aside performance last night. I was knackered :oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol:

We've all had one or two of those games! :barscarf: augie has had literally dozens. :wink:

But a professional player getting paid north of 100k a week carrying on like that?! :shock:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:12 am
g88ner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

We've all had one or two of those games! :barscarf: augie has had literally dozens. :wink:

But a professional player getting paid north of 100k a week carrying on like that?! :shock:
WTF? Xhaka gets paid to play? I pay £10 for 2 hours :x

marka123

Post by marka123 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
g88ner wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:34 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
marka123 wrote:

I am not taking the piss or being facetious here in any way g88ner when I say I would play anyone else in there ahead of Xhakatard. He contributes so little of worth and so much poor quality decision making, ineptitude, unforced errors and outright stupidity that any of Ceballos, Elneny, Guendouzi, Torreira and even Willock are better options.

He's a childish selfish moron. How many times has he been booked for stupid unnecessary fouls and sent off for reacting to an oppo player, thinking only of himself. His slow walk off the pitch when subbed at Palace while we were desperately chasing the game and his reaction to the resultant jeering said everything about this mong. The one thing I can never forgive Dick for is not sacking the wànker the next morning and then bringing him back into the team.

And now apparently he's a victim of racism. Only in the modern world of football could a privileged spoiled rich white guy present himself as a victim.

But worse than his character defects off the pitch, Xhakatard is the ultimate bluffer on the pitch. He takes no responsibility to create real opportunity for team mates, nearly always choosing the cowards option of passing sideways or backwards even when under no pressure - the odd time he does try to create something going forward he almost always pisses possession away - again, often under no pressure.

Sorry about the novel there g88ner mate but I hate this cowardly useless piece of shit almost more than I've ever hated any player in our Jersey (on a par with Cashley and VanJudas and Fat Santos) but at least Cashley and VanJudas, while being cùnts, were proper ballers.

It worries me that either Martinez-Lite cannot see what Xhakatard really is, or that Martinez-Lite is just being a stubborn egotist and digging his heels in Wenger-style by continually starting our actual worst player in a generation. Either scenario really do not bode well for the future of this club. :|
100% bang on the money, I've supported the club since 1978 and he is my most hated player in all that time, a complete imposter of a footballer.

Also agree about other baffling Arteta decisions i.e. Bellerin, Willian and, particularly, the freezing out of Martinelli which undoubtedly will come back and bite us badly when another club comes in for him.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:15 am
gooner265 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:11 am
Way to cheer us all up you miserable bugger, ever thought of being a funeral director :rubchin: :roll: :wink:
🤣🤣, that depends on your point of view

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
g88ner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

And that number was (prior to lockdowns) climbing at a rate of knots :oops: :oops:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:48 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
g88ner wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

And that number was (prior to lockdowns) climbing at a rate of knots :oops: :oops:
You are just getting older buddy. Happens to us all. But as my mate Paulo said after being forced out of our Thursday night indoor game with a fucked ACL at the age of only 26 "never stop playing - it is death". :wink: