Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

IW8Goalmachine

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:38 pm
We have nothing to lose. We can't qualify for Europe through the PL and we can't get relegated.

If I was Arteta right now I'd drop Xhakatard, Sideshow Chav, Kalamitysnatch, Mustafalaugh and Bellend for the rest of the season. Cup included.

I'd turn to the kids and say right go out there and fucking impress me, show me what you can do, earn the shirt.

But then I've always been known for my massive balls. 8)

:wink:

One exception. I'd give Hillier Mk2 away to anyone that would take him (cough cough wink wink Palace) because he is the most useless kid I've ever seen in our famous jersey.
A quick handy will sort that out for you.

Where's rodders when you need him?
Last edited by IW8Goalmachine on Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:53 pm

Personally I would scrap the back 3 and go with a back 4 with sokratis and holding as the 2 centre backs

Rearranging the deck chairs ? Maybe so, but the way the numpty currently has them is NOT WORKING - what have we got to lose at this stage ? I really bought into the way emery was getting shot of the older shittier players and replacing them with younger hungrier players ? Maybe some of them wont turn out to be good enough for us, but surely it makes sense to play them now and see if they are good enough, instead of persisting with shit that we know isnt good enough ?? I would much rather take a 5-0 licking against the murdering scouse scum with torreira, guendouzi, holding and saka in the team, than to lose 2 or 3 nil with a team containing xhaka, mustafi and kolasniac

Btw I only advocated dropping auba IF his work-rate doesnt improve when I would put him in the number 9 strikers role - I continue to be pissed off with him being marooned on the wing, and tbh my own preference with be a 2 man strike force with him and laca
Sokratis has been shocking this season though so I can’t say I’m overly keen to see him back in the side either! Absence makes players seem better than they really are I guess.

Holding was our best defender before his injury and that was mainly on the left of a three so god knows how he can’t get in ahead of kolasinac. Hopefully now Arteta will change it!

I can see why he’s gone with a back 3 so I’d go with Holding, Luiz :( and Mustafi :banghead: and we’d ship loads of goals anyway.

I can also see why he picks Xakha. Guendouzi doesn’t offer much and Torreira is usually injured or unfit for some reason. I think he’s homesick and wants out.

Oh well, we’re a mess. Emery found that out and so has Freddie and Arteta. Players change but results (and errors) remain the same. That’s why I said rearranging the deck chairs and Arteta will get criticised no matter who he picks as results won’t improve without an overhaul and I wouldn’t hold my breath on that happening either :/

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

g88ner wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:43 pm
Bob Bayliss wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:11 pm
Who is Hillier mark 2? Willock or Nelson? Possibly both!
I like Willock but I’d loan him out along with Nelson. Bring Smith-Rowe back into the squad though!
Watched Smith Rowe the other night and he is wasted at Huddersfield. Continually took up good positions and ignored. There was one magical moment in the second half where he sent two Luton players the wrong way, landing one on his ar$e. However he screwed the shot just wide. Was capable on the left and right unlike the lesser spotted one footed Pépé. His running with the ball is awesome, but sadly his crosses were a little over hit. Very willing to close down defenders on the ball as well. Would dovetail well with PEA and Martinelli given the chance.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:11 pm
Who is Hillier mark 2? Willock or Nelson? Possibly both!
:lol:

Willock. He is just anonymous on the pitch. The game passes him by much like it did Hillier. Hopefully Willock won't end up half inching luggage though. :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:53 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:38 pm
We have nothing to lose. We can't qualify for Europe through the PL and we can't get relegated.

If I was Arteta right now I'd drop Xhakatard, Sideshow Chav, Kalamitysnatch, Mustafalaugh and Bellend for the rest of the season. Cup included.

I'd turn to the kids and say right go out there and fucking impress me, show me what you can do, earn the shirt.

But then I've always been known for my massive balls. 8)

:wink:

One exception. I'd give Hillier Mk2 away to anyone that would take him (cough cough wink wink Palace) because he is the most useless kid I've ever seen in our famous jersey.
A quick handy will sort that out for you.

Where's rodders when you need him?
:lol: :lol:

He'll be pm'ing me any second now! :D :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

g88ner wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:55 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:53 pm

Personally I would scrap the back 3 and go with a back 4 with sokratis and holding as the 2 centre backs

Rearranging the deck chairs ? Maybe so, but the way the numpty currently has them is NOT WORKING - what have we got to lose at this stage ? I really bought into the way emery was getting shot of the older shittier players and replacing them with younger hungrier players ? Maybe some of them wont turn out to be good enough for us, but surely it makes sense to play them now and see if they are good enough, instead of persisting with shit that we know isnt good enough ?? I would much rather take a 5-0 licking against the murdering scouse scum with torreira, guendouzi, holding and saka in the team, than to lose 2 or 3 nil with a team containing xhaka, mustafi and kolasniac

Btw I only advocated dropping auba IF his work-rate doesnt improve when I would put him in the number 9 strikers role - I continue to be pissed off with him being marooned on the wing, and tbh my own preference with be a 2 man strike force with him and laca
Sokratis has been shocking this season though so I can’t say I’m overly keen to see him back in the side either! Absence makes players seem better than they really are I guess.

Holding was our best defender before his injury and that was mainly on the left of a three so god knows how he can’t get in ahead of kolasinac. Hopefully now Arteta will change it!

I can see why he’s gone with a back 3 so I’d go with Holding, Luiz :( and Mustafi :banghead: and we’d ship loads of goals anyway.

I can also see why he picks Xakha. Guendouzi doesn’t offer much and Torreira is usually injured or unfit for some reason. I think he’s homesick and wants out.

Oh well, we’re a mess. Emery found that out and so has Freddie and Arteta. Players change but results (and errors) remain the same. That’s why I said rearranging the deck chairs and Arteta will get criticised no matter who he picks as results won’t improve without an overhaul and I wouldn’t hold my breath on that happening either :/
Is it for a laugh? Because Xhakatard offers nothing in there. Cannot tackle, cannot pass, has no positional sense, is as thick as pigshit and is a total liability. It's for a laugh isn't it?

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:32 pm
Is it for a laugh? Because Xhakatard offers nothing in there. Cannot tackle, cannot pass, has no positional sense, is as thick as pigshit and is a total liability. It's for a laugh isn't it?
Haha that’s probably one of the reasons!

It’s weird isn’t it? Wenger played him, Arteta plays him and even Steveo’s beloved Emery played him... and made him captain!! :lol: explain that gem steveo!😂

I just think our options in midfield are so poor that I can understand why he’s selected. Hopefully Torreira can stay fit and get a few games under his belt alongside Ceballos because that is surely our best pairing at the moment.

As for Guendouzi, I’ve no issue with petulance at a young age. I do take issue with his lack of onfield contribution though. Take away the hair and I’m not sure he’s all that special 😬 cash in!

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Interesting comments from Arteta, throwing down the gauntlet to the owners. Can’t imagine Josh and Stan spending another £80m this summer.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... champions/

https://www.bt.com/sport/news/mikel-art ... turn-heads

“If I [the club] do want to invest and risk, and then I don’t reach it, what happens? So at some stage you have to make a decision, whether I want to aim to make that gap closer and go for it, or stay where I am.”

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

g88ner wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:55 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:32 pm
Haha that’s probably one of the reasons!

It’s weird isn’t it? Wenger played him, Arteta plays him and even Steveo’s beloved Emery played him... and made him captain!! :lol: explain that gem steveo!😂

I just think our options in midfield are so poor that I can understand why he’s selected. Hopefully Torreira can stay fit and get a few games under his belt alongside Ceballos because that is surely our best pairing at the moment.

As for Guendouzi, I’ve no issue with petulance at a young age. I do take issue with his lack of onfield contribution though. Take away the hair and I’m not sure he’s all that special 😬 cash in!
A very simple explanation as it goes. He put it to the players and they voted for him. Was probably the decision he made that I least agreed with. Not longer later he told the fans to fuck off, and he realised he had no future and had him lined up for a loan move in January. Thankfully God's gift to coaching drifted down upon a star and proved him wrong and reinstated him to the team as an ever present and we've never looked back

For the record I wanted Allegri, not Emery. Simeone would have been nice too

However if you gave me the choice between Emery and the man who borrows his mentor's jumper for work in the way I used to wear my Dad's shirt for painting at primary school then there's only one winner

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arteta on how much more harder Champions League qualification would be with each year out of the competition: "Harder & harder. If you aren't in [it] & you say: ‘ok I don’t invest because I dont have the financial ability to do it,’ but other clubs invest, the gap becomes bigger"

Arteta: If I do want to invest and risk, and then I don't reach it, what happens? So at some stage you have to make a decision, whether I want to aim to make that gap closer and go for it, or I stay where I am

Arteta: "We need to sit down & agree on the ambitions of the club, what direction we want to take & put a plan together to achieve those targets. The demands will be huge & thats never going to change because they are linked to the history & success of this club" #Arsenal

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:50 am
Arteta on how much more harder Champions League qualification would be with each year out of the competition: "Harder & harder. If you aren't in [it] & you say: ‘ok I don’t invest because I dont have the financial ability to do it,’ but other clubs invest, the gap becomes bigger"

Arteta: If I do want to invest and risk, and then I don't reach it, what happens? So at some stage you have to make a decision, whether I want to aim to make that gap closer and go for it, or I stay where I am

Arteta: "We need to sit down & agree on the ambitions of the club, what direction we want to take & put a plan together to achieve those targets. The demands will be huge & thats never going to change because they are linked to the history & success of this club" #Arsenal

Any man that thinks that mustafi and kolasniac are better centre backs than holding, and who thinks that xhaka is better than torreira and the douzi, and who thinks that nketieh is better than martinelli, should not be given as much as £1 to spend this summer :roll: Show me first that you recognise the shit that has to go, and when you get rid of them, then we will talk about giving you money to spend

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

mcdowell42 wrote:

So the super coach has worked out what a bunch of c.unts he works for, just like his predecessor had to. You've been dealt a shit hand that a vastly superior coach had to deal with lad, so off you go. Piece of piss finishing higher than 5th and getting to a cup final especially when you've worked for a bloke who has shown how to manage on a shoestring these past few years :D

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Ozil is ready. About fcuking time. Sicknote did this sh!t with Dick, hopefully Captain Black ain’t gonna let it happen, is he?

https://www.90min.com/posts/mesut-ozil- ... -liverpool

...taking to Twitter 24 hours ahead of kick-off against Liverpool, Ozil had a clear message for both his manager and Arsenal fans: “I AM READY.”

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:27 am
mcdowell42 wrote:

Any man that thinks that mustafi and kolasniac are better centre backs than holding, and who thinks that xhaka is better than torreira and the douzi, and who thinks that nketieh is better than martinelli, should not be given as much as £1 to spend this summer :roll: Show me first that you recognise the shit that has to go, and when you get rid of them, then we will talk about giving you money to spend

Hard to argue with any of that.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

arrgee wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:39 am
Ozil is ready. About fcuking time. Sicknote did this sh!t with Dick, hopefully Captain Black ain’t gonna let it happen, is he?

https://www.90min.com/posts/mesut-ozil- ... -liverpool

...taking to Twitter 24 hours ahead of kick-off against Liverpool, Ozil had a clear message for both his manager and Arsenal fans: “I AM READY.”

He's no doubt after a Wembley appearance. Fuck him.

One of the best examples of Wenger's toxic legacy. We've had no chance of getting shot of him with the huge salary he's on and even less chance with the final year of the contract upon us. He'll continue to sit tight, let the contract run down and then pick up a huge signing on fee with a Turkish club, as he leaves next summer on a free.

If it were up to me, I'd just accept the massive weekly financial loss, put it out of my head, forget he exists and let the fucker rot in the reserves for a year.