Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

rodders999

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by rodders999 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:12 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:08 pm
xisstential wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:42 pm
Why do Xhaka, and the club for that matter, think anybody is going to come back for him in the summer??
Just my opinion mind, but I reckon the Hertha Berlin transfer which was mooted for January has now already been agreed for the summer. I can't really see another explanation for such a turnaround and the Chambers injury is the reason why.

I think you may well be onto something there Rodders ole Chap.
Roddaz Knows 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

You Da Man Rodders! You Da Man...well you and Barry White. :wink:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:19 pm
If he's still here at the start of next season I shall be deactivating my account so it's a win win for you lot on here :barscarf:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

Whichever way it plays out, Berlin or not, he'll have to go in the summer, the fans will be ready to lynch him by then. Let's face it, he isn't going to get any better. So we can expect more lazy, indifferent, slipdshod performances which will incite the fans to demand that he goes.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:53 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
If he's still here at the start of next season I shall be deactivating my account so it's a win win for you lot on here :barscarf:
Barry White's on here? :shock: It's Jock isn't it? Fucking knew it. :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

xisstential wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:21 pm
Whichever way it plays out, Berlin or not, he'll have to go in the summer, the fans will be ready to lynch him by then. Let's face it, he isn't going to get any better. So we can expect more lazy, indifferent, slipdshod performances which will incite the fans to demand that he goes.
Absolutely. Odds on he'll have at least one crucial high profile fuck up that costs us a cup or a place in a final or something and there will be bedlam with the fans.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:10 pm
rodders999 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

You looking for some walrus luurve :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:33 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Hey once it's warm and wet in there I'm game. :D

And even if only one of those two conditions are met I'll give it a go. 8)

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:37 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:33 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Hey once it's warm and wet in there I'm game. :D

And even if only one of those two conditions are met I'll give it a go. 8)

Well that was never in any doubt was it :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:08 pm
xisstential wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:42 pm
Why do Xhaka, and the club for that matter, think anybody is going to come back for him in the summer??
Just my opinion mind, but I reckon the Hertha Berlin transfer which was mooted for January has now already been agreed for the summer. I can't really see another explanation for such a turnaround and the Chambers injury is the reason why.

Hertha berlin are struggling NOW and are trying to bring in players as a result - they know that a struggling team wont entice too many players to join them, so they probably looked at xhaka's situation and figured that it would be easy to prise him out of our club. In the summer they will likely have better targets

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

I dunno if anyone saw Fridays training pics - Arteta is making the players carry out their own training kit.

Then this was snapped earlier of the team arriving :

Part of Artetas new ethos ?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Hopefully reality has bitten a few - there's ZERO improvement under this manager. He can't work miracles. He has a group of 'comfort zone' losers who don't know what hard work is. Hopefully there's enough points to stave off relegation

Terrible attitude, terrible slow football - could have been watching any away game from the past 5 years or so

Hated every minute of it - boring, sterile football. Like watching an England friendly from 10 years ago

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Ancelotti - 9 points from a possible 12. One defeat being 2-1 at Man City

Arteta - 5 points from a possible 12. Draws against Bournemouth and Palace Reserves

I suppose Everton have better players available lol

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

I take the point that it is too way early to judge Arteta based on the evidence so far. Those defenders aren't suddenly going to be better players.

But the same applies to people suggesting he should be given credit for flickers of improvement that we may have seen. For example, a dog-shit performance in the first half against Leeds and in the second against Chelsea is spun into evidence that the new coach is making a difference because the other halves of those games weren't dog-shit. If our first-half performance against Palace had come after half-time no doubt Teflon Tets would have been given a lot of credit for turning this game round too.

So here's the deal. If people stop suggesting he is this inspiring coach who is turning us round every time we do ok for a game or two, I will bite my tongue about my reservations with him being the calibre of manager we should be appointing.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Emery's league record this season - Played 13 Won 4 Drawn 6 Lost 3 - Scored 18 Conceded 19, Points 18

So, we averaged 1.38 points per game, average goals scored 1.38 per game, average goals conceded 1.46 per game

Record since Emery's departure - Played 9 Won 2 Drawn 4 Lost 3 - Scored 11 Conceded 12, Points 10

So we average 1.11 points per game, average goals scored 1.22 per game, average goals conceded 1.33

So we've conceded slightly fewer on average, but have a worse win ratio, fewer points per game, and poorer in front of goal

There's been 9 games since he left, so 4 more before there have been as many since he was in charge as before. If 13 was enough to judge him, 5 was too many for Freddie then how many are we allowed before we can judge Arteta?