Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

Gunner Rob

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by Gunner Rob »

I’m prepared to give Arteta until the end of the season - I think he deserves that, but the results need to start improving fast.

If he keeps picking Willian though he deserves all the abuse coming his way.

augie

Post by augie »

Arteta has criticised the players saying that they are making too many mistakes to be a top 4 team - this from the guy who continually picks b ellend, xhaka and willian ?? Sure fire way to lose the players - I call it the moaninho directive where you blame the players publicly to deflect from your own shortcomings :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:15 pm
Roberto Martinez-lite isn't going to make us any better than we are now. No matter how many times we pick up the odd result, the lack of experiences shines through.

If we go 1-0 down in games, we're fucked.
Firstly, love the Martinez-Lite reference. Superb. :lol: 8)

Secondly, you are 100% correct.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:50 am
Arteta has criticised the players saying that they are making too many mistakes to be a top 4 team - this from the guy who continually picks b ellend, xhaka and willian ?? Sure fire way to lose the players - I call it the moaninho directive where you blame the players publicly to deflect from your own shortcomings :roll:
Really stupid thing for him to do. Modern snowflake players do not respond well to criticism.

Was watching some Saturday morning football show presented by Ian Stone (commedian and Gooner) and someone on it made that comparison of old Moron-hio getting the best out of his first chav team by calling them shit to their faces and provoking a reaction. Now at the scum he has tried the same thing and failed miserably because the snowflakes don't like to be told the truth and don't react like the players of old.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:24 am
Nos89 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:25 pm
SteveO the lowering of standards began in the summer of 2006.
We have a significantly better squad now than anytime between 2008-2015. It's been a steady decline.
It simply highlights the quality of the manager in charge and the mentality of players at the club. It's interesting on Walcott's recent reflection on players accepting 4th was enough.
Arteta has been schooled by a manager who doesn't accept anything less than being top.
The kroenkes have overseen that decline, and accepted it, which is totally unacceptable to me. That's killed the club mentality, and probably why they keep our champion winning ex-players away. Freddie has that mentality and wasn't given the opportunity because he could not accept the attitude and acceptance of our current position. Tierney has that champion winning mentality. Luiz has that mentality too, and I think he'll become an excellent coach.
Arteta's biggest challenge is changing that attitude around the club, and he needs more people around him with that way of thinking. Currently, he is losing that battle with the players.
Can't disagree with that - the pathetic, lily livered sale of Ashley Cole for cry baby Gallas + £5m was the perfect signal for every team that they could pull our pants down and nick our best players and it carried on for years to come. I could kind of get it for a few years after the stadium move, especially as Chelsea and then City were throwing around the kind of dosh we'd never seen before. However, it has been plain to see for at least the second part of Kroenke's era that the balance sheet has been in good nick - they've made millions from property, the stadium debt was minimal and we had year after year of Champions League income. Through a complete lack of ambition we allowed clubs like Liverpool, Spurs and Leicester to overtake us, when they had absolutely zero financial advantage - unforgiveable.

Arteta even sounded like Wenger yesterday - apparently, we dominated the game in every department. Well actually mate we had 3 shots on target and they had 8, and from where I was sitting they looked much more like scoring on the break than we did playing our 1930s tip tap. Xhaka's free kick was the only heart stopping moment Martinez had. Wenger used to come out with this cobblers when we had 66% possession, but if you've got players like Bellerin, Pepe and others who can't cross to save their lives and spunk key positions, then the stat is absolutely worthless.

I haven't heard Walcott's comments, but it's plain for all to see that the top 4 became the sole extent of the club's ambition for a decade and the scenes of joy at Newcastle when we celebrated 4th like we'd won the league was as embarrassing as it gets.

Appointing a novice with no managerial experience is just the latest in the Kroenke list of failures. Take Everton and their new owners. Duncan Ferguson actually did a bloody decent job as caretaker and was a club legend.......did they take the easy path and appoint him? Did they fuck - they appointed a bloke who has won everything in the game and probably paying him 5x what Ferguson would have demanded. Look at the two clubs now......
Agree with that, especially that last paragraph. Still think someone switched the name of the club's on those contracts at Goodison Park that weekend. Ancellotti looked miffed he was accidentally tricked into signing for Everton.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Maybe he's saw something not right in the head of William Saliba, and decided he needed to grow up a bit.

By the looks of that Twitter video, it seems it hasn't worked and I doubt we'll be seeing him in an Arsenal shirt ever!🤷

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:50 am
I hate Maureen with every bone in my body and I hate the way he publically throws his players under the bus......but I'll say this for him.....he is brave enough to hook them at half time (or earlier) if they're not doing it, and he'll also banish them to the stiffs regardless of their popularity e.g. Dele Alli.

Like you say, we blame the mistakes they're making but what gets done about it. Bellerin can't defend to save his life, can't tackle, can't cross a ball and is consistently out of positon - he's a regular. Nothing done in the window to make him think about it, makes all these mistakes and will be in the first team every week. Aurier had a stinker the other week and was out on his arse the next.

A young manager is so determined he's always right that he'll pick Willian every week. An experienced one recognises that its ok to make mistakes here and there, learns from them, bombs the c.unt out and replaces him with something better

And that in a nutshell is why this nonsensical 'experiment' of appointing a 37 year old rookie as manager of this great club was destined to fail from day 1, and is now even further away from working than it was to start with

Wengerballs

Post by Wengerballs »

“It is very hard to stop but I wanted to leave it. I wanted to decide, and I thought for the last few months that I wasn't good enough to represent this club on the pitch,” Arteta said. “You have to accept it. It has been a long time for me to be playing football and I didn't want to cheat them or anyone.16/05/2016

Arteta on finishing as a player. Must be thinking the same now about his rookie managerial apprenticeship.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

For me the key thing with Arteta is he doesnt learn from his mistakes and I wonder how much of that comes less from coaching under Pep and more from playing and Captaining under Wenger. He reminds me so much of Wenger, especially 2010 to 2018, incidently Arteta spent 5 years playing for Wenger during that time....

As SteveO pointed out completely ignoring the short comings of LB when Tierney is injury prone is exactly how Wenger was, never strengthening where it was needed and trying to convert or swap players positions to cover. Persisting with mediocre players like Xhaka and Willian and ignoring any criticism on it, again something Wenger was constantly guilty of, what immediately springs to mind is the season where Giroud went 15 games without scoring but was picked every match, that cost us badly that year because Ozil was on a blinder with assists.

We've nearly all said it that to appoint a complete novice manager to a team in turmoil and expect him to succeed was utterly naive, but was it, I'm a cynic but I am beginning to think it was deliberate act. Mid table is ideal for Wiggy, club not earning enough to require investing heavily but just enough to keep it ticking over whilst the rest of KSE's UK investment portfolio blossoms with a £2B asset as surety :rubchin:

augie

Post by augie »

Wengerballs wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:34 pm
“It is very hard to stop but I wanted to leave it. I wanted to decide, and I thought for the last few months that I wasn't good enough to represent this club on the pitch,” Arteta said. “You have to accept it. It has been a long time for me to be playing football and I didn't want to cheat them or anyone.16/05/2016

Arteta on finishing as a player. Must be thinking the same now about his rookie managerial apprenticeship.

Why would he be thinking that ? It's not his fault - it's the players fault, or the referee's fault, or guendouzi's fault, or emery's fault ....... anyone bar his own absolute incompetence :roll:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

augie wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:05 pm
Wengerballs wrote:

Why would he be thinking that ? It's not his fault - it's the players fault, or the referee's fault, or guendouzi's fault, or emery's fault ....... anyone bar his own absolute incompetence :roll:
Um Augie,not everything is Arteta's fault no matter how crap he is, he didn't get Luiz and Leno sent off against Wolves, they themselves and the Ref managed that, the dodgy passback from Cedric and Gabriel navel gazing was their own fault against Villa.

You can blame Arteta for the tactics, the idiotic substitutions, selecting Xhaka and Willian and ignoring Martinell but some things the players have to take responsibility for too.

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:22 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:05 pm
Wengerballs wrote:

Um Augie,not everything is Arteta's fault no matter how crap he is, he didn't get Luiz and Leno sent off against Wolves, they themselves and the Ref managed that, the dodgy passback from Cedric and Gabriel navel gazing was their own fault against Villa.

You can blame Arteta for the tactics, the idiotic substitutions, selecting Xhaka and Willian and ignoring Martinell but some things the players have to take responsibility for too.

And I agree with all of that buddy - my point was that to have the type of self analysis requires a person to be honest or at least capable of seeing his mistakes, and imo arteta has neither. For every aspect of any managers performance you can argue that there can be different viewpoints, but on willian there can be no different viewpoints - you will not find a fan or a media pundit/journalist anywhere that will argue for willian, but yet this clown continues to pick him over martinelli and that is an absolute fcuking disgrace.
Wenger letting gnarby go for a pack of crisps and a mars bar was woeful and that's a fact, but at least wenger could argue that gnarby had not produced anything at senior level at that point in time, but martinelli has done exceptionally well since he was brought into the first team by emery, and his treatment by arteta is a sackable offence right now.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

You have to question Martinez-Lite's ability to judge a player. Saliba is in the French media claiming Gibb-Lite told him he is "not ready" for the PL. But apparently Linda Zoolander and fucking Xhakatard are? :shock: :roll:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:40 am
You have to question Martinez-Lite's ability to judge a player. Saliba is in the French media claiming Gibb-Lite told him he is "not ready" for the PL. But apparently Linda Zoolander and fucking Xhakatard are? :shock: :roll:
I reckon Mr Saliba has a bit more to worry about right now than Gibb-Lite with the recent revelations and video evidence released :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:50 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:40 am
I reckon Mr Saliba has a bit more to worry about right now than Gibb-Lite with the recent revelations and video evidence released :wink:

I seen comments on football london yesterday where some w.ankers were posting comments about saliba like "get out of my club" and that he should be sold over this incident, and I thought really ?? A few years back we had a captain that was legless drunk and crashed his car and was banged up over it - that was a far more serious incident cos he could have killed someone, but we absolutely stood alongside him with absolute loyalty. Saliba hasnt endangered anyone's life and (if my info is right) was merely seen laughing as one of his team-mates was w.anking off - the real concern should be if the player concerned was "so excited" at seeing saliba that he had no choice but to jerk off :lol: :lol:
These are young kids making stupid young kid mistakes - he needs to be educated not castigated by w.anker fans (not you muzz btw)