Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

SteveO 35

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

Post by SteveO 35 »

I've read a few times that this is Arteta's 3rd transfer window and really important. Lets be clear - its his 4th transfer window !! He joined in December 2019, so has had two January windows already and the Summer just gone.....so when (and it will be when) he gets this coming Summer window he will have had one more window than the previous manager to address the shortcomings in the squad.

I argued with Emery that he needed four windows and if he'd fucked up that 4th window and we were going backwards, I would have joined the vast majority here in saying that was enough time to move on the Wenger deadwood and impose your own style with your own players.

Despite this supposed heroic transfer window where he was gifted the money to pay off Ozil, Sokratis and Mustafi, and loan out the fat Bosnian lump, we've still got a massively imbalanced squad. No cover for Tierney which means a right footer playing left back regularly, an absolutely unchallenged tart starting every game at RB, no partner of any quality for Partey, and inexplicably casting aside Martinelli and Balgoun to give us the variety of attacking options we need.

Wasn't it last week where he picked the same team for the first time in back to back games? We're 67 games into his tenure FFS, and we haven't got a clue how to resolve any of those issues above........

The last remaining defence of him is that supposedly we're much better organised defensively and more competitive in big games. Lets take the cups out of it, and examine the facts. What do you define as a big game? Liverpool, City, Man Ure, Spurs, Chavski - they are the big ones as far I can see. Well we've played seven games against them and taken seven points. In our first seven games against those teams two years ago we took eight points. Another absolute myth that we're doing so much better. Yes to the FA Cup, no to the league

There is no improvement. There won't be an improvement - whether its four, five, six or more transfer windows. The guy is trying to over complicate, over coach and is confusing players more than ever. He's the first manager who has managed to make Auba have half a shit season, which is saying something because the bloke is as good as anything in the division

augie

Post by augie »

This time last year some fans (including me) were very, very critical of arteta's constant picking of that swiss/albanian c.unt in midfield - we were told by the true believers ( :roll: ) that arteta was only picking him cos he had no other choice, and that when he got to the summer transfer window he would rectify that and xhaka would be no more. Fast forward on those 12 months and we are still in exactly the same place - yes he bought partey but everytime he has picked him, he has picked him to play alongside xhaka and not instead of him :roll: :evil: Because he disregarded/binned guendouzi and torreira, he is now left with the spanish ray wilkins and an egyptian that we couldnt give away, as the only competition for those spots.
We then brought in odegaard and one of the selling points in justifying that signing was that he can play in the 10, in the 8, or on the wing, and yet we have only seen him play in the 10 and that has seen one of our best players shunted out to the wing where he is 100% certain to be subbed in every game - I am a huge smith-rowe fan but no way would I pick him there ahead of martinelli cos it isnt his position and he doesnt have the pace to play there imo. You can make your own mind up here - we either have a manager who thinks that our centre midfield options are good enough and dont need strengthening, or he believes that we are weak in the number 10 position cos smith-rowe isnt good enough, and fixing that position should be a higher priority. No matter which way we look at it we have a manager that is blind/stupid and cannot judge or recognise what is wrong with this team and squad, and yet we are again at the point where some are making the argument that he should be given this summers transfer window to fix the problems - it is a deja vu thing and we will have the same issues next year cos xhaka will still be here as first choice, and bellend will be here as first choice unless he forces his way out. People want to delude themselves into believing in arteta's judgement then that is their choice, but personally I wouldnt allow him to spend one penny until he gets rid of the shite players in the team

augie

Post by augie »

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

augie wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:47 pm
There are no words

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/america ... d=msedgntp
Happy that his useless wee fartbox of a spanpish :oops: pal has been dug oot the tollies :roll: no mention of us the fans.. :roll: prick :roll: You can bet Getafe will be on the field again in Athens ready to fuck it up again though..and Martinelli won't get a sniff..

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I so want him to do well, but his constant playing of the drossshyte: clubfoot, Willian and Bellend and ignoring the likes of Martinelli and Balogun is mystifying. :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
There are no words

Yes there are:

Useless
Donkey
Cùnt
Managed
By
Another
Useless
Cùnt

Is that enough? :wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

falkirk goon wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:36 pm
augie wrote:
There are no words

Happy that his useless wee fartbox of a spanpish :oops: pal has been dug oot the tollies :roll: no mention of us the fans.. :roll: prick :roll: You can bet Getafe will be on the field again in Athens ready to fuck it up again though..and Martinelli won't get a sniff..
I swear I will never meet a man with a better way with words than Falkirk....

Wee fartbox of a spanpish pal

:D :D :D

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Ever see the film called Get Out?

I'm sure it's Wenger inside Arteta's body

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:54 pm
falkirk goon wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:36 pm
augie wrote:
There are no words

I swear I will never meet a man with a better way with words than Falkirk....

Wee fartbox of a spanpish pal

:D :D :D
:D

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Lets examine the signings that have been made since Arteta took over:

Mari - way too early to tell. Promising in spells but almost permanently injured
Cedric - the odd half decent game amongst a load of shite
Willian - need i say anything?
Gabriel - great early signs, absolutely shite since contracting COVID
Runarsson - not sure whose idea of a practical joke this was
Partey - maybe one day he'll play a couple of games in a row where he's match fit

Hardly a roll of honour is it?? And we're going to give this guy more time to add to the squad

Wenger used his last 10 years to take us back to the team we were before he joined - a UEFA Cup team having a dart at the cups and miles out of contention in the league

Emery sustained us as a UEFA Cup team

This bloke? He's turning us into the Everton of the last 25 years - a mid table team playing mostly sterile football.

augie

Post by augie »

:coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

Was just about to post that link - had to check the calendar to see if today is March 1st or April 1st - a transfer to rival that of alex mong to barca and would be a dream for me 8)

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:31 am

:coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

Was just about to post that link - had to check the calendar to see if today is March 1st or April 1st - a transfer to rival that of alex mong to barca and would be a dream for me 8)
I thought you’d like that! :lol:

Would be a strange year if Arteta and Bellerin ended up at Barca :lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

My view on Arteta is that he seems to be developing that knack that Wenger had in his later years - that of being able to get a result when he really needed it.

Let’s face it the last 2 games were must wins - somehow we won both, and I remain in support of him for now

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:55 am
My view on Arteta is that he seems to be developing that knack that Wenger had in his later years - that of being able to get a result when he really needed it.

Let’s face it the last 2 games were must wins - somehow we won both, and I remain in support of him for now
I know what you mean - however, I'm not sure any of these league games are 'must wins' now (unless you're of the lobotomy club who still think there's a chance of a top four finish :banghead: ). I'd say the Benfica result was a 'must win' to a degree - I'm sure it would have made little difference to his employment status, but I think more of the fans would have turned