Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

goonersid

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by goonersid »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:53 pm
He is a gutless appointment from a gutless club. A man who epitomises the second half of the Wenger era, a show pony with no track record of success. And anyone who dares to invoke George Graham as an example of an unexpected success in management should wash their mouths out. They are chalk and cheese. George was a winner as a player, and despite his languid demeanour he was always a tough competitor. He then cut his teeth in management at Millwall, taking on a tough apprenticeship in a leading role instead of getting splinters as a nodding nellie next to the manager of a world class team.
I’m guessing option 4 Bob ?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
He is a gutless appointment from a gutless club. A man who epitomises the second half of the Wenger era, a show pony with no track record of success. And anyone who dares to invoke George Graham as an example of an unexpected success in management should wash their mouths out. George was a winner as a player, and despite his languid demeanour he was always a tough competitor. He then cut his teeth in management at Millwall, taking on a tough apprenticeship in a leading role instead of getting splinters as a nodding nellie next to the manager of a world class team.
Pull your head in Bob you sound like a tramp ffs. :lol:

GG was a nobody manager when we signed him. Millwall? Whoopee fucking doo. The point is he came into a club in the dumps with no huge rep behind him and he sorted shit out. Hopefully Arteta can do the same. Did I tell you to pull your head in? Yep? Ok. Good. :lol:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

goonersid wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:57 pm
Bob Bayliss wrote:
He is a gutless appointment from a gutless club. A man who epitomises the second half of the Wenger era, a show pony with no track record of success. And anyone who dares to invoke George Graham as an example of an unexpected success in management should wash their mouths out. They are chalk and cheese. George was a winner as a player, and despite his languid demeanour he was always a tough competitor. He then cut his teeth in management at Millwall, taking on a tough apprenticeship in a leading role instead of getting splinters as a nodding nellie next to the manager of a world class team.
I’m guessing option 4 Bob ?
:lol:

You saved the thread there sid. You are still a cùnt, mind. :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Also, even though he is no one on here's first choice we should get behind him and support him until he proves he is not good enough. About February 2020 or so. :wink:

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Merry Christmas to you too, DB!

My point is that comparisons with GG are lazy and don't bear close scrutiny. To tell you the truth, I hadn't clocked that you'd done so when I posted...so don't take it personally. I just assumed that it wouldn't be long before someone did so.

The appointment is unimaginative and, in our current situation, unduly cautious. Time will tell whether I'm right.

All I would say is that the last time you and I disagreed about a manager's ability was about a year ago. I was lamenting that we had missed out on Klopp by clinging on to Wenger so long. If I remember rightly you called him a serial loser who would have done nothing more for us than Wenger could have done. So let's at least agree to reserve judgement on whether Arteta is as bad an appointment as I predict he will be.

Get behind him? Nah, the club is fucked mate.
Last edited by Bob Bayliss on Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Good luck to him. I think he is the wrong appointment, or at the least the potentially right appointment at the wrong time.

But whilst he isn’t a proven success, he equally isn’t a proven failure either. I quite liked him as a player - he was past his best, but when we panic bought him in 2011 he was our only good performer than year other than van Persie and he was consistent for us until his legs went.

Best of luck to him - its a fucking huge job.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsène who :lol:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
He is a gutless appointment from a gutless club. A man who epitomises the second half of the Wenger era, a show pony with no track record of success. And anyone who dares to invoke George Graham as an example of an unexpected success in management should wash their mouths out. They are chalk and cheese. George was a winner as a player, and despite his languid demeanour he was always a tough competitor. He then cut his teeth in management at Millwall, taking on a tough apprenticeship in a leading role rather than getting splinters as a nodding nellie next to the manager of a mega-rich club who aren't exactly convincing defensively these days.
Agree George Graham "Stroller"was different class, a charming man if you met him .....a master at organising a defence...classy as a player...in my opinion an Arsenal great

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Redarmy wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:18 pm
Bob Bayliss wrote:
He is a gutless appointment from a gutless club. A man who epitomises the second half of the Wenger era, a show pony with no track record of success. And anyone who dares to invoke George Graham as an example of an unexpected success in management should wash their mouths out. They are chalk and cheese. George was a winner as a player, and despite his languid demeanour he was always a tough competitor. He then cut his teeth in management at Millwall, taking on a tough apprenticeship in a leading role rather than getting splinters as a nodding nellie next to the manager of a mega-rich club who aren't exactly convincing defensively these days.
Agree George Graham "Stroller"was different class, a charming man if you met him .....a master at organising a defence...classy as a player...in my opinion an Arsenal great...lets hope Arteta can do half as well

shu

Post by shu »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:46 pm
Tbh I have a sneaking suspicion Arteta might become our new GG. :shock:

GG was not fancied when he arrived but he arrived with a plan and cleared out the overpaid deadwood. Hopefully Arteta can even be half as successful as GG. 8)

And the next person that uses the term "Tets" gets a week ban for being a cùnt. It's in the rules. Somewhere. :D
Get Nutflush to post it

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

DB10GOONER wrote:

GG was not fancied when he arrived but he arrived with a plan and cleared out the overpaid deadwood. Hopefully Arteta can even be half as successful as GG. 8)

And the next person that uses the term "Tets" gets a week ban for being a cùnt. It's in the rules. Somewhere. :D
So we cant use the term "Tets offensive" when we beat Everton 7-0 saturday?

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

robbo10 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:46 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

So we cant use the term "Tets offensive" when we beat Everton 7-0 saturday?

Miki Arteta's red and white army :barscarf: :barscarf:

Bradfords

Post by Bradfords »

I wish him every success.... he has three major issues :
1. Disinterested leach of an owner who is take cash out not put cash in
2.A squad not clearly strong enough which leads directly to....
3.If an 'invincible' like Ljunberg, who achieved more than most of these no marks could ever do, can't get these pussies to respect, react or respond he is hamstrung before he starts...... I hope you have the backing and strength to clear most of them out and start again..... and, my opinion only, starting with the prima donna /lazy/workshy/egotist/useless (they fall in to one, several or all categories!) ..... Ozil, Xhaka, Auba, Soktratis, Luiz, Kolasinac, Mustafi, Bellerin..... I could go on and just name the whole fucking lot!

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Arsenal Head Coach giving a press conference and I can understand him :shock: :lol:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:20 pm
Arsenal Head Coach giving a press conference and I can understand him :shock: :lol:
Què