AFTV gone too far

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
herbert

Re: AFTV gone too far

Post by herbert »

He has tweeted an apology for using the word legendary but this latest episode especially after pulling the hooligans and race card at Everton is confirmation that he knows nothing of our terrace history ,this follows a video clip from last week of troopz saying that when people talk of Arsenal fc you automatically think of troopz and DT

from what i can gather troopz was not at the game yesterday, I am hoping that he maybe felt a bit embarrassed

DT was there and so was the hat the Palace fans stole from him when he was being interviewed for aftv after the game at the bowl earlier in the season

They hung it from the upper tier of the Holmesdale end and asked him to come and get it

Has I was leaving Selhurst park yesterday there was an argument going on in the middle of the street and from what I can gather it involved a fan who had been to the game v another fan who had not been to the game but had come to Selhurst especially to go on AFTV to give his thoughts on the game :shock: :lol:

slevinlacey

Post by slevinlacey »

The post still remains up even after he has apologised. Can see a few problems either at Chelsea or Bournemouth.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

The original idea was decent as giving fans a chance to say what they felt about the club away from the sanitised club-sanctioned propaganda was refreshing. It was the first time that proper anti-Wenger views were getting aired and a lot of people probably felt a connection to what they heard. Over the last couple of years, the whole thing has become a circus with idiots popping up saying more and more ridiculous things to get attention. It's become like a Youtube football Big Brother where dickheads come on try to out-do each other by being more of a dickhead. I've found Robbie to be quite a decent bloke in the past but it seems like he wants to now do other things, get involved in proper broadcasting and be seen as more than just the one with the microphone on AFTV. This whole Cass Pennant thing is strange. Yes, it's interesting to hear about the experiences of black fans in the 70s and 80s but Cass Pennant wasn't really a fan, he was a hooligan who spent time in prison and to be honest, has been irrelevant for about 20 years once the shitty little Danny Dyer-inspired hooligan 'revival' died down. If you're making a programme about black supporters and have Cass Pennant on as an authority, you're not going to win many friends or be taken that seriously.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:06 pm
The original idea was decent as giving fans a chance to say what they felt about the club away from the sanitised club-sanctioned propaganda was refreshing. It was the first time that proper anti-Wenger views were getting aired and a lot of people probably felt a connection to what they heard. Over the last couple of years, the whole thing has become a circus with idiots popping up saying more and more ridiculous things to get attention. It's become like a Youtube football Big Brother where dickheads come on try to out-do each other by being more of a dickhead. I've found Robbie to be quite a decent bloke in the past but it seems like he wants to now do other things, get involved in proper broadcasting and be seen as more than just the one with the microphone on AFTV. This whole Cass Pennant thing is strange. Yes, it's interesting to hear about the experiences of black fans in the 70s and 80s but Cass Pennant wasn't really a fan, he was a hooligan who spent time in prison and to be honest, has been irrelevant for about 20 years once the shitty little Danny Dyer-inspired hooligan 'revival' died down. If you're making a programme about black supporters and have Cass Pennant on as an authority, you're not going to win many friends or be taken that seriously.
Good post Perry, I viewed AFTV as an alternative to the sterile punditry ( similar to how the fanzine movement eclipsed the match day programme) and have no issue in Robbie doing well from his enterprise ( it could easily have gone tits up ) but no longer watch it.
But you are right, increasingly it is now about being controversial for the sake of it, to get hits / likes / whatever the current terminology is.

Again, I have no issue with him wanting to do other things to be more acceptable to broadcasters ( similar to previous Gooner regulars going on to become journalists, Amy Lawrence etc, good luck to them)

I think it’s more about him being okay, to be in the same room as someone like Pennant, who has Gooner blood on his hands, and thinking that other Gooners are going to be alright with that.

He doesn’t appear to know where to draw the line in his quest for money / fame

Clash

Post by Clash »

StuartL wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:14 pm
Good post Perry, I viewed AFTV as an alternative to the sterile punditry ( similar to how the fanzine movement eclipsed the match day programme) and have no issue in Robbie doing well from his enterprise ( it could easily have gone tits up ) but no longer watch it.
But you are right, increasingly it is now about being controversial for the sake of it, to get hits / likes / whatever the current terminology is.

Again, I have no issue with him wanting to do other things to be more acceptable to broadcasters ( similar to previous Gooner regulars going on to become journalists, Amy Lawrence etc, good luck to them)

I think it’s more about him being okay, to be in the same room as someone like Pennant, who has Gooner blood on his hands, and thinking that other Gooners are going to be alright with that.

Well said Stuart. As well as Perry and others too of course.

Like you, I also initially viewed AFTV as a sort of modern day version of the fanzine movement but its gone beyond that now and grown into a monster. As Jock pointed out on another thread (Everton away I think), the fanzine stuff was always more thoughtful and less heat of the moment than AFTV usually is (except for the Highbury Spy rant column anyway 8) )

I do think people use the word ''legend'' far too easily and lazily these days but that is no excuse! Robbie Lyle should know better or do better research before he starts using words like that to describe someone like Pennant. After recent events where he was on the brink this is a very damaging error and almost certainly a step too far. With all things there is always a line you shouldn't cross.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Clash wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:08 pm
StuartL wrote:

Like you, I also initially viewed AFTV as a sort of modern day version of the fanzine movement but its gone beyond that now and grown into a monster. As Jock pointed out on another thread (Everton away I think), the fanzine stuff was always more thoughtful and less heat of the moment than AFTV usually is (except for the Highbury Spy rant column anyway 8) )

I do think people use the word ''legend'' far too easily and lazily these days but that is no excuse! Robbie Lyle should know better or do better research before he starts using words like that to describe someone like Pennant. After recent events where he was on the brink this is a very damaging error and almost certainly a step too far. With all things there is always a line you shouldn't cross.
I have a feeling Robbie doesn't care about the UK/London fanbase anymore. It's the international Gooners that puts food on his plate these days. They don't understand the history between Arsenal and West Ham so he can say these sorts of things and ignorance will prevail. As you say AFTV has become a monster. He will fight to the death to keep his business growing. You can see that from his videoes and his recent spat with Simon Jordan.

In saying that it was a massive error from his part, this whole saga has blown up in his face I suspect from people that are fed up of the noise AFTV makes these days, Personally I have gone full circle with them after thinking it was a cool concept, don't have time for fans that just milk a brand and have their own personal agendas ahead of the club.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Y'know I thought my dislike of this AFTV horseshit was a generational thing. I hate most social media shit like twatter facebook instagram and despise reality and social media "celebidees". And the attention-whore bollocks portrayed on this AFTV guff is as bad as any of that old shit. :censored:

But my daughter is 15 and my son is 14 both are Gooners from birth and they both reckon AFTV is utter shit so it's a fact. It's shit.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:44 pm
Y'know I thought my dislike of this AFTV horseshit was a generational thing. I hate most social media shit like twatter facebook instagram and despise reality and social media "celebidees". And the attention-whore bollocks portrayed on this AFTV guff is as bad as any of that old shit. :censored:

But my daughter is 15 and my son is 14 both are Gooners from birth and they both reckon AFTV is utter shit so it's a fact. It's shit.
Anything that celebrates being a moron and rewards people accordingly gets on my tits too - it's like watching the 'Joey Essex' of Arsenal brigade lining up one after the other trying to compete for the world's thickest fan competition and suddenly being treated like celebrities

I did used to quite enjoy poor old Claude as he was one of the only people I knew who was more depressed about everything to do with Arsenal than me but the poor old bugger looks fucked now !

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Clash wrote:
StuartL wrote:

I like the comparison to the fanzine culture of the 80s. I hadn't really thought about it before but yeah, when it first came along, it was very much like the move towards supporter-generated material which hit the culture of the game in England 35 years ago. What made the fanzine era so interesting and appealing was the fact that it had supporters laughing at the game and having a good time in what was a dark and depressing period where football had been all serious and violent for too long. We'd had a similar period of football being taken far too seriously for 25 years when AFTV and others came along but instead of having a laugh and being a refreshing relief, it went all noisy and aggressive. There's only so many times you can listen to a twat in a winter coat or tracksuit top shouting the words "wanker" and "fuck" every few seconds about anyone and everyone. It's not much fun to be fair.
On a more positive note, I'm really enjoying the stuff Layth is producing for the Gooner Twitter page. It's interesting, sensible and relevant. Keep it up.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Clash wrote:
StuartL wrote:

Absolutely he crossed the line but the problem for me Clash is for how many of us does that line still exist. How many gooners under 40 really give two shits about what went on back in the day. Some of them might make noises about the CP thing but it doesn't really exist in their thoughts or history. Perhaps if a few of them had experienced the delights of an Upton Park away fixture in the cold dark winter then they might think a bit differently about it all. Then of course as nutflush said, there are all the twonks from outer mongolia who are our biggest fans who haven't a clue who CP is and will contine to follow AFTV regardless.

There are far too many of the snowflake generation who are used to watching these absolute fu.cking retards on the telly who should have been taken out and shot at birth. What kind of society accepts Joey fucking Essex let alone celebrates him and puts him on mainstream telly. The fu.cker is an abortion of a human being yet modern day society encourages him. I'd shoot his fu.cking parents too as they are just as much to blame for the little cu.nt stealing a living and polluting our young as he is. Talking of Joeys, poor old Joey Deacon must look back and think if only I'd been born in the 2000s I'd have been a bleeding hero.

So as much as Robbie fu.cked up and crossed the line there are far too many 'gooners' out there who don't give a toss about his little indiscretion, it's only bitter old fu.cks like us who'll pull him up for being a twat.

Herd

Post by Herd »

For me it proves what I already knew and that is that Robbi isn't an Arsenal fan and never was ,in the early days of Arsenal TV they had some sensible fellas on there but since then they have cultivated the drongo's who are there just to stir controversy .
Robbie himself is a Luton Town fan, however he claims to have followed us from the 80's ,well that's a lie ,any large Black geezer at away matches we would have known as we always looked out for them because they got shit from the OB everywhere we went, our away support wasn't that good so his face would have been known.
I have no objections to anyone earning a shilling but when its at the expense of real supporters who are sick of being made to look like clowns then it's bound to have repercussions.
Robbie has been spoken to a number of times about this but he refuses to change the formula because the overwhelming majority of people who follow the site aren't from the UK and wrongly think aftv is a reflection of the real fans .
The latest faux pas calling the cowardly knife wielding grass ,cass pennant a legend has made some people you shouldn't upset very angry .
It would be great though if he hired cass as security for aftv it would be like a jam pot to wasps .
He had to be escorted out of Palarse by 20 odd stewards and OB last week such has the fan base turned against him and his cohorts !
RIP John Dickinson never forgotten !

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Years back in the days of the BSM marches & early Wenger Out protests, Robbie tried to get me to give an interview, I did talk to him once on a demo against the board & I gave a another interview at The Bear RIP memorial march, after which I got quoted in The Times.
I have always mentioned that he really should start talking to some proper old school fans, particularly those that were refusing to attend home games. Go round the pubs & meet real supporters.

He asked me a few other times since but I repeated my same point, talk to the lifetime Arsenal fans who still go aways & Europe, watch home games in local boozers & refuse to go inside the ground. That's how you will find out how some fans feel about the club. :barscarf:

Instead we have a continuing freak clown show, nothing to do with real Gooners, just wannabe celebs, calling this Arsenal fan TV is bollox. Numpty muppet show would be more realistic. :banghead: :cussing:

Robbie is just using Arsenal & it's fans to make money & further his media profile. :censored:

Herd

Post by Herd »

He wasn't around in 2008 so how could you do an interview with him ?????
If your talking about the memorial service in 2018 there wasn't a March ?

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

I'm sure some of us got interviewed by some TV lot as well as journalists at the Bear RIP march, there was a few film crews about on that day.

I always thought the first BSM march / protests against the board was not long afterwards, Robbie had me on interview slagging the board off & the disgraceful way they treated lifelong fans. :cussing:

I don't remember him back in 2008 though so you're right about that. Now I'm wondering how many years afterwards did the BSM marches happen? My memory is getting confused. :rubchin:

Ziegler1988

Post by Ziegler1988 »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:53 pm
I'm sure some of us got interviewed by some TV lot as well as journalists at the Bear RIP march, there was a few film crews about on that day.

I always thought the first BSM march / protests against the board was not long afterwards, Robbie had me on interview slagging the board off & the disgraceful way they treated lifelong fans. :cussing:

I don't remember him back in 2008 though so you're right about that. Now I'm wondering how many years afterwards did the BSM marches happen? My memory is getting confused. :rubchin:
There was a BSM march December 2012 before the match Michu scored a brace against us