Is it time to cash in on Aubameyang?

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunnersaurus

Is it time to cash in on Aubameyang?

Post by Gunnersaurus »

With Arteta seeming to have a thing for Lackofthreat as the CF, do you think the club should just cash in on Aubameyang?

Arteta seems to see him as a wide man where he's completely ineffective, hes wasted there & other than goalscoring, theres not much to his game to play there, the balance of the attack rarely feels right when he's there.

At his age & with the contract he would require, if the manager doesnt have the balls to pick one of them over the other for the good of the team, should he be sold with the money reinvested?

sk-gtfo

Re: Is it time to cash in on Aubameyang?

Post by sk-gtfo »

yes

augie

Post by augie »

No cos that shipped has sailed now imo. IF we were gonna cash in on him, then we should have done it in January when his price would have been high, but in the summer he will have only 12 months left on his deal and clubs will know that he is for sale and will drive a hard bargain. I have said it before and will say it again, in my opinion we should have sold him last summer or last month and brought in a 2 quality players for the money received - yes there would be a drop off in quality in the striker department, but it would hopefully have made the overall team stronger like it did for the victims when they sold coutinho

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Probably both go when the money is right

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

No , not now. He's becoming indispensable to the way Arteta sets the team up.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

No. Absolutely not. Take away his goals and we are mid table at best. He is not Wrighty or Henry and he has games where he is not in it at all. But he is clinical in front of goal in a way that Lacazette might never be and Martinelli and Eddie aren't yet.

He also often does a huge amount of work when out wide that he often gets no credit for. Love him even if he can frustrate me at times.

wibble

Post by wibble »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:21 am
No. Absolutely not. Take away his goals and we are mid table at best. He is not Wrighty or Henry and he has games where he is not in it at all. But he is clinical in front of goal in a way that Lacazette might never be and Martinelli and Eddie aren't yet.

He also often does a huge amount of work when out wide that he often gets no credit for. Love him even if he can frustrate me at times.
We’re mid table with his goals!

But I agree, if we can keep him, we should, he’s arguably our best player

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Nobody in their right mind wants him to go but if he comes out in the Summer and states that he isn't renewing his contract, then are we prepared to do another Alexis and let him go for nothing afterwards?

Without his goals we are f++++d. Without his goals and no money to show for it, we are double f++++d

Clash

Post by Clash »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:05 pm
Nobody in their right mind wants him to go but if he comes out in the Summer and states that he isn't renewing his contract, then are we prepared to do another Alexis and let him go for nothing afterwards?

Without his goals we are f++++d. Without his goals and no money to show for it, we are double f++++d
We didnt let Alexis go for nothing Steve, we exchanged him for Mkhit ... ah yeah I see what you mean mate :) 8)

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clash wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:08 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:05 pm

We didnt let Alexis go for nothing Steve, we exchanged him for Mkhit ... ah yeah I see what you mean mate :) 8)
Sorry mate, you're right.....we got worse than nothing :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

wibble wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:01 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:21 am

We’re mid table with his goals!

But I agree, if we can keep him, we should, he’s arguably our best player
:lol:

Upper mid table..... without him it's lower mid table. Wengerspeak 101. :wink:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

What value does auba have this summer with one year left on his contract. Certainly wont be what we paid for him, all the big clubs will be offering £30-£40m tops.

All very well selling him but where do the goals come from, we will be heavily reliant on Eddie/Gabi to fill the void. Laca is now at an age where he won't really improve.

Although letting contracts run down for Rambo and Sanchez was a bad thing, given our current position and Auba's ability to score even when the team are playing shit can we really afford to let him go. Plus I genuinely think he likes the club, and has a connection with the fans.

goonertone

Post by goonertone »

If he wants to stay then fine sign him up as long as it's not on stupid money like Ozil.

That said if he won't sign then he must be sold regardless. He'll be 31 by the time next season starts and we can't afford the luxury of losing another player for bugger all the season after.

He's a great finisher (apart from penalties!) but i don't think he's irreplaceable as he's approaching the twilight of his career anyway so will need replacing sooner or later. Long term i'd be more concerned about the club not being able to hold onto the likes of Martinelli and Saka.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

EXCLUSIVE from @le10sport: The Arsenal hierarchy have had positive talks with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang regarding a contract extension.

augie

Post by augie »

Lads, we are not talking about selling him by choice, and are not talking about selling him and not buying a replacement, so can we stop with "where will the goals come from" comments ? Bar the senile old French cock, I don't think that there is a manager in the world that would tolerate selling him UNLESS he was getting the money to buy a replacement striker, and I expect arteta would be no different. There is no certainties in the transfer market so we cant say for sure that whoever comes in for auba (whether that be this summer or any summer) will bag the same amount of goals, but I can say with almost 100% certainty a striker would be brought into replace auba, so maybe he will get the goals that ye are all worried about missing. Selling him in the summer is an absolute no brainer IF he refuses to sign a new contract, but if that happens the fee we will get will be a lot less than we would have got last month, and that will make me worry more about the drop off in goals next season - sell auba for £70m-£80m and use the money to buy a younger striker and you would be more confident in the quality player we sign, but if we now only have £30m-£40m to bring in a replacement ……. :worried: :worried: