Pompey (A) FA CUP 02/03 @ 19:45

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
LeftfootlegendGooner

Re: Pompey (A) FA CUP 02/03 @ 19:45

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:37 pm
Good news on Torreira it seems :barscarf:
No disrespect for the the little fella but he's soft as shit, every soft tackle he rolls around like he's been shot and one hard one and he was begging to be subbed, soft as shit.

He is not the answer to our ball winning midfield and I've said that since day dot, no wonder the managers don't pick him.

The only injury a scan would reveal is a split fanny ffs.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

LeftfootlegendGooner wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:44 pm
rodders999 wrote:
No disrespect for the the little fella but he's soft as shit, every soft tackle he rolls around like he's been shot and one hard one and he was begging to be subbed, soft as shit.

He is not the answer to our ball winning midfield and I've said that since day dot, no wonder the managers don't pick him.

To be fair I’m not sure it stops him from being quite an effective combative midfielder - he is not world class by any stretch but he had a few really good games when Arteta first joined.

But he is a complete fucking fanny who is in completely agony at least 4 times a game. It’s embarrassing.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Job done, much better second half but he needs to really work on the decsion making for some of the youngsters. Too often they try to do to much, i know they're all pushing for a first team place but a bit of mental coaching is required, team before individual.

Mari looked ok at CB although he didnt have much to do second half, Sokratis ran about a lot at times especially first half but he'll never be a RB and it showed, the sooner Soares is fit the better as i'd prefer not to see the fashion model there again if at all possible.

We actually did slightly better at set pieces tonight, and i mean only 'slightly' better but we really need a proper defensive coach because too often they seem to get in each others way trying to clear it.

The yongsters definitely stepped up second half but the cohesion isn't there which is strange because most of them played together at under 23 etc

I know Ceballos wasnt great but he stepped into that roll relatively well considering and i dont expect him to be creating much filling in for Torreira.

Quarters here we come :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

northbank123 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:48 pm
rodders999 wrote:

To be fair I’m not sure it stops him from being quite an effective combative midfielder - he is not world class by any stretch but he had a few really good games when Arteta first joined.

But he is a complete fucking fanny who is in completely agony at least 4 times a game. It’s embarrassing.
He looked world class in the Copa two years ago.

I think he's just still not fit enough for the English game. Thats why he gets caught and sent flying.

He's not afraid to put his foot in or work a shift, but he's not strong enough or fit enough for a CM in England imho.

I reckon he'll go to Spain next year and do well probably.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Good win in the end against 12 men :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

I swear to jesus the hypocrisy on here sometimes is amusing - from my recollections, mari is the ONLY player that hasn't been slated on here tonight, and yet I am labelled as negative :lol:
I didnt see the game so I am not questioning anyone's judgement on their performances, but if myself or a few other individuals criticised them like that, we would be wisely lambasted. Several have complained about arteta's team selection and the all round team display, but if we state that any improvements under arteta have been slight, we get rounded on by a lynching mob :roll:
Again from what you all say, tonight was another poor performance to add to the palace, burnley, Sheffield utd, dirty leeds and Bournemouth games

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Torreira left the ground on crutches and in a protective boot so maybe not all ok after all.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Augie you haven’t just rocked up in here, read the match comments and turned this into a persecution complex have ya?

:lol:

90% of what’s written on the internet is negative, isn’t that the whole point of it :wink:

(Hit me up in my DM’s for some smoking hot links to 90% of what’s viewed on it BTW).

I think you’re dislike for Arteta is ruining your enjoyment of things. I mean if you can’t enjoy the wins you’re gonna be fucking suicidal after the defeats.

9 changes from the other night, 6 lads from the academy getting game time, a clean sheet and into the quarter final.

Besides Mike Dean (dickhead), I enjoyed it anyway.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:05 pm
Ceballos has gone backwards with nearly every pass. :roll: Have a go mate ffs.
If he could find our forwards like he does our centre backs he could be quite useful

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

clockender1 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:21 pm
Great desire and control for that 2nd goal.

Not bad for no laca, pepe, or Auba.

Now lets get the clean sheet :barscarf:
Yep I agree. Now stick with this new/young front 3 for the rest of the season & let them develop. Sell Auba for heaps & get a decent c/m. :barscarf: :barscarf:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

clockender1 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:27 pm
northbank123 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:48 pm
rodders999 wrote:

He looked world class in the Copa two years ago.

I think he's just still not fit enough for the English game. Thats why he gets caught and sent flying.

He's not afraid to put his foot in or work a shift, but he's not strong enough or fit enough for a CM in England imho.

I reckon he'll go to Spain next year and do well probably.
Agree that fitness is a massive issue for him and it has been since he started.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:01 am
Augie you haven’t just rocked up in here, read the match comments and turned this into a persecution complex have ya?

Oh yes he did. :lol:

If I hadn't actually met him I'd swear the augster was a mouser fan. :D :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:43 pm
I swear to jesus the hypocrisy on here sometimes is amusing - from my recollections, mari is the ONLY player that hasn't been slated on here tonight, and yet I am labelled as negative :lol:
I didnt see the game so I am not questioning anyone's judgement on their performances, but if myself or a few other individuals criticised them like that, we would be wisely lambasted. Several have complained about arteta's team selection and the all round team display, but if we state that any improvements under arteta have been slight, we get rounded on by a lynching mob :roll:
Again from what you all say, tonight was another poor performance to add to the palace, burnley, Sheffield utd, dirty leeds and Bournemouth games
I think what you need to consider augie old chap is that some of us won't just blindly follow an agenda. Why should we pretend that Arteta got everything right if he didn't? Just to back up our argument that some things have improved slightly under him? That's not hypocritical it's just a reasoned balanced honest viewpoint.

Do I think Arteta has improved us slightly in defence? Yes. Do I think he was the best choice as manager? No. Do I think he gets everything right? No. It does not invalidate my viewpoint by admitting he has got some things right and some things wrong.

This is similar to the silly fucking nonsense we see on here where a couple of posters are so invested in their anti-Wenger personas they can't bring themselves to admit he was a brilliant manager in his first decade with us - when they would have loved him during that time. Admitting he was a great manager in that first decade does not invalidate the view that he was complete shit for the majority of the second decade. And yet some can't do that.

Now THAT is hypocrisy.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Good morning from sunny southsea ,great night out turgid first half but Pompey faded after the 2nd.
Need a cooked breakfast and some ibuprofen.

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:01 am

90% of what’s written on the internet is negative, isn’t that the whole point of it :wink:

(Hit me up in my DM’s for some smoking hot links to 90% of what’s viewed on it BTW).

I think you’re dislike for Arteta is ruining your enjoyment of things. I mean if you can’t enjoy the wins you’re gonna be fucking suicidal after the defeats.

9 changes from the other night, 6 lads from the academy getting game time, a clean sheet and into the quarter final.

Besides Mike Dean (dickhead), I enjoyed it anyway.

My comments are not persecution based at all

I honestly don't mind disagreements with most people on here so that isn't what it is about at all - my point was that people need to step back and actually read what they are saying and then tell me how it is any different than what I have been saying all along whenI am accused of having an agenda.
My comments were not slating arteta per se - I made the point that we will not see a whole lot of improvement because we are using players like xhaka, ozil and mustafi, so instead of lauding imaginary improvements we need to accept where we are with these players and stop looking for improvements that (mostly) are not there.
For the record I 90% back the team selection last night and wont have a got at him over it - I am not happy with his treatment of maitland-niles at all if I'm honest, cos I think that playing sokratis (or any of our centre backs) is a massive slap in the face for him. It seems that in arteta's eyes luiz is indispensable cos he plays every game regardless, whilst I would have played sokratis in there in his proper position and played maitland-niles at right full. That aside I am by and large on board with his outfield team selection (keeper I'm not sure on) - again I am consistant with what I said about the other games I listed in my prior post, in that we had a good enough line up to win that game easier, so the issues lie elsewhere