CoronaVirus / Adolf Putin / The Apocalypse etc

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by StuartL »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:01 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:56 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:55 am
The Office of National Statistics regularly reports deaths. Out of curiosity I checked to see if there were any difference in deaths in the first quarter of 2019 and the first quarter of 2020. The difference was staggering. In the first quarter of 2019 (1st of Jan to 31st March, there were 134,284 in the same period in 2020 it stood at 164,828. At that time covid-19 accounted for around 15,500 deaths in 2020. Now is there something else going on or are the death figures for covid-19 underestimated?

Considering the 5 year average for deaths in the first quarter is around 132,000 mark. Macabre, I know, but if a true figure was revealed it would scare the hell out of more people.

I've been having a look at the weekly ONS provisional death figures for England and Wales as I though it strange that the March 2020 weekly figures weren't really out of sync with the average figures for the previous 5 years. The ONS data I saw had the first quarter average for the previous 5 years showing at about 152k not 132k (you got a link for your figure please) It's only in the weeks 3/4/20 and 10/4/20 that records show that the virus deaths have started to outstrip the average figures. The deaths by age bracket stats really highlight how bad the oldies have got it at the moment.
My error, apparantly I can't use a calculator at 2am as well as I used to. Putting a formula on the downloaded spreadsheet the figures showed something I wasn't expecting. For the weekending 27 March there were 150K deaths, compared to a 5 year average of £153K for the equivalent period. It has spiked considerable in April's figure. Although, there is a pandemic no more than average number of people have died than usual. This being the reason behind me wanting to look at the figures.
Obviously, I'm not belittling or dismissing covid-19 as a serious threat to people's health. Those that are at serious risk should take precautions but is it necessary for everyone to be lockdowned? especially schools where there has been no evidence to suggest it has made a difference to reducing the spread.
I'm a key worker, for me, it is business as usual. I've interviewed and recruited over 50 people in last 6 weeks. I wasn't allowed to interview over the phone, I had to bring individuals into the building at the insistance of my boss. I didn't feel comfortable doing that but i didn't have much choice. Which makes me question the seriousness of the whole situation?
governments don’t just shutdown countries with the huge financial implications that will have consequences for years without good reason -,still think they is lots that we are not being told about this, not just the figures of who has died.

John F

Post by John F »

Nos89 wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
Nos89 wrote:
The Office of National Statistics regularly reports deaths. Out of curiosity I checked to see if there were any difference in deaths in the first quarter of 2019 and the first quarter of 2020. The difference was staggering. In the first quarter of 2019 (1st of Jan to 31st March, there were 134,284 in the same period in 2020 it stood at 164,828. At that time covid-19 accounted for around 15,500 deaths in 2020. Now is there something else going on or are the death figures for covid-19 underestimated?

Considering the 5 year average for deaths in the first quarter is around 132,000 mark. Macabre, I know, but if a true figure was revealed it would scare the hell out of more people.

I've been having a look at the weekly ONS provisional death figures for England and Wales as I though it strange that the March 2020 weekly figures weren't really out of sync with the average figures for the previous 5 years. The ONS data I saw had the first quarter average for the previous 5 years showing at about 152k not 132k (you got a link for your figure please) It's only in the weeks 3/4/20 and 10/4/20 that records show that the virus deaths have started to outstrip the average figures. The deaths by age bracket stats really highlight how bad the oldies have got it at the moment.
My error, apparantly I can't use a calculator at 2am as well as I used to. Putting a formula on the downloaded spreadsheet the figures showed something I wasn't expecting. For the weekending 27 March there were 150K deaths, compared to a 5 year average of £153K for the equivalent period. It has spiked considerable in April's figure. Although, there is a pandemic no more than average number of people have died than usual. This being the reason behind me wanting to look at the figures.
Obviously, I'm not belittling or dismissing covid-19 as a serious threat to people's health. Those that are at serious risk should take precautions but is it necessary for everyone to be lockdowned? especially schools where there has been no evidence to suggest it has made a difference to reducing the spread.
I'm a key worker, for me, it is business as usual. I've interviewed and recruited over 50 people in last 6 weeks. I wasn't allowed to interview over the phone, I had to bring individuals into the building at the insistance of my boss. I didn't feel comfortable doing that but i didn't have much choice. Which makes me question the seriousness of the whole situation?
It could be because of the lockdown that deaths in other areas car accidents ,pollution etc and the transmission of other viruses are down.The exit strategy is going to be hard to do if it only took one bat muncher to start a world pandemic and what may throw a spanner in the works is that according to Sarah Jarvis on radio2 in South Korea some people who have recovered from the virus are still showing traces a few weeks later.Scientists do not know why with various theories that it could lay dormant like chicken pox or that their immunity did not fully get rid of the virus.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

StuartL wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:18 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

governments don’t just shutdown countries with the huge financial implications that will have consequences for years without good reason -,still think they is lots that we are not being told about this, not just the figures of who has died.
That's just it. They haven't completely shut down the country. Supermarkets are still open. Businesses that have built up a strong online presence are still operational. Banks and professional services are still operational. Everyone is allowed to go out at least once a day, if not more and for longer than 1 hour. Essential services are still operational.
The borders are still open. Yes, tourism has been reduced and the environmental impact has been benficial.
The hospitalty sector has been hit massively by the lockdown measures, as has engineering. Maybe it is the part of the world I work in, but, I've never interviewed so many people with engineering qualifications to work in a supermarket.

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

Mate of mine works for Tesco Logistics and their applications for driving jobs has gone through the roof. Including an Airline pilot going from 100k a year to a tenner an hour! In desperate times, you gotta do whatever.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:58 am
StuartL wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:18 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

That's just it. They haven't completely shut down the country. Supermarkets are still open. Businesses that have built up a strong online presence are still operational. Banks and professional services are still operational. Everyone is allowed to go out at least once a day, if not more and for longer than 1 hour. Essential services are still operational.
The borders are still open. Yes, tourism has been reduced and the environmental impact has been benficial.
The hospitalty sector has been hit massively by the lockdown measures, as has engineering. Maybe it is the part of the world I work in, but, I've never interviewed so many people with engineering qualifications to work in a supermarket.

Yes trying to do maths at 2am isn't something for me either :lol: I had visions of two sets of ONS figures on the go and was gearing up for a big conspiracy theory push. I agree that those at risk should be protected and should be in isolation but the rest of us need to be working. They have had the opportunity to increase bed capacity and ventillators have been procurred so time to start thinking about the way forward.

I don't think they ever really wanted to shut the country down to the extent of some of our European neighbours. The ONS figures show that this virus is absolutely nailing the elderly, those with an underlying condition (usually the elderly again) and the obese. Ethnic minorities are also taking a disproportionate hit which was obvious a couple of weeks ago when they put up the picture of the NHS staff who had died but which our esteemed press have only just cottoned onto :roll:

From the moment Imperial College said possibly 250k dead this has always been about making sure that the current government didn't go down in history as overseeing the deaths of that many people. Second to that was ensuring that the NHS wasn't overwhelmed, so the Protect the NHS Save Lives line was born because people would buy into that. What I can't reconcile is why the government listens to Imperial on modelling and apparently discounts the Oxford and Cambridge theories that the virus was here much earlier than the govt seems to want to think YET when it comes to developing a vaccine there are high expectations of Oxford or Cambridge coming up with something while I have seen no mention of Imperial on that subject.

This is now all about sitting back and watching what happens to the countries that are beginning to open up in the hope of learning lessons to help us avoid any adverse issues they may encounter. There has been a marked increase in road traffic over the last few days and a mate who has to go in to work via the M25 said that there is still a considerable amount of traffic using it. I think the public will go with the duration of the current lockdown but after that there will be increased discontent.

I retired a couple of years ago from a 'key worker' occupation and took up a little part time job in a supermarket for something to do and I'm suddenly a key worker again by default :shock: WTF is that all about :x

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:08 am
Hello Peeps!

Thank-You for your concern and kind comments, it IS appreciated.

Yes, I am okay...Got tested last Saturday and I am now waiting for the result/s. I feel okay - Just feel like I have had the flu - But must admit this felt worse...than the man flu I've had before... Bonus: (The nurse (female!) was very sexy in her mask and gloves! :D :wink: :-P :oops: )

I would have posted sooner but my Router Died... I know any other time and I could just order replacement but trying to get through to the provider is impossible, so I am send this on my phone, which I have never used to do 'internet' stuff before, only ever used it for Calls/Texts and Photo's oh! and Music!.

Sincerely: I hope you are all well and SAFE.

One things is for certain Mike dean is a still a C.U.N.T :D
Glad to hear you are OK mate. Stay safe. 8)

Mike Fucking Dean is a cùnt. Pass it on. 8)

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:44 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Hello Peeps!

Yes, I am okay...Got tested last Saturday and I am now waiting for the result/s. I feel okay - Just feel like I have had the flu - But must admit this felt worse...than the man flu I've had before... Bonus: (The nurse (female!) was very sexy in her mask and gloves! :D :wink: :-P :oops: )

I would have posted sooner but my Router Died... I know any other time and I could just order replacement but trying to get through to the provider is impossible, so I am send this on my phone, which I have never used to do 'internet' stuff before, only ever used it for Calls/Texts and Photo's oh! and Music!.

Well if he comes in to do his shopping tomorrow I'll pass on your platitudes. :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:13 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Hello Peeps!

Well if he comes in to do his shopping tomorrow I'll pass on your platitudes. :D
Thank you kind sir. 8)

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:08 am
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:13 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
Hello Peeps!

Thank you kind sir. 8)

That would probably be MD's response to being informed of your opinion of him.

augie

Post by augie »

The other day I was slating all those ignorant yanks that were out protesting to get America "opened up for business again" ( :roll: ), and just 2 days later we had a group of 30-40 absolute di.ckheads protesting outside the courts in dublin looking for our country to end the restrictions over here :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops: What is it with these fuckwads that they simply feel the need to protest against everything and anything ? This virus and the possible consequences are there to see all over the country and all over the world, but yet these absolute c.unts stood linked together seeking a end to the restrictions that will put everyone at risk :evil: A good point was made on the news about how staff that were made redundant by debenhams last week had held a protest outside the store a few days previously, and even though they kept the social distancing rules and stood apart, the cops came along and broke up the protest and told people to go home - these c.unts outside the 4 courts stood linked together and the cops that were there did nothing to break up the protest and allowed these c.unts to break the law :roll:

If I am being generous I would say that the fire brigade should have been called out to use a water cannon to disperse the crowd - if I was to be more honest about it, the cops should have come along and fired rubber bullets (or real one's) at the c.unts and let them fcuk off to whatever militant shit hole they crawled out of :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

augie wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:43 am
The other day I was slating all those ignorant yanks that were out protesting to get America "opened up for business again" ( :roll: ), and just 2 days later we had a group of 30-40 absolute di.ckheads protesting outside the courts in dublin looking for our country to end the restrictions over here :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops: What is it with these fuckwads that they simply feel the need to protest against everything and anything ? This virus and the possible consequences are there to see all over the country and all over the world, but yet these absolute c.unts stood linked together seeking a end to the restrictions that will put everyone at risk :evil: A good point was made on the news about how staff that were made redundant by debenhams last week had held a protest outside the store a few days previously, and even though they kept the social distancing rules and stood apart, the cops came along and broke up the protest and told people to go home - these c.unts outside the 4 courts stood linked together and the cops that were there did nothing to break up the protest and allowed these c.unts to break the law :roll:

If I am being generous I would say that the fire brigade should have been called out to use a water cannon to disperse the crowd - if I was to be more honest about it, the cops should have come along and fired rubber bullets (or real one's) at the c.unts and let them fcuk off to whatever militant shit hole they crawled out of :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
If they want to take their chances and catch it then fine, the less morons in the world the better, but they will be the first to expect others to risk catching it to help their ignorant selves. Should be tarred and feathered for all to see who are the irresponsible idiots.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:43 am

100% on the money augster old buddy. 8)

Because of networking and ironically data protection issues I'm back working in my office in Dublin every day. I'm seeing rank stupidity every day. The amount of cùnts starting to creep out again in groups of 5 and 6 with no social distancing is astonishing. These are not key workers, these are just selfish arseholes that think the rules are for everyone else not them.

Those morons up at the courts should have been arrested or at least truncheoned. :censored:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

In other news the orange gimp Trumpwit has forced the US health authorities to publicly tell idiots not to take his advice that ingesting or injecting disinfectant might protect said idiots from COVID19.

Jesus. Fucking. Christ. :oops: :roll:

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:31 pm
In other news the orange gimp Trumpwit has forced the US health authorities to publicly tell idiots not to take his advice that ingesting or injecting disinfectant might protect said idiots from COVID19.

That's a shame as there's nothing wrong with thinning the herd by natural selection.

NickF

Post by NickF »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:31 pm

I do believe Trump should lead by example on this.