CoronaVirus / Adolf Putin / The Apocalypse etc

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by SteveO 35 »

Go back to when the R rate started rising rapidly and it is almost directly in line with when schools returned after the Summer and universities too. How on earth that has surprised anyone is beyond me. My youngest is at sixth form and takes a bus or train to get to his sixth form which is 8 miles away. Every day the bus was virtually full and every day he sat in a room with 30 other kids - kids that return to the houses of parents from all backgrounds including NHS workers and other key workers who can't work from home. All viruses 'mutate' and the flu vaccine gets tweaked to cope with it all the time. The reality is that if online learning had continued and exams scrapped for another year, I very much doubt we would be in this position. Businesses like the one I work for and thousands of others had to adapt to a home working model with almost no preparation and finding our feet. Schools had from the end of the March till September to adapt to a new normal

I know there is a shout out to vulnerable kids but they can still be accomodated in the school - our local comp has about 1,200 kids in it and the Head Teacher has said they've still got 60-100 in there every day.

As others have said above cases were rife in some areas throughout the last term - my lad had several cases within his year group and separate periods of isolation. It can be done - it isn't ideal, but what is? Certainly not 75,000+ deaths, and new infections of c. 60,000 a day.

On the contrary when I speak to local pubs, restaurants, hairdressers etc many of them didn't report a single case when they opened and certainly can't be traced to any multiple outbreaks in the way that educational and workplace settings can

We've got 4 of us at home now - three working, one home schooling. Is it perfect? No Is it a pain in the ass? Yes. Would I prefer that to my son mixing with 30 kids and putting the whole family at risk? Of course

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Except SteveO the schools didnt start the virus, the one kid who passed it to others didnt get it from the school in the first place they got it from home most probably, which means they most likely got it from a family member not following the rules correctly. Kids aren't the problem, adults are as usual, arrogant, idiotic adults who cannot follow the rules, get complacent over the rules or think they know better.

I take a 5 minute train journey to work every day, there are usually about 20 kids on the platform, all of whom tend to stay in small groups, wear masks etc. On the other hand the adults tend to congregate under the shelter, a few of them dont ever wear masks and completely ignore the 'marshalls' who tell them too or trot out the ' I'm exempt' excuse, once you get to the main train station it is exactly the same except there are considerably more adults all doing the same thing, christ half the Staff dont wear masks some times.

My youngest daughter was complaining before Christmas because her friends and her were being told off for fidgeting with their masks in school by teachers, surprise, surprise, who were not wearing masks, I contacted the school and was informed that whilst pupils were expected to wear masks at all times in wasnt always necessary for teachers to do so. There you have it, the exact reason we are in the shit, double standards from adults who should know better.

Until people learn that the shit rules we have which have been advocated by Doctors and Scientists, not created by the politicians, are the best we can manage then this shit will continue to happen. People are idiots, all of us myself included follow the rules until we hit the point where we either see no reason to or the little voice in our head tells us it wont matter this time and that's when it spreads.

Trust me when I say NBC training in the Army gives you a hell of an insight into how easily spread virus' and bacteria are and exactly what is needed to stay completely clean and risk free, it is nigh on impossible except in a completely controlled environment such as a laboratory like you see in movies. In a non-Lab environment decontamination of our suits, gloves, masks, overshoots etc took a minimum of 15-20 mins each time, then everything we touched, used or came in to contact with had to be decontaminated each and every time, we used to used a coloured chemical dye as the contaminent and fullers earth as the decontaminent. The amount of glee the instructors would take pointing out you were dead because you hadn't done it properly gives you a certain appreciation especially because your death generally was followed by a beasting in full NBC kit to remind you how dead you actually were :roll:

The mutation of this virus was unprecedented, a near 40% increase in infectivity over one mutation is undocumented anywhere in a naturally occurring virus, and believe you me I've looked, the only place there is anything remotely similar is from experiments carried out by various agencies involved with biological weapons or those specifically adjusting genetics to try to prevent this sort of shit.

Close the schools, close businesses, close non-essential work places you still have more than enough Supermarket workers, delivery drivers, people working in medical environments, carers, transport workers etc etc to keep this going round and round and taking it home to their families add in the fact that there have been proven cases of the reinfection reported and how this stops is anyones guess, but going back to the old normal is not happening any time soon if ever as depressing as it may be.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Itch sratch itch.
It doesnt matter who was first to spread it Just like closing the borders to passenger travel at the very outset once the cat was out of the bag it was away and running.
It got into schools and we had the hopeless idea of bubbles that just were impracticable . A family with 3 kids in 3 different classes and probably in 2 different schools didn't stand a chance of not being affected. Also as the really young seemed to catch it without any real symptoms nine times out of ten their parents were not aware and sent them in to spread it around.
In my family I have a case of two adults working from home and isolating due to a health problem .For 6 months they had food deliveries and the only persion that went out was their 7 year old daughter who came home from school five days before Christmas with a temperature and latterly a positive test and passed the problem on to mum and Dad.
Children may not be the main cause but once it's around they are spreaders the same as the rest of us.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:32 pm
Except SteveO the schools didnt start the virus, the one kid who passed it to others didnt get it from the school in the first place they got it from home most probably, which means they most likely got it from a family member not following the rules correctly. Kids aren't the problem, adults are as usual, arrogant, idiotic adults who cannot follow the rules, get complacent over the rules or think they know better.

I take a 5 minute train journey to work every day, there are usually about 20 kids on the platform, all of whom tend to stay in small groups, wear masks etc. On the other hand the adults tend to congregate under the shelter, a few of them dont ever wear masks and completely ignore the 'marshalls' who tell them too or trot out the ' I'm exempt' excuse, once you get to the main train station it is exactly the same except there are considerably more adults all doing the same thing, christ half the Staff dont wear masks some times.

My youngest daughter was complaining before Christmas because her friends and her were being told off for fidgeting with their masks in school by teachers, surprise, surprise, who were not wearing masks, I contacted the school and was informed that whilst pupils were expected to wear masks at all times in wasnt always necessary for teachers to do so. There you have it, the exact reason we are in the shit, double standards from adults who should know better.

Until people learn that the shit rules we have which have been advocated by Doctors and Scientists, not created by the politicians, are the best we can manage then this shit will continue to happen. People are idiots, all of us myself included follow the rules until we hit the point where we either see no reason to or the little voice in our head tells us it wont matter this time and that's when it spreads.

Trust me when I say NBC training in the Army gives you a hell of an insight into how easily spread virus' and bacteria are and exactly what is needed to stay completely clean and risk free, it is nigh on impossible except in a completely controlled environment such as a laboratory like you see in movies. In a non-Lab environment decontamination of our suits, gloves, masks, overshoots etc took a minimum of 15-20 mins each time, then everything we touched, used or came in to contact with had to be decontaminated each and every time, we used to used a coloured chemical dye as the contaminent and fullers earth as the decontaminent. The amount of glee the instructors would take pointing out you were dead because you hadn't done it properly gives you a certain appreciation especially because your death generally was followed by a beasting in full NBC kit to remind you how dead you actually were :roll:

The mutation of this virus was unprecedented, a near 40% increase in infectivity over one mutation is undocumented anywhere in a naturally occurring virus, and believe you me I've looked, the only place there is anything remotely similar is from experiments carried out by various agencies involved with biological weapons or those specifically adjusting genetics to try to prevent this sort of shit.

Close the schools, close businesses, close non-essential work places you still have more than enough Supermarket workers, delivery drivers, people working in medical environments, carers, transport workers etc etc to keep this going round and round and taking it home to their families add in the fact that there have been proven cases of the reinfection reported and how this stops is anyones guess, but going back to the old normal is not happening any time soon if ever as depressing as it may be.
Great post mate. By the way, I'm not blaming the kids for the spread in any shape or form. Mine are 20 and 16 and have behaved responsibly throughout the whole thing.

Whilst it may not have started in schools, unfortunately they provide a perfect breeding ground and so it has proved. Just look at the graphs today. Remember most things started easing up in June and for the whole period through to September the daily death toll was minimal, as were hospitalisations and in our local area we were down to 3 cases per 100,000 for several weeks. All that time, pubs were open as were restaurants, hairdressers, hotels, non essential retail. We are closing down places where the spread was minimal to start with. I felt much safer going round to our local curry house with the missus, sitting in a heavily sanitised environment with distance between all the tables - far safer than exposing 30 kids and a teacher to the same room, travelling on public transport and returning home. I'm afraid the statistical evidence is laid bare - almost within a fortnight of educational settings opening the rate started rising sharply and has never dropped since. Not the kids fault - just a fact of life

Tier 3 and 4 restrictions have borne it out too - closing non essential retail, hairdressers and pubs has had fuck all impact all the while schools and workplaces have carried on without restriction. Watch the rates now tumble in a few weeks now that schools are closed for 6-7 weeks

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:55 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Great post mate. By the way, I'm not blaming the kids for the spread in any shape or form. Mine are 20 and 16 and have behaved responsibly throughout the whole thing.

Whilst it may not have started in schools, unfortunately they provide a perfect breeding ground and so it has proved. Just look at the graphs today. Remember most things started easing up in June and for the whole period through to September the daily death toll was minimal, as were hospitalisations and in our local area we were down to 3 cases per 100,000 for several weeks. All that time, pubs were open as were restaurants, hairdressers, hotels, non essential retail. We are closing down places where the spread was minimal to start with. I felt much safer going round to our local curry house with the missus, sitting in a heavily sanitised environment with distance between all the tables - far safer than exposing 30 kids and a teacher to the same room, travelling on public transport and returning home. I'm afraid the statistical evidence is laid bare - almost within a fortnight of educational settings opening the rate started rising sharply and has never dropped since. Not the kids fault - just a fact of life

Tier 3 and 4 restrictions have borne it out too - closing non essential retail, hairdressers and pubs has had fuck all impact all the while schools and workplaces have carried on without restriction. Watch the rates now tumble in a few weeks now that schools are closed for 6-7 weeks
Personally I wouldn't feel safe indoors in any restaurant, most of them are not well ventilated and if they have ac theres a good chance the air is recirculated rather than extracted making them rife for superspreading events. There was an article about a restaurant in China where one infected person infected 9 others in just over one hour. The consensus in this country is pubs and restaurants are not responsible for any significant Covid spread, Personally I don't believe that and the eat out to help out scheme sowed the seeds of the autumn spikes imo.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... yms-hotels

This article sums things up pretty well for me,

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:59 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Personally I wouldn't feel safe indoors in any restaurant, most of them are not well ventilated and if they have ac theres a good chance the air is recirculated rather than extracted making them rife for superspreading events. There was an article about a restaurant in China where one infected person infected 9 others in just over one hour. The consensus in this country is pubs and restaurants are not responsible for any significant Covid spread, Personally I don't believe that and the eat out to help out scheme sowed the seeds of the autumn spikes imo.

If that logic applies to restaurants it almost certainly applies to schools - buildings that are often decades old with either no air con, or insufficient air con and lack of ventilation.....with kids much more densely crammed in than they are in any restaurant I've been to. Not denying there is a risk, but absolutely no evidence in this country of being a source of multiple outbreaks in the way that workplace and educational settings have been

I maintain that if home schooling had continued throughout 2020, we wouldn't be anywhere near as far up the curve as we are now.

I can't believe home schooling for teenagers in particular is any more difficult than it has been for companies training young apprentices via Teams/Zoom, or thousands of younger people in their first role who have lost the ability to have face to face mentoring and guidance. There are people working from home aged 18......but apparently we couldn't trust universities to teach online for 18+ age group?? The spread of the virus in universities was well publicised and undeniable

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

I’ve not eaten in a restaurant since COVID hit, but have collected takeaways from chippy, pub and Chinese, etc

In the run up to Christmas friends we’re going to the cinema, which is another closed environment that surely is not safe, even with less people in the seats.

Cant understand people willing to take their kids out for “a treat “, which could end up costing a life, somewhere along the line.

I’ve been quite happy staying in and eating shitloads of Christmas food that we got in prior to tier 4 being announced.

Over 1,000 deaths today, shows we are a long,long way from being through this.

Stay safe, take care and up the Arsenal :barscarf:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

StuartL wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:35 pm
I’ve not eaten in a restaurant since COVID hit, but have collected takeaways from chippy, pub and Chinese, etc

In the run up to Christmas friends we’re going to the cinema, which is another closed environment that surely is not safe, even with less people in the seats.

Cant understand people willing to take their kids out for “a treat “, which could end up costing a life, somewhere along the line.

I’ve been quite happy staying in and eating shitloads of Christmas food that we got in prior to tier 4 being announced.

Over 1,000 deaths today, shows we are a long,long way from being through this.

Stay safe, take care and up the Arsenal :barscarf:
Can't understand why people are willing to take their kids out to the supermarket as a day trip. I totally understand single parents, as I am one, but the whole family including granny walking round a supermarket, masks around their chins, blows my mind every time. Seen it too often.

Stay safe Gooners.

augie

Post by augie »

Clearly I have a different perspective than most cos I want schools to be open for few reasons -

1. Over here we have already completely taken sports away from kids, so now when they take away school as well, what are they gonna do with their days ? Mental health has to be a factor here

2. I live in a rural area so this doesnt apply here as much, but when you go into the bigger towns you will still see groups of kids hanging around the streets, parks etc - there is no-one governing them as regards social distancing, masks etc, and SOME kids are more likely to get into trouble when they in groups (devil plays with idle mind)

3. Different schools have different practices and I know that, but these online/zoom classes are a myth imo - my lad is in leaving cert ( A level ) and the last time the schools lockdown he had fcuk all online classes. Last year our education system went with predicted grades as opposed to actually doing the exams, and some pupils are now switching off and not bothering cos they are expecting the same this summer. The education these kids are missing out on will affect their futures many years to come, and anyone thinking otherwise is deluded

4. This is my biggest gripe - over here the government announced wednesday that schools would reopen for 3 days a week for leaving cert classes and special needs students, but yesterday the teacher unions announced that their members would not be going back and the government did a u turn and backed down. Unlike many workers in retail industry these teachers will sit at home now on full pay instead of each of them doing 3-4 hours a week in a classroom. They argued that it isnt safe for them to work when most of the country is gone into lockdown - every day these teachers will go into supermarkets/shops and be served by workers that cannot stay at home. They will purchase bread baked by people in bakery that have to work, and buy milk and meats that were prepared and delivered by other workers. They will get up in the morning and receive post that will be delivered by post men and women who have to work, and their towns and houses will be protected by cops who have to work. I could go into hundreds more jobs that involve thousands more workers that those teachers just take for granted will be there to serve their needs, and yet those teachers will be paid big money to sit at home doing fcuk all. Get out ta fcuk you lazy b.astards :evil: :evil: :censored: :censored:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I think everyone needs to realise how contagious this new strain is - it’s like dealing with a new virus almost.

I know a few doctors and to be honest they have been quite laid back these past few months - not now, they are increasingly concerned by what they are seeing.
I really do fear for the hospitals - it is no exaggeration to say that London is literally on the brink of being overwhelmed by the sheer number of patients being admitted.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Media stories going round that the new Middlesex swamp is going to be a vaccine centre! :roll:

No feckng way am I going up that germ infested junkie ridden shitehole to get a jab :banghead: :banghead:

Looks like a trip to Excel in Docklands will be a safer bet! :mrgreen:

FOYS! :box:

nut flush gooner

London hospitals now being overwhelmed, I hope the people who couldn’t forgo one christmas are happy now. The worst thing is you could see this coming a mile off.

The virus is smashing the vaccine right now.

nut flush gooner

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:09 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:59 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

If that logic applies to restaurants it almost certainly applies to schools - buildings that are often decades old with either no air con, or insufficient air con and lack of ventilation.....with kids much more densely crammed in than they are in any restaurant I've been to. Not denying there is a risk, but absolutely no evidence in this country of being a source of multiple outbreaks in the way that workplace and educational settings have been

I maintain that if home schooling had continued throughout 2020, we wouldn't be anywhere near as far up the curve as we are now.

I can't believe home schooling for teenagers in particular is any more difficult than it has been for companies training young apprentices via Teams/Zoom, or thousands of younger people in their first role who have lost the ability to have face to face mentoring and guidance. There are people working from home aged 18......but apparently we couldn't trust universities to teach online for 18+ age group?? The spread of the virus in universities was well publicised and undeniable
An old school building would actually be better for ventilation because of its high ceilings and big windows which could ventilate each room easily. The newer schools like hospitals have much smaller windows, and indeed you cant even open some of the windows in the North Middlesex hospital. I just found out my nurse consultant and all her team there have been infected. Not surprised.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

North Middlesex Hospital is very close to the shithole in the swamplands, go to get a jab, but you'll catch covid first! :cussing:

Rather stay in the Gooner Valley & take my chances! :barscarf:

FOYS! :cussing: :box: :censored:

nut flush gooner

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:08 pm
North Middlesex Hospital is very close to the shithole in the swamplands, go to get a jab, but you'll catch covid first! :cussing:

Rather stay in the Gooner Valley & take my chances! :barscarf:

FOYS! :cussing: :box: :censored:
My nearest hospital, unfortunately, apart from Chase Farm or Barnet/Finchley.

With regards to shite hart lane, I would have my vaccine there no problem. Just one caveat they would have to put up with me donning a 71/2004 Arsenal top which I would take a selfie of inside the shithole. Now if that doesn't go viral nothing will!

1 in 20 got covid in some parts of London now. And younger people are ending up in ICU's. If we went with the herd immunity route, god knows what would have happened.