CoronaVirus / Adolf Putin / The Apocalypse etc

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by OneBardGooner »

wibble wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:22 pm
Well I got my vaccine about two weeks ago and no side effects so far!

The microchip beeping every half hour does get annoying though

That once happened when I swallowed a Casio wrist watch for a (very Drunken) Bet!

:? :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Clummo99 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:15 pm
I'll throw my opinion in fwiw :lol:

I'm not rushing into having the vaccine myself. Clinical trials are all well and good but true testing comes in the real world and there just hasn't been enough time passed to even remotely asses that. It's already been stated by the government's chief science advisor that the initial Pfizer jab could be as low as 30% effective.

I've turned down one appointment for Pfizer already. When I do finally decide that the time is right I'll be opting for the Oxford Astrazeneca vaccine.

I don't consider this selfish or irresponsible. On the contrary, I think it prudent.

I am entitled to a free Flu jab every year because of my health but have never taken up the offer. As someone that has had proper Influenza (not just a heavy cold) maybe twice in my 53 years I don't feel the need to have a jab that protects me from it.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I just want to make sure I'm making the correct decision and feel only time spent observing the vaccines can allow me to best make that decision.

Anyone talking about microchips in vaccines deserve all they get though! :lol:
I can understand your thinking on that mate, sounds like a reasoned decision to me. Trouble is there is so much info being continually pumped out into the public arena that many people really don't have a clue what the fleck is actually true or what is going on.

Also, what I do find annoying is that the government has changed its stance (again) regarding the Pfizer vaccine; Pfizer advised that the second jab should be given 6 weeks after the first jab, but Boris the Bungler initially extended that to 8 weeks and now to 12 weeks, and it's obvious that the reason for that is that he wants the Stats to show that a larger number of people have had the "vaccine" (even though it is only one of a required two) so it looks like the government are doing better than they actually are. Even the top medical advisers have said it should be 6 weeks.

My elder sister is in her 70's and she is due to have hers in the next few weeks, but as yet they haven't said which vaccine it will be.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Clummo99 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:15 pm
I'll throw my opinion in fwiw :lol:

I'm not rushing into having the vaccine myself. Clinical trials are all well and good but true testing comes in the real world and there just hasn't been enough time passed to even remotely asses that. It's already been stated by the government's chief science advisor that the initial Pfizer jab could be as low as 30% effective.

I've turned down one appointment for Pfizer already. When I do finally decide that the time is right I'll be opting for the Oxford Astrazeneca vaccine.

I don't consider this selfish or irresponsible. On the contrary, I think it prudent.

I am entitled to a free Flu jab every year because of my health but have never taken up the offer. As someone that has had proper Influenza (not just a heavy cold) maybe twice in my 53 years I don't feel the need to have a jab that protects me from it.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I just want to make sure I'm making the correct decision and feel only time spent observing the vaccines can allow me to best make that decision.

Anyone talking about microchips in vaccines deserve all they get though! :lol:
I actually prefer the Pfizer one because its efficacy is clearer at 95%, and its not the whole virus being injected but the spike protein. The body then programs itself to produce antibodies and T cells to fight the virus if you are exposed. The actual vaccine itself leaves the body.

I don’t like AZN because its a inactivated live vaccine that has a much lower efficacy than Pfizer meaning you have more chance of catching the disease and potentially be infectious. They really fucked up when they initially announced the efficacy and for that reason it put me right off. My local GP has the Pfizer jab in, and hopefully I will be sorted within the next few weeks.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

That’s of course as long as we get enough supply of the Pfizer jab to do the second one . The way things are brewing we might find our supply curtailed

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

That’s of course as long as we get enough supply of the Pfizer jab to do the second one . The way things are brewing we might find our supply curtailed

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

the astrazeneca one should be fine for the younger, but over 60's its allegedly not very effective at all. german tabloids saying as low as 8% in the oldest bracket.

coud be BS, but there something a bit weird about the effectiveness stats for it, produced by themselves. they even cocked up the clinical trials and said the figures first published 60% or something, were incorrect. its probably all fine but seems a bit odd they could have messed the figures up.

Still the EU are keen to get their dirty mits on it!

the pfizer 2nd jab delay is a worry as no one knows how effective it will be with such a delay. my folks both have had pfizer jabs in last few days, but its also a worry if there will be supplies for the 2nd jab as the eu are playing politics with it and threatening not to allow exports, simply cos they have majorly cocked up and dont want to lose anymore face for their abysmal rollout, which just highlights all thats wrong with the organisation.

how they are behaving with astrazeneca is disgusting. they dont recognise first come first served... so screw you everyone who got their arse in gear and ordered/approved the vaccine months ago, we will just jump to the front. everyone who has ordered it will be impacted by delays faced by both pfizer and astrazenaca (not a surprise given the unprecedented demand, roll out and new product), but the EU are turning it political and threatening the rest of the world. i wonder if the astrazeneca vaccine was not mostly produced here and wasnt a UK/Swedish company they would be doing this.

btw, OBG tell me that didnt include the strap???

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

i wouldnt worry too much about not getting a second jab - the 1st one should give enough protection for now.
what you have to remember is that we will all probably need a vaccination every year from now on anyway.

I'm disgusted that the government is not quarantining all airline arrivals in hotels.
what is the point in just doing it for a few countries ?
if someone is coming back from Portugal for example you just drive to Spain and fly back from there.

as for this fuss about schools reopening well maybe if we had been locked down better these last few months and not been so preoccupied with meeting up at Christmas wer could have reopened schools by now.

the softer the lockdown the longer it goes on - I would have thought that this was fairly obvious by now.
time to start following what the Asian countries are doing and Australia/New Zealand.
WE ARE AN ISLAND - WE NEED TO START USING THAT TO OUR ADVANTAGE

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:40 pm
i wouldnt worry too much about not getting a second jab - the 1st one should give enough protection for now.
what you have to remember is that we will all probably need a vaccination every year from now on anyway.

I'm disgusted that the government is not quarantining all airline arrivals in hotels.
if someone is coming back from Portugal for example you just drive to Spain and fly back from there.

as for this fuss about schools reopening well maybe if we had been locked down better these last few months and not been so preoccupied with meeting up at Christmas wer could have reopened schools by now.

the softer the lockdown the longer it goes on - I would have thought that this was fairly obvious by now.
time to start following what the Asian countries are doing and Australia/New Zealand.

There is a lot to admire about new zealand's reaction to this covid, but it also needs to be recognised that they still have it in the country despite going 2 weeks without any new cases back in the summer. Yes the numbers are extremely low when compared to rest of the world, but is there still some sanctions in place over there ? I honestly do not believe that it is possible to open up the country again without an acceptance that numbers will rise, and you cannot keep locking down the countries (although I believe that is the preferred option of the Irish government at least :roll: :censored: )

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

augie wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:15 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:

There is a lot to admire about new zealand's reaction to this covid, but it also needs to be recognised that they still have it in the country despite going 2 weeks without any new cases back in the summer. Yes the numbers are extremely low when compared to rest of the world, but is there still some sanctions in place over there ? I honestly do not believe that it is possible to open up the country again without an acceptance that numbers will rise, and you cannot keep locking down the countries (although I believe that is the preferred option of the Irish government at least :roll: :censored: )
they just quarantine all new arrivals for a couple of weeks and then let them in. job done.
everyone already there able to live as normal - music festivals, sporting events etc all with thousands of people. economy running as normal.
ok they are stuck there but then again so are we! only difference is we don't even have any freedom in our own country and the economy is fucked.

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:39 pm
augie wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:15 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:

they just quarantine all new arrivals for a couple of weeks and then let them in. job done.
everyone already there able to live as normal - music festivals, sporting events etc all with thousands of people. economy running as normal.
ok they are stuck there but then again so are we! only difference is we don't even have any freedom in our own country and the economy is fucked.

69 positive cases in new zealand - again I totally agree that it is a pittance compared to the rest of us, but only a few months ago they went couple of weeks with zero cases.
I know that (thank's to boris :wink: ) the uk thinks that it can survive just fine and dandy on their own, but the reality is that no country can do that - we have cosmopolitan workforces, goods for sale coming from all over the world, and all need some freedom of movement. Walk around any marks and spencers or tesco's are any of the big supermarkets in Ireland right now and you will see loads of bare shelves where they cannot get supplies from english suppliers, and that is from brexit not covid - english exports will go through the basement if this continues never mind if it gets worse due to covid travel shutdown, and english businesses will close down if they cannot get supplies from other countries.

augie

Post by augie »

Over here, in the first two weeks of January 1500 people flew into our country from brazil alone with no enforced quarantine - meanwhile as an Irishman I cannot play sports, attend sports, cannot go to the pub or go out for something to eat, cannot get to a barbers to get a haircut, cannot go to a clothes shop, cannot go any more than 5km from my house, cannot visit my friends, and cannot get my sons an education. We are being told that we should forget about going on a sun holiday this year (they can fcuk right off with that :evil: ), and meanwhile our leader is planning a trip to the white house for paddy's day :roll:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

the playing mantis wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:08 pm
the astrazeneca one should be fine for the younger, but over 60's its allegedly not very effective at all. german tabloids saying as low as 8% in the oldest bracket.

coud be BS, but there something a bit weird about the effectiveness stats for it, produced by themselves. they even cocked up the clinical trials and said the figures first published 60% or something, were incorrect. its probably all fine but seems a bit odd they could have messed the figures up.

Still the EU are keen to get their dirty mits on it!

the pfizer 2nd jab delay is a worry as no one knows how effective it will be with such a delay. my folks both have had pfizer jabs in last few days, but its also a worry if there will be supplies for the 2nd jab as the eu are playing politics with it and threatening not to allow exports, simply cos they have majorly cocked up and dont want to lose anymore face for their abysmal rollout, which just highlights all thats wrong with the organisation.

how they are behaving with astrazeneca is disgusting. they dont recognise first come first served... so screw you everyone who got their arse in gear and ordered/approved the vaccine months ago, we will just jump to the front. everyone who has ordered it will be impacted by delays faced by both pfizer and astrazenaca (not a surprise given the unprecedented demand, roll out and new product), but the EU are turning it political and threatening the rest of the world. i wonder if the astrazeneca vaccine was not mostly produced here and wasnt a UK/Swedish company they would be doing this.

btw, OBG tell me that didnt include the strap???

Only one side of the strap, the non-buckle bit, nearly choked but won the £250 AND half a pound of the best Red Lebanese (worth about £2k back then) I have ever known; all in the past now of course. :? Those were the days <sigh> when parties would start on a Friday lunch time - not bothering to go back to work from the pub in the afternoon and wake up somewhere other than home on Monday morning and go straight to work (if possible) :ihh:

Talking of which anyone heard from Hlebby???

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

augie wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:06 pm
, cannot get to a barbers to get a haircut,
not to trivialize matters but based on years on here i understood that wasn't an issue for your goodself?!

augie

Post by augie »

Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:12 pm
augie wrote:
not to trivialize matters but based on years on here i understood that wasn't an issue for your goodself?!

Get a head shave (zero) every 3 weeks buddy - leads to questions and suggestions of baldness, but it is a small price to pay for comfort 8)

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:43 pm
Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:12 pm
augie wrote:

Get a head shave (zero) every 3 weeks buddy - leads to questions and suggestions of baldness, but it is a small price to pay for comfort 8)
cough bullshit cough bald bastard cough :lol: :wink: