CoronaVirus / Adolf Putin / The Apocalypse etc

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunner Rob

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by Gunner Rob »

U.K. currently has highest COVID death rate per person in the world.

I can just about excuse them when they were caught cold last year, but 10 months on?
Come on!

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

It's the people Rob. They just won't listen to the advice or follow the guidelines. Did you see the reports on the news about the amount of people on Southsea seafront yesterday? And that's just one costal resort from hundreds around the country.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/health/cor ... 7BLxnBZ2fU

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:30 pm
subtleasaheadbutt wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:23 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:23 pm
JesusWept, just heard on Radio 4 news, that hospital admissions of COVID Patients across England is every 30 seconds....

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone will be left who hasn't caught this awful thing? :cry:
Manuel almunia still in the uk? Could guarantee that fùcker still couldn't catch anything.
Tbh 15 years ago I moved to nz and these days I'm thankful I did. Lock us up for 4 weeks and life is back to normal. Really is hard from over here to comprehend eat is happening in the world outside.
try explaining that to Nutflush Gooner.
He doesnt appear to understand that logic.

it is fairly obvious now and has been for the past 10 months, that in addition to a lockdown you actually have to make your borders secure, otherwise it won't really work!
FINALLY today this appears to be happening here. You must think we are all nuts, I certainly do and would argue that the number of deaths under government makes them criminally incompetent.
Never mind, the right wing media has brainwashed most people over here into thinking that 1,000+ deaths each day from COViD is normal. :roll:
You obviously haven’t read what I said about lockdown Rob, the one thing I am disputing about the last few posts you have made that is inaccurate is suggesting that a short lockdown prevents recessions.

New Zealand whilst being a model for lockdown, isn’t on the doorstep of a large continent. Nor is it an international hub for business. It didn't lock down for only four weeks either.

Lockdown as an instrument needs to be used in a different way, depending on the behaviour of the population. Taiwan didn't need to fully lockdown because they had a compliant population who wore masks immediately amongst other things, when the outbreak began in Wuhan. New Zealand is also like Australia in the middle of summer, the risk of infection spread is much lower over there as respiratory diseases generally thrive in winter months.

You also have an inability to accept things would be just as bad under a Labour govt. If you think Boris is a ditherer, Corbyn wouldnt have the balls to tell people what to do. He couldn't even control his own party remember. The anti maskers/vaxxers would have a field day. I suspect Starmer may be more decisive but he wouldn't be PM would he if Labour won the General Election.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:08 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
subtleasaheadbutt wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:
JesusWept, just heard on Radio 4 news, that hospital admissions of COVID Patients across England is every 30 seconds....

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone will be left who hasn't caught this awful thing? :cry:
Manuel almunia still in the uk? Could guarantee that fùcker still couldn't catch anything.
Tbh 15 years ago I moved to nz and these days I'm thankful I did. Lock us up for 4 weeks and life is back to normal. Really is hard from over here to comprehend eat is happening in the world outside.

it is fairly obvious now and has been for the past 10 months, that in addition to a lockdown you actually have to make your borders secure, otherwise it won't really work!
FINALLY today this appears to be happening here. You must think we are all nuts, I certainly do and would argue that the number of deaths under government makes them criminally incompetent.
Never mind, the right wing media has brainwashed most people over here into thinking that 1,000+ deaths each day from COViD is normal. :roll:
You obviously haven’t read what I said about lockdown Rob, the one thing I am disputing about the last few posts you have made that is inaccurate is suggesting that a short lockdown prevents recessions.

New Zealand whilst being a model for lockdown, isn’t on the doorstep of a large continent. Nor is it an international hub for business. It didn't lock down for only four weeks either.

Lockdown as an instrument needs to be used in a different way, depending on the behaviour of the population. Taiwan didn't need to fully lockdown because they had a compliant population who wore masks immediately amongst other things, when the outbreak began in Wuhan. New Zealand is also like Australia in the middle of summer, the risk of infection spread is much lower over there as respiratory diseases generally thrive in winter months.

You also have an inability to accept things would be just as bad under a Labour govt. If you think Boris is a ditherer, Corbyn wouldnt have the balls to tell people what to do. He couldn't even control his own party remember. The anti maskers/vaxxers would have a field day. I suspect Starmer may be more decisive but he wouldn't be PM would he if Labour won the General Election.
you realise that despite spending £23 billion on a test and trace system we currently have the highest death rate from COVID in the world ?
anyone thinking that things would be just as bad under anyone else is totally deluded.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:52 pm
It's the people Rob. They just won't listen to the advice or follow the guidelines. Did you see the reports on the news about the amount of people on Southsea seafront yesterday? And that's just one costal resort from hundreds around the country.

no its not the people breaking the rules, its just that the rules are not tough enough.
they never have been, and thats why we are doing so badly.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:16 am
Clummo99 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:52 pm

no its not the people breaking the rules, its just that the rules are not tough enough.
they never have been, and thats why we are doing so badly.
The rules/laws/guidance don't need to be tough. At the end of the day it's about personal responsibility. I have never needed to be reminded to social distance or sanitise my hands when I go out. I'm responsible enough to just do it for the greater good. It's common sense.

When I go to the supermarket I sanitise the trolly and my hands before I go in. Whilst I'm doing this it's absolutely shocking the amount of people that just walk past me without even giving the sanitising stations a second glance!

It's not about politics, it's about doing what is right to see us all through this in the best way possible.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

It's a combination of the two , the suggestions are not rules and are not being adhered to anyway and not enforced .
Here on the North Norfolk coast the second home invasion from London and Essex has filled the Kings Lynn and Norfolk and Norwich hospitals. Both overbrimming with very high death rates which is strange when latest figures show North Norfolk to have only 290 cases per 100,000 of the local population ,
Yet 30 people have died at the N&N in the last week according to BBC Look East . Whereas at the Queen Elizabeth Kings Lynn " the total death toll at the hospital since the start of the pandemic rose to 257, with 54 of them being recorded this week." from Lynn news 15th January.
The scenes at Southsea are not unique and as much as I can understand the desire to get out of London , afterall I did it 35 years ago , Non adherence is spreading it .
It's not the people walking their dogs down country lanes for their hour a day . It's the visitors to Wells ,Sandringham , Southwold , Sheringham , Cromer etc.

nut flush gooner

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:15 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
subtleasaheadbutt wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

you realise that despite spending £23 billion on a test and trace system we currently have the highest death rate from COVID in the world ?
anyone thinking that things would be just as bad under anyone else is totally deluded.
What's that got to do with a discussion about the economy? No one disputes Test and Trace has been a farce but remember Labour bankrupted the economy the last time they were in power. You are soo politically biased when it comes to Brexit or COVID it's not true.

Clueless Corbyn would have presided over just as many deaths as Bungling Boris, they are both Libertarians at heart. Strong leadership is not a quality of either of them.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I see that Corbyn has joined forces with the World health Organisation and is talking about vaccine nationalism . However his first comment is that the UK having ordered 40 million Pfizer and 100 million Astra Zeneca shots , does not have enough to vaccinate the population with both doses.
Either he knows more about his parties open door policies or as we have a population nearing 70 million . or has Diane got his calculator again. ?

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Another 26 at the N and N announced today . If they are all local there will be no-one left

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:04 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:
subtleasaheadbutt wrote:

What's that got to do with a discussion about the economy? No one disputes Test and Trace has been a farce but remember Labour bankrupted the economy the last time they were in power. You are soo politically biased when it comes to Brexit or COVID it's not true.

Clueless Corbyn would have presided over just as many deaths as Bungling Boris, they are both Libertarians at heart. Strong leadership is not a quality of either of them.
The Test and Trace system has got everything to do with the economy - until it works better we can't fully reopen up our economy.
Boris has gambled everything on the vaccine and today we are starting to see delays.

Realistically if you just gamble everything on the vaccine then restrictions here in the UK are unlikely to be lifted very much before June, which will be a disaster for many businesses.

I am not sure why you keep going on about the Labour party and Corbyn. Labour are not in power and Corbyn is (thankfully) long gone.
This is all on the Tories and they need to be held to account far more than they have been.
To say things might have been worse under Labour is quite frankly pathetic.

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

delays? no news of vaccine delays, other than the global pfizer changes.

rob i'm afraid your views on this, are naive at best and willfully contrary at worst, you let you brexit and anti tory agenda drive your opinion, whilst ignoring basic facts of how countries, economies and life work. what about the mental well being, what about suicide rates to name just 2 factors of your proposed lockdown solutions. its very easy if you dont understand or willfully ignore the wider implications to say shut everything down straight away for months. you can never open up again until the rest of the world eradicate the virus. comparisons with the antipodes are pointless. we are a global multinational country at the centre of world commerce and movement they are not.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

At least the Brexit thread won't be lonely eh lads! :lol: :wink:

nut flush gooner

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:04 am
nut flush gooner wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:04 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
nut flush gooner wrote:
Gunner Rob wrote:

The Test and Trace system has got everything to do with the economy - until it works better we can't fully reopen up our economy.
Boris has gambled everything on the vaccine and today we are starting to see delays.

Realistically if you just gamble everything on the vaccine then restrictions here in the UK are unlikely to be lifted very much before June, which will be a disaster for many businesses.

I am not sure why you keep going on about the Labour party and Corbyn. Labour are not in power and Corbyn is (thankfully) long gone.
This is all on the Tories and they need to be held to account far more than they have been.
To say things might have been worse under Labour is quite frankly pathetic.
Test and Trace only works if you have a compliant population, it's just a tad naive to expect one measure to dig us out of this hole.

Open your eyes and look all over Social Media it's not only full of conspiracists but also scientists that are against the principle of lockdown. Michael Yeadon, former Pfizer executive has relentlessly been tweeting since the pandemic began and has thousands of followers. Can you not appreciate how dangerous it is to have someone so well qualified, go against the company who is supposed to get us out of the shit with their vaccine?

The Germans got Test and Trace set up pretty early in the first wave, and now they are relying on a superior healthcare system to save lives because their population has had enough of lockdown. There are widescale protests against it across the country. The Asians, having experience of dealing with previous outbreaks of a similar virus have through compliance of their people combined with technology kept deaths down to a minimum. COVID severity is also down to lifestyle. The Japanese eat a shed ton of seafood, full of vitamin D. Some scientists have suggested that this may one reason they have a fraction of the deaths. Here in the UK we are more likely to go down the pub than into a sushi bar.

Clummo is right, for all the failings of the Govt. this is down to the people now. When Boris offered us all 3 household gatherings at Christmas why did people not come to a consensus with their families that just for one year it wouldn't be a good idea to get together. I will tell you, pure selfishness and not having the ability to see further than their own life bubbles. It was so fucking obvious the death rate would shoot up.

I have been slammed on this thread for having a go at the Conservatives, but by the same token would Labour have honestly done any better. And I have never seen you say anything negative about Corbyn on the Brexit thread, ever. So to hear you say you are glad that he has gone now, blows my mind. To me it's ideology over individual principles. Thats why I think that Corbyn would have presided over just as bad a shit shower as Boris. And I didn't say things would be worse, no one knows for sure. We can only base our opinions on form.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

The reasons we are in this second wave; which has now become worse than the initial wave & Covid Lockdown is a combination of things:

If Boris the Bungler, Cove the inspidCunt & Co had done their job properly and acted straight away, as in when they Knew 100% that the virus which had already ravaged large swathes of ares in China, was doing the same in Italy & Spain and fast heading out across Europe, it could have been reduced (not stopped) at that point in time, which in turn would have given more time to the NHS and every other medical agency to gear up with adequate PPE etc
STOPPED people entering and leaving the country Full Stop - No Excuses.

Had the same rules apply to all of the UK, instead of decisions etc being left to the (so called) leaders of Wales, Scotland and Ireland, so that everyone was clear what they could and could not do. (The confusion in this has contributed greatly to the pandemic not being reduced)

Also as a back-up measure kept the Field Hospitals should have been kept in place for the likelihood of the second wave.

The Lock-down restrictions should have been more severe from the get go, with the police given clearer guidelines AND the power and measures to deal with and actually arrest & detain any fuckker not obeying them as well as huge fines likely to put them in poverty for the rest of their natural - all these fuckking SCUMBAG IDIOTS who have flouted the law at every opportunity might have thought twice about having a house party or going to the beach etc

It is a combination of very bad government and allowing people who have little or no sense or consideration for anyone else, other than themselves to be entrusted to their own Common Sense; which as we all know is something that only few people have these days.

If necessary; which it now looks like would have been the correct decision: Boris the Bungler should have put Martial Law in place. So forget all these stupid twatts being allowed to 'Go for a Jog with the Dog' and taking a family stroll through the park with the dog NOT on the leash and Cove theCUNT whimpering on 'Please Use Common Sense' directives, far fewer people would now be Dead, their Loved Ones grieving and perhaps even Businesses being able to be in a more stable position to operate.

Bad Government and Selfish Idiotic Cunnts are the two main reasons People are still dying at such high numbers every friggin day. :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: