CoronaVirus / Adolf Putin / The Apocalypse etc

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GoonerMuzz

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by GoonerMuzz »

How would we have fed ourselves?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:46 pm
More coming now . Just a thought .. How come the Taliban aren't dropping like flies. ?
They will be now. They were isolated in the mountains for years.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

170 UK COVID deaths today - the climb continues.

Increasingly amazed everyone just seems to think that we are back to normal.
Might be a long winter ahead.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Very much so Rob , In my holiday area the only people wearing masks in shops are the locals . As far as the visitors are concerned it's all over and done with.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:56 pm
A11M11 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:46 pm
More coming now . Just a thought .. How come the Taliban aren't dropping like flies. ?
They will be now. They were isolated in the mountains for years.
Yeah! Just wait till they start shagging all the goats in the villages they have ransacked etc... That'll teach the murdering bastards :D

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:25 pm

The Covid virus and its ever evolving variants will still be with us this time next year. :cry:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:14 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:

The Covid virus and its ever evolving variants will still be with us this time next year. :cry:
Lambda variant apparently spreading quite quickly from South America.

This thing will be with us for a few years in some form or another.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:17 am
OneBardGooner wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:14 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:

Lambda variant apparently spreading quite quickly from South America.

This thing will be with us for a few years in some form or another.
I was beginning to think that lockdowns were a thing of the past, but if the Lambda variant gets to the UK this winter I think we will see further lockdowns unfortunately. Certainly be very surprised if full capacity crowds are allowed. (won't be much of an issue here at Arsenal of course :lol: )

augie

Post by augie »

Really dunno what to make of this

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... s-vaccine/

Should just inject them with the virus and get it over with - either they suffer hugely and see the need for vaccines, or they come out of it ok and have the immunity in their system for the next 6 months.
On a personal level I suppose I am leaning in the direction that their refusal should be unacceptable - catching it and/or spreading it to other members of the squad will have a direct impact on the team selections we can put out, and therefore can have a direct impact on results. Are the club entitled to not pay their wages and send them home if they are putting the performance and value of the club at risk ??

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

augie wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:16 am

Should just inject them with the virus and get it over with - either they suffer hugely and see the need for vaccines, or they come out of it ok and have the immunity in their system for the next 6 months.
On a personal level I suppose I am leaning in the direction that their refusal should be unacceptable - catching it and/or spreading it to other members of the squad will have a direct impact on the team selections we can put out, and therefore can have a direct impact on results. Are the club entitled to not pay their wages and send them home if they are putting the performance and value of the club at risk ??
You can't force people to take a vaccine ffs

augie

Post by augie »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:16 pm
augie wrote:

I know that but the reality is that unvaccinated people put other people at risk, and in a football team where the games must go ahead, that is negligent imo

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:26 pm
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
augie wrote:

I know that but the reality is that unvaccinated people put other people at risk, and in a football team where the games must go ahead, that is negligent imo
The fucking Sun rag. Leads with "Arsenal players refusing to get vaccinated". Claims Martinez-Lite has stated that certain players are refusing to get their vaccine and then quotes him not saying that at all ! :roll: :lol:

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

augie wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
augie wrote:

The reality is that vaccinated people are just as susceptible to catching Covid as the the unvaccinated are. A vaccinated person can catch a Covid off of a vaccinated person, or an unvaccinated person. The strain isn't different between catching it from a vaccinated or unvaccinated person. The vaccine isn't a preventative measure to stop the spread of Covid, it's to lessen the effects of Covid. It's a good idea and people should take up the opportunity if they want to, but let's not peddle notions that the unvaccinated are 'dangerous,' when the jabbed spread and catch the virus just as much.

The purpose of a vaccine,first and foremost, is the provide a benefit to the recipient. With regard to the Covid vaccine, the benefit is reduced risk of serious illness or death. Those who have had the jab, myself included, now stand to gain from the limited scope of benefit that the vaccine provides. Using myself as an example; given that I can still catch Covid, I'm still statistically better off because of the vaccine because it gives my body more edge to fight it off quicker. So, then how is an unvaccinated person any more a risk to me than an infected vaccinated person? Simply put, their not. The risk is theirs, for not having the jab. That's also their choice.

Herd immunity cannot be established from a vaccine that doesn't provide immunity, so until they can develope a vaccine that provides immunity, the only way to be sure that a memeber of the group is not infected is mass, and rigorous, testing. Until then, the vaccinated and unvaccinated remain at risk from Covid, just the same.

augie

Post by augie »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:33 pm
augie wrote:
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
augie wrote:

The reality is that vaccinated people are just as susceptible to catching Covid as the the unvaccinated are. A vaccinated person can catch a Covid off of a vaccinated person, or an unvaccinated person. The strain isn't different between catching it from a vaccinated or unvaccinated person. The vaccine isn't a preventative measure to stop the spread of Covid, it's to lessen the effects of Covid. It's a good idea and people should take up the opportunity if they want to, but let's not peddle notions that the unvaccinated are 'dangerous,' when the jabbed spread and catch the virus just as much.

The purpose of a vaccine,first and foremost, is the provide a benefit to the recipient. With regard to the Covid vaccine, the benefit is reduced risk of serious illness or death. Those who have had the jab, myself included, now stand to gain from the limited scope of benefit that the vaccine provides. Using myself as an example; given that I can still catch Covid, I'm still statistically better off because of the vaccine because it gives my body more edge to fight it off quicker. So, then how is an unvaccinated person any more a risk to me than an infected vaccinated person? Simply put, their not. The risk is theirs, for not having the jab. That's also their choice.

Herd immunity cannot be established from a vaccine that doesn't provide immunity, so until they can develope a vaccine that provides immunity, the only way to be sure that a memeber of the group is not infected is mass, and rigorous, testing. Until then, the vaccinated and unvaccinated remain at risk from Covid, just the same.

I make you partially right and partially wrong - yes the vaccine lowers the effects of covid, but it also lessens the risk of a person catching covid.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

I dont think anyone thinks that life is back to normal- more a case of people realising that they can't live like cavemen indefinitely

I remember when I sent my team home from work last March - we all thought we would be seeing each other a few weeks later.

People have missed family and friends for over a year, have largely observed public guidance, have sacrificed everything they enjoyed, have taken the vaccine (well 90pc of adults anyway)....and they've simply decided that they can't isolate forever and sacrifice everything worth living for endlessly

I thought my parents wouldn't set foot in a stadium given they are in their late 70s but went to the Chelsea game on Sunday. Its driven them mad being couped up indoors not seeing family. I think their view now is that if they gave up life's pleasures, then what is their to life?

You can live safely forever- find a job that allows you to never leave your house, get all your shopping delivered, never have visitors, wear a mask forever, never go on holiday. Unless you're a particular rare breed of person you'll wake up one day and wonder what the purpose to your life is