CoronaVirus Latest

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Post Reply
A11M11
Posts: 1524
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:07 am

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by A11M11 »

So public health England and King's college disagree on the numbers and that's not neccessarily unexpected . We have had Sage and independent Sage butting heads with different theories throughout. The government have long been accused of sending mixed messages since the beginning of this pandemic but now have issued a timeline which is clear that by 21st june things will be a lot more relaxed providing that there is no major surge in cases .
It might be an idea to stick to it and hold them to the light if their plan goes tit's up.

nut flush gooner
Posts: 3497
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:23 am

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by nut flush gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:53 am
A11M11 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:26 pm
quote What we know is that the top 9 categories of risk account for c.99% of the deaths and all of them would have received the first jab (which gives 80%+ effectiveness) by mid-April, unquote


One dose of a COVID-19 vaccine gives 67% protection after three weeks, a leading epidemiologist has said.

Professor Tim Spector of King's College London, who runs the ZOE COVID-19 surveillance app, said data collected from 50,000 users vaccinated with either the Pfizer or Oxford/AstraZeneca jab showed one dose gave 46% protection after two weeks, rising to 67% after three to six weeks.

The app uses information submitted by more than four million users across the world to predict and track coronavirus infections across the UK and other countries.

"We have now got about a third of a million people who have logged their first dose of the vaccine with us on the ZOE app," Prof Spector told Sky's Sophy Ridge on Sunday

Just saying.
Or......directly from PHE's report into vaccine effectiveness

"Hospitalisation rates were around 15% in unvaccinated
individuals in both populations. Among those who had had their first dose at least 14 days
previously, hospitalisation rates were 9% in those who had received the Pfizer vaccine and 8%
in those who had received AstraZeneca. The survival analysis showed 42% (Pfizer) and 35%
(AstraZeneca) reductions in the risk of hospitalisation among those who had been vaccinated
but became symptomatic, compared with those who had not although confidence intervals
around these estimates were broad and overlapping. Combined with the reduced risk of
becoming a case (Section 3) this is consistent with vaccine effectiveness against hospitalisation
of around 80%.
"

Remember there is a double impact - one you are less likely to contract the virus to start with, secondly if you do contract it you are less likely to be hospitalised. By the way - the 80% effectiveness against hospitalisation that they talk about is for the age group 80+

Just saying :wink:
For all the bad publicity surrounding the Astrazeneca jab, studies have reported 100% efficacy against hospitalisation and death.

The Pfizer jab is 94% against getting the disease in the first place. So if Steve and I sit in a pub having a slanging match about Arteta having both being vaccinated with this jab the risk of passing on infection is 6% compared with not far from 100% transmission risk without vaccines and we are not talking about a severe dose of covid here. We will both have antibodies that can mount an immune response which prevents severe infection.

Its time to sensibly get on with life, the season for respiratory illnesses is nearly over anyway the vaccines are working. I have my first haircut in a year booked for early May, Also planning on meeting up with mates for a nice Sunday Lunch when it gets warmer, have a ticket for the test match this summer, and fingers crossed back at the Emirates Stadium in August.

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 18907
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by SteveO 35 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:29 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:53 am
A11M11 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:26 pm
quote What we know is that the top 9 categories of risk account for c.99% of the deaths and all of them would have received the first jab (which gives 80%+ effectiveness) by mid-April, unquote


One dose of a COVID-19 vaccine gives 67% protection after three weeks, a leading epidemiologist has said.

Professor Tim Spector of King's College London, who runs the ZOE COVID-19 surveillance app, said data collected from 50,000 users vaccinated with either the Pfizer or Oxford/AstraZeneca jab showed one dose gave 46% protection after two weeks, rising to 67% after three to six weeks.

The app uses information submitted by more than four million users across the world to predict and track coronavirus infections across the UK and other countries.

"We have now got about a third of a million people who have logged their first dose of the vaccine with us on the ZOE app," Prof Spector told Sky's Sophy Ridge on Sunday

Just saying.
Or......directly from PHE's report into vaccine effectiveness

"Hospitalisation rates were around 15% in unvaccinated
individuals in both populations. Among those who had had their first dose at least 14 days
previously, hospitalisation rates were 9% in those who had received the Pfizer vaccine and 8%
in those who had received AstraZeneca. The survival analysis showed 42% (Pfizer) and 35%
(AstraZeneca) reductions in the risk of hospitalisation among those who had been vaccinated
but became symptomatic, compared with those who had not although confidence intervals
around these estimates were broad and overlapping. Combined with the reduced risk of
becoming a case (Section 3) this is consistent with vaccine effectiveness against hospitalisation
of around 80%.
"

Remember there is a double impact - one you are less likely to contract the virus to start with, secondly if you do contract it you are less likely to be hospitalised. By the way - the 80% effectiveness against hospitalisation that they talk about is for the age group 80+

Just saying :wink:
For all the bad publicity surrounding the Astrazeneca jab, studies have reported 100% efficacy against hospitalisation and death.

The Pfizer jab is 94% against getting the disease in the first place. So if Steve and I sit in a pub having a slanging match about Arteta having both being vaccinated with this jab the risk of passing on infection is 6% compared with not far from 100% transmission risk without vaccines and we are not talking about a severe dose of covid here. We will both have antibodies that can mount an immune response which prevents severe infection.

Its time to sensibly get on with life, the season for respiratory illnesses is nearly over anyway the vaccines are working. I have my first haircut in a year booked for early May, Also planning on meeting up with mates for a nice Sunday Lunch when it gets warmer, have a ticket for the test match this summer, and fingers crossed back at the Emirates Stadium in August.
That slanging match in the pub sounds like the stuff of dreams right now mate. Queued for 2 hours in the freezing cold for a haircut this morning, but thankfully the 80s style mullet has gone and replaced by the trimmed up SteveO look. If it had carried on growing much longer it would have been a Charlie Nicholas 1987 special !

gazzatt2
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Essex

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by gazzatt2 »

getting 2nd jab on Friday will be getting hair cut three weeks later not had it cut since early February 2020
contemplating get a Limal form Kajagoogoo pigtail as a reminder of the length :D

User avatar
Clummo99
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:09 pm

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by Clummo99 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:31 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:29 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:53 am
A11M11 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:26 pm
quote What we know is that the top 9 categories of risk account for c.99% of the deaths and all of them would have received the first jab (which gives 80%+ effectiveness) by mid-April, unquote


One dose of a COVID-19 vaccine gives 67% protection after three weeks, a leading epidemiologist has said.

Professor Tim Spector of King's College London, who runs the ZOE COVID-19 surveillance app, said data collected from 50,000 users vaccinated with either the Pfizer or Oxford/AstraZeneca jab showed one dose gave 46% protection after two weeks, rising to 67% after three to six weeks.

The app uses information submitted by more than four million users across the world to predict and track coronavirus infections across the UK and other countries.

"We have now got about a third of a million people who have logged their first dose of the vaccine with us on the ZOE app," Prof Spector told Sky's Sophy Ridge on Sunday

Just saying.
Or......directly from PHE's report into vaccine effectiveness

"Hospitalisation rates were around 15% in unvaccinated
individuals in both populations. Among those who had had their first dose at least 14 days
previously, hospitalisation rates were 9% in those who had received the Pfizer vaccine and 8%
in those who had received AstraZeneca. The survival analysis showed 42% (Pfizer) and 35%
(AstraZeneca) reductions in the risk of hospitalisation among those who had been vaccinated
but became symptomatic, compared with those who had not although confidence intervals
around these estimates were broad and overlapping. Combined with the reduced risk of
becoming a case (Section 3) this is consistent with vaccine effectiveness against hospitalisation
of around 80%.
"

Remember there is a double impact - one you are less likely to contract the virus to start with, secondly if you do contract it you are less likely to be hospitalised. By the way - the 80% effectiveness against hospitalisation that they talk about is for the age group 80+

Just saying :wink:
For all the bad publicity surrounding the Astrazeneca jab, studies have reported 100% efficacy against hospitalisation and death.

The Pfizer jab is 94% against getting the disease in the first place. So if Steve and I sit in a pub having a slanging match about Arteta having both being vaccinated with this jab the risk of passing on infection is 6% compared with not far from 100% transmission risk without vaccines and we are not talking about a severe dose of covid here. We will both have antibodies that can mount an immune response which prevents severe infection.

Its time to sensibly get on with life, the season for respiratory illnesses is nearly over anyway the vaccines are working. I have my first haircut in a year booked for early May, Also planning on meeting up with mates for a nice Sunday Lunch when it gets warmer, have a ticket for the test match this summer, and fingers crossed back at the Emirates Stadium in August.
That slanging match in the pub sounds like the stuff of dreams right now mate. Queued for 2 hours in the freezing cold for a haircut this morning, but thankfully the 80s style mullet has gone and replaced by the trimmed up SteveO look. If it had carried on growing much longer it would have been a Charlie Nicholas 1987 special !
I actually had a Charlie Nicholas hairstyle in the late 80's out of choice! :shock: Still impressionable in my early 20's.

Sadly I no longer have much say in the matter. A number 1 is about it. :lol:

nut flush gooner
Posts: 3497
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:23 am

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by nut flush gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:31 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:29 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:53 am
A11M11 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:26 pm
quote What we know is that the top 9 categories of risk account for c.99% of the deaths and all of them would have received the first jab (which gives 80%+ effectiveness) by mid-April, unquote


One dose of a COVID-19 vaccine gives 67% protection after three weeks, a leading epidemiologist has said.

Professor Tim Spector of King's College London, who runs the ZOE COVID-19 surveillance app, said data collected from 50,000 users vaccinated with either the Pfizer or Oxford/AstraZeneca jab showed one dose gave 46% protection after two weeks, rising to 67% after three to six weeks.

The app uses information submitted by more than four million users across the world to predict and track coronavirus infections across the UK and other countries.

"We have now got about a third of a million people who have logged their first dose of the vaccine with us on the ZOE app," Prof Spector told Sky's Sophy Ridge on Sunday

Just saying.
Or......directly from PHE's report into vaccine effectiveness

"Hospitalisation rates were around 15% in unvaccinated
individuals in both populations. Among those who had had their first dose at least 14 days
previously, hospitalisation rates were 9% in those who had received the Pfizer vaccine and 8%
in those who had received AstraZeneca. The survival analysis showed 42% (Pfizer) and 35%
(AstraZeneca) reductions in the risk of hospitalisation among those who had been vaccinated
but became symptomatic, compared with those who had not although confidence intervals
around these estimates were broad and overlapping. Combined with the reduced risk of
becoming a case (Section 3) this is consistent with vaccine effectiveness against hospitalisation
of around 80%.
"

Remember there is a double impact - one you are less likely to contract the virus to start with, secondly if you do contract it you are less likely to be hospitalised. By the way - the 80% effectiveness against hospitalisation that they talk about is for the age group 80+

Just saying :wink:
For all the bad publicity surrounding the Astrazeneca jab, studies have reported 100% efficacy against hospitalisation and death.

The Pfizer jab is 94% against getting the disease in the first place. So if Steve and I sit in a pub having a slanging match about Arteta having both being vaccinated with this jab the risk of passing on infection is 6% compared with not far from 100% transmission risk without vaccines and we are not talking about a severe dose of covid here. We will both have antibodies that can mount an immune response which prevents severe infection.

Its time to sensibly get on with life, the season for respiratory illnesses is nearly over anyway the vaccines are working. I have my first haircut in a year booked for early May, Also planning on meeting up with mates for a nice Sunday Lunch when it gets warmer, have a ticket for the test match this summer, and fingers crossed back at the Emirates Stadium in August.
That slanging match in the pub sounds like the stuff of dreams right now mate. Queued for 2 hours in the freezing cold for a haircut this morning, but thankfully the 80s style mullet has gone and replaced by the trimmed up SteveO look. If it had carried on growing much longer it would have been a Charlie Nicholas 1987 special !
Infection rates are similar to last summer now so I expect things to open up as scheduled. The vaccines are working, although we will probably need a booster jab in the autumn to deal with the variants.

One thing we need though is the Brazilians to get their shit together, things are out of control there and we wont be safe until other countries sort themselves out.

nut flush gooner
Posts: 3497
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:23 am

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by nut flush gooner »

gazzatt2 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:51 pm
getting 2nd jab on Friday will be getting hair cut three weeks later not had it cut since early February 2020
contemplating get a Limal form Kajagoogoo pigtail as a reminder of the length :D
Im Sunday for my 2nd so it wasn't a full 12 week wait, more like 10 weeks. Full immunity is 2 weeks after the second jab though mate.

And yes having a haircut will be such a relief after using clippers for a year and generally making a right mess of my hair. I look like Keith out of the Prodigy!

A11M11
Posts: 1524
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:07 am

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by A11M11 »

Bolsonaro has yet publically not admitted that the virus is more than a severe influenza . Whilst he maintains that stance the rates of cases and mortality will increase.
Hate to say it but that might secretly be part of his plan to lower the population in the favelas.

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 18907
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by SteveO 35 »

I'm in the next tier down (45-49) so was able to go online and book both jabs this morning - brilliantly efficient process I have to say. First jab this Friday. Hoping that lots of people take up the option - in many ways this is the real test now, as most over 50s (90% I believe) have stepped forward and had their jabs, whilst I expect as it gets rolled down to the younger 'invincible' age groups there will be less take up

User avatar
OneBardGooner
Posts: 31037
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:41 am
Location: Dark Side Of The Mood

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by OneBardGooner »

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:33 pm
Bolsonaro has yet publically not admitted that the virus is more than a severe influenza . Whilst he maintains that stance the rates of cases and mortality will increase.
Hate to say it but that might secretly be part of his plan to lower the population in the favelas.
No secret plan about it mate, they saw COVID as an opportunity to rid their country of the poor, the gangs, the drug trade routes etc etc. Also it is well known that the wealthy in Brazil have all paid privately for their jabs ages ago...whilst the poor have been left to suffer and die.

Bolsonaro is an evil piece of filth... the poor have died in their thousands because of that despicable C.unt - When all this is over I hope someone takes the fuckker Out or that they find a way to bring charges against him, he really is a corrupt C.unt (allegedly). :banghead:

User avatar
augie
Posts: 27224
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by augie »

It's comical over here - well it would be if it wasnt so serious :roll:

1. A few days ago our government announced their daily number of new cases and deaths and announced that there were 33 deaths - of course that number of deaths is bad, but after further info was released it was revealed that only 3 of the deaths were even from this month, and that the majority of those deaths were from January and 3 of them from back in December. What the absolute fcuk is that ??? Bumping up the figures to keep people afraid ?? Disgraceful is what it is

2. From yesterday we are allowed meet up outdoors with people from one other household, but these meetings cannot be held in gardens - so meeting in yards must be ok but meeting up in gardens is dangerous ?? Who the fcuk comes up with this shit ??

User avatar
Clummo99
Posts: 857
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:09 pm

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by Clummo99 »

One of my neighbours won't let her daughter play out in the Close with the other kids cos the guidance doesn't allow it yet.

They're all the same class at school. :lol:

Gunner Rob
Posts: 6792
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by Gunner Rob »

augie wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:29 pm
It's comical over here - well it would be if it wasnt so serious :roll:

1. A few days ago our government announced their daily number of new cases and deaths and announced that there were 33 deaths - of course that number of deaths is bad, but after further info was released it was revealed that only 3 of the deaths were even from this month, and that the majority of those deaths were from January and 3 of them from back in December. What the absolute fcuk is that ??? Bumping up the figures to keep people afraid ?? Disgraceful is what it is

2. From yesterday we are allowed meet up outdoors with people from one other household, but these meetings cannot be held in gardens - so meeting in yards must be ok but meeting up in gardens is dangerous ?? Who the fcuk comes up with this shit ??
If you are not happy then vote them out at your next election

Gunner Rob
Posts: 6792
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by Gunner Rob »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:16 am
I'm in the next tier down (45-49) so was able to go online and book both jabs this morning - brilliantly efficient process I have to say. First jab this Friday. Hoping that lots of people take up the option - in many ways this is the real test now, as most over 50s (90% I believe) have stepped forward and had their jabs, whilst I expect as it gets rolled down to the younger 'invincible' age groups there will be less take up
Same here - I’m getting the jab today.
Very good easy to use system. Credit where it is due - this country is doing a great job rolling out the vaccine.

South African variant remains a concern with cases found in south London.
More of a problem though I think will be if the Brazil variant finds it way here.
The one I’m looking at is India where it finally seems to have blown up - 185,000 cases yesterday.
If it mutates in India expect problems - otherwise I think the vaccines will probably be the route out of all this.

User avatar
augie
Posts: 27224
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:14 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:16 am
I'm in the next tier down (45-49) so was able to go online and book both jabs this morning - brilliantly efficient process I have to say. First jab this Friday. Hoping that lots of people take up the option - in many ways this is the real test now, as most over 50s (90% I believe) have stepped forward and had their jabs, whilst I expect as it gets rolled down to the younger 'invincible' age groups there will be less take up
Same here - I’m getting the jab today.
Very good easy to use system. Credit where it is due - this country is doing a great job rolling out the vaccine.

South African variant remains a concern with cases found in south London.
More of a problem though I think will be if the Brazil variant finds it way here.
The one I’m looking at is India where it finally seems to have blown up - 185,000 cases yesterday.
If it mutates in India expect problems - otherwise I think the vaccines will probably be the route out of all this.



Vaccines were always gonna be the route out of this - world health organisation have been very clear from the outset that lockdowns will not work, and only gormless pricks and useless government c.unts thought that they would :roll: Pulling the curtains and hiding behind the sofa does not make the problem go away :oops:

Of course everything was always goona depend on the effectiveness and safety of the vaccines

Post Reply