CoronaVirus / Adolf Putin / The Apocalypse etc

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
SteveO 35

Re: CoronaVirus Latest

Post by SteveO 35 »

91% of the cases in this country now confirmed as the Indian (sorry Delta :banghead: ) variant

What more evidence is needed of the government's bungled border control attempts

Do go to Portugal, don't go to Portugal, don't let anyone leave the country, but allow everyone in India (the world's most infected country at the time) to have 10 day's notice to flood back to the UK with no monitored quarantine.

Absolute fuck up and now they're expected to delay 'freedom day' for up to a month killing off most of the hospitality sector, and burdening generations to come with a war like debt mountain

Fucking c.unts - and all done to avoid allegations of racism or stigma being attached to the 'Indian variant'

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:44 am
91% of the cases in this country now confirmed as the Indian (sorry Delta :banghead: ) variant

What more evidence is needed of the government's bungled border control attempts

Do go to Portugal, don't go to Portugal, don't let anyone leave the country, but allow everyone in India (the world's most infected country at the time) to have 10 day's notice to flood back to the UK with no monitored quarantine.

Absolute fuck up and now they're expected to delay 'freedom day' for up to a month killing off most of the hospitality sector, and burdening generations to come with a war like debt mountain

Fucking c.unts - and all done to avoid allegations of racism or stigma being attached to the 'Indian variant'
I don’t think it was a racism problem Steve. Boris was due to go to India to discuss a possible trade deal with their PM.

He was holding back on putting India on the red list for this reason. Of course he ended up not going to India when the cases/deaths exploded over there. By then the seeds had been sowed for cases to rise over here.

I don’t think there would be a huge rise in deaths in the short term if we opened on the 21st, but can see the caution with Boris, he's shitting himself that the Indian variant could mutate to another version where the efficacy of the vaccines is either lower or not effective at all. This would pan out over a number of months, and if deaths started rising Boris would start feeling the heat. Of course all of this is his own doing.

The rationale as far as I can see it is to get as many people vaccinated with 2nd doses to allow herd immunity to kick in. Keeping cases low is key.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

I know that I have criticised Boris Johnson probably more than most on here over the past few years, but really on this I just can't see how anyone can come to any other conclusion.

He was the only person in the country who had the power to shut the borders with India. He failed to do so.
The Indian variant has now taken off here and so we are unable to remove restrictions.

Incredibly, despite having a huge head start on the other European countries in terms of the vaccinations rollout this is now going to be wasted and other European countries will open up quicker than us. Embarrassing, not to mention the huge cost to the economy.

nut flush gooner

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:10 am
I know that I have criticised Boris Johnson probably more than most on here over the past few years, but really on this I just can't see how anyone can come to any other conclusion.

He was the only person in the country who had the power to shut the borders with India. He failed to do so.
The Indian variant has now taken off here and so we are unable to remove restrictions.

Incredibly, despite having a huge head start on the other European countries in terms of the vaccinations rollout this is now going to be wasted and other European countries will open up quicker than us. Embarrassing, not to mention the huge cost to the economy.
Not true Rob. There is huge pent up demand in the UK economy. Take a look at the US, we are a few months behind.

https://www.fnlondon.com/articles/uk-ec ... um=FINNEWS

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

"Freedom Day" is such an appallingly Generation W term. Yes the "W" stands for "Wànker".

Fucking snowflakes asked to stay indoors a bit and you'd swear they survived the Holocaust. Get a fucking grip you entitled snowflake cùnts. :roll:

the playing mantis

Post by the playing mantis »

spot on db, in uk at least, things seem pretty much back to normal in any town centre etc. apart from mass gatherings etc what freedoms are still being denied apart from overseas travel, which wont change until the world gets itself in order.

as for the indian variant, where is it prevalent and spreading from, yes all of those communities who are anti vacc and generally dont seem to give a shit, but no one will say anything for fear of being cancelled due to perceived racism or whatever the term is now.

although bojo should have closed borders asap, in the grand scheme of things i doubt it will have made much difference as its inevitable that this variant would have come in eventually and spread, just a matter of sooner or later, and it will no doubt spread everywhere until a more virulent mutation comes along and out competes it.

this will keep happening with new variants until the rest of the world vaccinates to high levels, or we close the borders to these unvaccinated countries indefinitely, until they do vaccinate. neither of which will happen in short/medium term sadly. we just have to hope that it doesn't mutate to a form that negates the impact of vaccines to a harmful extent. other than completely stop overseas travel which wont happen for all manner of political and economic reasons we can just sit here and hope for the best and do our best to minimize the spread, somehting that a lot of folk have stopped doing..no one seems to sanitise in shops and mask wearing is definitely down fro what i see as is respect for social distancing.

nut flush gooner

the playing mantis wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:37 pm
spot on db, in uk at least, things seem pretty much back to normal in any town centre etc. apart from mass gatherings etc what freedoms are still being denied apart from overseas travel, which wont change until the world gets itself in order.

as for the indian variant, where is it prevalent and spreading from, yes all of those communities who are anti vacc and generally dont seem to give a shit, but no one will say anything for fear of being cancelled due to perceived racism or whatever the term is now.

although bojo should have closed borders asap, in the grand scheme of things i doubt it will have made much difference as its inevitable that this variant would have come in eventually and spread, just a matter of sooner or later, and it will no doubt spread everywhere until a more virulent mutation comes along and out competes it.

this will keep happening with new variants until the rest of the world vaccinates to high levels, or we close the borders to these unvaccinated countries indefinitely, until they do vaccinate. neither of which will happen in short/medium term sadly. we just have to hope that it doesn't mutate to a form that negates the impact of vaccines to a harmful extent. other than completely stop overseas travel which wont happen for all manner of political and economic reasons we can just sit here and hope for the best and do our best to minimize the spread, somehting that a lot of folk have stopped doing..no one seems to sanitise in shops and mask wearing is definitely down fro what i see as is respect for social distancing.
Thats a bit of a sweeping statement saying Asians are anti vaxxers, and yes you should be outed if you have those views without facts to back it up.

And giving Boris a pass doesn't wash with me either. Going by your logic the Indian variant would have spread across continental Europe by now, which its hasnt.

The link below shows take up amongst South Asians being 80% or more from age 50. I think you will find its deprivation as much as ethnicity that is the driver behind vaccine hesitancy.

Don’t forget 70% is the magic number after two doses for Herd Immunity to kick in. We are not quite there yet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55274833

the playing mantis

Im not saying all asians NBG! but certain facets of those communities are. thats undeniable.

likewise the variant is spreading from areas of high asian population, obviously as they have brought it back with them in the mad rush back from the sub continent, but also the way many in those places live and the attitudes some have, and those same areas have often had high levels and been clusters throughout this pandemic at various times. Deprivation impacts too obviously, but then its a discussion of cause and effect. i think its its fair to say certain areas of society, of all creeds/colors are more prone to these hotspots, and they are typically the more deprived areas, but again cause and effect. is the virus spreading because they are deprived or the same reasons that mean their deprived mean their more prone to the virus (in the white 'underclasses' case because they are facking idiots who cant be arsed to follow hardly draconian and simply enough rules, space, mask, sanitise etc.

i well imagine you will hammer me on this, but so be it!

as for the spread of the indian variant on the continent, i didn't know it hadnt taken off, but would imagine it will be a matter of time, as the kent variant did eventually didnt it?

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:05 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:44 am

I don’t think it was a racism problem Steve. Boris was due to go to India to discuss a possible trade deal with their PM.

He was holding back on putting India on the red list for this reason. Of course he ended up not going to India when the cases/deaths exploded over there. By then the seeds had been sowed for cases to rise over here.

I don’t think there would be a huge rise in deaths in the short term if we opened on the 21st, but can see the caution with Boris, he's shitting himself that the Indian variant could mutate to another version where the efficacy of the vaccines is either lower or not effective at all. This would pan out over a number of months, and if deaths started rising Boris would start feeling the heat. Of course all of this is his own doing.

The rationale as far as I can see it is to get as many people vaccinated with 2nd doses to allow herd immunity to kick in. Keeping cases low is key.
Yes think it was a bit of both...a trade deal in the offing, a planned visit to India....and avoiding any flak over percieved racism
The point being he fucked up big time, and all that after the great success of the vacination rollout

the playing mantis

yep he did f up, but and excuse my ignorance, how is this delay impacting most people? (this is a genuine question, not one of me saying people have nothing to moan about, im genuinely ignorant of the current restrictions other than mass gatherings inside and overseas travel) from a position of isolated ignorance, its not impacting me or anyone i know one bit, things seem back to normal in east anglia, other than things which will take years to go away, masks, sanitizer , space, so genuinly curious other than foreign travel and certain facets of hospitality what is the big gripe?

appreciate this is a case of i'm alright jack, but for the majority of the people is this delay actually impacting them in a big way?

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:04 pm
yep he did f up, but and excuse my ignorance, how is this delay impacting most people? (this is a genuine question, not one of me saying people have nothing to moan about, im genuinely ignorant of the current restrictions other than mass gatherings inside and overseas travel) from a position of isolated ignorance, its not impacting me or anyone i know one bit, things seem back to normal in east anglia, other than things which will take years to go away, masks, sanitizer , space, so genuinly curious other than foreign travel and certain facets of hospitality what is the big gripe?

appreciate this is a case of i'm alright jack, but for the majority of the people is this delay actually impacting them in a big way?
Well for starters you can’t just wander into a pub and watch an England match.
I’ve got tickets for a couple of sporting events in the next month which are unlikely now not to go ahead.

This is all about the fact that you need 2 shots of the vaccine against the Indian variant - a variant which should not even be in the country. It hasn’t reached mainland Europe much, and they are now starting to open up, despite being way behind us with vaccinations.

the playing mantis

Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:36 pm
Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:04 pm

Well for starters you can’t just wander into a pub and watch an England match.
I’ve got tickets for a couple of sporting events in the next month which are unlikely now not to go ahead.
i see that as a benefit of the extension!

couldnt think of anything worse than cheering on 'our boys' who i hope snap a cruciate most weeks...

re. indian variant, did the kent variant not become dominant on continent eventually (or was kent variant the original)? surely the nature of the most effective variant of a vrius means it will eventually become the dominant variety no matter what restrictions are imposed?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

The Indian variant is in Oireland big time now. My sister in law works for the HSE at a vaccination centre. Last week they were doing 600 people a day. This week its 1300 a day in panic as the Indian variant is spreading so fast.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Boris fucked up certainly by not closing the Border however the fucking idiots going to and from India in the first place didn't fucking help.... jesus wept not exactly responsible human beings are they, oh look there is a massive outbreak of a new variant of a deadly disease, i'll just go visit friends and family there :roll:

Every time we've had a wave hit it is because of individual irresponsibility, its a virus it passes via contact >>>> stop contacts virus doesn't pass on, its not bloody rocket science. If you have to come in to contact with others follow the advice which is pretty much the same world wide, variants on hands, face, space.

I went back to work on 1 Jul last year, since then the vast majority of our staff have come back to work with the exception of 1 or 2 of the Administrators who can just as well work from home, we are a small business of approximately 30 or so people including the part time staff, not one of us has been diagnosed with Covid 19, we haven't had a single days work lost due to self isolation..... believe you me it isn't that hard if you follow the guidance instead of rail against or deliberately misinterpret it :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:39 pm
Boris fucked up certainly by not closing the Border however the fucking idiots going to and from India in the first place didn't fucking help.... jesus wept not exactly responsible human beings are they, oh look there is a massive outbreak of a new variant of a deadly disease, i'll just go visit friends and family there :roll:

Every time we've had a wave hit it is because of individual irresponsibility, its a virus it passes via contact >>>> stop contacts virus doesn't pass on, its not bloody rocket science. If you have to come in to contact with others follow the advice which is pretty much the same world wide, variants on hands, face, space.

I went back to work on 1 Jul last year, since then the vast majority of our staff have come back to work with the exception of 1 or 2 of the Administrators who can just as well work from home, we are a small business of approximately 30 or so people including the part time staff, not one of us has been diagnosed with Covid 19, we haven't had a single days work lost due to self isolation..... believe you me it isn't that hard if you follow the guidance instead of rail against or deliberately misinterpret it :banghead:
But Muuu-uuuzzzz.... they're entitled to do what they want and go where they want.... :roll:

They are.... well, you know.... cùnts. :wink: