Morality in Football

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Morality in Football

Post by augie »

How big a place should morality have in the modern day footballing world ? Should it be a factor at all ? Reason I am asking is cos of the calls for the takeover of Newcastle to be blocked by some people, not least the family of the murdered journalist

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-52465137

Personally I have mixed views on it - for starters I feel that it is too late to start a moral crusade when you see some of the people that already own clubs, but I also have to say that I don't think I would be the slightest bit unhappy if those people bought our club. I am not naïve enough to believe that they had no part in the murder of the journalist, but it has to be acknowledged that there is zero proof that they were involved, so they are in effect legally bullet proof - on what grounds could the premier league or fa prohibit him buying Newcastle united ?

Football as an entertainment business is slowly dying on it's feet imo - the popularity of the premier league will not survive if winning it is basically a closed shop between the same 3 or 4 clubs every season, so injecting a few other clubs (like Newcastle) with the finances to compete with those clubs, can only enhance the competitive nature of the premier league and that can only be a good thing I think. Maybe in the longer term it might discourage shyster investor owners like Kroenke, cos paying big money for mid table clubs is not good business. The competitive leagues of yesteryear where almost any team could win the league are long gone, and now the only way a club can have any real possibility of winning the league would be if they got themselves a seriously mega-wealthy sugar daddy owner - maybe everton and the geordies can now muscle their way into the big ring, cos I for one would feel it will be refreshing

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Re: Morality in Football

Post by StuartL »

augie wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:52 pm
How big a place should morality have in the modern day footballing world ? Should it be a factor at all ? Reason I am asking is cos of the calls for the takeover of Newcastle to be blocked by some people, not least the family of the murdered journalist

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-52465137

Personally I have mixed views on it - for starters I feel that it is too late to start a moral crusade when you see some of the people that already own clubs, but I also have to say that I don't think I would be the slightest bit unhappy if those people bought our club. I am not naïve enough to believe that they had no part in the murder of the journalist, but it has to be acknowledged that there is zero proof that they were involved, so they are in effect legally bullet proof - on what grounds could the premier league or fa prohibit him buying Newcastle united ?

Football as an entertainment business is slowly dying on it's feet imo - the popularity of the premier league will not survive if winning it is basically a closed shop between the same 3 or 4 clubs every season, so injecting a few other clubs (like Newcastle) with the finances to compete with those clubs, can only enhance the competitive nature of the premier league and that can only be a good thing I think. Maybe in the longer term it might discourage shyster investor owners like Kroenke, cos paying big money for mid table clubs is not good business. The competitive leagues of yesteryear where almost any team could win the league are long gone, and now the only way a club can have any real possibility of winning the league would be if they got themselves a seriously mega-wealthy sugar daddy owner - maybe everton and the geordies can now muscle their way into the big ring, cos I for one would feel it will be refreshing
Part of the attraction of “old football days” was the fact that several unfashionable, small sized clubs, had a good crop of players and managed to compete - think Ipswich, West Brom, Forest, Villa in the mid - late 70’s and early 80’s.

Leicester were remarkable for what they achieved in winning the league, it is very, very, unlikely to happen again given the financial disparity between the top clubs and even the upper mid table teams.

Looks like we are slipping further and further down in terms of size, status and on pitch achievement, so unless Dagnote or similar come good with,a buy out our mid table obscurity is our position for the foreseeable future -

OneBardGooner

Re: Morality in Football

Post by OneBardGooner »

I saw the title of the thread and thought..Someone is definitely 'Avin a Bubble'.

:?