Jack Charlton 1935-2020

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
mcdowell42

Jack Charlton 1935-2020

Post by mcdowell42 »

Rip Big Jack

augie

Re: Jack Charlton 1935-2020

Post by augie »

I'd like to echo that

Jack was always be a hero over here - we had some real top quality players over here when big Jack took over, but hadnt been able to qualify for the big tournaments. Jack came in and tore up the playbook and we scrapped into euro 88 and it ignited a golden period for Irish football. I looked back on some of the highlights of his era lately and football wise it was woeful stuff, but (in AFC fashion) it was effective and successful for us.

Rest in Peace big man

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

He will always be a legend over here for getting us to a world cup quarter final.

Rest in Peace

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

I wonder if they will ever say who was in his little black book.

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/seasons/197071part2.htm

I cannot mention names but I have a little book with two names in it and if I get the chance to do them I will. I do not do what I consider to be the bad fouls in the game such as going over the top. That is about the worst foul in the game, but I will tackle as hard as I can to win the ball, but I will not do the dirty things, the really nasty things. When people do it to me I do it back to them. Because I am not noted for doing so people don't do it to me, but there are two or three people who have done it to me and I will make them suffer before I pack this game up.

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

Absolute gentle giant. Met him in 96 with my dad who was starting to go slowly downhill with dementia and Big Jack couldn’t have been more generous with his time and interest chatting to the old man all about USA 94.
Also loved the tale about him paying for everything with cheques so they would never be banked. Just framed and put up in many pubs and restaurants.
Top man!

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maoQkoADBVo

Revie's Leeds doing what they did best for the goal.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Tough player who could play a bit, every successful team needs one or more of those! RIP Big Fella.

I went to all the Sheffield Wednesday FA Cup 1979 games, home, away & 3 at Leicester's Filbert Street ground, 5 féckin games , 3 with extra time. :banghead: :barscarf:

Jacks football style of management was evident back then, with a 3rd division Wednesday drilled as a tough tackling defensive unit! Arsenal couldn't cope with it & couldn't hold a lead long enough, even missing penalties until the first half of the 5th game we took a two goal lead & kept it! :barscarf:

Done well with Ireland with a weaker squad than previous players & management who had failed to qualify for major tournaments despite going very close in the previous decade. Jack played how he wanted you had to play in his system his way or you were out.

He's gets total credit for taking Irish football forward towards a new era.

Read a Jack Charlton tribute earlier, when asked by a young lad what he would have done about the Roy Keane WC Japan 02 saga, he said he would have dragged Keane onto the plane by his ears! :box: :box:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Sad to hear this. RIP Jack.

A unique man in being a hero in both Ireland and England.

A world cup winner and a tough old school footballer - certainly not a "foobler" like so many of the these weak entitled pussies that now polute the game.

His management style was oft criticised by the football snobs over here but the man achieved so much for a tiny footballing nation. Yeah it was often ugly and yeah most of the best players he had were rejects from Scotland England and Wales but fuck it - in that peculiar scrappy rebellious underdog "everyone is Oirish somewhere in their family tree" way we have of looking at life that just made them all the more loveable!

Summer of 1990 in particular was amazing here. A world cup tourney and fuck me sideways we were in it. :shock: I worked hard and saved up and told my old man (who was also my boss) I was taking the month off and myself and a handful of mates just went on the lash for the month. We watched nearly every game in our local. A world cup quarter final for a country like Ireland? Mental stuff. And we were unlucky to lose it! :wink: But man what a time! 8)

And no matter what his detractors here say about the style of football and not enough Oirish born players in his squad they can never take away the joy he gave us and the huge boost his team gave the game at grass roots level here.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Seems strange that the man is probably more revered in Ireland than in his his native country . Despite being a member of Ramsey's world cup winners , I think most over here associate him with Don Revie's Dirty Leeds team and the way he put English football back by the continual use of physicality over skill.
I posted their winning goal in the 1968 League cup final as evidence of the deliberate taking out of the keeper. it was a tactic which our refs had not seen before and it bought Leeds success and set the tone for a style of football that has lasted for a few decades now.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Highlight for me was Euro 88, we were in a group with Holland, Russia and the mighty Ingerland.
We beat Ingerland 1-0. drew with Russia only to lose out narrowly for a semi final spot to the Dutch.
We had some great battles with Ingerland after that, I remember playing them off the park at Wemberley, only to manage a draw.
The 1-1 at Italia 90, watched it in Irish owned, The Ship Hotel in Swindon, amazing nite and great banter later with a lot of Ingerlish lads, from The Greyhound across the street.
I remember the Ingerlish lads would all be cheering us on in our other games, but couldnt understand us cheering on Ingerlands opponents in all their games :D

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

RIP Big Jack

Great photo of him dressed in his Leeds kit smoking a fag outside the ground doing the rounds yesterday - memories of how different things were back then. You'd only have to hear the humility in his interviews as a refreshing reminder of a time when there wasn't a sense of entitlement and footballers were 'one of us'.

As has been said by the Oirish lads on here he took them to a new level on the international stage and fair play to him for that too. I wasn't fooled by all this limited resources bullshit though as players like Houghton, Whelan, Aldridge, Townsend, O'Leary etc were playing regularly for top teams in England but he got far more out of them. I used to dread Ingerlund playing them as he'd always make it the toughest of games

Sad to see those heroes from 66 being taken from us in the past year or so - that's Big Jack, Gordon Banks, Ray Wilson and Martin Peters all passed to the other side in the last couple of years. :cry: :cry:

John F

Post by John F »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:08 am
RIP Big Jack

Great photo of him dressed in his Leeds kit smoking a fag outside the ground doing the rounds yesterday - memories of how different things were back then. You'd only have to hear the humility in his interviews as a refreshing reminder of a time when there wasn't a sense of entitlement and footballers were 'one of us'.

As has been said by the Oirish lads on here he took them to a new level on the international stage and fair play to him for that too. I wasn't fooled by all this limited resources bullshit though as players like Houghton, Whelan, Aldridge, Townsend, O'Leary etc were playing regularly for top teams in England but he got far more out of them. I used to dread Ingerlund playing them as he'd always make it the toughest of games

Sad to see those heroes from 66 being taken from us in the past year or so - that's Big Jack, Gordon Banks, Ray Wilson and Martin Peters all passed to the other side in the last couple of years. :cry: :cry:
Great post . Good tribute to Jack on the telly this morning by his Granddaughter.Mick McCarthy just said we had the players but not the team and he made the team .From what people that knew him are saying he came across as a warm friendly down to earth chap who didn't take life too seriously.He kept his 66 medal not on display but in a tin and he once lent his 66 shirt to a neighbour for a fancy dress party and forgot he did it.I think he got a bit of stick in England mainly because no one likes to be beaten on the international stage by someone from your own country but for me he is a 66 hero.God you know you are getting old when people you grew up watching start passing away.

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

Here's an amazing stat about Big Jack in his club and international career he scored 101 goals. That is unbelivable for a centre half RIP Jack

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Ernie71 wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:54 pm
Here's an amazing stat about Big Jack in his club and international career he scored 101 goals. That is unbelivable for a centre half RIP Jack
Jeez I had no idea he scored that many. That is indeed an amazing number for a CH.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

Jack was a regular thorn in our side during the years when Leeds were in their pomp.

His presence on the goal-line prevented Jim Furnell reaching the ball and enabled Terry Cooper to score the winning goal in the 1968 League Cup Final.

Two days before his 37th birthday, he was so dominant in the 1972 FA Cup final that John Radford ended up being hauled off with us 1-0 down.

And he scored the winning goal in the last minute of the game which could easily have deprived us of the championship in 1971. Thankfully we got the result we needed at Spurs a week later.