Man City ban overturned

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Herd

Re: Man City ban overturned

Post by Herd »

augie wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:04 pm

In an ideal world football would have a salary cap scenario like they have in the nfl where it works brilliantly - realistically, when there are so many countries involved worldwide, honest compliance with a salary cap would never happen. Even the practicalities of it couldnt work when you consider the tv deals earning power in england compared to the rest of the world. If they bring in a country by country salary cap, then the best players would all flock to the one league and clubs in countries like france and portugal would be raped
The NFL is a closed shop cartel that simply wouldn't be allowed in Europe or the UK ,players are drafted like slaves from college ,no freedom of movement here ,the contracts are such that a player can be traded here there or anywhere ,baseball is similar ,only the top players get their way !
I'm surprised they haven't been taken to court over it !
At the end of the day money talks and ffp was a joke from the start ,football sold its soul years ago its all about squeezing as much money out of it as possible or a plaything for ego driven rich men !

augie

Post by augie »

Herd wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:58 pm
augie wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:04 pm

In an ideal world football would have a salary cap scenario like they have in the nfl where it works brilliantly - realistically, when there are so many countries involved worldwide, honest compliance with a salary cap would never happen. Even the practicalities of it couldnt work when you consider the tv deals earning power in england compared to the rest of the world. If they bring in a country by country salary cap, then the best players would all flock to the one league and clubs in countries like france and portugal would be raped
The NFL is a closed shop cartel that simply wouldn't be allowed in Europe or the UK ,players are drafted like slaves from college ,no freedom of movement here ,the contracts are such that a player can be traded here there or anywhere ,baseball is similar ,only the top players get their way !
I'm surprised they haven't been taken to court over it !
At the end of the day money talks and ffp was a joke from the start ,football sold its soul years ago its all about squeezing as much money out of it as possible or a plaything for ego driven rich men !

I would agree with some parts of that and disagree with other parts of it -

1. Have you seen some of the contracts those "slaves" get when they come out of college ? We complain about wenger overpaying unproven players, but fcuk me these kids are the definition of unproven and the majority get very nice contracts

2. I like the situation with the contracts - if a player/person signs a contract then they should be made honour it, unlike football when it is common practice to aggitate and create trouble behind the scene so that you can force your way out.

3. Contracts have to be 2 way deals - when a club signs a player they are giving a financial commitment to pay the player whatever terms the player has agreed to in said contract. If the club has to honour the contract, then why shouldnt the player ? He signs the contract knowing he can be traded (transferred) to another franchise cos his club owns his registration, and often the player benefits as much as the franchise does in a trade.

4. Contract headlines rarely match the reality - mahomes signed a 10 year $140m+ contract a few weeks ago, but within the next 3 or 4 years that contract will be restructured in a way that suits both sides but will be less glitzy. Players know that teams are restricted to salary cap commitments and that can frequently be to their advantage - top players will often get traded out of a successful team cos the franchise cant afford to pay all their top players, and that will allow said player to go and get a huge contract elsewhere

Herd

Post by Herd »

As I said the top players get what they want but the rest are there to be fucked around by the Owners . Why should a professional club with which a college player that has had zero contact with in his life have the exclusive rights to his services. Its wrong simple as .
Anyway fuck da USA City have finagled their way out of a problem and all is back to normal. RIP ffp a stillborn baby if ever there was one.

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

I see Pep is still crying about it. The irony is that if you replace Arsenal with City in that sentence, it’s what many think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53479675

"I have all the respect for what Arsenal are on the pitch. Not much off the pitch, but on the pitch, a lot."

augie

Post by augie »

I totally understand the knock on his achievements at bayern and citeeh cos of the wealth and dominance in leagues where they only really have 1 competitor, but lets acknowledge that in spain he was competing against a far wealthier club in real madrid, and the core of his team was very much homegrown 8)

As I said last week though, I dont disagree with his slating of our club and the people that run it - maybe it is easier for me cos I have always been 100% against ffp (and I continue to be), so I have no issue with them breaking what is a ridiculous rule anyway. The biggest point here is the sneaky way we went about our complaints - if you feel that citeeh broke the law and should be punished, then be a man about it and stand up and say it publicly. Hiding in the shadows trying not to be seen as a complainant, is cowardly and I dont understand it - I havent seen one good reason why we are felt the need to be underhanded and sneaky about it, so surely those that feel the club is right to complain, will agree that they should have stood up publicly and let it be known ?