Your XI which sums up the worst of the club since 2008

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Bradywasking

Re: Your XI which sums up the worst of the club since 2008

Post by Bradywasking »

John F wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:18 am
Cech ,Eboue,Luiz,Squillaci,Silvestre,Xhaka,Dennilson,Bischoff,Cone head,Lord Bendtner,Postman.
Isn't it scary that there are so many to choose from? I forgot about Enoue and Dennilson and Silvestre from your team.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Some great (awful) teams there. Makes me realise I didn’t rack my brains anywhere near hard enough.

I have to keep Giroud in because even though he was actually good enough to be a back-up striker to chuck on when we needed a goal, the fact that the giant slug was our unchallenged lone striker for so many seasons is as big a statement of our acceptance of utter mediocrity as I can remember.

However, I’d also have to make room for Sanogo who was dreadful. My blood boiled watching him start an FA cup semi final whilst we were desperate to end our trophy drought, and stumbling around Wembley whilst we did our best to lose to a dreadful Wigan side. Has to come in for Bendtner who, albeit a dickhead, did have a habit of nicking a few late winners and scored a NLD winner about 1.5 seconds after coming off the bench.

Park is the only player I’ve seen as utterly out of his depth as Santos but similarly his appearances were thankfully very limited.

John F

Post by John F »

I thought the signings of Silvestre,Luiz and Cech emphasised the decline .Instead of competing with the Chavs and Utd we became a laughing stock by signing their cast offs on the cheap.I still can't get over the extended contract for Luiz.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Eleven? How the fuck do we keep it to eleven ffs? :lol: I'm not even gonna bother trying.

Almunia
Chesney
Kryten Features
Flappy

Comedy Eboue
Chav Gallas
Sideshow Chav
Mustafalaugh
Clichy
Kalamitysnatch
Bellend
Fat Santos
Xhakatard
Squillaci

Frimpong
Legohead Denilson
Hillier Mk2
Xhakatard
Alex Mong
Xhakatard
Comedy Iwobi
Xhakatard

Gervinho
Bendtnertard
Sanogoals
Chamakh

*Including Giroud is a tad silly tbh. Obviously not a first choice striker but he was an average to goodish striker that scored some magical goals and his hold up work was brilliant - but often let down by a shit system implemented by a past-it Wenger. He also never ducked out of a header unlike most of our current cowards and he was often our best (only) defender at set pieces. We can't blame him for the manager not having a scooby.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Fucking hell, this is a tough one. We've probably got about eight options for every position. Anyway, off the top of my head because I'll get too depressed thinking too much about it:

Fabianaski
Santos
Squillaci
Silvestre
Kallstrom
Denilson
Eboue
Bischoff
Sanogo
Chamakh
Gervinho

On the bench:
Chav twat helmet cûnt
Mertsacker- cowardly gangly lanky fucker
Giroud- Once headed it 5 foot over the bar from 3 yards out.
Hyde Park or whatever that Korean bloke who never played was called
Ozil because he sums up the absolute waste under Wanker
Arshavin- just because it would be an FA cup semi final and why would Wanker start his best and most in-form player just to prove some stupid little point to the board about how the players he picked were so much better than the ones the board chose.

Took a bit of time to really shoehorn in all the absolute shitness and fuck knows what formation they'll play but really, we had no proper formation or tactics under Wanker for about 15 years, so it wouldn't make any difference at all.
Last edited by Perryashburtongroves on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

John F

Post by John F »

Didn't they find that Japanese player Asano in some bushes at the training ground the other day,apparently he didn't realise his Arsenal playing career was over.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

John F wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:26 am
Didn't they find that Japanese player Asano in some bushes at the training ground the other day,apparently he didn't realise his Arsenal playing career was over.
:shock:

:lol: :lol:

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Giroud is actually one of our better strikers during that period, and immeasurably better than the likes of Sanogo, Park etc. Likewise a clear cut above the likes of Bendtner and Chamakh.

But if you asked me in 10 or 20 years time to name a striker (or even a player) who summed up the second half of Wenger’s tenure, he would be right up there for me. Every other team competing for a title during that 4-5 year period had a quality striker banging in the goals - van Persie, Costa, Suarez, Aguero, Vardy, Kane etc. All banging in mid-20 goals plus. Meanwhile Giroud used to struggle to limp to 15 league goals despite starting every match, but was utterly undroppable and had the arrogance to go with it.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

northbank123 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:50 am
Giroud is actually one of our better strikers during that period, and immeasurably better than the likes of Sanogo, Park etc. Likewise a clear cut above the likes of Bendtner and Chamakh.

But if you asked me in 10 or 20 years time to name a striker (or even a player) who summed up the second half of Wenger’s tenure, he would be right up there for me. Every other team competing for a title during that 4-5 year period had a quality striker banging in the goals - van Persie, Costa, Suarez, Aguero, Vardy, Kane etc. All banging in mid-20 goals plus. Meanwhile Giroud used to struggle to limp to 15 league goals despite starting every match, but was utterly undroppable and had the arrogance to go with it.

Yep, that was your point when you started the thread, not necessarily the worst players, but those that summed up the painful and steady decline over 12 years. It’s why I suggested Ramsey.

Mind you, when you look at the utter dross that the guys have listed in their teams, it really is shocking for a club that was claiming to be competing at the top level. And amazing how many you’d forgotten until someone lists them.

Hilarious on one hand and desperately pathetic on the other.

MegaGooner

Post by MegaGooner »

Don't forget the great Abou Diaby!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

wibble

Post by wibble »

northbank123 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:56 am
Some great (awful) teams there. Makes me realise I didn’t rack my brains anywhere near hard enough.

I have to keep Giroud in because even though he was actually good enough to be a back-up striker to chuck on when we needed a goal, the fact that the giant slug was our unchallenged lone striker for so many seasons is as big a statement of our acceptance of utter mediocrity as I can remember.

However, I’d also have to make room for Sanogo who was dreadful. My blood boiled watching him start an FA cup semi final whilst we were desperate to end our trophy drought, and stumbling around Wembley whilst we did our best to lose to a dreadful Wigan side. Has to come in for Bendtner who, albeit a dickhead, did have a habit of nicking a few late winners and scored a NLD winner about 1.5 seconds after coming off the bench.

Park is the only player I’ve seen as utterly out of his depth as Santos but similarly his appearances were thankfully very limited.
I dunno, I reckon having bendtner out wide summed up Wenger’s latter years very well, a mediocre player playing out of position!
Having said that, Sanogo was a worse player, injury prone and signed on a free so that sums up our ineptitude nicely too. Some tough choices definitely!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

MegaGooner wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:01 am
Don't forget the great Abou Diaby!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Unai (sorry I mean SteveO :wink: ) is gonna have a fit. :lol:

BFG4

Post by BFG4 »

My hatred of Giroud is probably irrational but for me he sums up the attitude of the Wenger decline in which mediocrity and 2nd best was enough. I will never forget him cupping his ears after setting up a goal(I think against Norwich)in the same season he went half a season without a league goal. Also, after the EL final and the whole "Thank you Arsenal" thing. An arrogant twat propped up by an equally arrogant and clueless manager.
I see mentions of Eboue and will never forget him coming on against Wigan, messing everything up and being subbed again to a chorus of boos.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

BFG4 wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:57 am
My hatred of Giroud is probably irrational but for me he sums up the attitude of the Wenger decline in which mediocrity and 2nd best was enough. I will never forget him cupping his ears after setting up a goal(I think against Norwich)in the same season he went half a season without a league goal. Also, after the EL final and the whole "Thank you Arsenal" thing. An arrogant twat propped up by an equally arrogant and clueless manager.
I see mentions of Eboue and will never forget him coming on against Wigan, messing everything up and being subbed again to a chorus of boos.
I quite often mention that game/season when people go on about how good he is. Had he actually scored 20 league goals for a season for a change we would have been crowned champions ahead of Leicester. That season every major side had a stinker and it was wide open for us to win the fucker.

For Giroud to cup his ears sums up the attitude of modern-day footballers, too full of their own ego's rather than face up to their shortcomings that were the difference between success and failure in that particular season.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Nobody has picked Ozil?

We’ve had many talented players and a shit load of average ones but never have we had such a talented player racking up £350k a week yet not give a shit if he’s picked or not.

His career has fallen off a cliff in recent years yet he appears to have zero desire to move clubs. Instead happy to pick up his salary and not play.

That contract sums up the self destructive insanity of Wenger and Gazidis.

Ozil would be my captain of this rogues gallery :roll: