Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

Post by augie »

Shu, either read my post properly and respond as you see fit, or if you want you can ignore them altogether, cos that would be better than looking at who posted the message and then deciding that it must be negative :roll: I have frequently said that martinez has been excellent since leno got injured, so show me where the negativity is then ? Is expressing a preference for leno over martinez now viewed as negativity ? :roll:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

There is a possibility Martinez thrives with no supporters at the games .

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

It’s quite possible that the lack of crowds is enabling Arteta talk them through the game .

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:47 pm
There is a possibility Martinez thrives with no supporters at the games .
True, that’s a very good point. Less pressure and easier to communicate with those around you.

Martinez looks such a steady keeper though with soft hands and commands his area on set pieces really well. Instinctively, he’s everything I like to see in a keeper. Leno looks far more exposed on set pieces and that’s a huge part of Premier league football.

As many have said though, sample size is too small so another season needed. Definitely too soon to cash in on Leno (who also had a good season)

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:18 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:19 pm
Martinez should start a number 1 next season. Maybe, he is a late developer and has finally got his shit together. Remember how we used to mock szceszny, even though he won the golden glove in his last season at number 1at Arsenal. He moved to Juventus and now ranked the 5th best keeper in the world. Look at the example of keepers that were brilliant when younger De Gea, Kepa, Courtois and Hart but have faded as they got older.
He handles the ball better, distribution is better and reads the game better than Leno. Has a calmer temperament and has not made any unforced errors in the 10 games he's played in since taking over from the injured Leno. If push comes to shove I can see leno being sold.

I'm not sure I am following the point you are trying to make buddy - you list a few keepers that were brilliant and faded over time, but you havent listed one that was average/shit for 10 years and became top quality, and that is the point that you were suggesting what has happened with martinez I think :? :?
John Lukic, Dave Seaman and Jens Lehman, are just 3 goalies who I can think of being average to good at a young age and improved as they got older. Lukic was Leeds United no.1 in Div.2 when he signed for us and took a back seat to Pat Jennings for 3 seasons. Took 8 seasons for Seaman to be regarded as a top 3 goalie, and Lehman was similar to seaman. Another case in point is Richard Wright who was touted as the natural replacement for Seaman as he excelled as ayoung goalie, but was found out at the higher level.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:59 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:18 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:19 pm
Martinez should start a number 1 next season. Maybe, he is a late developer and has finally got his shit together. Remember how we used to mock szceszny, even though he won the golden glove in his last season at number 1at Arsenal. He moved to Juventus and now ranked the 5th best keeper in the world. Look at the example of keepers that were brilliant when younger De Gea, Kepa, Courtois and Hart but have faded as they got older.
He handles the ball better, distribution is better and reads the game better than Leno. Has a calmer temperament and has not made any unforced errors in the 10 games he's played in since taking over from the injured Leno. If push comes to shove I can see leno being sold.

I'm not sure I am following the point you are trying to make buddy - you list a few keepers that were brilliant and faded over time, but you havent listed one that was average/shit for 10 years and became top quality, and that is the point that you were suggesting what has happened with martinez I think :? :?
John Lukic, Dave Seaman and Jens Lehman, are just 3 goalies who I can think of being average to good at a young age and improved as they got older. Lukic was Leeds United no.1 in Div.2 when he signed for us and took a back seat to Pat Jennings for 3 seasons. Took 8 seasons for Seaman to be regarded as a top 3 goalie, and Lehman was similar to seaman. Another case in point is Richard Wright who was touted as the natural replacement for Seaman as he excelled as ayoung goalie, but was found out at the higher level.
I'll never rate Lehmann near as highly as Seamo or Lukic because while Lehmann was commanding and a superb shot stopper his game was full of stupid unforced mistakes and idiotic decision making. He cost us the CL in both 2004 and 2006 and did his best to get sent off at the shithole the day we won the PL unbeaten in 2004.

Basically the guy was a fucking idiot.

shu

Post by shu »

augie wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:20 pm
Shu, either read my post properly and respond as you see fit, or if you want you can ignore them altogether, cos that would be better than looking at who posted the message and then deciding that it must be negative :roll: I have frequently said that martinez has been excellent since leno got injured, so show me where the negativity is then ? Is expressing a preference for leno over martinez now viewed as negativity ? :roll:
Ffs man have a chat with yourself , now who said that buddy !!! Oh I forgot it was you . Nice.

You have posted a lot of negativity, it is easy to look at your recent comments and those you made against Bard.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Nail on the head there DB, a brain dead hot head who cost us the big one in 2006 and as you say acted the fucking moron at the swamp in 2004 which took some of the gloss off the day for me (we were outstanding and deserved the win to hammer home our status as champions only for him to fuck it away).

David Seaman for the majority of the 90’s was the best keeper we’ve ever had and was absolutely outstanding during the GG years especially. The Nayim moment aside he was unbelievable in those two cup winners cup campaigns, Jens isn’t fit to lace his fucking boots.

Anyway fuck all this discussion about keepers, this is the FA Cup thread so here’s a picture of Charlie outside the old gaff holding our trophy today :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:08 pm
Nail on the head there DB, a brain dead hot head who cost us the big one in 2006 and as you say acted the fucking moron at the swamp in 2004 which took some of the gloss off the day for me (we were outstanding and deserved the win to hammer home our status as champions only for him to fuck it away).

David Seaman for the majority of the 90’s was the best keeper we’ve ever had and was absolutely outstanding during the GG years especially. The Nayim moment aside he was unbelievable in those two cup winners cup campaigns, Jens isn’t fit to lace his fucking boots.

Anyway fuck all this discussion about keepers, this is the FA Cup thread so here’s a picture of Charlie outside the old gaff holding our trophy today :barscarf:

Legend. 8)

Clash

Post by Clash »

rodders999 wrote:

That's fair enough but you're both being very harsh on Jens in my opinion. I would prefer to label him mad or crazy rather than see him called an idiot or a moron.

If we're blaming Jens for the CL exit in 2004, we could just as easily say Seaman cost us the 1991 FAC SF against the Scum. Letting Gazza's free kick in from that range was a massive error and we never recovered.

And for me what Seaman did in Paris in 1995 was worse than what Jens did in Paris 11 years later because there was no time to recover. Wenger also has to take a lot of blame by taking off Pires and not playing Bergkamp. Fuck! Who brought this up ? :suicide: I fucking hate those finals and I really fucking hate Paris!

Anyway its true that Seaman had been outstanding to get us to that CWC final ... but its also true to say Jens was equally outstanding in getting us to the 2006 CL final. This is too easily forgotten I think, He made a fantastic save at Highbury against Real Madrid to keep it at 0-0 and then saved that last minute semi final 2nd leg pen at Villarreal to get us to the final. He also helped set a European record of 9 clean sheets in a row.

You dont do that with a moron in goal. Or go unbeaten for a whole season for that matter. So despite his faults, I think Jens deserves a bit more respect. Especially considering Seaman was such a hard act to follow.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

rodders999 wrote:

A picture of Charlie holding the FA Cup outside Highbury.

Excellent work Rodders.........brought a smile to my face :barscarf:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:42 am
Can we just enjoy the fact that we've got two half decent keepers??

It wasn't that long ago when our Lord and Master had Almunia as his first choice and occasional captain, supported by Flappy and Mannone!
Exactly....thats put it in perspective very well :D

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:27 pm
rodders999 wrote:

Legend. 8)
CHARLIE THE KING OF HIGHBURY

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

https://www.90min.com/posts/every-premi ... ners/45893

Needs a bigger sample size, but quite impressive stats from Martinez. Also would like a stat to compare ball gathering %. I am sure Martinez will be way ahead of Leno on high claims but can't see any stats.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Martinez has done brilliantly since he came in 8) when Leno got injured I thought "Oh fuck were fucked" but if I'm honest Martinez has been fantastic :barscarf: like has been said a smaller sample size etc but the jersey should be his until he fucks up.On another note we won the cup on sat and I'm still buzzing like a bored hoosewifes vibrator 8) 2 good keepers 8) it's a good problem to have.14 times :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf: :D