Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: Chavski *word censored* Fa cup final Sat 1st Aug KO 1730

Post by Clash »

Bradywasking wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:56 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:52 pm
Half five kick off..... :roll:

Typical fucking PL / media cùnts. :censored:
Yes agree, but it actually suits me as I have to work early Saturday..However it is another dumbing down of what was the greatest single day in domestic English football. Obviously winning the league was a bigger and more important achievement., but Cup Final day was special.
You would be sick with nerves all week or longer, you worried about injuries because back in the 70s and 80s teams virtually picked themselves.
Large squads have also ruined the Cup. "Cup goalkeepers " and "Cup teams",.what a load of rubbish.. In 1980 Arsenal played 70 matches including SIX semi final games in April. The strongest teams played every game, and there was only one sub on the bench . Watching Arsenal "squad" players not breaking their proverbial bollix to force their way into the Cup Final team against Villa actually has me believing more is actually less when it comes to competition for places.
Man Ure as holders in 2000 going off to flog their merchandise in Brazil rather than compete was another nail in the coffin. No replay sagas like 79 V Sheffield Wednesday or the 1980 semifinal against Liverpool devalue the Cup.
The easy option was to blame foreign coaches, but a foreign coach has the record for FA Cup wins. The FA put the boot into the Cup first and clubs followed.
You have summed it up brilliantly there BWK.

What annoys me is the TV coverage will be filled with FA Cup cliches and references to days gone by ... but they will not acknowledge the part they’ve played in ruining the occasion. The problem is there is no money in the FAC and prestige isn’t enough these days - clubs would rather get a CL spot. I do think with the money in the game the glamour of the cup could and should have been protected more but then you see how grotesque the new Wembley looks with all the adverts and corporate areas and all hope is lost.

John F

Post by John F »

Clash wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:24 am
Bradywasking wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Yes agree, but it actually suits me as I have to work early Saturday..However it is another dumbing down of what was the greatest single day in domestic English football. Obviously winning the league was a bigger and more important achievement., but Cup Final day was special.
You would be sick with nerves all week or longer, you worried about injuries because back in the 70s and 80s teams virtually picked themselves.
Large squads have also ruined the Cup. "Cup goalkeepers " and "Cup teams",.what a load of rubbish.. In 1980 Arsenal played 70 matches including SIX semi final games in April. The strongest teams played every game, and there was only one sub on the bench . Watching Arsenal "squad" players not breaking their proverbial bollix to force their way into the Cup Final team against Villa actually has me believing more is actually less when it comes to competition for places.
Man Ure as holders in 2000 going off to flog their merchandise in Brazil rather than compete was another nail in the coffin. No replay sagas like 79 V Sheffield Wednesday or the 1980 semifinal against Liverpool devalue the Cup.
The easy option was to blame foreign coaches, but a foreign coach has the record for FA Cup wins. The FA put the boot into the Cup first and clubs followed.

What annoys me is the TV coverage will be filled with FA Cup cliches and references to days gone by ... but they will not acknowledge the part they’ve played in ruining the occasion. The problem is there is no money in the FAC and prestige isn’t enough these days - clubs would rather get a CL spot. I do think with the money in the game the glamour of the cup could and should have been protected more but then you see how grotesque the new Wembley looks with all the adverts and corporate areas and all hope is lost.
FA cup games used to add thousands to a gate but now it is more likely to take thousands off.My first trip to Highbury was the 77 cup tie against Coventry that attracted a crowd of 41000 .Any league game against them at the time was lucky to get past 20000.I agree the cup needs to be made financially attractive to the money orientated clubs for them to take it more seriously.The only small financial benefit that clubs probably get after paying players bonuses out of the prize money is that if they get to the final it is shown all over the world and could attract new supporters to the club who may contribute to the merchandise coffers.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Clash wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:24 am
Bradywasking wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Agree with all above....FA Cup Final Day was special, the country stopped when it was on, the build up was incredible

Single most important thing that started the rot was as you say above - Man Ure as holders in 2000 going off to flog their merchandise in Brazil rather than compete was another nail in the coffin

But over the years gradually eroded and now a pale imitation of what it once was

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Bradywasking wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Quality post BWK.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:39 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:36 pm
Yep, said it on the Watford thread.....all I can see is a replay of Baku.

Hope I'm wrong, but quite apart from our crap squad (theirs is light years ahead), I trust neither Arteta's team selection and set-up, nor his bizarre and woeful substitutions.

All we can do is pray for a repeat semi-final performance, but that looks more and more a one off amidst endless crap ! :(

Maybe we will win or maybe we will bottle it again, but either way I cant agree with that - our back line (Tierney aside) is shambolic, but theirs is no better (they have zouma ffs :roll: ). I would say their midfield is as vanilla as ours, and I would rate our attack as significantly better than theirs.

I would say that the two biggest obstacles we will have will be (a) our habit of sucking our dicks and balls back inside us and hiding away like the pussies we are too frequently and (b) the team selection arteta goes with. Saka has to start for me. There really should be no need to debate this, but I dont see arteta dropping pepe for him. Maybe he picks him in the left wing back spot if he puts Tierney in the back 3 (if he goes with back 3 :rubchin: ), but saka's greatest strength is attacking opposition full backs and I want him pushed up where he can be most useful. I am expecting laca to start in the 9, but it wouldnt shock me if he picked nketieh there either.

Ok Augie, I'd admit to a little hyperbole for effect :lol: , but their squad is better than ours imo. More robust and uncompromising at the back (even with Zouma), although far from water-tight and as they shouldn't be sitting deep against us, our forwards ought to be able to pose some problems. Up front, well I've never rated Giroud and Abrahams seems a bit hit and miss, but his movement would trouble our defence. At least movement isn't something that Giroud can worry us with.

For me, the real difference is midfield. I don't know whether Kante will be fit, but he and Kovacic, would be all over our centre mids like a rash. Their centre mid back up is the likes of Jorginho, Barkley and Loftus-Cheek....not world beaters, but a step up from the likes of Willock and Nelson. They also have Mount, Willian and Pulisic to create some havoc.

They may not be the team they were, but they've performed well recently and are a more balanced and organised unit than our rabble.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Bradywasking wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I'm glad you'll get to watch it buddy. :barscarf:

Good post too on how the cup has been beaten down over the years. I always loved FA Cup final day even when Arsenal weren't playing in it but especially when we were.

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Chavski *word censored* WTF? So now Nazi is a banned word on here, that's what they are Chav Nazi scum, always have been, always will be lowlife of the worst kind. :cussing:

Come on Arsenal, you owe us big time from feckin Baku last year, no excuses, lets do these two bob *word censored*! :box:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I'm trying my best to be Optimistic, but there is a reason they're above us in the table.

Hate the cuntts.

:cussing:

#COYG

#FOYC

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:42 pm
Chavski *word censored* WTF? So now Nazi is a banned word on here, that's what they are Chav Nazi scum, always have been, always will be lowlife of the worst kind. :cussing:

Come on Arsenal, you owe us big time from feckin Baku last year, no excuses, lets do these two bob *word censored*! :box:
The word "Nazi" is not banned on here. Who told you it was banned?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:56 pm
I'm trying my best to be Optimistic, but there is a reason they're above us in the table.

Hate the cuntts.

:cussing:

#COYG

#FOYC
Forget the table buddy. It's the FA Cup Final. A one off two horse race. If we turn up like we did against citeh we'll beat these chav wànkers 3-0. :barscarf:

Of course if we turn up like we did against Villa we'll lose 3-0. :x

Fuck it. Let's be positive. We are going to win it. :barscarf:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I remember as a kid I used always buy Shoot or Match (maybe both) every single year when the Cup final special was released even though it was never Arsenal in the final. :cry:

Then the 6 hours coverage on the BBC the day of the final, the players seen taking a stroll around the hotel grounds right after their breakfast, chatting nervously amongst themselves, a few laughing and joking to ease the tension. The excitement building as the buses arrived at the stadium, the twin towers and Wembley way pictured from above.

The commentary team out on the Wembley turf, normally in the goal mouth where someone would make themselves a hero later that afternoon, discussing the game with the vast empty stands in the background.

Then the fans would start to arrive and the stadium began to heave, the players from both teams would be out on the pitch in their suits breathing in the atmosphere. The tension would rise, back to the studio inside the stadium for the final discussion before kick off.

Both teams came out of the tunnel in their tracksuits, led by their managers. Line up, meet and greet, Abide With Me, tensions at an absolute fever pitch and then KICK OFF.

Fucking hell I was so excited for those games, dreaming of the day Arsenal would finally be there. My first Arsenal cup final was ‘93. My dad brought me to the pub for it, nervously drinking glasses of coke and when Wrighty put us 1 nil up I started to dream that finally I would get to see us lift the trophy, see the players walk up those famous steps one by one, red and white scarves wrapped around their heads or over their shoulders and we’d lift the trophy. My time had finally come.

Then David Hirst equalised and I cried my eyes out at the cruelty of it all, my dreams were shattered and I was brought home thinking that was it, I’d never get to see us win the cup.

Then the replay the Thursday night, the tension so high I could barely watch, Wrighty again you absolute fucking legend, surely this time we’d do it, then another equaliser. FUCK. Extra time, this is all to much for a young kid, a penalty shoot out on the horizon, what the fuck is a penalty shoot out???

A corner at the death.....ANDY LINEGHAN HAS WON THE CUP FOR ARSENAL.

What a fucking header, a bullet, unstoppable, and Chris Woods was a brilliant keeper. The feeling of sheer elation when the ball hit the net Just cannot be put in to words. We walk up the steps and Tony lifts the trophy and I’m crying again. This is what I’ve waited my whole life to see. We’ve done it and even though it’s really late I’m outside replicating the goal over and over and over again. What a night, one of THE great nights.

When I kicked a ball in my back garden as a kid the goals I would score would never be league winning goals, nope, the commentator in my mind would be describing the cup final and I would always score the winner for Arsenal right at the death. He’s done it, and the crowd would go wild.

Andy Lineghan got to live my dream and the dreams of countless other boys my age that night.

The cup has been devalued from them days no doubt for a whole host of reasons and fuck knows what it will be like for future generations, but for people like me who grew up with it being the biggest game of the season and one of the very few live on tv it will always be magical.

And even now when I’m kicking a peppa pig ball around the garden with my kids and I turn and fire in a goal it’s still a last gasp winner in the cup final for Arsenal that I score.

So next Saturday’s match is so much more than 90 minutes of football for me, it’s a lifetime worth of dreams and if we get to lift the trophy once more there’s a good chance I’ll be crying again.

THE ARSENAL.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:53 pm
I remember as a kid I used always buy Shoot or Match (maybe both) every single year when the Cup final special was released even though it was never Arsenal in the final. :cry:

Then the 6 hours coverage on the BBC the day of the final, the players seen taking a stroll around the hotel grounds right after their breakfast, chatting nervously amongst themselves, a few laughing and joking to ease the tension. The excitement building as the buses arrived at the stadium, the twin towers and Wembley way pictured from above.

The commentary team out on the Wembley turf, normally in the goal mouth where someone would make themselves a hero later that afternoon, discussing the game with the vast empty stands in the background.

Then the fans would start to arrive and the stadium began to heave, the players from both teams would be out on the pitch in their suits breathing in the atmosphere. The tension would rise, back to the studio inside the stadium for the final discussion before kick off.

Both teams came out of the tunnel in their tracksuits, led by their managers. Line up, meet and greet, Abide With Me, tensions at an absolute fever pitch and then KICK OFF.

Fucking hell I was so excited for those games, dreaming of the day Arsenal would finally be there. My first Arsenal cup final was ‘93. My dad brought me to the pub for it, nervously drinking glasses of coke and when Wrighty put us 1 nil up I started to dream that finally I would get to see us lift the trophy, see the players walk up those famous steps one by one, red and white scarves wrapped around their heads or over their shoulders and we’d lift the trophy. My time had finally come.

Then David Hirst equalised and I cried my eyes out at the cruelty of it all, my dreams were shattered and I was brought home thinking that was it, I’d never get to see us win the cup.

Then the replay the Thursday night, the tension so high I could barely watch, Wrighty again you absolute fucking legend, surely this time we’d do it, then another equaliser. FUCK. Extra time, this is all to much for a young kid, a penalty shoot out on the horizon, what the fuck is a penalty shoot out???

What a fucking header, a bullet, unstoppable, and Chris Woods was a brilliant keeper. The feeling of sheer elation when the ball hit the net Just cannot be put in to words. We walk up the steps and Tony lifts the trophy and I’m crying again. This is what I’ve waited my whole life to see. We’ve done it and even though it’s really late I’m outside replicating the goal over and over and over again. What a night, one of THE great nights.

When I kicked a ball in my back garden as a kid the goals I would score would never be league winning goals, nope, the commentator in my mind would be describing the cup final and I would always score the winner for Arsenal right at the death. He’s done it, and the crowd would go wild.

Andy Lineghan got to live my dream and the dreams of countless other boys my age that night.

The cup has been devalued from them days no doubt for a whole host of reasons and fuck knows what it will be like for future generations, but for people like me who grew up with it being the biggest game of the season and one of the very few live on tv it will always be magical.

And even now when I’m kicking a peppa pig ball around the garden with my kids and I turn and fire in a goal it’s still a last gasp winner in the cup final for Arsenal that I score.

So next Saturday’s match is so much more than 90 minutes of football for me, it’s a lifetime worth of dreams and if we get to lift the trophy once more there’s a good chance I’ll be crying again.

THE ARSENAL.

Blimey mate, that was moving. Straight from the heart. Rekindles memories for most of us on here I reckon. The first Cup Final I really remember being properly able to appreciate was Chelsea / Leeds in 1970, so I'm lucky enough to remember 1971 and that was truly special. Unfortunately, that means that I remember 1972, 1978 and perhaps the hardest of all our losses for me to take, 1980.

Still, there's been some good times since.

I'm fearful for Saturday, but fuck it....Up The Gunners !!!

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:26 pm
Almunia is a clown wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:42 pm

The word "Nazi" is not banned on here. Who told you it was banned?

I think his name was Adolf Hitler.....something like that anyway.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

The brownholing in Baku, came down to two things

1. The absolute brilliance of Hazard who wanted to sign off in style

2. The absolute brain farts of AMN played out of position again and the total inability of our management/scouting team to recognise that we didn't have a proper RB at the club. It's still an issue today

In the first half of that game it was pretty non eventful and even, and it fell apart quickly owing to those two things above. Number 1 has gone and they dont have a player anywhere near his level now.

If he can keep Kolasinac as far away from the pitch as possible, tell the Swiss dollop to release the ball quickly and only make 5 yard square passes, ensure the voice in his head saying "let's play Eddie down the middle" is silenced, not bring Willock on, and tell David Luiz not to think he's Beckenbauer.....then we might just have a chance!

If more than 1 of the above rules aren't followed then prepare for Baku MKII

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:53 pm

THE ARSENAL.
As Martin Tyler once said "That sums it all up"...Rodders you are 100% correct..Cup Final day was everything, even if Arsenal were not there, but obviously more so if they were. Losing the final was a sickening kick in the stomach, you couldn't speak , there was no consolation. Winning it, well that speaks for itself..One thing also missing from modern Cup Finals are the sometimes offensive but also highly witty homemade banners.