*Red bin dipping filth N Sat 29th Aug KO 430pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner

Re: *Red bin dipping filth N Sat 29th Aug KO 430pm

Post by nut flush gooner »

Well it seems the England manager disagrees with you lot about AMN, just been drafted into the squad for next weeks game.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:09 pm
Well it seems the England manager disagrees with you lot about AMN, just been drafted into the squad for next weeks game.
That adds another 10 mill to the price tag. Lovely jubbly 8)

nut flush gooner

rodders999 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:13 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:09 pm
That adds another 10 mill to the price tag. Lovely jubbly 8)
It would be utterly retarded to sell AMN even for £30mn given his proven versatility. Especially as the CDM we are linked with costs £45Mn. Sell Bellerin out of the LB/RB player pool and Kolasinac.

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:33 pm
Nice to start the season with a bit of Silverware :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Decent performance from a relative weak team against what was a relatively strong Dippers, it wasnt perfect and we looked leggy in the second half but who cares :barscarf:

Recorded the game and havent watched it yet, but is that the feeling amongst the Gooner faithful ? Bt were suggesting that the selection of martinez means that arteta see's him as first choice, but then does it mean that saliba, pepe and lacazette are not in his best 11, and does it mean that he rates elninny above torreira ??
Also, does it look likely that he will be sticking with his back 3 formation for the coming season ? I had real hopes that the signing of saliba would see us revert to a back 4, but after today I am not confident it will happen now

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:42 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Nice to start the season with a bit of Silverware :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

Decent performance from a relative weak team against what was a relatively strong Dippers, it wasnt perfect and we looked leggy in the second half but who cares :barscarf:

Recorded the game and havent watched it yet, but is that the feeling amongst the Gooner faithful ? Bt were suggesting that the selection of martinez means that arteta see's him as first choice, but then does it mean that saliba, pepe and lacazette are not in his best 11, and does it mean that he rates elninny above torreira ??
Also, does it look likely that he will be sticking with his back 3 formation for the coming season ? I had real hopes that the signing of saliba would see us revert to a back 4, but after today I am not confident it will happen now
Watch the game and cheer up ya miserable bastard :lol:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

augie wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Its my opinion only Augie, i don't know how others feel, but with Xhaka and Elneny in midfield and Holding, Luiz and Bellerin in defence with Nketiah up front that is a relatively weak team but if i'm honest none of them played badly. They weren't great don't get me wrong but with a week less than the dippers to prepare we were, again in my opinion, at a disadvantage but barring the usual pinball when we failed to clear the ball for their goal we actually defended fairly well for most of the match.

Martinez made a couple of smart saves but other than that he wasn't particularly troubled. Debate over him and Leno for the starting place will continue but as yet i haven't seen anything to say he is at the moment worse than Leno and i am leaning towards him as first choice but it is a close run thing.

I get the feeling that Arteta feels we need the back 5 against the better teams to keep things tighter at the back but until we play some poorer teams i have no idea whether he will change the formation, i'd also say it will depend on how Saliba settles in and possibly on whether we sign Gabriel or not.

Arteta definitely for me seems to want us to be a counter attacking team and watching today if we were a bit smarter and quicker to develop the opportunities we had we could and should have scored at least one or two more but i guess it will take time to get the team playing exactly how he wants :rubchin:

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Fuck 'em. Only thing that pissed me off again was the fucking German WWII lettering on the Arsenal shirts !!. Unreadable. :barscarf: :barscarf:

nut flush gooner

Martinez for me is now our number 1. He has now in several games made crucial saves that have made a massive difference to the mood in the club.

When Mane was clean through yesterday at 1-1, would Leno have stuck a reflex hand out to make that save. Martinez has huge stature, he's very agile for a big man and is now consistently making game changing saves.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I rate Leno - he has been one of our best players last two seasons, and he is one of the most consistent keepers in the league as well as being brilliant with the ball at his feet which is clearly important for Arteta.

But Martinez has been superb and it would send a dreadful message to drop him.

nut flush gooner

northbank123 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:53 am
I rate Leno - he has been one of our best players last two seasons, and he is one of the most consistent keepers in the league as well as being brilliant with the ball at his feet which is clearly important for Arteta.

But Martinez has been superb and it would send a dreadful message to drop him.
In season 18/19 Leno made 5 mistakes leading to goals. Last season he made two, from memory quite catastrophic against Watford and Chelski.

Those stats in themselves don't really show the true picture, and we won't know until the end of this Season if Martinez is a better keeper. But at this moment in time if you look at shot stopping, gathering ariel balls, distribution out of defence with both feet then he is the worthy of the number 1 Jersey. Villa are preparing a £10m bid for him, lets not fuck this up.

Arteta should say to him, you play as you are right now and you stay in the side but you are only a few bad games from being dropped. I don't care what Leno thinks tbh, because he isn't a world class goalkeeper, Martinez even at 28 has the potential to be. David Seaman joined Arsenal at age 27 and got better with age.

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

As with the back end of last season you can see a different attitude and belief in the team. Sign Auba up and we could have a half decent season. Arteta isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I think there are good signs in the mentality of the players. As a coach he’s still learning and will make mistakes but I’m optimistic about the future. He’s got some big decisions on who to sell. Maitland-Niles is a big call. His penalty was disgusting!!!

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:03 pm
augie wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Watch the game and cheer up ya miserable bastard :lol:

Like everything else in today's football world, the change in emphasis on charity shield is a bit frustrating - in years gone by it seemed to be always played in front of a packed wembley and in glorious weather, and if your team was in it it was the official start of the season for you. If your club had bought any new players it was your first chance to see them play in a competitive game for the club and to see what new tactical systems or tweaks were gonna be used in the upcoming campaign. Yesterday's game was so far from meeting any of those criteria as you can get, and it does make me wonder if both clubs would have preferred not to play the game if they had a choice :rubchin:
Now that we won it arteta can be happy that it was played cos it helps to build a winning culture within the club, but he has had so few days to work with the players that he would probably have preferred the chance to work on tactics and integrating the new players into the squad with training where everyone is involved.

I understand why many fans want arteta to stick with martinez as number 1 - personally I want Leno to be the main man

augie

Post by augie »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:01 am
As with the back end of last season you can see a different attitude and belief in the team. Sign Auba up and we could have a half decent season. Arteta isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but I think there are good signs in the mentality of the players. As a coach he’s still learning and will make mistakes but I’m optimistic about the future. He’s got some big decisions on who to sell. Maitland-Niles is a big call. His penalty was disgusting!!!

Dont think he has tbh - the players we should be selling (xhaka, ozil, kolasniac and mustafi) there seems to be zero interest in, so the only decision he has is if he is willing to sell players that he shouldnt sell just to generate funds

Herd

Post by Herd »

Winning can become a habit

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Ray C wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:37 am
Fuck 'em. Only thing that pissed me off again was the fucking German WWII lettering on the Arsenal shirts !!. Unreadable. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Was sagst du?

:D