*Red bin dipping murdering filth A Mon 28th Sept KO 8pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: *Red bin dipping murdering filth A Mon 28th Sept KO 8pm

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:45 am
Augie old buddy agree with most of that but Maitland-Bendtner should not be a squad player at a club like Arsenal. He should be a squad player at Palace or Fulham. That is his level. An honest lad and a trier yep that's great but unfortunately he is gash.

Xhakatard should not even be a professional foobler ffs.

And Elninny? Not the worst I've seen but he contributes not very much. Just wanders around giving short passes and tracking about a bit but contributing very little. Again should not be at Arsenal.

Laca is like Welbeck. Seems to have gotten a reputation but with little real quality or consistency to back it up.

Bellend needs to fuck off to the world of fashion that he is so obsessed with. Total gash.

Bellend, laca and the swiss c.unt are first team starters - let's get rid of those c.unts before tackling the issue with squad players like maitland-niles. This was always an issue for me in latter wenger years - he bought players in positions where we already had quality, and ignored positions of need. When I brought up that very point I was criticised and told that we need squad depth :roll: This off season we had a situation where we signed a player (willian) and put him on a big wedge when we already have plenty of players that can play that position - after a w*nk-a-thon over his performance against fulham, does anyone really support the idea of signing him after shi.t performances in every game since ?

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:45 am
Augie old buddy agree with most of that but Maitland-Bendtner should not be a squad player at a club like Arsenal. He should be a squad player at Palace or Fulham. That is his level. An honest lad and a trier yep that's great but unfortunately he is gash.

Xhakatard should not even be a professional foobler ffs.

And Elninny? Not the worst I've seen but he contributes not very much. Just wanders around giving short passes and tracking about a bit but contributing very little. Again should not be at Arsenal.

Laca is like Welbeck. Seems to have gotten a reputation but with little real quality or consistency to back it up.

Bellend needs to fuck off to the world of fashion that he is so obsessed with. Total gash.

Maitland Niles is alright but I question the logic of keeping him and Bellerin if he’d bring in £25m.

Also, the more I watch Leno the more I get an uneasy feeling that we need a new keeper. Leno scares the shit out of me whenever a ball is crossed into our box. That uneasy feeling went away for 3 months after lockdown with Martinez in goal but it’s now returned.

Xhaka is dreadful but we know that. He’s one paced, conservative and is basically shit. I actually prefer Elneny. The only thing Xhaka excels at is falling over and winning cheap free kicks when under pressure :oops: :lol:

As for Laca, there’s no way he’s 29. He’s 40. He looks it and plays like it. He’s in decline and we should cash in ASAP.

On a positive note, Ceballos was superb when he came on. Dynamic, energetic and positive.... everything I hoped Willian would be :shock:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

I haven't read this thread at all, so apologies if anything I write repeats what's already been said. Last night was a wake up call for everybody that was wetting themselves with excitement over the dawn of a new era under Arteta....or Mikel as his acolytes are keen to call him. At best, it's a work in progress and I'll be as optimistic as to say that there are signs that we might be moving in the right direction. However, we're light years away from competing with the best, as last night showed. In fairness to Arteta, we are where many of us on here thought we'd be after the Old Fraud's wrecking ball second decade. We knew it would take at least 3 and probably more like 5 years to get things back on track. Far too early to get excited.

What I really want to talk about is Xhaka. If last night doesn't finally seal it in Arteta's mind (it won't !), then nothing will. He is so fucking useless that it's beyond belief that he's not only still a first choice pick, but that he's still at the club ! Some saps might be fooled by him when we play low grade opposition and his total crapness slips under the radar, but in game's against decent sides he's always shown up. He does all he can to avoid being involved in the game and he displays the biggest trait of all poor players....he doesn't want the ball. I'm always suspicious of players that run around pointing for others to do the work...it's a pure cop out tactic.

Any pressure on him and he'll lose the ball, or hoof it anywhere in a panic stricken hurry....usually to the opposition, into touch, or in the general vicinity of a teammate who is usually being closed down and is in no position to receive the ball. Last night I lost count of how often he lost a challenge that was at least 60% in his favour, the gutless prat. Other than all that, he watches the game take place around him, failing to see (certainly failing to chase) any midfield runners go by him. His other antic is to throw himself to the floor as soon as he comes under any pressure, in the hope of getting a free kick. He isn't even capable of being an oaf of the likes of Robbie Savage, who could at least run around making a nuisance of himself and kicking people !!

Granit Xhaka, an absolutely shocking footballer, the worst centre mid I've ever seen in an Arsenal shirt and it colours my opinion of Arteta that he continues to pick him.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Last edited by Retro Gunner on Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Oh and another thing......I really do fear that we sold the wrong keeper. :( :(

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:45 pm
Oh and another thing......I really do fear that we sold the wrong keeper. :( :(
I'll hold my hands up and say I was one of those saying to keep Leno.

Sadly he is on the way to proving me wrong

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Will we check that on VAR? Nah.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Can no-one see we are so fragile at the back again since Leno returned. We lucked out when he got injured and Emily came in , he is so dominant in his area we weren't being bullied so much anymore. I am a big Arteta fan bit fear he has made a huge mistake here.
As for the game midfield is no surprise our problem area , hopefully that will be resolved this week , we have bigger fish to fry than the murderers , they are not our rivals.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Tony Adams: “Martinez was incredible in their cup run, he was absolutely sensational. What Leno struggles with, for me, is crosses & stuff, but it isn’t about me. Arteta’s gone, ‘Leno is my #1’ & he’s put all his faith in him, but I don’t believe he’s a top four goalkeeper.” #afc https://t.co/439rplCJ8S
Adams on Martinez: “It was like it was written in the stars. This goalkeeper comes in - been at the club for 10 years & not played 10 games & he stops everything! He was a man possessed. For me, he was the #1, but Arteta’s the man & he’s chosen a different goalkeeper [in Leno].” https://t.co/8ldCCXj6pi

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

gooner265 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:32 pm
Tony Adams: “Martinez was incredible in their cup run, he was absolutely sensational. What Leno struggles with, for me, is crosses & stuff, but it isn’t about me. Arteta’s gone, ‘Leno is my #1’ & he’s put all his faith in him, but I don’t believe he’s a top four goalkeeper.” #afc https://t.co/439rplCJ8S
Adams on Martinez: “It was like it was written in the stars. This goalkeeper comes in - been at the club for 10 years & not played 10 games & he stops everything! He was a man possessed. For me, he was the #1, but Arteta’s the man & he’s chosen a different goalkeeper [in Leno].” https://t.co/8ldCCXj6pi
Arteta has fucked up majorly letting Martinez go :( he made a massive contribution to our cup triumph 8) If Leno had been our keeper in the semi and final would we have won it?? A huge part of me says no we wouldn't have..cos Leno isn't as good as Martinez imo.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

falkirk goon wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:37 pm
gooner265 wrote:
Arteta has fucked up majorly letting Martinez go :( he made a massive contribution to our cup triumph 8) If Leno had been our keeper in the semi and final would we have won it?? A huge part of me says no we wouldn't have..cos Leno isn't as good as Martinez imo.
Yep, agree Falkirk. I haven’t felt as confident and secure in keeper for years, as I felt in Martinez. He was statistically the Prem’s best keeper over those 12 or so games and it showed.

He has a big physical presence, commands his box and catches the ball instead of punching and parrying. All that has a calming and reassuring influence on the defence.

I’ve never minded Leno, but he isn’t as solid. His parrying of shots was very iffy last night.

Big mistake has been made.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:23 am
falkirk goon wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:37 pm
gooner265 wrote:
Yep, agree Falkirk. I haven’t felt as confident and secure in keeper for years, as I felt in Martinez. He was statistically the Prem’s best keeper over those 12 or so games and it showed.

He has a big physical presence, commands his box and catches the ball instead of punching and parrying. All that has a calming and reassuring influence on the defence.

I’ve never minded Leno, but he isn’t as solid. His parrying of shots was very iffy last night.

Big mistake has been made.
Massive mistake Retro and one that will probably cost us top4 and any trophies :cry: it'll also probably keep those brummie arsepieces up aswell :censored:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Leno was on course to be our player of the season last year before he got the injury so I wouldn't lose my shit just yet. Give it 10 games and see what's what at that stage.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:33 am
Leno was on course to be our player of the season last year before he got the injury so I wouldn't lose my shit just yet. Give it 10 games and see what's what at that stage.
Agree with you Rodders. Leno was at fault for Mane's goal on Monday and was generally unconvincing throughout. In the earlier game VAR saved Martinez's blushes after he presented the Fulham player with a tap in..They are goalkeepers, it happens. Some of the comments on here around a year ago about Martinez in EFL Cup games were far from complimentary.
Obviously he was brilliant in the run in and the Cup run. But Arteta had to make a choice and it may prove to be the wrong one, but not after three games.

augie

Post by augie »

Bradywasking wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:51 am
rodders999 wrote:
Agree with you Rodders. Leno was at fault for Mane's goal on Monday and was generally unconvincing throughout. In the earlier game VAR saved Martinez's blushes after he presented the Fulham player with a tap in..They are goalkeepers, it happens. Some of the comments on here around a year ago about Martinez in EFL Cup games were far from complimentary.
Obviously he was brilliant in the run in and the Cup run. But Arteta had to make a choice and it may prove to be the wrong one, but not after three games.

Agree 100% with both of ye - my concern with leno has always been his lack of size and the impact that has with dominating the area, but I still believe him to be a quality keeper. Martinez may also turn out to be a quality keeper, but ffs the guy has played something like 15 games in 10 years and people are losing their shit about him as though he is buffoon and gordon banks combined :roll: Fact is that prior to those 3 months he never showed any club that he had what it takes to be a number 1, and because we needed the money we took the first offer on the table - even though I it was my preference that we kept leno, I would have accepted it if it was the other way round because we NEED the money to help us buy a midfielder and people should remember that.

They say that football fans are very fickle nowadays, and nowhere is that more true than in the Gooner nation - two years ago AFC fans were singing "we've got our Arsenal back" just a few months into the emery reign, and most of those fans were the same fans screaming for his sacking 18 months later :roll: I wasnt one of those singing "we've got our Arsenal back" because I felt that it was waaay too soon to assume that even after a good start, but I see the same situation repeating itself re the martinez situation - let's not lose our shit over a keeper that after 10 years had given us 15 very good performance, in the same way that we shouldnt have got carried away with emery.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:25 am
Bradywasking wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:51 am
rodders999 wrote:

Agree 100% with both of ye - my concern with leno has always been his lack of size and the impact that has with dominating the area, but I still believe him to be a quality keeper. Martinez may also turn out to be a quality keeper, but ffs the guy has played something like 15 games in 10 years and people are losing their shit about him as though he is buffoon and gordon banks combined :roll: Fact is that prior to those 3 months he never showed any club that he had what it takes to be a number 1, and because we needed the money we took the first offer on the table - even though I it was my preference that we kept leno, I would have accepted it if it was the other way round because we NEED the money to help us buy a midfielder and people should remember that.

They say that football fans are very fickle nowadays, and nowhere is that more true than in the Gooner nation - two years ago AFC fans were singing "we've got our Arsenal back" just a few months into the emery reign, and most of those fans were the same fans screaming for his sacking 18 months later :roll: I wasnt one of those singing "we've got our Arsenal back" because I felt that it was waaay too soon to assume that even after a good start, but I see the same situation repeating itself re the martinez situation - let's not lose our shit over a keeper that after 10 years had given us 15 very good performance, in the same way that we shouldnt have got carried away with emery.

I don't think anyone on here is "losing their shit" Augie. Some, including me, think that we have let the wrong keeper go. As I said above, I never had anything against Leno and think he's a decent keeper, but I happen to believe that Martinez is better. Those 12 games or so at the end of last season were enough to convince me....ok, it wasn't even half a season, but it wasn't luck or coincidence that he performed so well and it was long enough to make a sound judgement imo. I don't see the relevance of his years out of the limelight, surely we should judge him on what we saw when he was asked to step up.

He commands the box and catches the ball and Leno isn't particularly good at either. He's also better with the ball at his feet. Believing
Emi is the better keeper does not make me anti Leno and I'll keep my fingers crossed that Arteta made the right decision....I just can't help doubting that he did.