Sheff Utd cocks H Sun 4th Oct KO 2pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Retro Gunner

Re: Sheff Utd cocks H Sun 4th Oct KO 2pm

Post by Retro Gunner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:46 pm
If Arteta manages to get this lot into the CL I will eat every piece of humble pie on offer

If Auba gets injured we have the choice of Nketiah and Lacazette to play up top until at least the new year when Martinelli returns

In midfield we have a collection of non scoring, non creating water carriers

At the back we have a Chavski cast off, a converted winger, Southampton's reserve right back, a fat Bosnian walrus, a couple of blokes who have never played in this league before (one about to be loaned off), Shocking Mustavealaff, and the £1.5m "sorry he did not cost 50m" Holding

And we had to sell a keeper to fund err.........nothing at all !

On paper that is an 8th-10th placed team at best

Can't argue with any of that. All I'd add is that in addition to the water carriers in midfield, we have a hopeless liability who plays 12th man for the opposition.

As for league position, I'm thinking between 6th and 8th, based on what we've seen so far.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:39 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:00 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:57 pm
The end of that game should have been a stroll in the park and not the nearly shit the pants nervy finish it turned out to be.

Disappointed in Tierney for allowing McGoldrick to turn inside and shoot so easily for the goal (his customary 1 goal a season :roll: ).

Team without creative player struggles to create shocker I suppose.

El Neny plays the water carrier role well, I’d have him ahead of Xhaka every time. If we are to blow our wad on one player tomorrow it has to be a creative midfielder or else all this season‘s objectives will have already gone down the shitter.
Have to agree about Elninny, he is nowhere good enough but I'd prefer him over Xhaka every day of the week, the main difference being although he doesnt do it often enough he does actually know how to play a forward pass and get it to the player it's meant to get to, he is also less prone to give away pointless fouls and get yellow cards in dangerous areas. On the other hand I'd still rather we went out and bought a proper holding midfielder because Ceballos has to play too deep when alongside either of them :rubchin:

A few on here saying this and I agree. We all know that Elneny isn't the answer, but he's head and shoulders above the Swiss/Albanian sap. He's mobile, looks for the ball, passes accurately (if not creatively) and doesn't get caught in possession....the complete opposite of Xhaka. I had the same opinion before he was loaned out, although I'd still prefer Torreira and / or Guendouzi if the circumstances allowed it. With those two likely to be gone, it has to be Ceballos and Elneny in centre mid. Of course, I'm assuming that, as usual, we won't be adding a quality midfielder today.
And Elneny doesn't throw the Arsenal shirt on the floor, tell the fans to fuck off AND earn £110k a week.. and he tries to pass the ball forward and tackle without giving away needless free-kicks.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:27 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:39 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:00 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:57 pm
The end of that game should have been a stroll in the park and not the nearly shit the pants nervy finish it turned out to be.

Disappointed in Tierney for allowing McGoldrick to turn inside and shoot so easily for the goal (his customary 1 goal a season :roll: ).

Team without creative player struggles to create shocker I suppose.

El Neny plays the water carrier role well, I’d have him ahead of Xhaka every time. If we are to blow our wad on one player tomorrow it has to be a creative midfielder or else all this season‘s objectives will have already gone down the shitter.
Have to agree about Elninny, he is nowhere good enough but I'd prefer him over Xhaka every day of the week, the main difference being although he doesnt do it often enough he does actually know how to play a forward pass and get it to the player it's meant to get to, he is also less prone to give away pointless fouls and get yellow cards in dangerous areas. On the other hand I'd still rather we went out and bought a proper holding midfielder because Ceballos has to play too deep when alongside either of them :rubchin:

A few on here saying this and I agree. We all know that Elneny isn't the answer, but he's head and shoulders above the Swiss/Albanian sap. He's mobile, looks for the ball, passes accurately (if not creatively) and doesn't get caught in possession....the complete opposite of Xhaka. I had the same opinion before he was loaned out, although I'd still prefer Torreira and / or Guendouzi if the circumstances allowed it. With those two likely to be gone, it has to be Ceballos and Elneny in centre mid. Of course, I'm assuming that, as usual, we won't be adding a quality midfielder today.
And Elneny doesn't throw the Arsenal shirt on the floor, tell the fans to fuck off AND earn £110k a week.. and he tries to pass the ball forward and tackle without giving away needless free-kicks.

Yep. No one thinks he's Paddy or Cesc, but I never felt he deserved the abuse he got....especially given the absolute dross we had and still have in the squad. He's ordinary, but does a job and isn't a disastrous liability like ol' club foot.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Sad to see these northern monkeys, along with Burnley struggling this season......

We only got 1 point off Sheff Utd last season, let’s make up for that with 6 this season.

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha