Baldy Dome Pep v Night Fever Hairdo A Sat 17th Oct 530pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GoonerMuzz

Re: Baldy Dome Pep v Night Fever Hairdo A Sat 17th Oct 530pm

Post by GoonerMuzz »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:41 pm
I think it has been said many times before, but we're going to have to get used to watching a lot of sterile football this season. Arteta has made us far more competitive in games, and thank god for that because getting blown away inside 20-30 minutes had become the norm. However, this is the least talented midfield in a generation and whilst Partey is a good addition, he isn't going to contribute much at the other end of the field which is where we are sadly lacking - which for me was why Aouar should have been the signing we made if we could only have afforded one. There isn't a Pires/Freddie or even a Ramsey to burst into the box and score a goal, so when Auba is off song (as he was) we'll always look toothless in games like this

You can rotate now between Xhaka, Elneny, Partey, Willock, Ceballos and it won't make the slightest difference - there isn't a goal or an assist amongst the lot of them. You can't compete at the very top without a player in midfield who contributes at the top end of the play and we are essentially a squad of safety first midfielders with some inconsistent wide players like Pepe and Saka (who was good yesterday)

If Auba gets injured regardless of yesterday's performance, this is a mid-table team. If he scores like he has done the past couple of seasons and we stay relatively injury free its a 6th-8th place team. If Arteta gets them above that he truly would have worked a miracle
It comes to something when i am actually begining to miss Mr Holywood Flicks but we are missing exactly what he could occasionally provide :banghead:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

The Welsh Messi-Lite? Not for me. There's a few of you lads have short memories I'm thinking. :lol:

For every one decent thing he did he managed to completely fuck up 10 other things with the extra touches, the unnecessary flicks, the pointless back heels and the delayed indecisive passes.

No, what we miss is prime era Ozil when he was creating chances and assists for fun and setting PL records doing it. It says everything about us as a club that we have not replaced that capability in midfield since maybe 2017 but probably really since 2015.

But that ship has sailed.

I can't believe we are facing into this season with the midfield we have. It's shocking. :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:53 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:41 pm
I think it has been said many times before, but we're going to have to get used to watching a lot of sterile football this season. Arteta has made us far more competitive in games, and thank god for that because getting blown away inside 20-30 minutes had become the norm. However, this is the least talented midfield in a generation and whilst Partey is a good addition, he isn't going to contribute much at the other end of the field which is where we are sadly lacking - which for me was why Aouar should have been the signing we made if we could only have afforded one. There isn't a Pires/Freddie or even a Ramsey to burst into the box and score a goal, so when Auba is off song (as he was) we'll always look toothless in games like this

You can rotate now between Xhaka, Elneny, Partey, Willock, Ceballos and it won't make the slightest difference - there isn't a goal or an assist amongst the lot of them. You can't compete at the very top without a player in midfield who contributes at the top end of the play and we are essentially a squad of safety first midfielders with some inconsistent wide players like Pepe and Saka (who was good yesterday)

If Auba gets injured regardless of yesterday's performance, this is a mid-table team. If he scores like he has done the past couple of seasons and we stay relatively injury free its a 6th-8th place team. If Arteta gets them above that he truly would have worked a miracle
It comes to something when i am actually begining to miss Mr Holywood Flicks but we are missing exactly what he could occasionally provide :banghead:
"Occasionally" being the key word there. :wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:02 am
The Welsh Messi-Lite? Not for me. There's a few of you lads have short memories I'm thinking. :lol:

For every one decent thing he did he managed to completely fuck up 10 other things with the extra touches, the unnecessary flicks, the pointless back heels and the delayed indecisive passes.

No, what we miss is prime era Ozil when he was creating chances and assists for fun and setting PL records doing it. It says everything about us as a club that we have not replaced that capability in midfield since maybe 2017 but probably really since 2015.

I can't believe we are facing into this season with the midfield we have. It's shocking. :roll:
No short memories here - the bloke was as frustrating as they come, but at least unlike ALL of our current crop of central midfielders he'd weigh in with half a dozen goals and some decent assists. I bet Elneny, Xhaka, Willock, Ceballos and Partey don't score six between them all season. As for Willian - unless we're playing Fulham every week, it doesn't look like he's going to contribute much either.

Yet again I find myself questioning the quality of our academy - where's the Foden type amongst our crop of kids? Is Smith Rowe ever going to be the man who can do it?

Our academy has been unable to produce a top class centre half, creative midfielder or centre forward for as long as I can remember - truly awful, despite the bloated cost of our coaching and scouting network

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:07 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:02 am

No short memories here - the bloke was as frustrating as they come, but at least unlike ALL of our current crop of central midfielders he'd weigh in with half a dozen goals and some decent assists. I bet Elneny, Xhaka, Willock, Ceballos and Partey don't score six between them all season. As for Willian - unless we're playing Fulham every week, it doesn't look like he's going to contribute much either.

Yet again I find myself questioning the quality of our academy - where's the Foden type amongst our crop of kids? Is Smith Rowe ever going to be the man who can do it?

Our academy has been unable to produce a top class centre half, creative midfielder or centre forward for as long as I can remember - truly awful, despite the bloated cost of our coaching and scouting network
All true and another terrible indictment of us as a club. Realistically - and it makes me vomit in my mouth to say it - the last truly world class player we developed from the academy was Cashley A-hole.

I'm hopeful about Smith-Rowe but it's only hope as I've seen very little in his game that convinces me he isn't another Willock or Maitland-Bendtner..... fingers crossed huh? Actually that could be the motto on the front of our Academy.... :|

augie

Post by augie »

Ok, but if smith-rowe doesnt get many chances under this manager, does that mean that he will be written off as not good enough cos arteta doesnt pick him, or will there be a recognition that this manager seems to prefer a policy of experienced players ? The more time goes on, the more convinced I am that this manager will not trust young players, and it really worries me that he will kill martinelli's career with us cos he could be a good un imo

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:47 am
Ok, but if smith-rowe doesnt get many chances under this manager, does that mean that he will be written off as not good enough cos arteta doesnt pick him, or will there be a recognition that this manager seems to prefer a policy of experienced players ? The more time goes on, the more convinced I am that this manager will not trust young players, and it really worries me that he will kill martinelli's career with us cos he could be a good un imo
Tbh I don't agree that he has an agenda against the young players augie. God knows he played Willock and Maitland-Bendtner enough times!! Also I'd consider Tierney a young player. He can't just throw 11 young players on a PL pitch - we'd be getting ass raped 6-0 every game.

But I do agree he is not giving Smith-Rowe enough opportunity to show what he can do. But maybe Arteta is seeing something in training that obviously we are not?

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:54 am
augie wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:47 am
Tbh I don't agree that he has an agenda against the young players augie. God knows he played Willock and Maitland-Bendtner enough times!! Also I'd consider Tierney a young player. He can't just throw 11 young players on a PL pitch - we'd be getting ass raped 6-0 every game.

But I do agree he is not giving Smith-Rowe enough opportunity to show what he can do. But maybe Arteta is seeing something in training that obviously we are not?

And therein lies the problem - he hasnt included saliba in any of his match squads yet and that has led to comments along those lines already and how can that be disproved ? First 2 games after resumption martinelli never seen a second of game time (then he got injured), and similarly until the last few games saka has been behind pepe and willian for those wing spots - some might argue that is a coincidence whilst I believe it is a pattern, but I guess we'll soon see which it is

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Ladies ladies ladies, Smith Rowe is injured (as usual). Keep yer knickers on

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:37 pm
Another Beanhead? Jesus. :|

Is SteveO a fan? :wink:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:53 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:37 pm
Another Beanhead? Jesus. :|

Is SteveO a fan? :wink:
Smith Rowe and old twinkle toes in the same sentence...............how very dare you ! :D