Benfica Bulbeyes A Europa lge last chance saloon Thurs Feb 18th KO 8PM

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
John F

Re: Benfica Bulbeyes A Europa lge last chance saloon Thurs Feb 18th KO 8PM

Post by John F »

It was Aub a who was hopeless yesterday that cost us that game.He fell over twice,misplaced passes and missed two good chances. We played well up until we got near their penalty area then it all fell apart.I do think the weight of previous European failure s plays a part in Arsenal teams.They appear to have that it's going to happen again attitude that makes them lose their composure in front of goal. I am not a fan of carpet slippers but I thought he was the man of the match yesterday which was just as well with Xhak a being his partner.As soon as Xhak a started kicking every one I knew he was going to have a nightmare.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

John F wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:51 am
It was Aub a who was hopeless yesterday that cost us that game.He fell over twice,misplaced passes and missed two good chances. We played well up until we got near their penalty area then it all fell apart.I do think the weight of previous European failure s plays a part in Arsenal teams.They appear to have that it's going to happen again attitude that makes them lose their composure in front of goal. I am not a fan of carpet slippers but I thought he was the man of the match yesterday which was just as well with Xhak a being his partner.As soon as Xhak a started kicking every one I knew he was going to have a nightmare.
Not a fan but yes Ceballos had a decent game TBH

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

markyp wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:50 am
Some pretty crazy comments in my opinion,yes xhaka was useless but overall some decent football against a well organised team who stayed compact throughout.benfica offered very little going forward and we opened them up with some dare i say it ozil-esque through balls,had Aubameyang been bothered wed have sailed through,we just arent ruthless in front of goal right now,that's it,nothing more nothing less.im not over the moon with Arteta like many but to slate him just for the sake of it is moronic
Marky, he's 65 games into his tenure as manager mate, and that's the first time he's picked the same side 2 games in a row.

65 games - not 10, 20, 30.........we aren't any closer to knowing what our preferred line up is now, than we were when he took over. What's galling is that Xhaka and Bellerin are the two most consistent picks amongst that endless sea of changes. Yes Auba should have scored, but his attitude and performance was shocking. Augie, just called it - why not offer Lacazette 30 mins when his confidence was soaring? What game is it that Martinelli at 19 years old is finally being rested for?

Yes Auba missing a chance can't be laid at the manager's door, any more than ESR giving away a penalty. Those things are totally beyond even the best manager's reach. But not picking the same team for 60+ games, and those other points I've highlighted above are why a number of us are sick to the back teeth of it. If we were really unlucky I wouldn't be saying it. I just see us with no pattern to our play, playing tedious slow paced football and alienating some of our better players

Well organised is a compliment to Benfica. They are a shocking side - playing at this level for the first time in well over a decade and miles off the pace in Portugal. They're 4th in a league where 3 teams have won just about everything and the rest are Championship standard. Lets not get fooled by the history and prestige of Benfica's name - this is a team that would be battling it out with Brighton and Burnley in our league at best. Some would say they're well organised too......but we get fucked off to high heaven when we don't beat them

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:37 am
I will actually give Getafe some credit for once - thought he was one of the best out there but given what he was surrounded by, it speaks volumes
Agree with you about Ceballos. I thought he had a decent game. Constantly dropping deep to demand the ball from Luiz and Gabriel. Although ultimately nothing came from his posession as is the norm.

I remember an early game of his I watched on bein sports. Arrogant cock Maureen was a pundit in the studio and was asked about Ceballos. Maureen's summary was something like "very good technically but he won't hurt you." Pretty accurate I'd say.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clummo99 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:29 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
I will actually give Getafe some credit for once - thought he was one of the best out there but given what he was surrounded by, it speaks volumes
Agree with you about Ceballos. I thought he had a decent game. Constantly dropping deep to demand the ball from Luiz and Gabriel. Although ultimately nothing came from his posession as is the norm.

I remember an early game of his I watched on bein sports. Arrogant cock Maureen was a pundit in the studio and was asked about Ceballos. Maureen's summary was something like "very good technically but he won't hurt you." Pretty accurate I'd say.
Pretty much bang on - albeit at least this time he did play an excellent through ball to Saka in the build up of the goal. Normally though it's neat and tidy, twists and turns but usually ends up backwards and sideways. And if he changed from wearing slippers to decent boots he might not slip over every five minutes too! In any event, he was head and shoulders above that gormless Swiss plank next to him who seemed hellbent on providing Benfica with the assists they couldn't provide themselves!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clummo99 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:29 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:

It's why I call him Hleballos. Reminds me so much of Hleb. Lots of nice technical touches, nice skill, but nine times out of ten fuck all end product.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

It's obvious Cellabos has really good footballing skills/ ball control but he never seems to do much with those skills. Pity because if he could he could be the replacement we've been yearning for since Santi left. :?

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Bloody hell it's 1991 all over again!

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

If we can't make it past this pub team - 16 points behind the league leaders in the pub league and unable to finish above Rangers - I'd love to know what the last remaining defence of El Beige is going to be. Apparently we were ok tossing the cup away because we were saving ourselves for a push for the top 4 and winning this....

This lot are absolutely fucking useless. Spurs preferred Eric Dier to Vertonghen, and Adel Taarabt preferred KFC to QPR.........that's how shit they are

Should be cruising it by 3 or more