Welcome Martin (Freddy Adu) Odegaard

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
User avatar
Nos89
Posts: 3737
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:44 am

Re: Welcome Martin (Freddy Adu) Odegaard

Post by Nos89 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:19 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:16 am
Done a bit of research on his previous loan spells and he seems a genuine quality player. Player of the year at Heereven in his loan there, and at Real sociedad. If he settles quickly another year on loan will be good, as I can't see Real Madrid selling him if he turns out as good as he has played at his previous loan clubs.
Everything looks right about him but my fear with these six month loans is that they only seem to be getting used to the English game, before the deal is up.......so another 12 months might be the way to go. Having said that Ceballos looks every bit as awful now as he did last season so counters that argument!
Still no sure why we re-signed ceballos on loan? the only reason i can think of is that arteta had decided on getting rid of guendouzi, torreira and ozil. Ceballos was just midfield cover. But to be outshone by Elneny and Xhaka tells you what arteta really thinks of ceballos.

User avatar
Nos89
Posts: 3737
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:44 am

Re: Welcome Martin (Freddy Adu) Odegaard

Post by Nos89 »

A couple of games in to his Arsenal career. I still haven't seen anything better from him, than we haven't already seen from ESR. I'd play ESR in that no.10 role ahead of Odegaard.

User avatar
GoonerMuzz
Posts: 4817
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:53 pm
Location: Defending is optional

Re: Welcome Martin (Freddy Adu) Odegaard

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:57 am
A couple of games in to his Arsenal career. I still haven't seen anything better from him, than we haven't already seen from ESR. I'd play ESR in that no.10 role ahead of Odegaard.
Depends on what you want for your number 10, ESR is a ball player, Odegaard by all accounts is a passer although he also seems to have good feet.

Christ I cant believe how tainted this forum has become at times, he's played 4 times for us ESR 15, he is currently adapting to a new team, new league and new country whereas ESR came up through our own ranks so has only needed to take a step up within his club. By the way I guess you all failed to notice the way they were interchanging positions against Benfica which if we'd actually had a CM and DM who could pass forward the other night would have caused serious problems, right now our managers insistence that everything goes down the flanks fails both players when in the 10 role

I get the argument about him being a loan player so shouldnt get priority in preferred position but seriously stop with the comparisons when they are different types of 10. You're all beginning to sound like you are part of Augies tinfoil hat, conspiracy theory anti-Arteta Facebook group :wink:

We have much bigger problems than who should play no 10, for example Xhaka, Bellerin, Luiz, Ceballos as regular starters, tedious sideways wengerball play, no proper target when we get down the flanks and cross the ball, an inability to shoot from range and players taking too long to shoot before being closed down...... seriously having two decent looking no 10s is no bad thing especially if one or both can play wide or play in a free roaming role :roll:

A11M11
Posts: 1500
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:07 am

Re: Welcome Martin (Freddy Adu) Odegaard

Post by A11M11 »

I know it's about 14 years ago but I remember beating City 3 -1 . We had Cesc , Hleb and Rosicky playing with Gilberto holding the midfield . Our play that day was scintillating . I think Adebayor was up front
Maybe when Partey is fit we will see him with ESR , Saka and Odegaard and Auba leading. Although I believe that ESR and Saka play better with Lacazette .

User avatar
DB10GOONER
Posts: 50553
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland.
Contact:

Re: Welcome Martin (Freddy Adu) Odegaard

Post by DB10GOONER »

A11M11 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:17 pm
I know it's about 14 years ago but I remember beating City 3 -1 . We had Cesc , Hleb and Rosicky playing with Gilberto holding the midfield . Our play that day was scintillating . I think Adebayor was up front
Maybe when Partey is fit we will see him with ESR , Saka and Odegaard and Auba leading. Although I believe that ESR and Saka play better with Lacazette .
I remember that game well but unfortunately for every one of those games, there were two or three games where Rosicky was injured and Barndoor could not hit the proverbial, and five or six games where the circle dribbler Hleb was abysmal.

User avatar
augie
Posts: 27122
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Welcome Martin (Freddy Adu) Odegaard

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:37 am
Nos89 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:57 am
A couple of games in to his Arsenal career. I still haven't seen anything better from him, than we haven't already seen from ESR. I'd play ESR in that no.10 role ahead of Odegaard.
Depends on what you want for your number 10, ESR is a ball player, Odegaard by all accounts is a passer although he also seems to have good feet.

Christ I cant believe how tainted this forum has become at times, he's played 4 times for us ESR 15, he is currently adapting to a new team, new league and new country whereas ESR came up through our own ranks so has only needed to take a step up within his club. By the way I guess you all failed to notice the way they were interchanging positions against Benfica which if we'd actually had a CM and DM who could pass forward the other night would have caused serious problems, right now our managers insistence that everything goes down the flanks fails both players when in the 10 role

I get the argument about him being a loan player so shouldnt get priority in preferred position but seriously stop with the comparisons when they are different types of 10. You're all beginning to sound like you are part of Augies tinfoil hat, conspiracy theory anti-Arteta Facebook group :wink:

We have much bigger problems than who should play no 10, for example Xhaka, Bellerin, Luiz, Ceballos as regular starters, tedious sideways wengerball play, no proper target when we get down the flanks and cross the ball, an inability to shoot from range and players taking too long to shoot before being closed down...... seriously having two decent looking no 10s is no bad thing especially if one or both can play wide or play in a free roaming role :roll:



Buddy you can dismiss my arguments as "tin hit" if it makes you feel better, but the reality is this -

We had a player in smith-rowe that wasnt just part of our revival, he was an integral part of it - why would you move him from the position when he was doing so well ? There is no fcuking logic in the world that can explain that, and when you add in that you are shafting him for a player that will only be here for a few months, then that goes way beyond scandalous management imo.
You make a valid point when saying that odegaard has only played a few times, but that only raises more question marks about why you would shaft smith-rowe for a guy who will take a while to get used to the league, and when there is only a third of the season left, it makes less sense.
Now for me if you moved him into the 8 (alongside partey for example), then you are at least tackling a position of need in the team, but that isnt in his plans - you have to ask yourself why he would rather shaft smith-rowe than replace either xhaka or ceballos, cos to the regular eye it is suggesting a loyalty to some players over and above what they are entitled, and possibly to the detriment of the team

gooner265
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:15 pm

Re: Welcome Martin (Freddy Adu) Odegaard

Post by gooner265 »

I'd rather have them both in the team than Willian or Pepe and if he does well which I think he will I believe we will sign him permanently.
Our problem is the centre midfield, once that is addressed we have the makings of a very good side.

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 18718
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: Welcome Martin (Freddy Adu) Odegaard

Post by SteveO 35 »

When the lad has the ball at his feet, there is undoubted talent there and some of his passing was great the other night. My issue is that he's not in the game that much, which is entirely expected when he's played little football and even when he has it has been for Real Madrid against lesser lights. Some of our greatest playmakers have taken at least a year to adapt to the pace and physicality of the PL, which is why I think these loan moves for a few months are a massive gamble.....and one which normally doesn't pay off. I like the look of the lad, but unless it was guaranteed he was here next season I think we'll see him playing in fits and starts

User avatar
Nos89
Posts: 3737
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:44 am

Re: Welcome Martin (Freddy Adu) Odegaard

Post by Nos89 »

Personally, I'd prefer we played martinelli starting and interchanging with Auba. Martinelli, is in desperate need of in match confidence. It's clear to me he hasn't mentality gotten over his injury and needs more match time.
Odegaard is no doubt a very talented player. But I'd rather have players building on field partnership for next season rather than with someone who isn't going to be available to us in 6 months time.

User avatar
GoonerMuzz
Posts: 4817
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:53 pm
Location: Defending is optional

Re: Welcome Martin (Freddy Adu) Odegaard

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:22 am
Personally, I'd prefer we played martinelli starting and interchanging with Auba. Martinelli, is in desperate need of in match confidence. It's clear to me he hasn't mentality gotten over his injury and needs more match time.
Odegaard is no doubt a very talented player. But I'd rather have players building on field partnership for next season rather than with someone who isn't going to be available to us in 6 months time.
Personally I'd rather we had got a replacement for Xhaka, Ceballos or both but in terms of Odegaard and ESR both work for us, the problem is accommodating them at the same time in the current set up. People are becoming too focused on playing one type of football but some of the best teams under Wenger played interchangeable players/positions and we need to get back to that. To do that we need a solid and settled back 4 and DM which we still do not have so anything in front of them becomes almost irrelevant. I wonder if Odegaard could play the 8 role if he had a solid DM next to him with ESR as the 10 in front, unfortunately playing alongside Xhaka limits whoever his partner is......

User avatar
GoonerMuzz
Posts: 4817
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:53 pm
Location: Defending is optional

Re: Welcome Martin (Freddy Adu) Odegaard

Post by GoonerMuzz »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:14 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:22 am
Personally, I'd prefer we played martinelli starting and interchanging with Auba. Martinelli, is in desperate need of in match confidence. It's clear to me he hasn't mentality gotten over his injury and needs more match time.
Odegaard is no doubt a very talented player. But I'd rather have players building on field partnership for next season rather than with someone who isn't going to be available to us in 6 months time.
Personally I'd rather we had got a replacement for Xhaka, Ceballos or both but in terms of Odegaard and ESR both work for us, the problem is accommodating them at the same time in the current set up. People are becoming too focused on playing one type of football but some of the best teams under Wenger played interchangeable players/positions and we need to get back to that. To do that we need a solid and settled back 4 and DM which we still do not have so anything in front of them becomes almost irrelevant. I wonder if Odegaard could play the 8 role if he had a solid DM next to him with ESR as the 10 in front, unfortunately playing alongside Xhaka limits whoever his partner is......
Just something to add to the above, I'd prefer not to play our best young players too much because every time they play their price tag goes up and our cuntish owners are more likely to sell them because of financial difficulties this summer, I already expect Martinelli and possibly one of ESR or Saka 'having'to be sold to balance the clubs losses....

User avatar
Nos89
Posts: 3737
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:44 am

Re: Welcome Martin (Freddy Adu) Odegaard

Post by Nos89 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:14 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:22 am
Personally, I'd prefer we played martinelli starting and interchanging with Auba. Martinelli, is in desperate need of in match confidence. It's clear to me he hasn't mentality gotten over his injury and needs more match time.
Odegaard is no doubt a very talented player. But I'd rather have players building on field partnership for next season rather than with someone who isn't going to be available to us in 6 months time.
Personally I'd rather we had got a replacement for Xhaka, Ceballos or both but in terms of Odegaard and ESR both work for us, the problem is accommodating them at the same time in the current set up. People are becoming too focused on playing one type of football but some of the best teams under Wenger played interchangeable players/positions and we need to get back to that. To do that we need a solid and settled back 4 and DM which we still do not have so anything in front of them becomes almost irrelevant. I wonder if Odegaard could play the 8 role if he had a solid DM next to him with ESR as the 10 in front, unfortunately playing alongside Xhaka limits whoever his partner is......
I was thinking the same thing. Drop him alongside Partey. He has the build for it.

User avatar
SteveO 35
Posts: 18718
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 7:01 pm
Location: Abou's fan club

Re: Welcome Martin (Freddy Adu) Odegaard

Post by SteveO 35 »

Very lightweight again today. The poor lad will only just be adapting when the season is over

Not his fault but he's way off the pace

Post Reply