Wolverhampton Wanksocks A Tue 2nd Feb KO 6pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
robbo10

Re: Wolverhampton Wanksocks A Tue 2nd Feb KO 6pm

Post by robbo10 »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:36 am
augie wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:39 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:55 pm
An actual quote by @btsportfootball’s Peter Walton: “The idea of VAR is not to actually come to the correct decision

Peter Walton was practically orgasmic when stating that it was the right decision, and I think went so far as to be critical of luiz by stating it wasa his 4th red card for us and he'll never learn
I agree 100% with rodders when he says how flawed the rule is because you can see that luiz made no effort to tackle or foul him - how can a player be treated the same if he tried to break him up ? If they never brought in the double punishment rule then I think we would have all accepted it cos there was contact so automatically it would be red - the problem is (as always) the interpretation refs choose to put on these rules
And that's the most fucking infuriating thing about it Augie, that because he didn't attempt a challenge at all he's deemed to have committed the same offence as a player who crudely and cynically hauls someone down. Absolute bollocks.

And as has been mentioned on several match threads (including this one) the amount of crucial, match changing, VAR decisions involving us that are looked at and adjudicated upon in matter of seconds, with none of the minute level of scrutiny that is given to other incidents, is now becoming a common trend.

Fernandes rake down the back of Xhaka at the weekend was another one for instance. Cheats :banghead:
The ref will hide behind his safety barrier of “well that’s the ruling so it’s the correct decision”, and he’ll get backed by the faceless cowards at the caravan in the sky,Peter Walton couldn’t wait to back this ref,saying he was 100% correct,common sense is gone,on a similar vein,in the Bournemouth game their defender took a Wednesday player out waist height in the box and it was a penalty only,I don’t think he even got booked,let alone sent off,I think the saying is The law is an ass,

The VAR decisions have cost us big time,disallowed goal v Leicester,which we lost,shirt pulls not given at Sheffield united,shirt pulls against v Liverpool a week later given,the Saha dive overruled,maybe because we are a soft touch now with a spineless manager we ain’t getting them.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:52 pm
The double jeopardy rule is divided into two parts - 1. giving the benefit to a player who makes a genuine attempt to win the ball and 2. seriously punishing the player who makes no attempt to win it.

That way a player who mistimes a tackle by a fraction of a second, just missing the ball and bringing someone down doesn’t get the double punishment of a red card and a penalty, but the player who scythes someone down when going through on goal gets the maximum punishment of both.

It’s actually a very good rule but what happened tonight made a complete fucking abortion of it.

Because side show made no attempt to win the ball (because he did fuck all but run back) he gets put in the same category as the player who purposely cleans out the attacker going through.

They are taking the term “‘making no attempt to win the ball” and using it fucking literally when that was never the intention of the law.

Dragging someone down or hacking their ankles is what making no attempt to win the ball means, but they’ve now adjudged not making any challenge at all as “making no attempt to win the ball”.

That is taking the rule and applying completely fucked up logic to it. Because you haven’t done anything then you haven’t made an attempt to win the ball? Are you fucking kidding me?
You literally could not make it up. Completely nonsensical refereeing and VAR adjudication.

augie

Post by augie »

I have just watched the espn coverage of the red card and to a man every single one of them (craig burley, shaka hislop and frank leboeuf) was critical of the decision. Burley in particular was critical of the perceived law, but hislop put the blame on the referee who he said should have used his own discretion like they do in many incidents - he also said that he was part of the advisory panel who advised fifa on this rule and that referee's are CHOOSING in interpret the rule this way purely because there is no mention of incidental or accidental foul in the way the rule is written.

I know pep's coneboy came out straight away after the came saying that they will appeal luiz's red card, but is there any point if the rule (or it's interpretation) is viewed that way ?

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Its the rule makers that need bashing not the refs. If the ref had made the wrong decisions I'd slam him. What he's getting slammed for here is having his initiative removed by the powers that be, who judge him solely on his ability to apply the rules to 100% letter of the law

As Rodders highlighted the rule is crass - it needs changing. Until it is I can't blame refs for applying it - I just blame the cretins that are their rule makers who have removed the ability for them to think on their feet and apply basic common sense

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:17 am
Its the rule makers that need bashing not the refs. If the ref had made the wrong decisions I'd slam him. What he's getting slammed for here is having his initiative removed by the powers that be, who judge him solely on his ability to apply the rules to 100% letter of the law

As Rodders highlighted the rule is crass - it needs changing. Until it is I can't blame refs for applying it - I just blame the cretins that are their rule makers who have removed the ability for them to think on their feet and apply basic common sense

As I said earlier, shaka hislop maintains that the rule doesnt say that a player must be sent off, but the referee's are choosing to interpret it that a player must go in every other circumstance bar making a genuine attempt to win the ball

I would like to see the official rule wording

corkbarry

Post by corkbarry »

Study this at your ease ,which one is a more obvious penalty.

https://streamable.com/h70l1s

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

“In real time, it’s understandable that Craig Pawson thought it was red, but VAR should have overturned it straight away.

“There is no intent from Luiz, he didn’t try to make a tackle. All it takes is one look at the replay and it’s clear that the contact – if you can call it that – came when Willian Jose pulled his foot back to shoot and clipped Luiz’s knee.

Thynker

Post by Thynker »

Probably the worst refereeing performance I've seen for a long time.

1. Played on after the alloted two minutes added

2. Gave a quick penalty and red card which on multiple replays I struggle to find contact in.

3. VAR must have tossed a coin and heads was a red because they didn't have time to look at anything else properly.

4. Needless freekicks awarded. One where Pepe took the ball off someone's toe awarded. Arteta rightly annoyed.

5. When Leno was sent off ( as he should have been) it was actually for the wrong offence! No way was it a goalscoring opportunity, the ball would have run wide. Should have been for deliberate handball.

Arteta though made a huge mistake in taking off Lacazette. A striker needs to be left up top to give an outlet.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Regardless of the result, Pawson needs investigating. His officiating last night was shocking and if some of his decisions weren't bought and paid for then he needs demoting to the lower leagues,

Playing beyond the 2 additional mins when Wolves had the ball was suspect. The pen/red card decision was wrong, the lack of VAR analysis was very suspect. The Leno one I can't moan about, to be honest. Arguably never a goal scoring oppertunity but it shouldn't have even happened, it was total stupidity on Leno's part.

Not sure why Pawson was smiling and joking with the Wolves players after the game either.

John F

Post by John F »

corkbarry wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:39 am

It was John Moss in the var room. He was probably tucking into a cream cake as he thought the half was over and could not be bothered to look at it properly.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

John F wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:12 pm
corkbarry wrote:

It was John Moss in the var room. He was probably tucking into a cream cake as he thought the half was over and could not be bothered to look at it properly.
He played at least 2m 34 secs after the additional 2 mins....

looking at Leno getting sent off, that was totally stupid thing to do, why not stoop to head it ....FFS?

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

John F wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:12 pm
corkbarry wrote:

I've been told on good authority that he's strictly a pie man. Particularly fond of the Balti variety served up in the Midlands.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Nothing to add to what's been said really but need to take the positives out of it of which there were many in the first half, we need to draw a line and move on as the first team is taking shape now. Get Gabriel back in there and Tierney back which I would hope means cedric to right back and we have a much more balanced team. Pepe is clearly much better on the left and think I prefer saka on the right and seems to get more scoring opportunities from that side , also showed last night his right foot is a weapon too.
Agree i was amazes Laca came off , the clever sub for me would have been Saka to left back and Cedric to right as neither Saka or pepe deserved to come off.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Confirmed: Arsenal are appealing David Luiz's red card against Wolves last night.

More on @standardsport shortly.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:22 pm
Confirmed: Arsenal are appealing David Luiz's red card against Wolves last night.

More on @standardsport shortly.
It's only one game , play Gabriel and get on with it, him and Holding are my partnership of choice anyway.