Benfica Bawbags N Thur 25th Feb KO 555pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonersid

Re: Benfica Bawbags N Thur 25th Feb KO 555pm

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:47 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:56 am
How the hell could anyone not want us to win this competition? We've lost our fucking minds if that's where we're at.

It's not that I do or dont want us to win this competition, it's that I am largely indifferent (mainly cos I have no confidence that we will win it). My ethos and ambitions have not changed over the past 3 seasons - I want to see us improving all the time more than I want to see short term success. Can anyone say with belief that winning the cup last season has made us a better team ? Does any fan really believe that this is a team heading in the right direction ?
I simply want to be able to make a definitive call on Arteta, based on our league position, without a "cup" win blurring my view.
I don't necessary demand top 4 given a poor start, I do demand however that we finish above the likes of West Ham and Villa.
Either way I still think he will be here next season, that's why, with fans back at games it's important that they are not divided on Arteta, a cup win will do just that!!
If he hasn't taken us to a respectable league finish, then has a poor start again next season, then things will become very uncomfortable for him.
I'm still hoping he can put a run of wins together, because there has in my view been some signs of improvement, he has until May!

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
rodders999 wrote:
How the hell could anyone not want us to win this competition? We've lost our fucking minds if that's where we're at.

It's not that I do or dont want us to win this competition, it's that I am largely indifferent (mainly cos I have no confidence that we will win it). My ethos and ambitions have not changed over the past 3 seasons - I want to see us improving all the time more than I want to see short term success. Can anyone say with belief that winning the cup last season has made us a better team ? Does any fan really believe that this is a team heading in the right direction ?
I know what you're saying, I would absolutely love us to win it but deep down I know that we'll be gone after we get drawn against the first half decent team left in it (that's if we don't get fucked out tonight :shock: )

We fucked it away in Wenger's last season when we had Atletico on the ropes in that home semi and were excellent until the debacle in the final in Emery's first year in charge, we should have won one of those years easily but bottled it both times.

In Wenger's last year the minute the knockout rounds began I knew Ateltico would be the only team that could stop us from winning it and so it proved, similarly the year after it was going to be the chavs or us.

This time around I think there's a host of teams that could eliminate us, I can't see us getting past united or Leicester, fuck knows how we'd manage to balls it up against the scum but you wouldn't bet against it and then you have the like of Milan, Napoli, Roma and Ajax who would also cause us problems.

Even our old friends Olympiacos are still in it :shock:

We're fucked!!!

Rob Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rob Admin »

Remember being starved of European nights and going to the old Highbury to watch testimonial vs Milan, even that felt special and different, under the flood lights against a "foreign" team. I know the world has changed, football has changed and we have been spoilt with 20 years of European football back to back, but I don't think any of these are the reason that I'm just "mehhh" about tonight's game, can I be bothered to invest the time and energy? "meeeh!" :shock:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Rob Admin wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:46 pm
Remember being starved of European nights and going to the old Highbury to watch testimonial vs Milan, even that felt special and different, under the flood lights against a "foreign" team. I know the world has changed, football has changed and we have been spoilt with 20 years of European football back to back, but I don't think any of these are the reason that I'm just "mehhh" about tonight's game, can I be bothered to invest the time and energy? "meeeh!" :shock:
We died as a football club when we left Highbury, yes there was great excitement and pride when the new stadium opened and was praised by the media and other fans.
Now with hindsight, we sold our soul and we will never ever get it back.
The club is now a business and a poorly run one at that.
I couldn't give a flying fuck about tonights game and I'm only kidding myself that I give a fuck about anything to do with Arsenal anymore.

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:22 pm
augie wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

I simply want to be able to make a definitive call on Arteta, based on our league position, without a "cup" win blurring my view.
I don't necessary demand top 4 given a poor start, I do demand however that we finish above the likes of West Ham and Villa.
Either way I still think he will be here next season, that's why, with fans back at games it's important that they are not divided on Arteta, a cup win will do just that!!
If he hasn't taken us to a respectable league finish, then has a poor start again next season, then things will become very uncomfortable for him.
I'm still hoping he can put a run of wins together, because there has in my view been some signs of improvement, he has until May!

I see people say how shit this season is and how even the good teams are losing games to the shit teams, and I think that has to be good for us cos if the standard of the top teams is dropping, it must bring us closer to them.......we are 11th and in bottom half of the table - teams like the shammers, villa, everton and the scum are above us, so what does that say about your signs of improvement ? Reality is that we are getting WORSE not better - dont take my word for it, just look at the results and (more importantly) the performances, and then tell me how in gods name you can see improvement

I am not expecting a change of manager before next christmas (at the earliest) and that sums up why I feel so much disenfranchised from the modern AFC - this club would never have accepted such mediocrity pre wenger, but now they are happy enough just to drift aimlessly along with no plan in sight. If this fool doesnt get european football for next season then the financial blow might be enough to see him removed, but imo it is more likely that excuses will be made cos of covid disruptions even though leeds, villa and the shammers all lived through those same disruptions. At the end of the day the people who want to believe, will always find some excuse to deflect with

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

for anyone who doesn't think tonight is a big deal please remember that if we should lose we are by no means guaranteed European football next season - so this could be the last European game for the foreseeable future.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:20 pm
for anyone who doesn't think tonight is a big deal please remember that if we should lose we are by no means guaranteed European football next season - so this could be the last European game for the foreseeable future.
And?????

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:

And if we leave the manager completely out of this for a minute, would that be such a bad thing ? Kroenke's are bad for this club. They care in nothing except profits, and losing tv money and exposure/credibility might force a change in how this club is run. Will it force a change of ownership ? Probably not, but it might shine a spotlight on the failings of a system that goes cheap on managers and goes cheap on players. Thursday night football sucks, and I mean really, really sucks, so being out of it would not upset me one jot

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
goonersid wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:22 pm
augie wrote:
rodders999 wrote:

I see people say how shit this season is and how even the good teams are losing games to the shit teams, and I think that has to be good for us cos if the standard of the top teams is dropping, it must bring us closer to them.......we are 11th and in bottom half of the table - teams like the shammers, villa, everton and the scum are above us, so what does that say about your signs of improvement ? Reality is that we are getting WORSE not better - dont take my word for it, just look at the results and (more importantly) the performances, and then tell me how in gods name you can see improvement

I am not expecting a change of manager before next christmas (at the earliest) and that sums up why I feel so much disenfranchised from the modern AFC - this club would never have accepted such mediocrity pre wenger, but now they are happy enough just to drift aimlessly along with no plan in sight. If this fool doesnt get european football for next season then the financial blow might be enough to see him removed, but imo it is more likely that excuses will be made cos of covid disruptions even though leeds, villa and the shammers all lived through those same disruptions. At the end of the day the people who want to believe, will always find some excuse to deflect with
Improvement? I don't think we go into big games looking like we will get beat 5,6,7,8 and we seem to be able to dig in and not capitulate.
It's not much of an improvement, but it's more than we had under wengers later years and every game we went into under Emery.
The club can make all the excuses they like for a poor lge finish, but without a backdoor euro place, the fans wont buy it!

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal XI: Leno; Bellerin, Luiz, Gabriel, Tierney; Xhaka, Ceballos; Saka, Odegaard, Smith Rowe, Aubameyang

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:44 pm
Arsenal XI: Leno; Bellerin, Luiz, Gabriel, Tierney; Xhaka, Ceballos; Saka, Odegaard, Smith Rowe, Aubameyang
Is Abou Partay on the bench?

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

Thanks christ theres a lot of subs, no idea how Bellerin and xhaka do it......Obviously have pictures of arteta doing something he shouldnt be.

Block93

Post by Block93 »

That's a pretty odd team. How can you have Odegard, Smith Rowe and Saka all playing?

Either he thinks Benfica are not very good and will just roll over, or..................

............he's doing another Southampton in the FA Cup and happy to get knocked out to concentrate on the League.

There's no plausible third explanation . (Like it's our strongest team available.)

It is not very encouraging. In fact, it is massively concerning.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

augie wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:29 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:

And if we leave the manager completely out of this for a minute, would that be such a bad thing ? Kroenke's are bad for this club. They care in nothing except profits, and losing tv money and exposure/credibility might force a change in how this club is run. Will it force a change of ownership ? Probably not, but it might shine a spotlight on the failings of a system that goes cheap on managers and goes cheap on players. Thursday night football sucks, and I mean really, really sucks, so being out of it would not upset me one jot
It wouldn't bother me in the least either. As a supporter I certainly wouldn't miss Thursday night matches against the dregs of European club football.
Last edited by Clummo99 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xgtdec

Post by xgtdec »

Clummo99 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:12 pm
augie wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:29 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:

It wouldn't bother me in the least either. As a supporter I certainly wouldn't miss Thursday night football against the dregs of European club football.
:D I wonder are Benfica fans saying the exact same thing :D