Playing out from the back

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
User avatar
Natural Born Gooner
Posts: 1442
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:06 pm
Location: Taking aim, ready to FIRE!

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

They showed it on MOTD, Tierney had time and space to give it to Xhaktard who was in acres of space away from the 18 yard box but he chose to check back and pass to Mari. I like Tierney and don't want to seem like I'm digging him out, but he's getting awfully negative with his passing when he has the ability to bring the play and drive forward. :?

User avatar
augie
Posts: 27223
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:03 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:06 am
The goal was Leno’s fault as much as Xhaka’s.

Leno should know better than putting the ball in a position where xhaka had no choice but to use his wooden leg.

I have now come to the conclusion we not only sold the better goalkeeper, but based on what I have seen Martinez is the best goalkeeper in the PL this season. For sure he would have chipped the ball out in that situation rather than trusted xhaka.



Stop. Just stop. He passed it to a guy who had time and space and the guy he passed it to fcuked up royally. The blame is xhaka's and xhaka's alone unless you want to add arteta's suicidal playing out from the back tactics :roll: Xhaka seen how partey came short and could play from the back in the move that led to our goal, and he thought "I'll have some of that" - the problem is of course that xhaka is basically a shit footballer who geta away with crap cos he points a lot.

His mistakes yesterday could/ should have led to two other goals against us, and again that is down to a lack of quality on his behalf and not on those players alongside him

nut flush gooner
Posts: 3497
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by nut flush gooner »

augie wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:55 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:06 am
The goal was Leno’s fault as much as Xhaka’s.

Leno should know better than putting the ball in a position where xhaka had no choice but to use his wooden leg.

I have now come to the conclusion we not only sold the better goalkeeper, but based on what I have seen Martinez is the best goalkeeper in the PL this season. For sure he would have chipped the ball out in that situation rather than trusted xhaka.



Stop. Just stop. He passed it to a guy who had time and space and the guy he passed it to fcuked up royally. The blame is xhaka's and xhaka's alone unless you want to add arteta's suicidal playing out from the back tactics :roll: Xhaka seen how partey came short and could play from the back in the move that led to our goal, and he thought "I'll have some of that" - the problem is of course that xhaka is basically a shit footballer who geta away with crap cos he points a lot.

His mistakes yesterday could/ should have led to two other goals against us, and again that is down to a lack of quality on his behalf and not on those players alongside him
Augie, it's a simple decision do you clear your lines or pass it to Xhaka on his right foot. It's not even a discussion. Leno can see Xhaka has his back to play and what's going on behind him,

They are both at fault. Whatever happened to collective responsibility.

xisstential
Posts: 4265
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:33 am

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by xisstential »

The better option for Xhaka, because he is so poor, would have been to hoof the ball out to touch on the opposite side with his left foot. But obviously after calling for the ball he wasn't going to do that. As for Tierney not giving it to Xhaka, good for him, sound judgement. Leno should have known better as well, how can he possibly trust Xhaka...would you??? He should have hoofed it up field...to hell with Arteta....what's he gonna do, drop him?

Redarmy
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:45 pm
Location: Avenell Road

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by Redarmy »

xisstential wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:06 pm
The better option for Xhaka, because he is so poor, would have been to hoof the ball out to touch on the opposite side with his left foot. But obviously after calling for the ball he wasn't going to do that. As for Tierney not giving it to Xhaka, good for him, sound judgement. Leno should have known better as well, how can he possibly trust Xhaka...would you??? He should have hoofed it up field...to hell with Arteta....what's he gonna do, drop him?
arteta rates xaha highly.....hes always praising him....hes first on teamsheet, the captain and midfield leader

thats the problem with arteta.....hes so full of himself hes going nowhere soon

Redarmy
Posts: 6014
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:45 pm
Location: Avenell Road

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by Redarmy »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:44 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:55 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:06 am
The goal was Leno’s fault as much as Xhaka’s.

Leno should know better than putting the ball in a position where xhaka had no choice but to use his wooden leg.

I have now come to the conclusion we not only sold the better goalkeeper, but based on what I have seen Martinez is the best goalkeeper in the PL this season. For sure he would have chipped the ball out in that situation rather than trusted xhaka.



Stop. Just stop. He passed it to a guy who had time and space and the guy he passed it to fcuked up royally. The blame is xhaka's and xhaka's alone unless you want to add arteta's suicidal playing out from the back tactics :roll: Xhaka seen how partey came short and could play from the back in the move that led to our goal, and he thought "I'll have some of that" - the problem is of course that xhaka is basically a shit footballer who geta away with crap cos he points a lot.

His mistakes yesterday could/ should have led to two other goals against us, and again that is down to a lack of quality on his behalf and not on those players alongside him
Augie, it's a simple decision do you clear your lines or pass it to Xhaka on his right foot. It's not even a discussion. Leno can see Xhaka has his back to play and what's going on behind him,

They are both at fault. Whatever happened to collective responsibility.

:D :D :D

User avatar
g88ner
Posts: 14148
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:17 pm

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by g88ner »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:44 pm
augie wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:55 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:06 am
The goal was Leno’s fault as much as Xhaka’s.

Leno should know better than putting the ball in a position where xhaka had no choice but to use his wooden leg.

I have now come to the conclusion we not only sold the better goalkeeper, but based on what I have seen Martinez is the best goalkeeper in the PL this season. For sure he would have chipped the ball out in that situation rather than trusted xhaka.



Stop. Just stop. He passed it to a guy who had time and space and the guy he passed it to fcuked up royally. The blame is xhaka's and xhaka's alone unless you want to add arteta's suicidal playing out from the back tactics :roll: Xhaka seen how partey came short and could play from the back in the move that led to our goal, and he thought "I'll have some of that" - the problem is of course that xhaka is basically a shit footballer who geta away with crap cos he points a lot.

His mistakes yesterday could/ should have led to two other goals against us, and again that is down to a lack of quality on his behalf and not on those players alongside him
Augie, it's a simple decision do you clear your lines or pass it to Xhaka on his right foot. It's not even a discussion. Leno can see Xhaka has his back to play and what's going on behind him,

They are both at fault. Whatever happened to collective responsibility.
I don’t agree with that nutflush.

That pass triangle, starting from Leno passing forwards to a central player who then plays a first time pass to the fullback is something we do every game without an issue. It beats the press and works well.

The mistake is on Xhaka. Left or right foot, that’s a piss easy first time pass. Even after he takes a needless touch, he’s still in control and can clear his lines if he chooses too but he decided to stick to plan A and force a pass that was no longer on. Idiot.

User avatar
GoonerMuzz
Posts: 4904
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:53 pm
Location: Defending is optional

Re: Playing out from the back

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Putting Xhaka, as dogshite as he is, to one side this is a problem we have had since latter day Wenger and on through Emery and Freddie to now. As DB said pragmatism is the issue, and the goalkeeper is the player with the best view and needs to take control of the situation. Bringing knob head back in, he is crap, beyond crap, utter crap and every other type of crap out there and if we can see it then the professional well paid players around him should see it to and take appropriate action.

The idea that any Manager would not give leeway to his players for a situation like Saturday and for them to take an onfield decision especially the keeper is ludicrous, in fact it doesn't hold water as in numerous games recently Leno has hoofed the ball long only for PEA to be outjumped by the defender. So I'm sorry but the argument holds no water that they are not allowed to go long and have to play out from the back, Arteta may prefer them to play out but it doesnt mean they have to.

As far as I'm concerned it was bad decision making by both players but especially *word censored* face end of :rubchin:

Post Reply